Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I bought my gas in April for 60 I think for 11kg propane including deposit. I still have it :D what I do is use a luggage scale to figure out what is left on the bottle, but you will get months out of a bottle even if you’re using it a few days a week. It’s fairly miserly on gas I find. Regularly leave it on for 30mins before cooking and a few mins after

Good to hear it lasts ages. Think I'll pull the trigger on the gas attachment as it will be a lot more convenient than going in and out of the house to top up wood pellets in the winter. It takes about three top ups before it gets above 400c which is fine in the summer as Im out there anyway but its a pain in the winter.

Is propane the typical gas used for BBQs as well, like is the cylinder transferable? Was thinking of getting a gas BBQ at some stage and it would be handy just to have the one cylinder of gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Good to hear it lasts ages. Think I'll pull the trigger on the gas attachment as it will be a lot more convenient than going in and out of the house to top up wood pellets in the winter. It takes about three top ups before it gets above 400c which is fine in the summer as Im out there anyway but its a pain in the winter.

Is propane the typical gas used for BBQs as well, like is the cylinder transferable? Was thinking of getting a gas BBQ at some stage and it would be handy just to have the one cylinder of gas.

I think barbecues typically use butane but I could be wrong, either way the most important think is the regulator matching the head on bottle of gas. The gas itself there is very little difference between.

I have seen people making up “quick release” hoses to be able to switch between items using the gas also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pipmae

My Weber BBQ uses Propane and I the one I had before that from Homestore & More one also did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I have seen people making up “quick release” hoses to be able to switch between items using the gas also

Do you know anything about this? We need to set something like this up because we have 2 of the larger cylinders from an old fireplace that are almost full. I tried getting the parts and had a fair idea from the calour website what I needed but the lads in the local fuel place looked at me like I had 10 heads.

scarepanda wrote: »
    Do you know anything about this? We need to set something like this up because we have 2 of the larger cylinders from an old fireplace that are almost full. I tried getting the parts and had a fair idea from the calour website what I needed but the lads in the local fuel place looked at me like I had 10 heads.

I’ve seen it on the ooni Facebook pages etc. Uses something like this: https://shop.calorgas.ie/cadac-brass-quick-release-hose-nozzle.html?currency=EUR&gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDfxDCHteP5w0TbpLz7oAV8BRSVpoh0eDKs9ujZ4rU0szKe3wM0-raOBoCwwkQAvD_BwE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Unfortunately I'm not on FB.

Those connections are what I was looking at before. And I found a guide video online which made the job look easy. I'd just prefer to run it by someone irl just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

For outdoor, open gas appliances, propane and butane can generally be used interchangeably by just switching the regulator. The disadvantage of butane outdoors is that it becomes unusable in winter below about 5 degrees. For the majority of people who use their bbq only in summer this isn’t an issue. Propane is not suitable for use indoors but is perfect outdoors or in well ventilated spaces like an open garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭wba88

The cheapo peel I use at the moment has no handle, you need to wear an oven glove when retreiving the pizza or you burn the hands off yourself. I wouldnt recommend getting one without a handle, mine will be only used for launching pizzas when I do upgrade with a proper one. I need to find one with a foldable or removeable handle so I can fit it in the kitchen drawers.

Was thinking of getting the gas attachment now that they're discounted for Black Friday. Anyone know how much getting a full one of those 11kg grey patio gas cylinders is, I think there is some deposit? Also how long are users finding 11kg of gas lasting, are you getting a lot of cooks out of it?

I worked out (using Ooni's figures) that my Koda 12 uses 1kg every 3hours

wba88 wrote: »

Maybe that could be the case, I’ve never timed how long I usually have it on for and to be fair I’m only ever cooking 2 or 3 pizzas... still less than a euro an hour :)

wba88 wrote: »

Cheers, that makes the gas a pretty cheap option. An 11kg cylinder would get around 100 cooks at 20 minutes per use. Bought the gas attachment last night so just got to get sorted with a cylinder now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Still not as good as dominoes according to my 5 year old troglodyte..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Buy him Domino's; cook yours.

