Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JohnK wrote: »
    Has the NFC bit been clarified for this yet? There was some early talk where one group said no NFC but others were saying it would have it. As a recent convert to Google pay I couldn't go back now.

https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-review-894669/

no NFC according to most reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

JohnK wrote: »
    Has the NFC bit been clarified for this yet? There was some early talk where one group said no NFC but others were saying it would have it. As a recent convert to Google pay I couldn't go back now.
    sydthebeat wrote: »

I've also seen just one review where it said NFC will be available depending on the market its sold in. If true then I would expect the European models to have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I guess we'll find out tomorrow when the go on sale in France?

tedpan wrote: »
    There's no NFC, check GSM arena.

Not really surprising at this price point with the rest of the flagship specs. Nothing comes close for the price.

It's not surprising, but it's nothing to do with the price point or specs. I have a €90 phone with NFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Went and picked up the base version for 315 from mi espana who claim no customs issues as they ship to Spain first and then Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭corks finest

The thing I look for in a flagship killer phone is fast updates. Nice hardware but old software is something that bothers me.
    Xiaomi are slow enough with their Android one phone updates, just as an indication.
    Mi are too slow for me ref updates, leaving as soon as 6.1 plus price drops (3td mi phone )

Just noticed it works out cheaper (€294) from the eGlobal Central UK site than the .eu site.
    Yep and Nokia 6.1 plus is e25 plus cheaper, but no way of knowing if u need to use pmotel for goods,was on their site ,can't get to email customer care to verify

Yep and Nokia 6.1 plus is e25 plus cheaper, but no way of knowing if u need to use pmotel for goods,was on their site ,can't get to email customer care to verify

The 6.1 plus has a CPU with about 50% the power of the F1 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

No you don't need to use parcel motel with eGlobal.

They ship from Hong Kong to the UK in bulk and then use DPD for delivery from the UK, they guarantee that you won't have to pay customs.

Shipping time is normally 7 or 8 days.

But be sure to pay the extra for insured delivery. I'm not sure if it is still going on but at the time that I bought my Nokia 8 from them there were a lot of phones going missing from DPD in Athlone and if you haven't paid for the insurance eGlobal will be of no assistance and DPD will only deal with the shipper. Lots of posts on boards from people having this problem.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Do-more wrote:

Do-more wrote:
    They ship from Hong Kong to the UK in bulk and then use DPD for delivery from the UK, they guarantee that you won't have to pay customs.

True about the EU site.

But, they're talking about the eglobal UK site, it's UK only and unsure if they will deliver to parcel motel..

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »

Shipping time is normally 7 or 8 days.

But be sure to pay the extra for insured delivery. I'm not sure if it is still going on but at the time that I bought my Nokia 8 from them there were a lot of phones going missing from DPD in Athlone and if you haven't paid for the insurance eGlobal will be of no assistance and DPD will only deal with the shipper. Lots of posts on boards from people having this problem.
    Thanks,that's a balls ref phones going missing,takes the gloss off it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

There's 2 years warranty with the phone if bought off certain EU sites, I don't think eglobalcentral is included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Mi are too slow for me ref updates, leaving as soon as 6.1 plus price drops (3td mi phone )

I have the mi A1 and and that's suppose to get fast updates but compared to other Android one phones Xiaomi have been slow at updating the mi A1.
    This Pocophone not being android one but a regular MIUI phone would worry me in terms on updates. It will supposedly get Android Pie but after that? Monthly security updates? Probably not much will be happening with it 6 months after it comes out. Maybe I will get the Mi A2 since Google have them under a knife to update the phone more regulary as part of the Android one program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

eglobalcentraluk.com/ charing 33stg insured postage to Northern Ireland??

actuar90 wrote: »
    There's 2 years warranty with the phone if bought off certain EU sites, I don't think eglobalcentral is included
    eGlobal is not an EU site as such, the phones they supply are normally sourced in Asia. They have a 1 year warranty and you need to send the phone to their repair centre (somewhere in eastern Europe I think), so it can take some weeks.

