Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Officially Picking Things Up And Putting Them Down Again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Came second by 1.5kg. 1st DL was 295. Jumped to 317.5, apparently for the total record with a plan to go for 325 for the DL record but missed 317.5 twice. Winner pulled 325

I'll be small forever :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I'll be small forever :eek:

Saw a picture of all the lifters before the 83s kicked off and Jesus but BG is small. Properly small. As in if you brought him to an amusement park, he wouldn't be big enough to go one some of the rides.

The Irish lads totalled 675 (Sean Ryan) and 650 (Adam Keane)

Saw a picture of all the lifters before the 83s kicked off and Jesus but BG is small. Properly small. As in if you brought him to an amusement park, he wouldn't be big enough to go one some of the rides

:pac: Ahahaha yeah I saw that photo too. Dono where I saw it though cause I can't find it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Ray Williams OPENING with 450kg :eek::eek::eek:

Centre judge had a horror show.

Seemingly, it wasn't his first of the comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Only got a chance to see the 120kg+ last night cos I was at Body&Soul all weekend.

I felt so sorry for Jezza. How could anyone be sure about knee lockout at that body weight like? With the sleeves as well?!

Plus when the judge was overruled he then red lighted Jezza on the repeat attempt - I'd wonder whether that was pig headedness as it looked good to me (I know, I know I'm an amateur :pac::pac:) and then to call him again on it... Sabotage!

Ray Williams is a legend tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Of all the weight classes, my favourite was the 105s. Some intense lifting there.

That ref should have been replaced after Jezza's 2nd attempt. He couldn't tell the difference between a soft knee and a big guy's knee. Was being strict for the sake of it.

Only got a chance to see the 120kg+ last night cos I was at Body&Soul all weekend.

I felt so sorry for Jezza. How could anyone be sure about knee lockout at that body weight like? With the sleeves as well?!

Plus when the judge was overruled he then red lighted Jezza on the repeat attempt - I'd wonder whether that was pig headedness as it looked good to me (I know, I know I'm an amateur :pac::pac:) and then to call him again on it... Sabotage!

Ray Williams is a legend tho.

I wonder what Jezza had planned to go for beforehand. I don't think 460 was that far off what he would have gone for. He had the WR at 455kg back in December anyway but apparently he's done 470 in training.

That judge was a spanner though. Overruled swiftly both times.

• Advertisement

Of all the weight classes, my favourite was the 105s. Some intense lifting there.

Wierzbicki's deadlift is a helluva weapon. 22.5kg down on Bryce going into deadlift and beats him by 5kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I take back what I said about peaking. I am absolutely exhausted but hitting pbs every week and my body weight is flying down!

All around very happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,598 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Have a tendon issue in my hand, it gets tender and swells a bit whenever I do grip work or grab a barbell tightly.
    It won't go away without taking a break from the stuff that aggravates it. I'm grand with dropping the direct grip stuff for a while, and changing to DBs instead of heavy benching.

But I'll at a loss as to what to switch deadlift out for. Rack pulls, trap bar, RDLs, SLDLs, will all mostly likely aggravate it.
    All I can think of is heavy hip trusts or weighted GHR - but not sure if either is adequate.

You're unlikely to find something that will replace it adequately if your grip is a limiting factor.

Hip thrusts, GHRs, Good Mornings are all good exercises and while they're not direct substitutes, they're good exercises for working those muscles given the limitations.

Pretty much my thoughts too. Annoying as I was looking forward to switching back to mixed grip and going heavy.

I'm leaning towards heavy hip thrusts as they a easy to set up anywhere and can go relatively heavy.

Does using straps help in any way?

I own straps but never actually used them, so I don't know how tightly the bar needs to be squeezed with them.

• Advertisement

Oh... would box squats and kneeling squats be of any use?

I own straps but never actually used them, so I don't know how tightly the bar needs to be squeezed with them.

They might help to a point but it sounds like it's better to avoid gripping for a bit so it doesn't prolong the recovery.

Tickets on sale Monday evening
    Who's doing the November one again?
    Lizzie will be the co host <3

I is November.

Have to rely on Virgin sorting their broadband speed in the meantime.

