Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Smyth's Toys seem to be a vendor on that list, is there a chance that it will be coming to us through them, I wonder?

edit: Nope!

Nah its for smyths UK. XAA would be a no-brainer for most :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I switched from 360 to ps4 last gen and probably will stick with Ps5 this time around, might even go digital only if price is right.

Have a beefy pc so can play the xbox exclusives on that in great quality with gamepass.

Only have an Xbox to play fifa clubs with friends so might get the S to satisfy that itch.

Probably won't pre order either as I want to wait past the initial demand to see if there is any issues with either and I'm in no rush either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Vicxas wrote: »
    Think my biggest gripe is aside from Cyberpunk there's no hype for next gen. When the PS5 and Xbox come out. What are we excited for? We Cod? New Assassins Creed... Colour me underenthused

And even Cyberpunk is coming out ths Gen and won't be Next Gen version until "sometime 2021"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I doubt they will be with most JRPGs coming to PC I don't see why they couldn't come to Xbox as well. The big ones certainly will though, from the likes of Square enix.

They've tried to break the japanese market twice now with the OG XBox and 360. They made a half hearted attempt with the One getting timed exclusivity on Raiden V and D4 which the sent out to die.

The only japanese gamers interested in the xbox are the hardcore japanese gamers that like to play weird exotic western games.

Which kind of weirds me out. As there is probably a version of me over in japan but instead of playing weird japanese games they play 'weird' western games like fortnite, CoD and Assassin's Creed :eek:

Yeah, that's what I meant, yeah, I wonder if they'd push hard into the RPG market to try to break Japan one last time. But difficult to see given Sony and Nintendo's dominance over there and their focus on RPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

And even Cyberpunk is coming out ths Gen and won't be Next Gen version until "sometime 2021"

Tbf they did say they would have PS5/XSX enhancements ready to go day one. It will likely just be a higher framerate+res but at least it is something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Damn this hype building malarky. In the space of two days I've gone from "meh, I'll upgrade eventually" to searching for trade in offers. I'm not far off 40 and I barely play the bloody thing as is, when does it end?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Vicxas wrote: »
    Think my biggest gripe is aside from Cyberpunk there's no hype for next gen. When the PS5 and Xbox come out. What are we excited for? We Cod? New Assassins Creed... Colour me underenthused

I feel the same about it really, I think it's all 'must have' and hype, a bit of keeping up with the Jones' - I feel this way about all the hyped up incoming Cpu/Gpu too - people are falling over themselves to pre-order cards that haven't officially been tested yet

I don't see any huge leap from a Ps4 or xbox one to this latest gen [same with current gen gpu for pc to what's incoming] in terms of graphics either [remember when each new gens was actually a big jump up? pson to ps2, xbox to 360, master system to Megadrive etc] ] - all this high tech upgrade talk points to just 2 things ... higher res and more fps. The average non hardcore gamer isn't going to notice anything major, faster load times too I guess.

The only reason I'd take interest in the S is so I can play my game pass titles more comfortably on the sofa without having to move the PC that I can already play them on as high res as I'd need - I know it'll end up becoming just a fancier Netflix box after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'll be getting the PS5, I'm pretty much determined to get all the consoles eventually but I've always been a playstation head. I've only bought an xbox one x about a month ago but I'm already blown away with how much better gamepass is than PSNow. But I think it'd be a bit much to pick up a third console in the space of 3 months so I'll probably leave the series X for a few years.

I have a fairly decent PC as well but I just never feel as comfortable playing games on it as I do on a console.

I think I've hit the same problem as many others here in that I have less time than ever to play games, but on the other hand, I finally earn enough money to buy stuff when I want it. And lets face it, the majority of us are in the same boat so the console wars are probably obsolete since most of us have the option to pick up multiple consoles per generation now

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Probably upgrade my GPU to a rtx 3080/AMD equivalent first, then 12/18 months down the line add a console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RedXIV wrote: »
    I'll be getting the PS5, I'm pretty much determined to get all the consoles eventually but I've always been a playstation head. I've only bought an xbox one x about a month ago but I'm already blown away with how much better gamepass is than PSNow. But I think it'd be a bit much to pick up a third console in the space of 3 months so I'll probably leave the series X for a few years.