He'll know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Got my cheese and pepperoni from adimaria today!,addresspal got it last Tuesday and they only sent me a mail on Friday saying id have it in 3-4 days ,but it came today and it was two 1kg bags of mozzarella and one 1kg bag of pepperoni,it was all wrapped in tinfoil with 4 cooler gel bags ,they are all fine, maybe because of the cold temperatures now it would probably be a different story if it was the Summer,going to try them on a pizza on Thursday..

Since you were online a few hours ago it looks like the cheese and pepperoni that was in transit for over a week didn't kill you! :D

But was it worth ordering is the question I have? How did it turn out? I'm always on the lookout for a nice pepperoni that will cup in the oven and turn into little pools of grease. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Oat23 wrote: »
    Since you were online a few hours ago it looks like the cheese and pepperoni that was in transit for over a week didn't kill you! :D

But was it worth ordering is the question I have? How did it turn out? I'm always on the lookout for a nice pepperoni that will cup in the oven and turn into little pools of grease. Yum.

Ha ha no it didnt kill me :D

Yes it was worth it just pity the delivery took so long i think next time ill pay the extra delivery to the north and use parcel motel,i froze it all in individual bags and each bag would be enough for roughly 3 pizzas ,the cheese is nice and creamy doesn't burn and has a nice stretch to it ,and the pepperoni is a bit greasy for me so i put it in the microwave for a few seconds before i put it on the pizza and it cups up perfectly its the very same as you would get on a takeaway pizza ,i bought some chilli honey too and i drizzle that over the pizza and into the pepperoni cups its really good!

This is the honey i got for anyone interested
    https://hotstarhoney.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ha ha no it didnt kill me :D

Yes it was worth it just pity the delivery took so long i think next time ill pay the extra delivery to the north and use parcel motel,i froze it all in individual bags and each bag would be enough for roughly 3 pizzas ,the cheese is nice and creamy doesn't burn and has a nice stretch to it ,and the pepperoni is a bit greasy for me so i put it in the microwave for a few seconds before i put it on the pizza and it cups up perfectly its the very same as you would get on a takeaway pizza ,i bought some chilli honey too and i drizzle that over the pizza and into the pepperoni cups its really good!

This is the honey i got for anyone interested
    https://hotstarhoney.com/

I'm going to have to order some after Christmas then. Too nervous to do it at the minute with the strain the postal services are under. An Post took 3 weeks to deliver a package to Sligo after it was checked into their Dublin depot last month :eek:

Obviously I'll probably have to pay import fees after January, but I find it so difficult to find that cheap, greasy takeaway pizza pepperoni that my cheap taste buds crave. So I'm ready to give it a shot and pay the extra after reading the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

I ordered Nuvola via AdressPal - delivered to AP Tuesday, ready for collection at my local post office tomorrow (Thursday). Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Anyone looking for a good quality local (to Galway) hot honey, try this out:

https://www.thedoughbros.ie/products/the-dough-bros-hot-honey-130g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Lightening Deal on Amazon for a short, foldable handled Aluminium pizza peel - £20. It's not displaying on CamelCamelCamel, but it says the non-deal price is £40
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminum-Foldable-Storage-12-Inch-Homemade/dp/B01NBX7GOB/ref=gbps_tit_s-4_8fb3_971ead3a?smid=A2KK1V0E21M0WG&pf_rd_p=5770d944-b1ab-47ea-9c5d-78836d8d8fb3&pf_rd_s=slot-4&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=J6S75974TPNFWQ997M52

Anyone know if this one is any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Lightening Deal on Amazon for a short, foldable handled Aluminium pizza peel - £20. It's not displaying on CamelCamelCamel, but it says the non-deal price is £40
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminum-Foldable-Storage-12-Inch-Homemade/dp/B01NBX7GOB/ref=gbps_tit_s-4_8fb3_971ead3a?smid=A2KK1V0E21M0WG&pf_rd_p=5770d944-b1ab-47ea-9c5d-78836d8d8fb3&pf_rd_s=slot-4&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=J6S75974TPNFWQ997M52

Anyone know if this one is any good?