They probably help a bit. But still going to create pressure on the hand, increased blood flow etc. Which probably contributes to the issue. (It's like a tendon swells up in my palm)
    Oh... would box squats and kneeling squats be of any use?
    I currently do ATG low bar squats as my squat variation which are similar to box squats.
    The kneeling squats look interesting, similar to good mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Heavy sled pulls a la Alex Corbisiero?:

https://youtu.be/JlwP2hsjLkI
    Mellor wrote: »
    Have a tendon issue in my hand, it gets tender and swells a bit whenever I do grip work or grab a barbell tightly.
    It won't go away without taking a break from the stuff that aggravates it. I'm grand with dropping the direct grip stuff for a while, and changing to DBs instead of heavy benching.

But I'll at a loss as to what to switch deadlift out for. Rack pulls, trap bar, RDLs, SLDLs, will all mostly likely aggravate it.
    All I can think of is heavy hip trusts or weighted GHR - but not sure if either is adequate.

I'm for Athlone in September. Leinsters are at a bad time for me and Limerick is a logner drive away compared to Athlone

Tickets on sale in a couple mins in case anyone else forgot because I nearly did

In for Athlone.

I assume most here are doing Leinster?

In for Athlone.

I assume most here are doing Leinster?

Doing the comp in Abs in August, which leaves a nice 13 weeks to November comp.

Revfit is sold out :D
    Competition Entry
    Sold out

Could end up spotting/loading for one of you...

muahahahahahaha

Could end up spotting/loading for one of you...

muahahahahahaha

That's this weekend, isn't it....the spotting/loading thing?

Yep. Perfect excuse for me to skip my work AGM night out on Friday.

Anyone else doing it?

Yep. Perfect excuse for me to skip my work AGM night out on Friday.

Anyone else doing it?

Yeah, I signed up to do it cos I want to be like John Wayne so I'll be walking around saying "Spot and load!"

• Advertisement

Ah I was meant to do that bit somethings come up now. Ah well I have the Revfit comp to look forward to in November.

Nationals livestream up on irishpf fb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

bluewolf wrote: »
    Nationals livestream up on irishpf fb

Any other links? Deleted Facebook a while back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

Don't you know that powerlifting only lives in the world of Facebook !!

It's pretty much just a couple of members doing Facebook Live thingies at it

Class having Geno as MC.

Class having Geno as MC.

He has added kgs to most people's totals. I'm not joking. He is great at getting the crowd riled up for every lifter.

The place hopping for ArThor's 307.5kg pull. Looks epic.

Edit: turn up the sound

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXI_T1bF56u/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

Savage pull .. what did he total ?

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    Savage pull .. what did he total ?

Not sure on exact figure yet but somewhere of the order of 740-750 to finish second in 93.

Barry Pigott won with a total of 787.5

So, apparently Citygym has a scoreboard for all lifts and Barry held bench with 200kg for a long time. When the European Powerlifting Conference was hosted in Citygym, Bryce Lewis benched 210kg and replaced Barry's name on the board. Then a few weeks ago, Barry benched 215kg in Citygym and wiped Bryce's name off the board himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What would Clarence kennedys numbers look like against Barry pigot?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What would Clarence kennedys numbers look like against Barry pigot?

Bigger on squat and deadlift based on training videoa but he's heavier anyway. Barry has stronger bench. Time will tell until we see what Clarence does in a comp.

Athlone comp has undersold so will be moving to ABS for a one-day event. In some ways, I'm happy because it means less travel and am guaranteed to not be on the Sunday. But my friend, whom I am supposed to be competing against, wants to switch to the Citygym comp in October and doesn't want to do Dublin (he lives in Galway).

Decisions, decisions...

Band playing live at ABS Summer Open this weekend. Woof!

• Advertisement

Band playing live at ABS Summer Open this weekend. Woof!

It's some set up. The lights were getting a test run yesterday. I'm genuinely afraid I'll be blinded.

allym wrote: »
    It's some set up. The lights were getting a test run yesterday. I'm genuinely afraid I'll be blinded.

Where are they set up?

They were at the side so wouldn't be directly in your eye line but possibly at the corner of your eye. They might have moved them though!

I don't mind them being in my eye line...just that they take up room for warm up racks :D

I'm down the country for the weekend. Gutted I'm going to miss this. Sounds like it'll be great craic

• Advertisement
Advertisement