Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe and Keith breakfast show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Heard an ad promoting their show there earlier. It consisted of them arguing over whether something was or wasn't an omelette.

Seriously, how are these asshats still on air? I know Keith basically gave himself the job but surely there must be someone higher up capable of pulling the plug :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Heard an ad promoting their show there earlier. It consisted of them arguing over whether something was or wasn't an omelette.

I heard an ad a few weeks ago for it where they were talking about how one of them writes down things he thinks of that he needs during the week so he has them all in a list when he goes shopping. Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

if someone could post in here next time they're on holiday and someone (hopefully Orlagh D after the excellent stint last time) replaces them, that would be great.
    first thing i do when i get into the car in the morning is change it off Phantom, so might miss the rare week when their "wacky banter" has been replaced by something good.

e: unless it's EAMONN BLEEDIN FENNELL WHATS THE STORY LADS?!?! in which case i might throw the radio out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I like Eamon and Orlas show :o

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

I was passing through the dial on my car radio and heard Joe or Keith mocking 'Nova' this morning- something about them (Nova that is) being on 'life support' and badly needing listeners?
    Any truth in this?
    Also Does anyone have current listener ratings for the Morning Show?
    Last time I checked Phantom's figures as a whole were on the slide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Phantom's figures are in the toilet. See the jnlr thread in the radio forum. They lost their entire weekend audience after the bloodletting last September but nobody had figures for the breakfast show. I wouldn't be surprised if they were similar.

Heard an ad earlier stating that Jack Hyland is fill in in for j&k this week. Happy days :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Is it all week? Thought it was just Friday & tomorrow. Jackpot if so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Great to hear music on the radio this morning instead of the usual woeful 'banter'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Is it all week? Thought it was just Friday & tomorrow. Jackpot if so :)
    not quite. Phantom is blighted again from Wednesday. Well, savour today and tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

gugleguy wrote: »
    not quite. Phantom is blighted again from Wednesday. Well, savour today and tomorrow.
    They should take a permanent holiday break...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭paulbok

I used to refer to them as dumb and dumber, not it's just dull & duller.
    Like so many others, I change the radio in the morning off Phantom because of them.

If there is a demographic out there that they are suited to, I fear for humanity in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

According to the currant bun, keef is being touted as a replacement for hector on 2fm. Could the madcap duo be on their way out of phantom?

Hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    According to the currant bun, keef is being touted as a replacement for hector on 2fm. Could the madcap duo be on their way out of phantom?

The speculation at the moment is Keith and his former iRadio co-host Bernard O'Shea along with Jennifer Maguire (Bernard's workmate from The Republic of Telly). Maybe Joe will stay put or could he come in as a producer (he did a stint as producer for Tom Dunne on Newstalk)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

Anyone know if i can get the playlist for 10-12 last night?

I don't like slating people anonymously on the internet but who ever thought a breakfast show headed by two middle-aged men with thick country accents would draw in a teenage/college-age audience in a Dublin area only channel?

Everyone who came after them on Spin has been young and has a Dublin or neutral accent, and the only other 'country' accent I can think of on mainstream Dublin radio is Dermot Whelan.

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    According to the currant bun, keef is being touted as a replacement for hector on 2fm

If only it was some other paper saying that. Then maybe there'd be a glimmer of hope....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't like slating people anonymously on the internet but who ever thought a breakfast show headed by two middle-aged men with thick country accents would draw in a teenage/college-age audience in a Dublin area only channel?

Everyone who came after them on Spin has been young and has a Dublin or neutral accent, and the only other 'country' accent I can think of on mainstream Dublin radio is Dermot Whelan.

Their accents are the least of their issues.

Personally I can't stand Eamon Fennell or his Dublin accent, but if he played decent music I'd still listen. He doesn't, so it's not an issue.

