Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I didn't remember it, nor did I claim to! It was mentioned in many of the reports I read, so I mentioned it here when someone said this is the first they knew of him being in trouble. It's not like I insulted the poster for not knowing about it? I don't see the problem, some very sensitive people around here.
    Nobody's being sensitive, sorry if I misunderstood your "That is definitely not the case!" as a "looks like he was actually in trouble" rather than "how could you forget his 2007 case".

Nevermind.

On a tangent, any idea how the Reid family so disfunctional? From the outside, he gives away the stereotype of a fairly well off, educated, religious family. Bizzare that two of his 5 kids would end up in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

We'll also hear about Tyreek Hill's amazing season, and Eric Bienemy being one of the hottest HC candidates in the league....with not a word about their own indiscretions!

Granted, NFL broadcasts would be even longer if we had to hear about every player and coaches rap sheets....

For me Hill should never have been allowed in the league and it is a stain on the Chiefs and Reid that they have gamed the system to benefit from Hill on the cheap, due to being willing to take on that scumbag (same with Frank Clark or Antonio Brown and probably others playing tomorrow).

Bienemy to me is very different to Hill and more like Britt Reid. They deserve to move on with their lives if they've turned the page. There is now evidence that Britt has not moved on and repeated his previous actions - potentially seriously injuring two kids. No matter how long ago, you can't ignore past crimes when it looks like the person has now reoffended.

It is like finding out OJ's current girlfriend was murdered and rather than writing about the murder victim, instead writing a story that ignores his history and makes it about poor OJ and praying for the Simpson family.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Nobody's being sensitive, sorry if I misunderstood your "That is definitely not the case!" as a "looks like he was actually in trouble" rather than "how could you forget his 2007 case".

Nevermind.

On a tangent, any idea how the Reid family so disfunctional? From the outside, he gives away the stereotype of a fairly well off, educated, religious family. Bizzare that two of his 5 kids would end up in jail.

A wealthy, famous, and powerful family that moves often and the father figure is never around?

Sounds like a perfect recipe to mess up kids

• Registered Users Posts: 39,693 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don’t know how many here listen to the around the nfl podcast. But I’m sure those that do were aware that one of the people on it Chris wesseling had battled cancer and beat it once but it came back. Well unfortunately he died yesterday it was announced within the last half hour.

Very sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don’t know how many here listen to the around the nfl podcast. But I’m sure those that do were aware that one of the people on it Chris wesseling had battled cancer and beat it once but it came back. Well unfortunately he died yesterday it was announced within the last half hour.

Very sad news.

Jesus. I listen to it on and off, not as much any more as I spend less time in the car and gym now, which is where I mostly listened to podcasts. I did catch an episode a few weeks back when Chris was on and it sounded like he was terribly ill, was slurring his words etc but I still didn’t realise he was this close to the end.

That’s so sad, he only got married a few years back and they had a kid last year if I remember correctly. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Very sad news.

That's awful. He sounded very weak on his more recent appearances and there was some talk on the subreddit that things weren't great. But damn, that's really sad. Had a kid last year too.

Jesus. I listen to it on and off, not as much any more as I spend less time in the car and gym now, which is where I mostly listened to podcasts. I did catch an episode a few weeks back when Chris was on and it sounded like he was terribly ill, was slurring his words etc but I still didn’t realise he was this close to the end.

That’s so sad, he only got married a few years back and they had a kid last year if I remember correctly. RIP

Well I used to listen to every episode but more recently I’d kept listening to the Sunday night show. I knew he’d been unwell and like the first time his voice was very hoarse but I didn’t want to think about but it was getting longer and longer without him being on. Yes he did get married and he had a son. I don’t anyone listening knew.

That's awful. He sounded very weak on his more recent appearances and there was some talk on the subreddit that things were great. But damn, that's really sad. Had a kid last year too.

Well he had sounded that way the first time and was off for a long time but came back. The worrying thing was this time around he was have to leave half way through and they’d sub someone in. It’s awful as the four lads and the producers are all devastated from their tweets. The post super bowl episode from the stadium was always a great podcast and I don’t think fans will care if they don’t do one tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Christy42

We'll also hear about Tyreek Hill's amazing season, and Eric Bienemy being one of the hottest HC candidates in the league....with not a word about their own indiscretions!

Granted, NFL broadcasts would be even longer if we had to hear about every player and coaches rap sheets....

I don't get why Hunt was let go by the Chiefs when they are perfectly happy to have Hill around. Hunt would have been a great help to this team but they were (rightly) quick to get rid of him. Not so for Hill. I guess talent and position has something to do with it.

Well he had sounded that way the first time and was off for a long time but came back. The worrying thing was this time around he was have to leave half way through and they’d sub someone in. It’s awful as the four lads and the producers are all devastated from their tweets. The post super bowl episode from the stadium was always a great podcast and I don’t think fans will care if they don’t do one tomorrow night.

I haven't listened this the championship weekend, were the guys supposed to be going to the Super Bowl this year? Or are they too low down the pecking order given the year that's in it?

• Advertisement

I haven't listened this the championship weekend, were the guys supposed to be going to the Super Bowl this year? Or are they too low down the pecking order given the year that's in it?

Well no the last few years(pre covid) they’d go to the city it was in and do a podcast from the stadium. They weren’t there this year because of Covid but I was presuming they’d do a post super bowl podcast like other years. But as I said I’d be surprised if they do one this year.

Well no the last few years(pre covid) they’d go to the city it was in and do a podcast from the stadium. They weren’t there this year because of Covid but I was presuming they’d do a post super bowl podcast like other years. But as I said I’d be surprised if they do one this year.

I don’t think anybody would begrudge them a few days off after this. It’s terrible. Show won’t be the same without him.

I don’t think anybody would begrudge them a few days off after this. It’s terrible. Show won’t be the same without him.

Absolutely. I think given how close they all were I doubt they’d be able to focus enough to do. It’s one think to do the podcast without him when he was sick with the hope he’d come back but this is different. No it won’t be as he was an encyclopaedia of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Was awful news to hear. Stopped listening to the show myself a while back. Surely they won't do a Superbowl show. Will be very raw for all of them.

Looking at Neil Reynolds twitter, it looks like they were going to be in Tampa (I assume they have already travelled) and were due to be doing some spots on Sky during the broadcast too. I imagine those spots probably won't be happening now.

Looking at Neil Reynolds twitter, it looks like they were going to be in Tampa (I assume they have already travelled) and were due to be doing some spots on Sky during the broadcast too. I imagine those spots probably won't be happening now.

I know there are some NFL media there but I’d just assumed the ATNFL lads this year they’d do what they’ve been doing for those sky sports spots and do them on zoom. Maybe they had travelled.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I don't get why Hunt was let go by the Chiefs when they are perfectly happy to have Hill around. Hunt would have been a great help to this team but they were (rightly) quick to get rid of him. Not so for Hill. I guess talent and position has something to do with it.

I think you are spot on. Hill got a pass from the Chiefs because of his talent and his value to the team. They would not have won last year without him so I doubt the Chiefs regret the decision. They also probably knew their fans would look the other way.

Hunt lied to the team iirc, I think he was asked about the incident before the video emerged and denied it happened. He may have been cut either way but I remember the team making a point of the lie at the time.

I’m all for second chances but Hill should not be in the league at this point if the NFL are serious about player conduct. He is a complete scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I know there are some NFL media there but I’d just assumed the ATNFL lads this year they’d do what they’ve been doing for those sky sports spots and do them on zoom. Maybe they had travelled.

Pretty sure this is what they were doing - on their last show they were talking about being able to watch the game with their families for once.

Gutted by the news.

Aaron Rodgers won the MVP award last night at the NFL honours. Justin Herbert won offensive rookie of the year awards. Chase young won defensive rookie of the year award. Kevin stefanski won coach of the year. Russell Wilson won the Walter Peyton man of the year. Alex smith in a shock to nobody won comeback player of the year. Aaron Donald and derick Henry won defensive and offensive players of the year respectively.

And in the hall of fame I know Charles Woodson and John lynch got in because there’s video showing the moment they found out. Im assuming peyton manning got in I just haven’t seen it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Aaron Rodgers won the MVP award last night at the NFL honours. Justin Herbert won offensive rookie of the year awards. Chase young won defensive rookie of the year award. Kevin stefanski won coach of the year. Russell Wilson won the Walter Peyton man of the year. Alex smith in a shock to nobody won comeback player of the year. Aaron Donald and derick Henry won defensive and offensive players of the year respectively.

And in the hall of fame I know Charles Woodson and John lynch got in because there’s video showing the moment they found out. Im assuming peyton manning got in I just haven’t seen it yet.
    CLass of 2021:

Peyton Manning
    Charles Woodson
    Calvin Johnson
    Drew Pearson
    Alan Faneca
    Bill Nunn
    John Lynch
    Tom Flores

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    CLass of 2021:

Peyton Manning
    Charles Woodson
    Calvin Johnson
    Drew Pearson
    Alan Faneca
    Bill Nunn
    John Lynch
    Tom Flores

How was drew Pearson not already in is my question. Nice to see Calvin Johnson get. He had a hall of fame career in spite of playing for the lions.

• Agreed, great to see Megatron in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Good to see woods on in. Was the ultimate ball hawk and prifessional

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great to see John Lynch getting in. He's been waiting a long time, shod have been in a lot sooner.

Is there a bigger dose in broadcasting than Steve Mariucci?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Is there a bigger dose in broadcasting than Steve Mariucci?

Ger canning.

Ger canning.

He somewhat acts within 20 years of his age though.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Great to see John Lynch getting in. He's been waiting a long time, shod have been in a lot sooner.

Probably his success with the 49ers as GM and the focus on Tampa this year probably helped putting him over the edge. It is such crap that how much a player's profile makes or breaks them getting in.

I'm delighted Megatron got in but it is pretty farcical that he gets in first time when other players with similar or better careers in less sexy positions cant even make the short list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Wow
    I went the whole weekend completely unaware that Cris Wessling had died.
    I watched the game on Sky and saw the other three from the podcast do their bit,
    I was completelyy oblivious to his passing.
    It's only when I saw the tribute podcast today rather than the Superbowl review show that I realized.

He had been on in a very limited capacity on the Sunday night shows this year, just about 20 mins a show, and you could really hear the way his voice was that he was not well.

He'll be missed on the show, none of the stand ins struck me as being on a part with him.

Very sad.

Advertisement