Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce yourself...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Hi there,

I work as a clinical psychologist for the HSE. Great to see a psychology forum on Boards. I hope I can learn a few things and maybe even contribute now and again.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bluemoon21

Im a newbie to, i currently study Psychology at A level, in the UK. I find the subject completly fascinating and really enjoyable. I am planning on a future career i psychology depending on my results next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭The Sheriff 101

Hi also my first post i find psychology fascinating and just wanted to learn more.
    I am currently studing computing and would like to change from computing to psychology but not really sure what area to enroll.:confused:

"" toaster I've also worked with Federal inmates ... just seeing the criminal mind at work, now THAT was interesting! "":eek: :eek:

Yes i would find that interesting would that be behavioral science .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TheBaldyCoot

Layman psychologist to date. Will be starting a course in dorset street this year. I have one year done with the OU and i finished exploring psychology which was an intro to the different perseptives.

social constructionism, cognitive are very interesting for me. I am also very interesting in exploring statistics without maths for psychology through spss on boards so be prepared for some experiments on boards from me and i will publish the pschological statistics associated with them.

This may require a meeting up of the boards psychology board members so i would leave that open to others also to devise or utilise an existing experiement that we could use to gather some quan or qual statistics.

The Baldy Coot

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

HI

I am currently studying psychology applied to IT which covers a fair bit, it glosses over the good stuff; neuro-psychology, language and comms, social and organisational, trans-personal, forensic and sports are my areas of interest. my course also covers ergonomics, usability engineering, design and a wee bit of computer languages etc. but i find them boring.

but ethics is where the real debate is!, milgram anyone??

rollie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Just another poster who has no experience in the field so therefore likely not going to reply much but I am very interested in how the mind works and trying to figure out why people react as they do so I look forward to some interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gabber

Hi all,

This is my first time to post anywhere on Boards.ie but it seems apt as I came upon the Boards through the psychology forum. I am a practising Clincal Psychologist. I work with children, teenagers and families and have done so for the last 9 years or so. Hopefully I can contribute but I'll probably just listen in for a while until I get the hang of this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Emoocrap

Hello, my name is Trevor. I am only 15, but would like to look into getting into psychology. I am naturally drawn to it thanks to my previous lack of motivation in life. It was not depression, but i didn't have a goal, so life was overwhelming. I was looking to find the answer to life (which is a different topic that i love :P and choose to immerse myself in, read my thread in the philosophy or cuckoos nest forums) and i found My answer, though i believe it to be The answer. Anyways, i was reading through some of these, and i noticed a guy toward the top said that he likes the theory, What is the theory? i would like to know. I have flipped through my brothers college book on psychology and it seems interesting, but i was unaware that there was a theory. Input would be much appreciated. (post a new thread,to keep this thread on subject make a new one titled something like "the psychology theory" or PM me...)

Thanks, Trevor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Razao

Hello all,

My name's Razao and I'm interested in psychology from a merely amateur point of view. I've never formally studied the subject ( :( ), which is something I'd quite like to change one day.

I've lately become very interested in hypnosis and suggestion, mostly for therapeutic use. Though, anything psychological is interesting to me.

This looks like a great board, and it's nice to meet you all.
    Regards,
    Razao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Hey all..
    First time wandering in here to be honest.
    Never had a reason to until this year when I had to study Developmental Psychology(Piaget, Vysotsky, Information Processing etc), Educational Psychology and Moral Development(Gilligan, Kohlberg) as part of my course.(2nd year B.Ed student)
    Have 2more semesters of the above subjects..as then i'll be finished/have my B.Ed degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Philemon86

Im a Psychology student in AMCD Going into third year, hoping to get into clinical eventualy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cianlee

i'm also new here... Hope we can exchange different thoughts here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nedser

Hi, my name is Sinead. I'm graduate with a first class honours degree in Psychology. I graduated in 2005 and shortly afterwards headed overseas. I spent 18 months in New Zealand and whilst there gained experience working in community Mental Health Services. I have recently returned home and currently seeking employment in mental health, neuropsychology or some sort of community support role. I've spent a lot of time on the inteternet looking for relevant jobs but am having no luck. Don't really know how these sites work but I'm hoping that someone in the forum might have suggestions on the employment front. Cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

Well I've had an active interest in psychology since I was a teenager and did 3 years of the subject in high school(they offered it in year 10 that I took it). I however am not the type of person whom would have been able to handle such a profession, I am far too much of a sensitive person for that if you know what I mean, I'd be too likely to take other people's problems home with me.
    I occasionally use the net(not always the most accurate source but still helpful) to study various areas of the subject but am nowhere near an expert.
    In additon I've been diagnoised with a few mental problems including:
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder
    Social Phobia
    OCD
    and while I may not have currently been officially diagnosed for the moment very well believe I am suffering from depression, not the first time in my life either.
    I've also had 2 breakdowns in my life.
    I've seen many different people in the mental health profession and it's got to the point where I have been able to work out their various styles to a certain degree.
    One question I will ask, when someone asks about various things is it ok for a person such as myself with no qualifications in any mental health areas to answer in any way at all?:confused:

Anyway hi out there to you all.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dexter123

Hi there,

This is dexter.. nice to meet you all and its my pleasure to be here with you all in this forum.....i will be in touch with you all...