£20 is an ok price but I wouldn't pay £40! Nisbets.ie have a non-folding variety for about €20 inc. VAT. The folding handle would be handy for storage. Note that anything over 12" width won't fit inside the Ooni Koda.

With gas bottles does the deposit system mean you can only refill it in the same shop as you got the first one? Or does it not matter once you've paid the initial deposit?

• Advertisement

With gas bottles does the deposit system mean you can only refill it in the same shop as you got the first one? Or does it not matter once you've paid the initial deposit?

As far as I know you’re paying for the actual cylinder, so any shop should accept and swap it for a full, where you’re only paying for the gas

Cheers Pete, good to know I can bring it to any shop for a refill. On a motorbike so I dont want to risk carrying a cylinder of gas sitting on top of a tank of petrol in case I turn into a fireball :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Cheers Pete, good to know I can bring it to any shop for a refill. On a motorbike so I dont want to risk carrying a cylinder of gas sitting on top of a tank of petrol in case I turn into a fireball :pac:

I doubt they'll refill "your" gas cylinder for you. I'd presume they'll just swop it for a full one.

Just on this point - I have been told (open to correction) that the cylinders are designed to withstand very high temperatures and impacts etc just in case people are worried about transporting in a car (or on. Motorbike :D ) etc and there are failsafes to vent in gas in a way to prevent explosion.

Again, open to correction but I think the probability is quite low. I do realise that you were joking though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Irishder wrote: »
    Ordered the Koda in the sale, god knows when i will get it!!. Saw the peel with no handle as well, bit dangerous

Ordered this a few weeks ago and just got an email saying its with the courier, tought i would be waiting until March

Now for a few recipes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gas cylinders are swapped; not refilled on site. They're pressure tested, and repainted if needed, before refilling and sealing by the gas company.

You can bring the "wrong company" cylinders back if, for instance, you got a Calor cylinder and your local shop is Flogas, as they have a system to return each others empties to each other. There were investigated for cartel activity over this even though its actually pro-competition as it lets you change company cheaper!

You are basically buying the cylinder as nowhere will ever refund the deposit - maybe, just maybe the original retailer if you had the receipt but that's normally out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Irishder wrote: »
    Ordered this a few weeks ago and just got an email saying its with the courier, tought i would be waiting until March

Now for a few recipes

Was this for a Koda 12? Do you mind me asking if your order was placed on or after 25th November with order number greater than #EU37538? Their site says these orders won't be delivered until late March.

Mine falls into this late March category but I received an email a few days ago saying it would be shipped early and arrive before Christmas - not confirmed as dispatched or anything. So I messaged Ooni to see which version was correct and they're now saying the early shipment mail I received was a mistake. Hopes dashed 😢

Just on this point - I have been told (open to correction) that the cylinders are designed to withstand very high temperatures and impacts etc just in case people are worried about transporting in a car (or on. Motorbike :D ) etc and there are failsafes to vent in gas in a way to prevent explosion.

Again, open to correction but I think the probability is quite low. I do realise that you were joking though!!

ah yeah probabiliy of anything happening is quite low but I dont want to be arriving at a Garda checkpoint with a bottle of gas sitting on top of a petrol tank. Went through one a few weeks back with a 10kg bag of logs on the tank and got given out to for that :o

Just looking around now and a local shop has the 11kg Calor Gas Propane for 65 euro so will pick that up the next time Ive got a lend of a car

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Redlim wrote: »
    Was this for a Koda 12? Do you mind me asking if your order was placed on or after 25th November with order number greater than #EU37538? Their site says these orders won't be delivered until late March.

Mine falls into this late March category but I received an email a few days ago saying it would be shipped early and arrive before Christmas - not confirmed as dispatched or anything. So I messaged Ooni to see which version was correct and they're now saying the early shipment mail I received was a mistake. Hopes dashed ��

My order was place on Nov 25th order number EU390XX. I got a tracking number and says it was picked up.

• Advertisement

For anyone interested in American style pizza Snackmasters are doing a program on Dominoes pizza on Channel 4 Thursday 8pm. Two chefs will attempt to re-create a Dominoes pizza, should be good for some dough tips

Advertisement