Plus, a rather large percentage of college students in Dublin are from outside of Dublin, so I can't see how non Dublin or "neutral" accents would be a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

rwg wrote: »
    Anyone know if i can get the playlist for 10-12 last night?

http://www.phantom.ie/shows/190.191.196.251/1055/1/The_Lounge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

nice one catch - this was the badboy I was lookin for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Why would they be looking to draw in a teenage/college age audience? :confused: I would have thought teenagers/college students would be the least desirable audience age bracket.

And as mentioned above, I'd much prefer their accents to Eamonn Fennel's.

Let alone his constant hey lads I'm so cool Dublin GAA malarkey...

Why would they be looking to draw in a teenage/college age audience? :confused: I would have thought teenagers/college students would be the least desirable audience age bracket.

Irreverant 'banter', playlist filled with Vampire Weekend and Kodaline on repeat, I really can't see what audience they're aiming at aside from young students

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Everytime I see this thread on the front page my heart jumps as I think they might have been dumped and every time I'm disappointed.

Everytime I see this thread on the front page my heart jumps as I think they might have been dumped and every time I'm disappointed.

You forget my friend you are in Ireland. So it does matter how downright brutal one (or two) are at their jobs in some circles. Plus ¢a change. This is across a spectrum of professions here not confined to media.

Looks like keith is gone. Phantom website lists a new breakfast show with Joe and Charlotte. This is more like a step sideways than an improvement. I guess there's a chance that Joe will be less annoying without keith, but I doubt it!

Looks like keith is gone. Phantom website lists a new breakfast show with Joe and Charlotte. This is more like a step sideways than an improvement. I guess there's a chance that Joe will be less annoying without keith, but I doubt it!

It's a start!! Happy new year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dwoogle

He is off to 2fm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Good - got lots of time for Charlotte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

2fm is the grave yard of many a good DJ, I liked Joe & Keith,I'm probably not a 'hardcore' Phantom person but I'm sorry to see him go.

Given the 2fm breakfast track record I'd expect Keith back at Phantom before too long. Joe & Charlotte will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Would be class if Ritchie & Ritchie moved to the morning slot. Usually miss most of their show in the evenings with other things going on.

Devia wrote: »
    Would be class if Ritchie & Ritchie moved to the morning slot. Usually miss most of their show in the evenings with other things going on.

+1

Would do a huge amount for their ratings IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Devia wrote: »

I'm a big fan of Ritchie and Ritchie, and think the evening slot gives them more freedom for chat, music discussions etc...
    A morning slot really needs to me music heavy IMO and keep the banter to a minimum... and if you have it, it gotta be good!

If you miss their show, catch up on podcasts. They include the playlist too, so you can hear what choons were played.

He's gone to 2fm I'm lead to believe, good luck to him.
    Joe is/ was the more evil of the two lessers IMHO so I won't be tuning in.
    His gob****e faux-angryman/ uber sarcasm schtick routine and flat accent combined with the other ones Coventry brogue would surely cause me to crash the car.

• Advertisement

I feel the pain room149. Or want to bang my head more than twice and start roaring incoherently.

I don't mind Charlotte and her accent, I kind of like her. But Joe......

(Rant Warning!!!)
    While I'm vexed and staring at a spreadsheet in the office here, have any of you ever read Joe Donnelly's pieces in the Weekend part of the Saturday Independent?

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/food-drink/you-just-cant-beat-a-white-sliced-pan-26816887.html

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/joe-donnelly-i-dont-do-fashion-but-dads-dressing-like-mountain-climbers-to-buy-the-paper-is-the-height-of-vanity-29777277.html

This one is my probably my most 'favourite'- him giving out about the aesthetics & the attire worn by the young staff of a well known Alt eatery-
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/i-dont-want-my-drink-in-a-jam-jar-or-my-tea-in-a-tin-mug-and-dont-call-me-mate-29817317.html

Utter, utter drivel.
    These things read like the scribbled down thoughts of a semi awake and flatulent Ian O' Doherty or Jeremy Clarkson. Probably after chomping down one Toblerone too many whilst listening to his Deep Purple cassettes in the front room.
    A middle aged DJ complaining about his free meal? This is worthy of newsprint?