Cheers

Dexter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi, am just thinking about studying it, 3 kids, no time .
    Maybe someday.In the interm, I am educating myslef along the way.
    I cant spell, but I dont let that stop me.Thanks to F7
    anyways,
    Areas that interst me,
    ADD/ADHD
    ASD.AS
    and the parenting issues.The way your mind has to work to focus on different things, at the same time.On different levels.
    Your reaction to dangers, your view of dangers , what you see that others cant.Why cant they, why can you.
    Communication , reading people, not in a psychic way but , just knowing by their voice, stance, look, what they feel, and they trying to find out why and fix it.
    I am a fixer.
    Cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Ava Grace

Hey :)
    I'm a newbie to Boards and joined cause of this forum, it's such a good idea.
    I have a degree in psychology and am currently working as a research assistant, with the aim of going for a Ph.D in the future. I'm really interested in positive, abnormal and health psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nimi85

Hey.. Im just going into the final year of my Degree in Psychology. Let the stress begin :eek: Im startin to freak out a bit.. mainly because i have NO IDEA what Im gonna do for my Thesis.. anyone got any interestin ideas? Throw anything my direction, Im sure itll make for interestin reading :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 witchofagnesi

Hi all,
    I'm new to boards.ie and am happy I've finally found an Irish psychology forum that is actually used. I'm currently entering the 4th year of a BSc in psychology in the UK and would like to return to Ireland to work after graduating with the aim of eventually doing a PhD in clinical psych. Although at times I've also considered running away to a nice hot country to study non-human primates all day and leaving "humanity" behind ;)
    Anyhow I'm looking forward to talking to you all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 chezdee

Hi all

I've been in and out of this psych board but haven't introduced myself until now. I finished my BA in psych this year and will be starting a MSC in Counselling & Psychotherapy in DCU at the end of the month. This is another step towards eventually doing a PhD in Clinical Psychology which seems like light years away.

I'd be interested in hearing from any clinical psychologists out there about what paths they took to get their PhD and any advice they might have.

Chez Dee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

im an arts student in NUIG studying psychology and classics. will be doing a conversion course next year before moving on to a MA in art therapy *fingers crossed*. this summer im going to work with abandoned children in thailand.

i'd be interested in advice on what to expect and handle these kids, tbh im used to working with regular irish kids not emotional distrubed ones as i have experience as an art teacher for the last few summers. working with kids like these is something i'd eventually like to do fulltime and i'd like to hear from people who work with troubled kids on mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 conb77

Hi,

Im a secondary school teacher who is thinking of taking the plunge and going back to the books in order to study Educational Psychology.As I have no foundation in psychology Im looking to plan my route through evening courses and then onto the Educational Pscychology itself.It seems quite daunting!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 finny72

I'm going to do a psychology course long distance and won't benefit from being in a class therefore, would be great to meet people who are interested in the same area. I would like to discus different problems people have in their lives etc.

Does anyone know the difference between Psychology and Counselling? As maybe Counselling would suit me more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DomCom

I'm interested in CBT and counselling. I've had depression previously, but have been able to manage it so better since subscribing both of these. I am interested in studying psychology in the future. I am especially interested in how people face challenges and how their attitude impacts on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 finny72

DomCom wrote: »
    I'm interested in CBT and counselling. I've had depression previously, but have been able to manage it so better since subscribing both of these. I am interested in studying psychology in the future. I am especially interested in how people face challenges and how their attitude impacts on this.

I had a big problem with depression too but now I'm fine. One thing is to surround yourself with nice people and meet regularly. Then you are also forced to change and improve yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bob lee swagger

hi,

im currently doing a ba hons in psychology with the open university

done a tour of iraq with usmc last year

hope to work in clinical field

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭marthaclark

I'm Martha, 2nd Year Applied Psych at UCC.. love psychology, but I'm starting to think I'm not ready for the course.. it's my dream job but this course is way too intense and my head just isn't in the right place.

I know I'm going to regret dropping out.. hopefully go back as a mature student.

I still read independently. I'm just no good with stress right now.

I'm an idiot really. I've resolved to drop out and yet here I am talking about psychology. I spent most of last night in the personal issues section of this board thinking about other peoples problems and trying to be helpful!

Did anyone else have problems with their psychology courses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jimbobru

You are who you are,
    And what we believe and act on is what we are all doing
    I believe in people, the human race as a whole,
    We all make mistakes and learn from them,
    Humans learn from bad things and we change ourselves accordingly based on what mistakes we make
    Soon the human race will dissolve itself to nothing then we are will all be one
    One mind and one conscience that works in harmony
    We are the rolling stones music, we are ecstasy, and we are Ray Charles, Steve Wonder, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, John Lennon, and Led Zeppelin......LOOKS OUT!!!

We are one mind that is working towards perfection we are the greater good

We are apart of a legacy whether we like it or not
    The way we act and carry on; the way we are; if the whole world believes and acts in a certain way...........we can roll forward as one

One great mind that works like ants; all doing a little jobs that makes the overall being survive. We do this on a bigger scale than they do, but still on a tiny insignificant scale that we don’t know about, maybe there’s something much much bigger than us out there; and we are fighting a battle with them that we don’t even know because the government are fighting it for us and not telling us what’s going on, big crazy aliens attacking us;.... about ten times the size of us.......but we wont hold out for long and soon everyone will find out, its just a big conspiracy!!!! But we’re all involved; we all could be that president, that leader, that Prime Minister, that dictator (Mussolini), that Taoiseach (come on Ireland) who knows what any of us could be now....................

DO YOU??????????????????????????????????????....

Wear sun screen, if I could over you one piece of advice.............go home lock the doors it’s a mad world and it ain’t nothing without a woman...............................

PS I copied and pasted my re-type password

Does anyone think I’m sane?

We all find ourselves in some kind of despair, who are you......better still who is your neighbour, if everyone wants to be someone else where will the circle end?????????????????????????????it might be infinity movies, music, sex, TV, rock and roll....l new old indifferent......its all part of the same thing like your pulse. One beat at the same time for all of us, simultaneously,..

It’s all fcuked up now; what ya gonna do???? There’s always this open window here beside me............

I might even be immortal, I could always pretend

FcuK OFF

But I could help the world, the window is closed now; it all feels so different, what was I saying before......the world, its just normal, everybody is just going about there daily chores outside this window......working 9 – 5 what a way to make a million...........this could be Rotterdam or anywhere........

I feel like no one is listening to me, boy bands are sh1t, sex and the city is sh1t, friends is not too bad, what is ryan tuirdy doing, men should NOT wear pink, women are driving the world into turmoil, they are throwing in too much emotion into the world, homosexuals are weird; what are they thinking, MALE BUM, AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, freaks...and they call me crazy

THE END IS NEAR; WE ARE CREATING OUR OWN DISTRUCTION.

Are you further out there?

[FONT=&quot]CAN YOU HELP ME?????? PLEASE HELP ME>>>>>>>>>>

it could be worse it could all be real............
    [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm going into 3rd year studying computer science and history in UCD. I studied a bit of psychology in 1st year (developmental, social, and history of psychology), and in 2nd year I did a module/class called Introduction to Cognitive Science, which gave me a taste for things like perception, locomotion, thought, language, etc.

Since I finished that class (only managed a C -- unfortunately having an interest does not necessarily mean I will actually study :( lol), I've been fascinated by all things cognitive sciencey! So I started checking out websites like New Scientist, and subscribed to a blog or 2, and have spent more time looking at videos of talks, debates, etc., on TED.com, YouTube, Edge, and the likes, than any healthy person should do :D I've read a few research papers, experiments and the likes, and am (slowly) getting through my first CogSci book -- Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate.

I'm particularly interested -- as I suppose are most people! -- in consciousness, or what we percieve as consciousness. I'd be inclined to think that what we percieve as consciousness is simply the result of having a more complex neural system than other animals, but that ultimately there's nothing special about humans beyond that fact :) So I'm intrigued by neuroscience and brain anatomy, and how the different parts of the brain account for different actions, personality traits, emotions, etc. -- and how tinkering with, or damaging, specific areas of the brain will result in specific disorders.

I'm going into my final year in college, and I need to up my grades a bit this year so that I have the option of possibly doing a Masters in Cognitive Science in the future. I certainly won't be going straight into it after my undergrad :), but I'd like to have the option. I'd say the Computer Science degree would be relevent enough to be accepted.

Anywho, that's me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Roisin89

I would really like to study Psychology next year. I didn't get in this year, so I am doing a PLC course that's related and will hopefully get my points up so I can reapply =]

Advertisement