At the time I bought my phone from them it was approx. €150 cheaper than the cheapest I could find locally so I was prepared to take the chance.

Whilst I haven't had any problems with them, for a saving of €30 - €50 I wouldn't be rushing to buy the Poco off them.

IMO it would be much better to wait a little and buy off a European retailer at the rrp and preferably from one of the Amazon sites and know that you have a rock solid guarantee.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Flash sale in Mi India website tomorrow at 7:30 am...tempted...just need to find someone to get it here...6+64gb just 21k...so thats roughly 250 eur ...

All sold out in a minute.. incredible

If 128gb is any use to you, that model seems to still be in stock on the UK Site, works out at just under €317.

It's now on the normal site 331e :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Looks like the OnePlus 6 smokes it in a head to head... but we are only a few days into its life so software updates still to come. (and not forgetting that price)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why is everyone so obsessed with updates tbh? There hasnt been a killer feature added to Android in ages, its just minor tweaks. Security isnt the big deal people make it out to be either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

god's toy wrote:
    Looks like the OnePlus 6 smokes it in a head to head... but we are only a few days into its life so software updates still to come. (and not forgetting that price)

Miui is always heavy Oxygen OS will beat it any day. Custom Roms shud decrease the gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Thargor wrote: »
    Why is everyone so obsessed with updates tbh? There hasnt been a killer feature added to Android in ages, its just minor tweaks. Security isnt the big deal people make it out to be either.

Same reason people are obsessed with speakers, RAM, etc. People are different.

There's lots of stuff in the new versions that I wouldn't want to stop using again.

Miui is always heavy Oxygen OS will beat it any day. Custom Roms shud decrease the gap.

Does this kind of stuff really exist anymore? I know it used to make a difference back in 2012, but i really don't think it's a massive thing anymore.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Does this kind of stuff really exist anymore? I know it used to make a difference back in 2012, but i really don't think it's a massive thing anymore.

I don't want to look at MIUI no matter what year it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Throw Nova on there or any other launcher then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Seems very promising re custom roms.

459825.jpg

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Throw Nova on there or any other launcher then.

Launchers are just a home screen and an app drawer.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Launchers are just a home screen and an app drawer.

But really, 95% of anyone's usage is home screen, app drawer, and play store apps that are the same on any phone.

Basil3 wrote: »
    But really, 95% of anyone's usage is home screen, app drawer, and play store apps that are the same on any phone.

That's grand, but I couldn't look at MIUI with a launcher personally. There's too many options out there to have to anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Based on my non-existent Spanish, am I right in thinking that from this that Xiaomi's official partner in Spain is Aliexpress?
    And then from this that it's currently available for €299?

Presuming they only ship to Spain, is there a Spanish equivalent of Parcel Motel with insurance to cover getting it to Ireland? Or is there another reliable looking option elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

Has the Kevlar edition gone on sale anywhere yet?

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    Has the Kevlar edition gone on sale anywhere yet?

I've not seen it yet. I'll likey go for that version myself if possible.

Edit:
    https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-POCO-F1-Armoured-Edition-6_18-inch-8GB-RAM-256GB-ROM-Snapdragon-845-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1343725.html?utm_campaign=Kimo30&utm_content=Isabela&p=QV2409786796201409DB&cur_warehouse=HK

Hong Kong warehouse though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I put the poco launcher on my Redmi note3 and it's very slick. Like how you can list apps by colours
    Apk on apkmirror if anyone wants to try it.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/xiaomi-inc/poco-launcher/poco-launcher-2-6-0-3-release/poco-launcher-2-6-0-3-android-apk-download/

Hong Kong warehouse though.

I definitely wouldn't risk buying another phone from banggood or gearbest. Have been hit with customs 3 out of 4 times in the passed 6 months.

I'll definitely order from eglobal or locally once the 256GB is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

tedpan wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't risk buying another phone from banggood or gearbest. Have been hit with customs 3 out of 4 times in the passed 6 months.

I'll definitely order from eglobal or locally once the 256GB is available.

how long would you think that would be?1 month/3months?

how long would you think that would be?1 month/3months?

From what I've read online, before the end of September. Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

corwill wrote:
    No Widevine L1, so no HD Netflix, etc.

As long as there's YouTube, I'm happy. Don't stream Netflix or anything like it to my mobile :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

corwill wrote: »

Would people actually watch Netflix on their phones? It's not something I've ever done and wouldn't imagine it'd be great to be honest with the small screen and eating battery.

Been having itchy fingers the last few days and looking at lots of different options to change from my One Plus 5.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Would people actually watch Netflix on their phones? It's not something I've ever done and wouldn't imagine it'd be great to be honest with the small screen and eating battery.

Been having itchy fingers the last few days and looking at lots of different options to change from my One Plus 5.

I do occasionally. I see a fair few on the train doing the same.

Not a massive issue for me, as the same position prevails on my OnePlus 5, but it might be for others.

720p is more than enough on a screen that small for movies/tv shows anyway.

• Advertisement

720p is more than enough on a screen that small for movies/tv shows anyway.

It seems from the linked article that Widevine L3 only gets you 540p streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Silly question, but has this actually launched in Europe? There was the launch announcement earlier in the week, it seems to be officially on sale in Spain (but I can't find a way of getting one forwarded on) but there's not much anywhere else. Amazon UK and France seem to have a handful of 3rd party seller who look like they're importing it based on the delivery dates.

MOH wrote: »
    Silly question, but has this actually launched in Europe? There was the launch announcement earlier in the week, it seems to be officially on sale in Spain (but I can't find a way of getting one forwarded on) but there's not much anywhere else. Amazon UK and France seem to have a handful of 3rd party seller who look like they're importing it based on the delivery dates.
    Mi.com had a sales launch in Spain yesterday which looks like it sold out at around 4am this morning. Here is Mi.com's Spanish sales site and the Aliexpress page that it link's too.

Hard to tell for sure, you can only scroll back the transaction history to page 51 but it looks like they only had about 1000 units available. They only had the 6/64 version available in Black or Blue @ €299 after a €30 off voucher available on their website.

Next Spanish sales event is not until Sept. 5th. but delivery is only available to a Spanish address.

Here in Sweden the local Xiaomi agent has the 128GB version on there website but if you click to buy it says that it is not in stock and it is priced at a ridiculous 4490 SEK which is about €422.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

My eglobalcentral.eu order has been shipped at last,will keep you updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

tedpan wrote:
    As long as there's YouTube, I'm happy. Don't stream Netflix or anything like it to my mobile

L3 on my one plus 3 and I can view YouTube at 1080p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've got to order one of these for the wife later.
    Will likely buy from Eglobalcentral UK as they have a 5.99 voucher and topcashback has 2% cashback too.
    Brings it in at @ £282 and shipping for the 128gb, any better pricing around?

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    My eglobalcentral.eu order has been shipped at last,will keep you updated

64 or 128GB version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

banie01 wrote: »
    I've got to order one of these for the wife later.
    Will likely buy from Eglobalcentral UK as they have a 5.99 voucher and topcashback has 2% cashback too.
    Brings it in at @ £282 and shipping for the 128gb, any better pricing around?

Where are you shipping to and how much is shipping from eglobalUK?

banie01 wrote:
    I've got to order one of these for the wife later. Will likely buy from Eglobalcentral UK as they have a 5.99 voucher and topcashback has 2% cashback too. Brings it in at @ £282 and shipping for the 128gb, any better pricing around?

Snotty wrote:
    Where are you shipping to and how much is shipping from eglobalUK?

You can only ship to the UK and the last time I tried to ship to parcel motel my order was cancelled. Not sure how to order from the UK site...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Soup Thief

I just ordered a 6gb/128gb blue one from eglobalcentral.eu
    Free delivery to Ireland in 6-8 working days
    €326 (using a 5.99 off voucher) which doesn't seem bad
    Order is currently in progress - I'll check back in when it arrives

Advertisement