Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations for Italy

Big area where I'm not gonna be bored after a couple of days and short enough transfer preferable.

I was looking at Sauze d'Oulx but the amount of drag lifts is putting me off.

La Thuile - 2hours from Geneva (or you can fly through Milan and Turin) and big area (connected to La Roisiere in France)

or the beautiful Dolomites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations for Italy

Big area where I'm not gonna be bored after a couple of days and short enough transfer preferable.

I was looking at Sauze d'Oulx but the amount of drag lifts is putting me off.

I would not worry about the Drags to much in Sauze, most of them are concentrated on skiers right in Sauze. they can be avoided by heading over to Sanssicario and Sestriere. Both have excellent lift systems and had big upgrades in 2006 for the Turin Olympics.

Its a great area with super skiing and the relatively few drags are worth it! One of htem is a complete pig through the forest but the rest are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Looking for suggestions on a resort. We've skied in Arinsal fora few years, I'm looking for something a bit more challenging for myself but still easy enough for herself, she's comfortable taking her time on reds but can get nervous if the pace pics up.

I don think we would enjoy VT, we don mind a busy atmosphere but like to get a decent sleep and a good days skiing done

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

stecleary wrote: »
    I don think we would enjoy VT, we don mind a busy atmosphere but like to get a decent sleep and a good days skiing done

I don't think VT precludes either of those unless you want it to.

having said that, I've only been there once, and that was just my second ski trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Looking for suggestions on a resort. We've skied in Arinsal fora few years, I'm looking for something a bit more challenging for myself but still easy enough for herself, she's comfortable taking her time on reds but can get nervous if the pace pics up.

Stay on the outskirts and vt would be OK. Also have a look at Les 2 Alpes, it might suit you better. It has some lovely reds, and a fairly busy nightlife that can be easily ignored.

My biggest gripe with vt is, it's difficult to access the rest of the 3v. It's by no means impossible , but the queues at the end of the day, getting the lifts to return make it easier to stay in the vt area, and you just end up doing that - path of least resistance, and all that.

Hey Derek, what are your plans this year? Not joining P & L on their trip to Colorado? I'm aching to go to Japan, but S seems set against the idea.

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    Hey Derek, what are your plans this year? Not joining P & L on their trip to Colorado? I'm aching to go to Japan, but S seems set against the idea.

Hah! I can only imagine Paddy's face if anyone decided to tag along with them! :pac:

Japan sounds interesting. Apparently it's mainly lots of small resorts and of course the snow is supposed to be amazing.

We're hoping to do a family trip this year, possibly somewhere in Austria, but no idea which resorts would suit as yet. I may trouble this thread for recommendations at some point...

Dero wrote: »
    Hah! I can only imagine Paddy's face if anyone decided to tag along with them! :pac:

Japan sounds interesting. Apparently it's mainly lots of small resorts and of course the snow is supposed to be amazing.

We're hoping to do a family trip this year, possibly somewhere in Austria, but no idea which resorts would suit as yet. I may trouble this thread for recommendations at some point...

Is Will going with you, or what are his plans?

Zell am See, in Austria, is nice, would be fairly family-friendly too, lifts close to town etc. Nice Ski area and Kaprun is only a short bus trip away.

Is Will going with you, or what are his plans?

Zell am See, in Austria, is nice, would be fairly family-friendly too, lifts close to town etc. Nice Ski area and Kaprun is only a short bus trip away.

Will check that out, thanks Cormac.

Will is planning a similar family holiday. We did mention the possibility of all going together, but nothing concrete yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

ah glad to see the thread already started. Has anyone got any recommendations for a ski destination in December? (Europe, looking at Christmas week). Don't care for nightlife or anything like that - as long as it has proper snow and ski facilities/rental/lifts etc

I typically go around February/March but since my workplace insists on me using up all my leave before year end, this seems like a good option. I think the problem though is the lack of snow - so what are the places I should be looking at with best chance of snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

3 Valleys or Espace Killy are two good bets. Even if we get another slow start to the season three two should be ok then and if the snow cover is good you have two huge areas to explore.
    In Italy try Cervinia as its at 2000mts.
    Not sure about Austria but anywhere with glacier skiing should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

Does it have to be Alps? Would you look at Norway, Scandinavia? Much earlier season (but expensive!)

khc wrote: »
    Does it have to be Alps? Would you look at Norway, Scandinavia? Much earlier season (but expensive!)

It doesn't have to be Alps, I'm just very conscious how short the days are in Norway at that time of year, I'm not sure if I would like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

martinsvi wrote: »
    , I'm just very conscious how short the days are in Norway at that time of year,
    A lot of resorts are floodlit so plenty of night time skiing

A lot of resorts are floodlit so plenty of night time skiing

thanks, any resort recommendations?

ah glad to see the thread already started. Has anyone got any recommendations for a ski destination in December? (Europe, looking at Christmas week). Don't care for nightlife or anything like that - as long as it has proper snow and ski facilities/rental/lifts etc

I typically go around February/March but since my workplace insists on me using up all my leave before year end, this seems like a good option. I think the problem though is the lack of snow - so what are the places I should be looking at with best chance of snow?

