Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 20 GalwayWest

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Lockstep wrote: »
    They tried that in 2013 the people voted by referendum to keep it.

Yes Enda deliberately made a balls of it. Then he promised to reform it and produced a report making several recommendations. None were implemented.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/1221/1018661-seanad-report/
    New proposals to significantly reform the Seanad have been published today in a 130-page all-party committee report.

The 23-member Implementation Group, containing 11 Senators and 12 TDs, was chaired by Senator Michael McDowell.

It was tasked with assessing the recommendations flowing from the Working Group on Seanad Reform in 2015, which was chaired by Dr Maurice Manning.

The Implementation Group has endorsed the Manning Report proposals to expand the franchise, saying it would "enhance its democratic mandate, deepen engagement between the public and Senators and will give the public a far greater say in the make-up of the Seanad".

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

zell12 wrote: »

I actually had some leaning towards Fianna Fail, but all that disappeared the moment they selected Ollie Crowe to run for this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Didn’t vote for him either but like Kyne, Ollie’s a decent guy, hate he gets on here is bizarre.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Didn’t vote for him either but like Kyne, Ollie’s a decent guy, hate he gets on here is bizarre.
    I don't have any hate for him either, but in my opinion he's not someone who has the qualifications to be a td/senator. I honestly believe he was selected by FF because he was willing to spend a lot of his own money on the campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

hate he gets on here is bizarre.

It's mostly backlash from insulting the electorate's intelligence by littering the city with billboards with Trump-like slogans rather than articulating any specific policy.

"Build the Bypass" - how does that inform our decision to elect him. The bypass is already beyond the political process, it's working it's way through planning. Does Crowe have some suggestion on how to speed that up?

"Our Smart Green City" - what??

He may as well have said "Snackboxes Are Nice - Vote Ollie Crowe".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭golfball37

After watching Hildegarde on RTE last night and listening to that Sean Kyne interview, I would honestly say the people of GW picked the wrong FG candidate to represent them in the Dail. imo.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    It's mostly backlash from insulting the electorate's intelligence by littering the city with billboards with Trump-like slogans rather than articulating any specific policy.

"Build the Bypass" - how does that inform our decision to elect him. The bypass is already beyond the political process, it's working it's way through planning. Does Crowe have some suggestion on how to speed that up?

Having Frank Fahy as his election agent doesn't help either.

ChewyLouie wrote: »

Think you’re taking the signs a bit too serious! Not like they normally have anything on them bar “Vote Mr X 1” and plenty of politicians have highlighted bypass. It might be going through planning but there are some parties who don’t support it - Greens don’t and Soc Dems seemingly don’t based on Roisin Shortal comments although O’Tuathail refused to state his position on it so there are some potential coalitions (pre election and probably still) who wouldn’t fund it. Planning outcome won’t matter much then.

Think you’re taking the signs a bit too serious! Not like they normally have anything on them bar “Vote Mr X 1” and plenty of politicians have highlighted bypass. It might be going through planning but there are some parties who don’t support it - Greens don’t and Soc Dems seemingly don’t based on Roisin Shortal comments although O’Tuathail refused to state his position on it so there are some potential coalitions (pre election and probably still) who wouldn’t fund it. Planning outcome won’t matter much then.

I believe the number, size and frequency of the signs patronised the electorate. He seemed to have more posters and billboards than all the other candidates put together. Maybe he thought signs would win the election but many people saw it as pollution. Also he suggested he would remove all the complex blockers and get the bridge built himself. How exactly would he succeed where so many others have failed for decades? The devil is in the detail which he did not provide.

I guess 80s style politics doesn't work anymore.

I believe the number, size and frequency of the signs patronised the electorate. He seemed to have more posters and billboards than all the other candidates put together. Maybe he thought signs would win the election but many people saw it as pollution. Also he suggested he would remove all the complex blockers and get the bridge built himself. How exactly would he succeed where so many others have failed for decades? The devil is in the detail which he did not provide.

I guess 80s style politics doesn't work anymore.

He definitely had the most at the start, would say Hildegarde was pushing him pretty close by the end. She put up a massive amount in Oranmore and out that side anyway about keep your local TD and did same in Salthill I think.

I don’t care about his campaign, just find the comments on him on here ott and it’s not something I like about any candidate, even though I have probably been guilty of it myself on here with Grealish. But I think it’s slightly different for someone who makes bigoted comments, although I’m still gonna try not to do it again.

