Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce yourself...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mmurphys

Hi there i began a course in Dublin Business school this January. The course is very interesting and you also can identify with how you as a person reacts to situations.. I am not too sure about if i will do the Degree but its something to think about. I have a Degree so can go in for the Higher Diploma.. I think its a course that everybody should do if they get the chance to do it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum over the last couple of weeks and getting a lot out of it. There are some great people contributing a lot on here in terms of support and advice.

I finished a BA (Hons) in Counselling & Psychotherapy in CIT last year and I signed up for a HDip in Coaching Psychology in UCC straight after it; a decision I have regretted at times over the last 6 months but I have enjoyed doing the course itself and meeting the people on it.

I'm working full time in a factory by day and seeing client(s) in my home in the evening as I work towards accreditation. I've been getting a bit disheartened lately at the lack of professional prospects and the long road ahead but the information and advice given on this forum has perked me up a bit :)

The thoughts of starting a Masters is a bit daunting at the moment but the way things are it will have to be done at some stage.

Ken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cool Runnings

I said if I was going to start engaging more on boards instead of viewing from the sidelines I better introduce myself ;)

I am a qualified psychotherapist with a particular interest in addiction in adolescents - I did my BA in counselling and addiction studies . I also have a sub speciality in suicide , depression and self harm .
    I am newly qualified so still finding my feet in the world of psychotherapy , but absolutely adore the challenges that comes with the job .

It can be tough at times but I would not do any other job !

C>R

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I said if I was going to start engaging more on boards instead of viewing from the sidelines I better introduce myself ;)

I am a qualified psychotherapist with a particular interest in addiction in adolescents - I did my BA in counselling and addiction studies . I also have a sub speciality in suicide , depression and self harm .
    I am newly qualified so still finding my feet in the world of psychotherapy , but absolutely adore the challenges that comes with the job .

It can be tough at times but I would not do any other job !

C>R

Welcome, it will be nice to have another therapist interested in the addiction field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

I have a masters in health psychology. Social psychology was very interesting at college, but not interesting enough for me to pursue a career in it. The psychology of health could be described as behavioural medicine i.e. how the things we do affect our health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Trishis

Hi GUys,

I have completed 3 years with the Open University, - Psych intro, exploring, social science, child & biological...I have another 2 subjects to cover yet...cognitive & social psychology

I love the course and I would really love to finish it but Its quite demanding and as its distance learning I feel its difficult to stay on top of things...

Also I am not getting any hands on experience....
    I would love to maybe move my training somewhere else (in Dublin) and task things from there with hopefully some on site trainings involved....no good me in my room with my books with no experience at the end!! Anyone know what college might take me on?

any advice very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Trishis wrote: »
    Hi GUys,

I have completed 3 years with the Open University, - Psych intro, exploring, social science, child & biological...I have another 2 subjects to cover yet...cognitive & social psychology

I love the course and I would really love to finish it but Its quite demanding and as its distance learning I feel its difficult to stay on top of things...

Also I am not getting any hands on experience....
    I would love to maybe move my training somewhere else (in Dublin) and task things from there with hopefully some on site trainings involved....no good me in my room with my books with no experience at the end!! Anyone know what college might take me on?

any advice very much appreciated

At degree level you would not be getting any clinical experience from any college really, your degree is just about getting you started, developing a base line in other words.

In terms of experience, you find you have too do what a lot of us did and that was to volunteer in places where though you will not be getting clinical experience, you are in that type of environment, or there are the various helplines and stuff where if accepted and after training you may start off getting a small amount of experience in working with people.

Anyway, welcome to the psych forum, I hope you find it helpful here and don't be afaird to ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Hey everyone,

I couldn't remember whether I'd introduced myself or not but it seems I didn't! I just finished my undergrad in Psychology in TCD and have an interview for an M.Sc in Neuroscience on the 7th of this month.

I'm mainly interested in the neurological correlates of brain damage/brain degradation so I'd be more of a neuropsychology fan than traditional psychology. I volunteered in the Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience as a lab assistant for an addiction study and I'm starting work experience there again next week on another project, but I'm not sure what exactly I'll be working on.I did my final year project on the neurophysiological and behavioural effects of brain stimulation.