Somewhere high, if you want to be sure of snow - say Cervinia or Val Thorens. Cervinia can be very windy though. Val Thorens could be a better option, as you'd have the potential of a larger ski area, if the other parts of the 3 Valleys are open.

Any where with skiing over 1,800 meters, Maxyrhofen, with Hintertux as a back up on the bus incase the snow is poor. Solden, Tignes all good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Anyone else notice the darker mornings ? evenings arent stretching anymore
    its getting closer :)

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the darker mornings ? evenings arent stretching anymore
    its getting closer :)

I can feel it in my bones, it's like the quickening, from The Highlander

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

I can feel it in my bones, it's like the quickening, from The Highlander

15cms of snow on the Hohe Salve last week...Mad! Hurry up winter!!

fannymagee wrote: »
    15cms of snow on the Hohe Salve last week...Mad! Hurry up winter!!

There you are now, Fanny!

I was getting a coffee this morning and the guy serving me was giving out about how the days were shorter and the weather was getting worse. I was debating with myself whether I should explain why I was happy about it, thankfully I didn't. It's too much effort to explain, and unless they actually shared an interest in winter sports, which most people don't, they'd think I was a complete gobsh*te.
    Anyway, first frost of Autumn is the next milestone, I reckon. From then on in it's freefall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I only started sniffing around the forum maybe a week ago once our group of mates started getting serious about booking.

Can't wait to get booked. We normally go second full week of Jan but that's basically the second week of January this year. Thinking of putting it out to the third week. Probably going to go to Mayrhofen again as I think it's one of the best value for money resorts out there. Zell am Ziller just down the road on the train and Tux up the road in case of a snow disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭prunudo

CardinalJ wrote: »
    I only started sniffing around the forum maybe a week ago once our group of mates started getting serious about booking.

Can't wait to get booked. We normally go second full week of Jan but that's basically the second week of January this year. Thinking of putting it out to the third week. Probably going to go to Mayrhofen again as I think it's one of the best value for money resorts out there. Zell am Ziller just down the road on the train and Tux up the road in case of a snow disaster.

I hear you re Mayrhofen, I've done 4 weeks there and would happily do more. OK it's not massive but I've barely scratched the surface of the other options down the valley. It's just ticks so many boxes from good value to short transfer to nice town..... I could keep going.

The group I normally go with want to try somewhere else but I'm scratching my head for alternatives. I'd like to try France again but unfortunately the apres just doesn't compare to the Austrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

jvan wrote: »
    IOK it's not massive but I've barely scratched the surface of the other options down the valley.

Yea it's not huge, but I couldn't get over how quick it was to get from Mayrhofen to Zell am Ziller. Had been to Mayrhofen 3 times but never went to any of the close resorts as I always just want to get on the snow asap once I wake up.

Bus from Penken to train station (5 mins max) straight onto train to Z am Z and short bus to lift. I'd say we were skiing within 30/35 mins of leaving the bottom of penken.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Yea it's not huge, but I couldn't get over how quick it was to get from Mayrhofen to Zell am Ziller. Had been to Mayrhofen 3 times but never went to any of the close resorts as I always just want to get on the snow asap once I wake up.

Bus from Penken to train station (5 mins max) straight onto train to Z am Z and short bus to lift. I'd say we were skiing within 30/35 mins of leaving the bottom of penken.

The conditions were great this year when we were there so we didn't even bother venturing away from the penkenbahn.

There are very few resorts in Europe that tick the boxes that the Zillertal valley do, High level, low cost accommodation, snow sure, modern lifts, cheapish lift pass, Large area.

Always have and will have a huge soft spot for Mayrhofen, despite skiing, hintertux every December and May for the past few years I haven't skied Mayrhofen in too long. The old lift that served Ramsau was a hidden gem in good snow on low viability days! Proper old world skiing and charm on deserted pistes.

I might have to unfollow this thread, all I can think about the last 48hrs is booking a trip to Mayrhofen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

My spidey senses a little behind you lads, it was only last night when I noticed it pitch dark at 9pm and the chill in the air this evening that my ears pricked up.

But pricked up they did!

Will be time for the ski flick promo vids shortly.

In the mean time no harm in posting my favourite ski trailer of all time:-

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Only did one day in Mayrhofen but loved it, good steep slopes, lovely town, only pain seemed to be bus to lifts in the morning - any ski in to town there?

The trailer for the sequel to The Art of Flight, 'The fourth Phase' has been released

https://youtu.be/1LsNaoodhew

But here's the trailer to my favourite film 'Double Decade' although the it doesn't really do the film justice

https://youtu.be/YZMgBuF1UZ0

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    The trailer for the sequel to The Art of Flight, 'The fourth Phase' has been released

https://youtu.be/1LsNaoodhew

But here's the trailer to my favourite film 'Double Decade' although the it doesn't really do the film justice

https://youtu.be/YZMgBuF1UZ0

Imagine, some people get paid to do that :D
    I saw the Art of Flight trailer on the Red Bull TV app last week - some good stuff on that app, install it if you don't have it already. Torstein Horgamo does a very funny pisstake of the first Art of Flight - "We need to take some fuel, from there, to there" - on his video, Horgasm a Love Story.
    Will check out Double Decade, cheers.

Advertisement