Didn't hear him complain about 'hipsters' that much whenever he gets free to gigs and festivals..most peculiar that.
    Pisses me off when I think of all the talented young Journos & Media Professionals who have had to emigrate due to a lack of jobs here, yet the likes of this fella keeps getting gigs thanks to the cozy little cohert of buddies he has in the Irish 'Meeja'

Rant over (apologies)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭donaghb

Joe And Charlotte are great together, Kieth was good too.
    dry humor and funny sometimes.
    Fennel is a tool.
    richie and richie are annoying.

I happen to like Joes outlook and comments, and as said before on here i enjoyed him on the tom dunne show.
    Phantom is the only radio station worth listening to, especially in the mornings...i do flick between them and newstalk but mainly phantom.
    you cannot compare them to bloody foley or that other gob****e phil something.
    good luck to j & C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Richie, Richie and Caddell are the only things propping Phantom up at this stage.

Keef and his moronic output have decimated all the good dj's, Claire Beck may #LoveHerJob but she'll always have that bang of Spin's generic cast of soundalike female dj's, and there's no reason to touch the stations for large parts of the day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

Not a Clare Beck fan. She's ok, but I feel sorry for her and her show. She has to play the Feckin Playlist that has been played all day before she came on. At the moment, a lot of the songs are quite dreary and lifeless. She then, has to play all the songs again...... Yawn. God! I'd nearly half think about listening to Nova.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

P Feckin S
    What about less "kodaline" and "Two DoorHowzyerfathers" and more ""So I Watch You From A Far" etc., during the day? Yeh know.... The sort of bands Phantom would have played during the day... In the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dwoogle

When is Keith starting on 2fm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Richie, Richie and Caddell are the only things propping Phantom up at this stage.

Keef and his moronic output have decimated all the good dj's, Claire Beck may #LoveHerJob but she'll always have that bang of Spin's generic cast of soundalike female dj's, and there's no reason to touch the stations for large parts of the day now.

I quite like Nadine O'Regan on a Saturday morning, only complaint it the way she over emphasises Nadine.

The breakfast show has improved slightly since Keith left, get rid of Joe and their on a winner there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

The breakfast show has improved slightly since Keith left, get rid of Joe and their on a winner there.

Agree 100% there. You can practically hear charlotte cringe at some of the tripe that cretin Joe comes out with.
    For example, commenting on new Pixies track tool Joe says something along the lines of "uh I don't know about you but for me that sounds a lot like ACDC... and like for me that's a big thumbs up"

Piss off you turd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

And get Sinister Pete and his Weather bike back! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

I think there's always a little bit of elitism when Phantom is discussed, if you can't say you practically live in the Academy or you listened in the pirate days and it hasn't been the same since Sinister Pete did this that or the other then you're scarcely worthy of opinion.

Joe Donnelly has been called 'middle aged' twice in this thread, I thinks he's like 39 / 40, Black Francis is 48 for Christ sake so shall we discount The Pixies on the basis of music from a middled aged band. I think he's decent DJ and a funny bloke in his own way, might not be for everyone but of the two he is stronger that Keith. His Indo articles are as good as Roisin Ingle in the Times and people fawn over her like she's Germaine Greer!

I'm 41 and I have listened to Phantom from day 1 and I don't think the station is shi*t in any way at all, if people want to revert to them playing 1950's sci-fi radio shows on a Friday night then good luck to them because that's the kind of stuff that went in 10 years ago. Then again that's probably the middle age talking

The two Richies and John Caddell are definitely the strongest DJs on the station, but I wouldn't discount Claire Beck.

I suppose she suffers because she sounds like every other female DJ in the country, but she seems to have a good knowledge base for music. Not a standout performer, but I certainly couldn't fault her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Yeah I like her, good voice and doesn't sound too 'professional, as in she sounds like she actually enjoys the job

I didn't like her at all initially, sounded like she would be happier back on Spin but she has improved immensely IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement