Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 20 GalwayWest

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Catherine Connolly confirmed elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Iv seen them in many other count centres she even told the crowd to refrain from any shouting hollering or suchlike till she was finished . What did she expect? The first SF candidate elected since 1922 give them their moment for heavens sake

just saw the most recent count from her and she did the same thing before cathrine connolly was elected. I'd say she is just no craic rather than being anti sinn fein

• Registered Users Posts: 12,919 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Last seat now guaranteed to Fine Gael. Naughton ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Pity they couldn't obey the rules of the road - driving on the wrong side of the road for starters, and also partly on footpath, partly on cycle lane - and yes, red van driver, you were observed by many.
    (distributor road, Sunday afternoon)
    ChewyLouie wrote: »
    So Ollie has a team (presumably FF supporters) taking down his posters then FF send a second team around taking down the party posters...?

Seems like madness. I thought the party would have just sent the local candidate a load of party posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Delighted Crowe is out. People saw through the spoof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

6 wrote: »
    Delighted Crowe is out. People saw through the spoof

Likewise. And it must have cost him a bloody fortune!! Hope he’s learnt for the next time. He doesn’t need to pollute the city and countryside with his posters to get elected, he just needs to join Sinn Fein. ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

telekon wrote: »
    Likewise. And it must have cost him a bloody fortune!! Hope he’s learnt for the next time. He doesn’t need to pollute the city and countryside with his posters to get elected, he just needs to join Sinn Fein. ☹️

Cost him very little mostly party funded . 5175 people would disagree with spoof comments . It’s ff people had enough off not Crowe . Stlll I’m sure ye anonymous keyboard warriors know best . Anyway won’t be back on this thread so post away more insults there till yer hearts are content .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

spurshero wrote: »
    It’s ff people had enough off not Crowe .

Ah, explains why O'Cuiv lost his seat. Or did he top the poll...?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Cost him very little mostly party funded . 5175 people would disagree with spoof comments . It’s ff people had enough off not Crowe . Stlll I’m sure ye anonymous keyboard warriors know best . Anyway won’t be back on this thread so post away more insults there till yer hearts are content .

Party only gives them so much, he would have had to put a fair chunk of his own money in it. Having a poster on every lamp post in the city isn't cheap. Don't think the please vote for me texts his helpers sent out Friday and Saturday helped him either, reeked of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Came out with the most number of seats in the country too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

Party only gives them so much, he would have had to put a fair chunk of his own money in it. Having a poster on every lamp post in the city isn't cheap. Don't think the please vote for me texts his helpers sent out Friday and Saturday helped him either, reeked of desperation.

I believe 95% of the money spent was his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

OPwMitB.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,919 ✭✭✭✭flazio

xckjoo wrote: »
    Came out with the most number of seats in the country too.
    Tied with Sinn Féin if you leave out the Ceann comhairle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Didn’t vote for them but in fairness Cuiv is ‘safest seat in country’ as pundits like to remind us before every election and FF outperformed their national total (albeit marginally) in Galway West unlike FG, SF,GP, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

For those that heard it, what were your thoughts on the Séan Kyne GBFM interview on the KF show yesterday morning?

Not a FG voter and don't know the man myself but it was a pretty good interview I thought.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

For those that heard it, what were your thoughts on the Séan Kyne GBFM interview on the KF show yesterday morning?

Not a FG voter and don't know the man myself but it was a pretty good interview I thought.

I didn't hear it, what was his views on losing the seat?

Bullocks wrote: »
    I didn't hear it, what was his views on losing the seat?

Obviously saddened at the loss but is was more about the toll the reaction of the locals took on him and his family due to the abuse he got on the campaign trail than the actual defeat.

For me, it took away all the bickering, point scoring & disappointment & focused more on the human side of being involved in politics, something I, maybe most of us tend to forget about.

Podcast: Interview starts at about 00:39:43

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

elguapo wrote: »
    Honestly delighted O'Tuaithill outlasted Crowe, he ran an honest and thoughtful campaign and was unfortunate that Sinn Fein swept all before them.

