Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wow
    I went the whole weekend completely unaware that Cris Wessling had died.
    I watched the game on Sky and saw the other three from the podcast do their bit,
    I was completelyy oblivious to his passing.
    It's only when I saw the tribute podcast today rather than the Superbowl review show that I realized.

He had been on in a very limited capacity on the Sunday night shows this year, just about 20 mins a show, and you could really hear the way his voice was that he was not well.

He'll be missed on the show, none of the stand ins struck me as being on a part with him.

Very sad.

I was shocked there was a podcast. They mentioned the result of the game and that was it. The podcast itself was great. Colleen Wolfe did a superb impromptu tribute on nfl network prior to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was shocked there was a podcast. They mentioned the result of the game and that was it. The podcast itself was great. Colleen Wolfe did a superb impromptu tribute on nfl network prior to the game.

The first segment of the Sky Sports broadcast on Sunday was talking about Wess. They had the 3 guys from the Podcast on talking about him. They were all getting teary so went to an adbreak and when they came back it was onto the game. Nice tribute, and a good way to do it without it clouding over the whole show.

Rich Eissen said some nice words on the pregame show on NFL Network too
    https://www.nfl.com/videos/rich-eisen-pays-tribute-to-the-late-nfl-writer-podcaster-chris-wesseling

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭collybyrne

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The first segment of the Sky Sports broadcast on Sunday was talking about Wess. They had the 3 guys from the Podcast on talking about him. They were all getting teary so went to an adbreak and when they came back it was onto the game. Nice tribute, and a good way to do it without it clouding over the whole show.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/rich-eisen-pays-tribute-to-the-late-nfl-writer-podcaster-chris-wesseling

RIP Wess. Only found out late on Sunday myself, really heartbreaking news. I think all of us long time listeners were invested in Wess, especially since he beat it the first time. It was inspiring to watch someone who had been through what he had and then relish every second of life thereafter. His marriage and starting a family and the way he was able to talk about it without ever sounding sanctimonious. An extraordinary football mind and wealth of knowledge. Even if you didn't agree with him you had to respect his opinion because you knew he had done the work to back it up. Huge respect to the other guys on the pod too and the way they supported him and dealt with it on a week to week basis, can't imagine how hard it was watching their friend decline while fighting something so hard.

He will be sadly sadly missed. F**k cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,186 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Falcons will never be allowed to forget.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1358977607145029632

Shedite27 wrote: »

Yeah I saw it and think it was very classy from sky sports. Dan Hanzus wasn’t far off crying and it was a wise move to cut it short. They did say at the end of the podcast Sunday night that they’d be taking some time off which is hardly surprising.

• Advertisement

collybyrne wrote: »
    RIP Wess. Only found out late on Sunday myself, really heartbreaking news. I think all of us long time listeners were invested in Wess, especially since he beat it the first time. It was inspiring to watch someone who had been through what he had and then relish every second of life thereafter. His marriage and starting a family and the way he was able to talk about it without ever sounding sanctimonious. An extraordinary football mind and wealth of knowledge. Even if you didn't agree with him you had to respect his opinion because you knew he had done the work to back it up. Huge respect to the other guys on the pod too and the way they supported him and dealt with it on a week to week basis, can't imagine how hard it was watching their friend decline while fighting something so hard.

He will be sadly sadly missed. F**k cancer.

Yeah when when he married lakisha(who in her own right seems as genuinely nice as wess was) and then having their son, you did think that the rough time with cancer was over and he was going to enjoy life. I was worried when he was saying that he was having to take warm baths to help the pain he was in.

Sad to see that Marty Schottenheimer has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sad to see that Marty Schottenheimer has died.

The Head Coach of the Chiefs when I first started following them in mid-90s. Never made it to the big dance unfortunately but a very good coach.

Gutted about Chris Wessling, for me it’s the best podcast around on any topic and the four had such great chemistry. It won’t be the same without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Amazing to think Marty got fired after a 13-3 season

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Head Coach of the Chiefs when I first started following them in mid-90s. Never made it to the big dance unfortunately but a very good coach.

Gutted about Chris Wessling, for me it’s the best podcast around on any topic and the four had such great chemistry. It won’t be the same without him.

He’s the first chargers head coach I remember. The Washington post had a poor headline when reporting his death as they pointed out his poor record in the playoffs. Hardly relevant today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It didn't take long for Urban Meyer's famed lack of concern for player and staff backgrounds to surface in the NFL.

Chris Doyle, former Iowa strength and conditioning coach at Iowa who lost his job over multiple claims of racism and bullying, has been hired in Jacksonville.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,661 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Has Doyle done courses to address those problems?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

JJ Watt posts moved to offseason thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It didn't take long for Urban Meyer's famed lack of concern for player and staff backgrounds to surface in the NFL.

Chris Doyle, former Iowa strength and conditioning coach at Iowa who lost his job over multiple claims of racism and bullying, has been hired in Jacksonville.

And Doyle has resigned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,186 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Former Bucs and Chargers WR Vincent Jackson found dead this morning. He was only 38. RIP.

The press release reads like it might be suicide.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1361432500141252611?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I was hoping Drew would do one more season with how the last one ended. He was clearly very limited by his ribs.
    One of the all time great QBs.

He’s no Dante Culpepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

140 million contract for Taysom Hill over 4 years. Except every year is voidable. Essentially breaks his cap hit over a few more years and brings the Saints a few million closer to being under the cap.

Smart money is on Taysom being let go after this year and not seeing much of that cash. Definitely falls under weird and wacky.

Also saw Jameis is their presumed starter next season as it stands. I get the headline figure is meaninglessbut weird seeing 1 qb get a 140 million contract and the other being named likely starter!

I know it started yesterday but tonight our time should be all kind of good stuff. It’s good to have some stuff NFL that’s new and isn’t from last season.

• Advertisement

I don’t think this fits into the off-season thread but deshaun Watson tweeted a statement concerning a lawsuit that has been filled against him regarding an allegation of sexual assault.

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1372053609488080902?s=21

Yeah seen that and it likely scuppers his chances of a trade. Nobody will want to do a deal until that's all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don’t think this fits into the off-season thread but deshaun Watson tweeted a statement concerning a lawsuit that has been filled against him regarding an allegation of sexual assault.

The lawyer involved is a neigbour of the Texans owner and paid to put up billboards to get the team to draft Manziel. Obviously there could be an issue there but the thing stinks.

It looks as dirty as it gets on the Texans part.

Foxtrol wrote:
    The lawyer involved is a neigbour of the Texans owner and paid to put up billboards to get the team to draft Manziel. Obviously there could be an issue there but the thing stinks.
    So he's not a friend of the owner. You are suggesting he is working off his own bat here?

Foxtrol wrote: »

Oh I didn’t know that. The optics don’t look great.

eagle eye wrote: »
    So he's not a friend of the owner. You are suggesting he is working off his own bat here?

Whether a friend or not, the lawyer is in the owner's circle and has tried to use PR to impact the team in the past. To me that sounds extremely fishy, you're entitled to believe it is fully above board.

Have you even read what the complaint is? Even if it turned out to be true, it wouldn't impact a trade at all. It is bad behaviour but teams are filled with far less talented players who have done far, far worse (without going into owners who have done worse themselves).

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1372186614399655938?s=20

Foxtrol wrote:
    Whether a friend or not, the lawyer is in the owner's circle and has tried to use PR to impact the team in the past. To me that sounds extremely fishy, you're entitled to believe it is fully above board.
    I'm asking if you are suggesting the owner is involved.
    I'd find it hard to believe he's friends with a guy who was trying to push the team into signing Manziel.
    Foxtrol wrote:
    Have you even read what the complaint is? Even if it turned out to be true, it wouldn't impact a trade at all. It is bad behaviour but teams are filled with far less talented players who have done far, far worse (without going into owners who have done worse themselves).
    I have read it, it's more serious than deflate gate and look what happened there.
    Nobody has any idea what way Goodell will look at it so they'll want to wait until it's over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I have read it, it's more serious than deflate gate and look what happened there.
    Nobody has any idea what way Goodell will look at it so they'll want to wait until it's over.

Why would anyone even try to compare a sexual harassment complaint to a competitive cheating issue? That's just weird.

• Advertisement

I'm asking if you are suggesting the owner is involved.
    I'd find it hard to believe he's friends with a guy who was trying to push the team into signing Manziel.

I'm pointing to reasons why the case stinks to me. Aside from money he could earn, the lawyer has plenty of motive to bring this case due to his priors related to the team and his previous attention seeking PR attempts - including a failed run for mayor and a tank. The timing is also highly questionable, a year after the alleged incident.

As already pointed out, it is very weird to compare a completely unsubstantiated relatively minor civil 'he said/she said' non-football related incident to what was deemed as cheating on the field (rightly or wrongly).

I have no interest in going down a deflate-gate rabbit hole, so if you're trying to find an excuse to rant about it and claim to be the victim you can go ahead, I won't be responding.

Advertisement