Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mink trapping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

I have 8 caught this year but none in the last 2 months .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Woodcock shot

I’m similar enough, 6 this year but nothing the last 2.5 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Last mink I got was late last year on my place in North Mayo - I'm putting it down to NPWS trappers doing a job on a nearby island with seabirds these past 2 seasons that got hit with mink a couple of years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I'm looking to buy a few mink traps, and am looking for advice on which are the best ones.

I'll probably get them from MacEoin's in Dingle, and they have both double and single entry versions for sale on their website (I'm not interested in the 65e heavy duty ones):

https://www.maceoinltd.com/search?keyword=mink

There's not a whole lot of difference in price, so any advice on which are more effective before I go ordering would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Never tried the double entry. But have a lot caught in the single entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Have seen two mink today, young ones looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭J.R.

Coronavirus: Spain orders culling of almost 100,000 mink

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53439263

Some species of animals appear susceptible to the SARS-CoV-2 virus which causes COVID-19 including dogs, cats (domestic and wild cat species), ferrets and mink.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/customerservice/coronaviruscovid-19/faqsregardingcovid-19foranimalowners/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I'm looking to buy a few mink traps, and am looking for advice on which are the best ones.

I'll probably get them from MacEoin's in Dingle, and they have both double and single entry versions for sale on their website (I'm not interested in the 65e heavy duty ones):

https://www.maceoinltd.com/search?keyword=mink

There's not a whole lot of difference in price, so any advice on which are more effective before I go ordering would be much appreciated.

The NPWS are using that first one for 29 euro, so that would be my choice. I dont like double entry traps, and the few i do have, ive wired closed one of the doors, and just use them as single entry baited traps.

Eddie B wrote: »
    The NPWS are using that first one for 29 euro, so that would be my choice. I dont like double entry traps, and the few i do have, ive wired closed one of the doors, and just use them as single entry baited traps.

There's my answer, cheers mate

There's my answer, cheers mate

Yea, a few years back i met the guy who had/has the contract for trapping mink on the Shannon. His boat was stacked up with those traps. He said they were very good. I was tempted to get some at the time, but i had far too many traps as it was. What i like about them, just frim looking at them, is that double door locking mechanism. I do have a rat trap with the same type door mechanism.

• Advertisement

Is it the double entry he said were very good?

I have been trapping my local river for a number of years now. Trout seemed to have almost disappeared from the river. There seemed to be a bit of a recovery last year in fish numbers. This year a major recovery seems to have taken place. A good few fish rising. All around 1/2 lb. Maybe next year numbers might increase again with heavier trout more abundant. No mink caught this year. No fish with bite marks. I am convinced that mink predate heavily on trout when fish are abundant.

Yea, a few years back i met the guy who had/has the contract for trapping mink on the Shannon. His boat was stacked up with those traps. He said they were very good. I was tempted to get some at the time, but i had far too many traps as it was. What i like about them, just frim looking at them, is that double door locking mechanism. I do have a rat trap with the same type door mechanism.

Hi Eddie, in your first reply you said you thought the single-entry traps were better, but here it seems the other way round, or is it just me getting mixed up? (Very likely!)

Can you clarify, thanks a mill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I know squat about catching mink, but as i understand it, one post is talking about double entry traps the other is a double locking mechanism ?

oleras wrote: »
    I know squat about catching mink, but as i understand it, one post is talking about double entry traps the other is a double locking mechanism ?

That could be it, thanks oleras

oleras wrote: »

Yea sorry lads, probably worded it badly. As above, i meant that door mechanism on the 29 euro trap. Yer man said its a good mechanism, and hasn't had anything escape from them.

Any chance someone could spread Covid 19 to Irish mink. I have that trap that Eddie is talking about. The single entry one with the double locking mechanism @ €29. They just can't get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Any chance someone could spread Covid 19 to Irish mink. I have that trap that Eddie is talking about. The single entry one with the double locking mechanism @ €29. They just can't get out.

We have some old, ****ty rusty ones. I'll try post a photo tomorrow. We should really catch the ones we have been seing. They follow an obvious route.

Funny thing is they can look super cute, especially when young, but I can't imagine the devastation they cause

Yea sorry lads, probably worded it badly. As above, i meant that door mechanism on the 29 euro trap. Yer man said its a good mechanism, and hasn't had anything escape from them.

I've ordered 4 of these from MacEoin's, thanks for the advice.

Does anyone know anything about the best way to get rid of human or other scents from traps, or is it necessary?

I don't anyhow. They don't seem to mind human scent. Bury the cage into the side of the bank.Place some mackerel under the cage behind the trigger mechanism Cover the cage with vegetation then some earth. Put smaller pieces of mackerel in along the cage. They will try to get at the bait if you don't cover it and set the trap off.

I don't anyhow. They don't seem to mind human scent. Bury the cage into the side of the bank.Place some mackerel under the cage behind the trigger mechanism Cover the cage with vegetation then some earth. Put smaller pieces of mackerel in along the cage. They will try to get at the bait if you don't cover it and set the trap off.

Yea agree. Mink aint too bothered bout human scent. I dont bury my traps but often peg it down with tent pegs. Apart from that, i cover as you do. I done a couple of youtube video's last year on how i set cages, but nothing is set in stone. Whatever works well for the individual is the way to go.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies gents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Yea agree. Mink aint too bothered bout human scent. I dont bury my traps but often peg it down with tent pegs. Apart from that, i cover as you do. I done a couple of youtube video's last year on how i set cages, but nothing is set in stone. Whatever works well for the individual is the way to go.

Any links to videos,thanks.

Asus1 wrote: »
    Any links to videos,thanks.