I don't know how useful my contribution to this forum would be since I'm more interested in neuro stuff, but I'll see what I can do, anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Louise_M1990

Hey just wanted to introduce myself here.

I did a course in Social Studies last year, but half way through it I realized it wasn't for me and that I wanted to do Psychology.

Now I'm waiting for my one year intro course into Psychology, then hopefully go full into Criminal Psychology. Didn't get chance to read through this thread, so I'm off to do that now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 trace51

Hi everyone!

I posted a few times but only just saw this thread so thought I would introduce myself, I have a BA in sociology and psychology and a HDip (conversion) in Psychology, and almost have an MSc in ABA. I will probably be reading more than posting here, Ive found alot of useful info so far, but would like to contribute where I can! I always wanted to do clinical eventually, although sometimes I get tired of the long road, seems the further I get the more I realise i still don't know!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 msc1

Interested in all areas of Psychology, particularly health psychology and the role of stress on illness

• Registered Users Posts: 1 squarehead

Hi All,

I'm new to Boards so thought I'd introduce myself here. I am half way through an M.Sc in Health Psychology. I'm a little bit obsessed with anything psychology-related!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mito

I am contemplating doing a degree course with the Open University (OU) in either Psychology or Counselling. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with these courses via the OU and what has been the outcome as regards quality of course & qualification aswell as how useful (how rated) such a degree was in attaining employment. Thanking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hello people! I'm David and I am in 1st year of a B.A. Psychology degree in the National University of Ireland, Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

Hello, I'm Woolly Jumper ;) I'm an Environmental Psychologist and working in London in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Hey everyone, I'm Lyra Fangs and I am in the final year of my psychology degree in UL. Hoping to do a masters in psyc science next year and then onto a doctorate in clinical psychology!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Hello 1996

Hello!
    I am just after finishing TY and I would love to study psychology in college. What 5th year subjects would anyone recommend taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

Hi all!

I'm a psychology student at the moment, doing a BA honours degree. Waiting on results as I defered my exams this year, so hopefully starting my second year in a couple of weeks. Never knew there was a psychology forum on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I don't think I've ever introduced myself.. I have a BA in psychology, spent seven years working with homeless people with mental health/addiction problems before realising that I really want to work in research. Just finishing a masters in social research, so if anyone needs a research assistant.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

I have never spotted this introduction sticky either! Ha!
    Have a degree in psych, masters in psych and started a PhD psych a few months ago.

*Waves hello*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

Yay i passed all my exams, I get to change my intro!

Current second year psychology student, hoping to specialize in forensic psychology and criminology! Will probably go abroad for my MA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 corkcogniitve

Hi, My name is Paul and I am CBT Therapist in Carrigaline, County Cork. I have a BA in Applied Psychology, Dip in Adolescent Psychology and a Post Graduate Dip in CBT. I am a member of the Psychological Society of Ireland and the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP). I am currently in private practice within a medical centre.

I am interested in people opinions and the chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 corkcognitive

CBT Therapist working in private practice in a medical centre in Carrigaline. BA Applied Psychology, Post Grad in CBT. Affiliated to Psychological Society (PSI) and British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP).

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Pokiedots

Hi All, I am a Play Therapist, Child Psychotherapist and am currently finishing a Masters in Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy, looking forward to the discussions!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭Banneret

Hi all,

My name is Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Skipette

Hi all! Currently studying for an MSc Psychology in Glasgow,native of the wesht!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DalaiAlma

Hi! I'm a new joiner to Boards. I'm an assistant psychologist based in London in an NHS adult LD service, and as of September, I'll be a trainee educational psychologist in Mary I. I'm CBT-trained too, so I'm also working towards getting my BABCP accreditation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Follaton_Wood

I'm starting the H.dip in psychology in DBS in Sept, coming from an unrelated background. Really looking forward to it :)

Would be great to learn more from people here.
    FW

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DrDex

Hi there,

Thought I'd introduce myself too, im a first year (or end of) psychology student in IADT, really love the stuff and am paarticularly interested in abnormal/clinical and forensic psychology :)

Any questions, do ask :)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Lemai

Hi!
    I'm in my 8th year of study soon to be 9th! I have a BA in Psychology. Year post grad abroad. Year post grad in Ireland. Entering into my final year of my MA

Advertisement