Buy Ninja Gaiden Black.

I'll accept your thanks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

After watching the Playstation 5 reveal last night, I'm probably sticking with Series X as my day one purchase.

I currently have an Xbox One X and a Switch. I didn't have a Playstation in the last generation.

Nothing earth-shattering in the initial pipeline for either PS or Xbox, but Xbox wins my initial funds by virtue of backwards compatibility with my current library, Game Pass and the better specs.

I do have an interest in PlayStation Plus, with a view to having a go at stuff from PS4 that I never played. So maybe the digital version PS5 at some point. Although I'd prefer if this was available in a neater version, like the Xbox S.

It does seem to me that Playstation have also been smarter in opening pre-orders earlier. Seems a lot more hype being generated,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

One of my favourite generations was the Xbox 360/PS3 era, the Xbox 360 completely nailed it for the most part and is one of the best consoles I have ever owned. For obvious reasons didn't go with the Xbox One last time due to no exclusives worth owning and the initial Xbox One with that silly kinect and under performance was the nail in the coffin.

I have loved my ps4, however about 3 years ago I really started rooting for Microsoft to hopefully launch their next console with lots of exclusives this time around and avoiding all the original mistakes of the Xbox One launch. What I really wanted was the xbox 360 days back but on a new console, loads of exclusives, powerful tech and all friends owning the same console again. The fact that Microsoft started buying up all these studios looked very promising and I was starting to believe that they would be back hitting the ground running with this one.

I love the look/design of the Xbox One Series X, when it was unveiled I got very excited and waited for the games hype to start and then we had those presentations showing nothing particularly exciting and then we had Halo getting delayed and now here we are back with no real reason to buy an xbox yet again.

Sony's presentation last night really nailed it so much great stuff coming out and lots of exclusives so I pre ordered my PS5 from Smyths. I may well get an Xbox Series X at some point but it won't be till they have a couple of must have exclusive titles worth owning, something other than Forza or some sports game. The Series S is more tempting for me as I would love to access Xbox Games Pass so I may run with that instead to own alongside my PS5/ Ninendo Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'll hold off at launch I'd say, and stick with PS4. Might get a series S coming towards next summer just cos of gamepass being good value, and wait til Ps5 exclusives are built up and for the inevitable hardware revision

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

PlayStation and Xbox have both failed to sell next-gen (an opinion piece on gamesindustry.biz, some of which is hard to argue with, but early days of course. He doesn't seem to understand the Series S capabilities though).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Will be getting both, but first Xbox Series X, then later on, most likely next year PS5 without disc drive. And hopefully building a brand new PC next year too, when dust settles.

Game pass is just such a fantastic service, that I pretty much stopped buying games. Even better, when I can use it on my Pc/Laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'm already bored hearing about both, and the new graphic cards tbh. Nothing I've seen to date convinces me that these consoles are true 'next gen' - they look no better than the current ones, just faster load times and higher fps at higher res. Nothing in any of those 'show cases' screamed next gen in any way. Higher end PC gamers have nothing to worry about even with their current spec

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm already bored hearing about both, and the new graphic cards tbh. Nothing I've seen to date convinces me that these consoles are true 'next gen' - they look no better than the current ones, just faster load times and higher fps at higher res. Nothing in any of those 'show cases' screamed next gen in any way. Higher end PC gamers have nothing to worry about even with their current spec

A high end gaming PC can cost infinitely more than these console though.

That kind of outlay isnt for everyone, consoles appeal to casual and hardcore players, knowing they dont have to spend a months wages on a PC rig.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I noticed it this gen but this next gen really solidifies it, the graphical jump from generation to generation is getting lower and lower and with this next generation it's not wowing me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

How would it be possible for the 8th gen consoles to have the kind of leap in graphics that you would have had with previous generations?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I noticed it this gen but this next gen really solidifies it, the graphical jump from generation to generation is getting lower and lower and with this next generation it's not wowing me at all

I mean, this is pretty inevitable at this stage, no? Games have routinely looked incredible for going on a decade now. There’s only so far you can push photorealism and density before you hit technological limitations. A game like The Last of Us 2 looks outrageously good already - only so far you can push it further.