He was one of the 'more' honest ones, but looking as his career history, he hasn't got the experience that he says he has in health reform.
    At least not according to his linkedin account.

But I'm still a bit bitter at the move of the left vote to SF ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,803 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Sean Kyne was supposed to represent the public in the Dail, yet he was totally silent on health, housing, infrastructure issues all over the constituency.
    Yet he is marginally better than Grealish

Obviously saddened at the loss but is was more about the toll the reaction of the locals took on him and his family due to the abuse he got on the campaign trail than the actual defeat.

For me, it took away all the bickering, point scoring & disappointment & focused more on the human side of being involved in politics, something I, maybe most of us tend to forget about.

Podcast: Interview starts at about 00:39:00

Didn’t vote for him but have met, like the majority of people in politics, he’s a decent guy. Wouldn’t have thought it would be that bad in person campaigning but social media is gone off the wall, have seen politicians being described in horrific terms particularly over the last year or so. Saw one post from what looked like a genuine account of a 60+ year old woman using absolutely vile language and I’m far from a prude or anything.

If it continues on this path, it’s going to make a lot of decent qualified people hesitant about entering politics, it has already but will worsen.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    Sean Kyne was supposed to represent the public in the Dail, yet he was totally silent on health, housing, infrastructure issues all over the constituency.
    Yet he is marginally better than Grealish

They are complex issues without easy answers as the left might discover if they get into government. Having said that I think FG over prioritised economic recovery and lost sight of these areas.

He’s a hell of a lot better than Grealish. If all Sean cared about was securing his own seat could have engaged in scaremongering nonsense that Grealish did in Oughterard.

How does kyne compare to Naughton?, I don't know her either. Would she be seen as the better of the two? She was pulled from the water by the collar of her blouse, scraping in without reaching the quota so was close enough to loosing out too.

I wonder if securing the last seat without reaching the quota is actually elected by the people? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Regardless of Fine Gael, I always liked Kyne. Years ago, he occasionally came into the pub I worked in and always came across as a good guy. I know this has nothing to do with his politics but you can tell a fair amount about what a person is like by observing them.

I also saw him being fairly active (for a Fine Gaeler) during the marriage equality and abortion referendums.

I also liked McNelis and Ó Tuathail so it's a shame neither of them got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

[QUOTE=
    He’s a hell of a lot better than Grealish. If all Sean cared about was securing his own seat could have engaged in scaremongering nonsense that Grealish did in Oughterard.[/QUOTE]

Grealish only got the votes in Oughterard due to his old PD buddy Tom Welby who is a very good county councillor and knocked on most doors in the area canvasing for Grealish. It was more an endorsement of Welby than Grealish whos area should in all honesty be in East Galway so he is very fortunate.
    The comments he made only influenced a minority(still sizeable) of people who gave him the first preference in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭ax530

Good point ClanofLams .... If it continues on this path, it’s going to make a lot of decent qualified people hesitant about entering politics, it has already but will worsen....
    I believe this is the most worrying thing at the moment. Shocking what people say about public representatives. Think it was good that Sean raised the personal side in that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

ax530 wrote: »
    Good point ClanofLams .... If it continues on this path, it’s going to make a lot of decent qualified people hesitant about entering politics, it has already but will worsen....
    I believe this is the most worrying thing at the moment. Shocking what people say about public representatives. Think it was good that Sean raised the personal side in that interview.
    Yup. It'll only be the self-serving people that are able to ignore the bullsh1t for their own gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,803 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ollie Crowe considering Seanad bid
    “We just came up short; the national trend affected it in the last couple of days. I was delighted to get 5,200 first preferences in my first time standing for Dáil Éireann. I’m disappointed but I feel overall, I revitalised Fianna Fáil in the city and rebuilt the party.
    I’m honoured and humbled that public representatives have asked me to stand for the Seanad and that’s something we’ll discuss over the coming days and weeks and make a decision on that,
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

zell12 wrote: »

When are they going to abolish or reform that horribly wasteful and utterly useless institution....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

When are they going to abolish or reform that horribly wasteful and utterly useless institution....

They tried that in 2013 the people voted by referendum to keep it.

Advertisement