Just thought some of the remarks pushed the boundaries, he was accused of all sorts of bananas stuff, including being responsible for them lunatic Burke’s and orchestrating a traffic jam. Real tinfoil hat stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

thebackbar wrote: »
    Having Frank Fahy as his election agent doesn't help either.

the same frank fahy that had a large poster campaign about 8 years ago claiming responsibility for the bypass? that we're still waiting for lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

pure.conya wrote: »
    the same frank fahy that had a large poster campaign about 8 years ago claiming responsibility for the bypass? that we're still waiting for lol

The very one. Coincidentally, Fahy deployed the stop traffic tactic too when people were going to work @7:00am in order to hand out more propaganda filled leaflets.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The very one. Coincidentally, Fahy deployed the stop traffic tactic too when people were going to work @7:00am in order to hand out more propaganda filled leaflets.

Or, you know, these things happen in city heaving with traffic and it’s not a big conspiracy. No election on the horizon now but would bet there will still be chaos somewhere on the roads in city in next couple of weeks.

Just thought some of the remarks pushed the boundaries, he was accused of all sorts of bananas stuff, including being responsible for them lunatic Burke’s and orchestrating a traffic jam. Real tinfoil hat stuff.

if you don't believe frank fahy and ollie crowe would orchestrate traffic jams to drive home Ollies message about the bypass then you're a fool, those snakey ba$tards would try anything within reason and faking some breakdowns is a stroke i wouldn't put passed them at all

Or, you know, these things happen in city heaving with traffic and it’s not a big conspiracy. No election on the horizon now but would bet there will still be chaos somewhere on the roads in city in next couple of weeks.

except there's no sign of a FF campaigner handing put propaganda leaflets in the middle of the traffic this week, won't be there next week or the week after either

if you don't believe frank fahy and ollie crowe wouldn't orchestrate traffic jams to drive home Ollies message about the bypass then you're a fool, those snakey ba$tards would try anything within reason and faking some breakdowns is a stroke i wouldn't put passed them at all

Relax with the name calling there lad.

Cars break down on the roads of Galway City every day, so far all I have seen here is oh Crowe was on about bypass and a car broke down - to call it thin would be an understatement.

When did this breakdown/breakdowns even happen? I don’t recall any major chaos on roads in last month or so, just the regular chaos.

except there's no sign of a FF campaigner handing put propaganda leaflets in the middle of the traffic this week, won't be there next week or the week after either

Propaganda? Get a grip will you, it’s not North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Fahy was in Cancun week leading up to vote.....some mastermind alright.....glad crowe didnt make it also....

Propaganda? Get a grip will you, it’s not North Korea.

it is propaganda when you just make up a load of promises (lies) to give one impression while knowing full well the reality of not being able to deliver on the lies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

golfball37 wrote: »
    After watching Hildegarde on RTE last night and listening to that Sean Kyne interview, I would honestly say the people of GW picked the wrong FG candidate to represent them in the Dail. imo.

I'd agree with that alright. Kyne always polls well out in Connemara but Hildegarde must have got enough of the city votes. I know which one I'd prefer representing Galway west. Plus she still has a lot of her posters up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'd agree with that alright. Kyne always polls well out in Connemara but Hildegarde must have got enough of the city votes. I know which one I'd prefer representing Galway west. Plus she still has a lot of her posters up.
    If we have to vote again in the very near future I wonder will Kyne run again or would his vote change much even if he did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Kyne suffered from a perception that he went against the wishes of people in his constituency, that is what cost him the vote and he recognised it himself. I agree he's better than Hildegarde, but it is what it is. I don't think a re-run would solve much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Ollie Crowe rejected by the people has been elected to the Seanad on the Industrial and commercial panel

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Stewball

Ollie Crowe rejected by the people has been elected to the Seanad on the Industrial and commercial panel

With Ronan Mullen elected to the Seanad too. We're not exactly covering ourselves in glory here in Galway....

Kyne got in first.

And the gravy train keeps running for our politicians...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,627 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Two vacancies on City Council now, any frontrunners who is chosen to be co-opted?
    Is there a third Crowe brother? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Two vacancies on City Council now, any frontrunners who is chosen to be co-opted?

Who is second vacancy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,627 ✭✭✭✭zell12

westgolf wrote: »
    Who is second vacancy ?
    Senator Pauline O"Reilly

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Senator Pauline O"Reilly

Thanks zell12, had forgotten about her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭basillarkin

there are 4

Advertisement