Even in the PC space things like ray tracing are nice flourishes rather than things that will absolutely blow your mind.

The one thing I would say is that the increasingly expensive nature of things like ray tracing hopefully means more games will offer performance modes as an alternative. Already something we’re seeing.

Although I will say that Demon’s Souls looked like a genuine step up in fidelity compared to recent games. Excited to see what emerges further down the line, but really I think the days of quantum leaps in graphical quality are out the window simply because games already look so damn good.

• Advertisement

How would it be possible for the 8th gen consoles to have the kind of leap in graphics that you would have had with previous generations?

I'm not saying it should. It's just why should I be interested when all this gen seems to offer is better lighting and reflections. I predict I'll still have to deal with the same triple A games while the real innovation comes from indie.

Just can't get excited about this gen. But then again I couldn't get excited about the current gen either and it ended up as disappointing as I imagined.

I'm probably biased as I'm already invested in the xbox ecosystem, but Game Pass coupled with the most powerful console really wins it for me, Xbox Series X no doubt about it.

I never did bother getting a PS4 as I would have no time for anymore games, but I'm actually considring picking up a PS4 instead of a PS5. As PS Now matures I'll likely just dip in and out of that instead of getting a PS5.

I know people are invested in one ecosystem or the other, but I really think people have got it backwards this gen and it should be the PS5 as the 2nd console, purely for exclusives. PS has got great exclusives but I find theyre the type you can easily hold off and get them later down the line at a fraction of the price. Especially as we're now looking at €80 for a game :eek:

They're also committing to bringing exclusives to PC, so there's that option too.

PS Plus Collection looks to be Sony's answer to Gamepass.

Could just be an expansion of their PS Now streaming service though.

Exclusives from Sony coming to PC are apparently end of console life exclusives so don't expect to see everything coming to PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Big jump in the sound quality. Which matters more than graphics.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I pre ordered a ps5, I wonder will xbox series x sell out as fast as ps5 ones did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I pre ordered a ps5, I wonder will xbox series x sell out as fast as ps5 ones did.

Depends on the scalpers unfortunately. The fact its known well in advance what time its available for pre-order means they could go fast and there might will be site crashes for some too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'm not saying it should. It's just why should I be interested when all this gen seems to offer is better lighting and reflections. I predict I'll still have to deal with the same triple A games while the real innovation comes from indie.

Just can't get excited about this gen. But then again I couldn't get excited about the current gen either and it ended up as disappointing as I imagined.

I thought a pessimist was never disappointed.

RasTa wrote: »
    Big jump in the sound quality. Which matters more than graphics.

If you have the room for it and the right sound system. And I still think it's overblown how good it will be. Would be lovely to get proper surround out of a pair of headphones but we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm definitely intrigued by the haptic feedback that Sony are pushing with the DualSense. I mean it's not enough of a USP that it'd sway people either way and it'll all come down to how well it's implemented (especially since many multi-platform games likely won't bother doing anything with it, same way most don't do anything with the Dualshock touchpad), but in terms of adding something new since graphical advancement is reaching something of a plateau, it could make playing some games feel different enough that it does feel next-gen.

I'm also tempted by the headphones to experience the 3D audio advancements but I'll wait to see what the reception is to it. I have a soundbar system which should be fine regardless.

• Advertisement

The switch pretty much has it and while it's impressive in demos, 1,2 Switch uses it really well, practically it hasn't changed anything other than providing much nicer rumble. Locking triggers is new but again I kind of see it as a gimmick along the lines of the pressure sensitive buttons on the dual shock 2.

I'm skeptical about the 3D audio but would be nice if it was a game changer.

However in terms of game changing gameplay I think it's not going to come from the hardware but from a developer making the next PUBG, Demon's Souls or Minecraft to shake the industry up.

Advertisement