Sorry about the quality. The weather wasn't the best. Wet and windy. As i said, nothing set in stone. Just how i set em.

https://youtu.be/-PRENioJ2HI

https://youtu.be/IHFLekWYcy8

Double post

Lost a good trout last night. First good fish I hooked in maybe 8 years. Due to intensive trapping of mink in the spring fish numbers and bigger fish are more abundant.

Lost a good trout last night. First good fish I hooked in maybe 8 years. Due to intensive trapping of mink in the spring fish numbers and bigger fish are more abundant.

That is a pitty, but good to know there are decent fish in the river again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Sorry about the quality. The weather wasn't the best. Wet and windy. As i said, nothing set in stone. Just how i set em.

https://youtu.be/-PRENioJ2HI

https://youtu.be/IHFLekWYcy8

Nothing wrong with either,both fine for me good information in all your vidoes and the 1 you linked to of the lad making the trap is great.What was the air-rifle you were using.I use to use the air rifle too now I use cci 22shorts in the 10/22 not as safe as the air-rifle but if you put the cage on a soft piece of grass it cuts down the danger a bit.
    Also your beard is epic must be a b1tch to keep clean.

Asus1 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with either,both fine for me good information in all your vidoes and the 1 you linked to of the lad making the trap is great.What was the air-rifle you were using.I use to use the air rifle too now I use cci 22shorts in the 10/22 not as safe as the air-rifle but if you put the cage on a soft piece of grass it cuts down the danger a bit.
    Also your beard is epic must be a b1tch to keep clean.

Its a Norica .22 spring loader. Nothing special, but does the job. Yea beard can be annoying, but herself likes it lol

That is a pitty, but good to know there are decent fish in the river again.

Not worried about losing the fish as all fish are returned anyhow. Really good to see sizeable fish there again. Next year should be better.

• Advertisement

Just looking at your concrete pipe and snare Eddie. Is there any need to bait the pipe?

Just looking at your concrete pipe and snare Eddie. Is there any need to bait the pipe?

No need to bait any of those run through set ups. It's all about location. If you can spend a bit of time looking for spots where mink are likely to pass through, then you can set them up with a pipe, wooden box, rocks etc, and then just use them each year. You could leave them as permanent corridors for mink to use, and then set a trap in them whenever you want.

Some places I don't need to do anything except stick in a pipe, box, etc and it's good to go. Other places, I may need to block off gaps/openings, at the location with rocks, brush etc, so as to leave your set as the easiest route for a mink to get from A to B.

Nine times out of ten, a mink will take the easiest route.

If using plastic pipes, I usually cover with soil or rocks, so's it stays in place all year, incase of flooding. Little bit of work involved, but they make one hell of an enticing tunnel for mink.

I'll visit that concrete pipe location, come September, see if there is any sign of activity. Didn't trap that spot at all last year.

Would otters get caught in them? Have you any pictures of your snares? And how they are made up.

Would otters get caught in them? Have you any pictures of your snares? And how they are made up.

The loop is only three to three and a half inches wide. There is no chance of an Otter getting caught in one. Even a young Otter is two big to get his head into one.

Caught a fine 1lb + trout last evening. First 1lb trout I have caught where I fish in maybe 10 yrs. Further proof in my mind that mink predate heavily on trout when they are available. Been trapping mink now for a lot of 10 yrs where I fish.

The fish was released again.

Question for all ye trappers. Why are gin traps illegal where as fenn traps are legal.

• Advertisement

Question for all ye trappers. Why are gin traps illegal where as fenn traps are legal.

Fenn traps are designed to catch and kill small animals like rats, mink, squirrel. They are also designed to be used in an artificial or natural tunnel. They are a body gripping trap, and not a foot holding trap. A gin trap is more so a foot holding trap, and seen as inhumane. Outlawed since the 70's i believe.

Thin line between the two of them.

Distemper in Mink. Any of ye hear of distemper in mink. Seems to be a noticeable reduction of mink numbers around me. Thought it was my trapping that was reducing numbers. I was told recently that they got distemper. Comments welcome.

Distemper in Mink. Any of ye hear of distemper in mink. Seems to be a noticeable reduction of mink numbers around me. Thought it was my trapping that was reducing numbers. I was told recently that they got distemper. Comments welcome.

Have never heard of it in mink. What about that dreaded Covid 19 virus?

A Google says they can and do get distemper.

• Advertisement

A Google says they can and do get distemper.

Any links to suggest there is an outbreak in wild mink here in Ireland?

A wild mink in America has tested positive for corona virus.

It will probably build up resistance to it and pass the resistance on to all the mink all over the planet. Make them in to super mink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,072 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Gin traps are pressure release.IE something like a paw has to put pressure on the plate to fire the trap. It is a holding rather than killing device.

Fenn and Coniber and others are pull release.IE there is a bait and it is wired into the mechanism so the animal's body has to be well within the jaws of the trap to affect instant death.
    Beats me why we aren't allowed to use deadfall traps here. Done right, and in the right size they will kill anything from rats to foxes.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Any mink being trapped. Put my cages down last week. Nothing caught. A good sign I hope. No mink footprints either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Quiet my end too - may be down to the Big F**K of a dog Otter thats hanging out on the shore of my place in North Mayo currently

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Can anyone post a link to a good site with trapping tips, many thanks

Can anyone post a link to a good site with trapping tips, many thanks

If you look back on the older pages here. I think there should be some.

Any mink being trapped. Put my cages down last week. Nothing caught. A good sign I hope. No mink footprints either.

I done a couple of weeks. Very little action this year. Not sure why. A couple of lads i know, have had plenty.

I done a couple of weeks. Very little action this year. Not sure why. A couple of lads i know, have had plenty.

Maybe you are getting on too of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement