Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce yourself...

Options
  • 27-10-2005 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

any special areas of interest in psychology or is there anything else you would like to learn?

Me: im a 3rd Occupational Therapy student in TCD ( i work with all ages of people with both physical and/ or learning disabilities, and those with mental illness).

the subjects iv done in college include; social and personality psychology, developmental psychology, intorduction to psychology and applied psychology, and psychiatry.

i also will be doing health psychology next term.

i'd like to learn more about social psychology as i enjoyed studying it.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've never studied psychology formally. I am looking forward to learning mroe about the theory though. :)

I've been in treatment for a number of years, so naturally have some degree of personal interest in it. But mostly I find the theory fascinating.

I am curious as to whether discussing mental illness as a learning disability and/or disadvantage would be on topic here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I completed my arts degree in Psychology and Philosophy. Currently doing a 1 year H. Dip in Psychology so I can gain entry to a phd in clinical psychology (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think this forum should take Indy's approach on the Biology forum, if someone wants to discuss a mental illness but not look for diagnosis it should be allowed. So many people think that split personality = schizophrenia for example. We should be dissolving myths and stigmas.

By the way I'm John and I'm in final year of a neuroscience degree in TCD. I've covered a fair bit of psychology both in college and care of my girlfriend (a psychology graduate and currently a special needs assistant for autistic kids).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Good advice John2 - sound good snorlax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Adblock

Hi all
    I don’t study psychology in college, but I think it is one of the most interesting areas in science. I’m glad to see there is now a psychology form. I would love to learn more and more about this area.

Also
    So many people think that split personality = schizophrenia for example. We should be dissolving myths and stigmas.
    I couldn’t agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

thanks Cloud for the response, the charter is now modified accordingly, i split the thread so to keep this one on topic and to provide a place where people can discuss potential ideas/ directions for this forum as i think informed feedback could be useful for every forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I haven't studied Psychology... but I've always been interested in some of the characters involved in it's developement.

Wilhelm Reich is a particularly interesting character to me.

I've also been on the receiving end of someone suffering from severe psychosis who tried to murder me.

I think this forum will be of great use as there is far too much wishy washy spiritual crap floating around out there as an excuse for mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I did a course in Psychology with CTYI, so I've only a taster of the subject but it's a greatly interesting one. We did general introductions to developmental psychology, social psychology, cognitive psychology, and perspective, as far as I can recall. And I did my project on Dissociative Identity Disorder V. Schizophrenia, so I must agree with that point. So much misuse of terms... *mutters*

Anyways. I'm interesting in learning more about psychology, considering going for it in college, but have not yet decided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I have done some social psychology in college as part of a business degree, but very specific and very basic.

I'm fascinated by psychology, and love reading about it, and attempting to interpret it.

I probably won't be a massive poster on this forum, purely because I may not have anything constructive to add, but I certainly will read most threads, and try to learn as much as I can.

Further down the line I may take a course in it as a personal interest, not professional, so I will be keen to see the discussions that follow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I am doctor, currently working in St. James's and have an interest in psychiatry.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I have studied Psychology in college and flipped the coin on becoming a psychiatrist/surgeon/nurse...
    Surgical Nursing won out though I will have to do my rounds in the psyche ward before completing the program...psyche evaluation and all that. It has alway held my interest but there are some things about it that I dont want to get involved in so I decided since I cant go to Med school at this stage in my life Id like to do surgival nursing so I can atleast assist in surgery.
    Maybe at some point when Ive completed college and work more closely with patients I wil decide to go back into it but for now Psychiatry is something Ill keep on the backburner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have always found Psychology to be an interesting subject. I kind of studied it a few years ago. I studied A- Level Psychology in a tech in the North. It is normally a 2 year course but we did it in 1. Due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to sit the exams.

I am still very interested and have always said if I won the Lotto I would go back and study it.

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Mark J

DubGuy wrote:
    I'm fascinated by psychology, and love reading about it, and attempting to interpret it.

I probably won't be a massive poster on this forum, purely because I may not have anything constructive to add, but I certainly will read most threads, and try to learn as much as I can.

Further down the line I may take a course in it as a personal interest, not professional, so I will be keen to see the discussions that follow :)

:) ^^^what he said^^^:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭solicitous

Hi everyone.. im a newbie here- oh no.. not another one?!
    Well im at rock bottom stages of psychology - im doing an adult education
    programme in the subject, on completion of this im going to apply to TCD
    as a mature student. I would love to get into criminology, its so interesting.
    I think i have to wait for the 2nd or third year in before we are allowed to stream into our main areas of interest. Im thinking about doing a night-time law intensive next year also. Has anyone else here applied to college for psychology as a mature student?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Hi everybody, I'm in the " DubGuy" and "MarkJ" catagory on this one too. I've read loads about it but wouldn't feel qualified to comment too much. Anyway great to see this new catagory. I own a garage, I'm not involved in psychology as a career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Another non-student who'll be mostly reading, not posting. :)

I work in a special needs school as a secretary to the psychology and social work departments and educational psychology is my main area of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 belgravy

hi,
    yes, I did pretty much the same route as yourself, did a prep course and then applied both directly to universities and through the CAO, I would advise to do some volunteer work in the field e.g. care assistant as it will greatly improve your understanding of the subject and people.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

I'm a practising Clinical Psychologist for the last 16 years. I worked in mental health with adults for 10 years and am currently working as a Principal Clinical Psychologist in the disabilities area. I recently finished working on the Psychological Society of Ireland's (PSI) Presidential Advisory Group on the Public Understanding of Psychology and I'm very interested in the forum and how people perceive psychology. There are a lot of myths out there and a lot of misinformation and confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I'm a psychology student and have also studied a little social science. My mother was a Doctor of Psychology and so I've always been surrounded by it and used for research purposes. Teehee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hippie

Hi all (my first post!)

I work in the area of psychology and am very interested in it. Also interested in psychoanalysis and hoping to do my doctorate in clinical psychology. It's great that this is here, hope to get discussing lots of psychology-related stuff and if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Hippie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭solicitous

belgravy wrote:
    hi,
    yes, I did pretty much the same route as yourself, did a prep course and then applied both directly to universities and through the CAO, I would advise to do some volunteer work in the field e.g. care assistant as it will greatly improve your understanding of the subject and people.

I know what you mean about getting experience.. any other ways i could get it though? my interests like in the darker shades of psychology, and the thought isnt very appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hello there!

I'm new to this thread & indeed this forum *waves*

I have no formal education in psychology but I love the subject as a whole - it's facinating - and I'd love to do a child psychology degree through OU when my kids are a bit older & I get the time to study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

First post on this forum -
    I hold a psych degree from Maynooth, and am currently pretending to be a PhD student in the UK. My main area of interest is behaviour analysis, specifically language and its relation to complex behaviour. My current research area demands a working familiarity with cognitive neuroscience and various psychophys. measures, especially EEG [currently the only person using this dept's swanky EEG lab - what would Chomsky say?].

I have fewer qualms about sticking my oar in than some of the posters above, but I do promise to flag when I'm talking from the outer reaches of my knowledge base. If it appears that I'm vocalising through my rectal passage, I probably am and members should feel more than free to point this out. My P score is high enough that I won't be offended in the least.
    Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Didn't know we had a psycology forum. Interesting.

Sub-added; I'm here to learn :) (don't gots me no trainings)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 toaster

Hello,

I work two jobs: one with developmentally disabled adults and children with autism and my other night job is a behavioral health tech at a mental hospital for paranoid-schizophrenics. Yeah I work in a nuthouse.

Even though my major in college was physical therapy, it wasn't what I really wanted to do: I was more interested in why people do what they do -- curious how the mind worked. In the fall, I'm going for my second degree -- behavioral science.

It should be familiar to me since I've worked with all kinds in the GMH -- general mental health field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 toaster

I've also worked with Federal inmates ... just seeing the criminal mind at work, now THAT was interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

I'm a Mum, a wife,and I am fascinated with the workings of the human mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi all

I done a good bit of psychology in college, but my main interest as well as my BA and MA are in psychoanalysis, been working in the addiction field for the past eight years. New to boards but it good to see a psych thread. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I work in adult mental health last 20 (b@$%* h*ll, didn't realise it was so long) years. Cognitive behavioural orientation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm just finished my first year of Behavioural science and I'll be using this to get tips, advice and the know how! Great to see so many experienced posters!:D

Advertisement