Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Think I might head down to my house in West cork so if this is the case!

If this is the case. Your house might come to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If the 00Z matches this there'll be red warnings issued for swathes of the country (probably all of Munster and Connacht) in the morning.

The 12Z could simply be off its rocker but two runs in a row with only one left behind it before the event isn't enough time for people to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If it moves east towards Dublin it might even get a mention in the news

Is there any safe outdoor location in the Dublin area that would allow you to see the storm first hand, without creating any risk of danger to yourself or anyone else?

Seems pretty quiet on here despite this apparent huge windstorm coming our way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

leahyl wrote: »

I dont think people are over the shock just yet!

aisling86 wrote: »
    I dont think people are over the shock just yet!

Or everybody is too busy giving out about Covid restrictions and haven’t noticed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Orange wind warning now..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Storm Ellen will track over Ireland on Wednesday night and during Thursday bringing a period of severe and potentially damaging winds.

Associated heavy rain will also bring a risk of flooding.

Due to the combination of storm surge, spring tides and onshore winds there is a potential risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 21:00 Wednesday 19/08/2020 to 12:00 Thursday 20/08/2020

Issued: 20:00 Tuesday 18/08/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lilydonoghue

That’s very funny

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I am very surprised the ICON not showing this as the others. Even the Australian and Chinese model have it , Australian more like the ECM and GEM also like the ECM if not quite as strong. GFS has missed this one so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

pad199207 wrote: »
    ‪Earlier on today aparantly a woman rang the bbc and said she heard a hurricane was on the way...‬

Didn't this happen before LOL!!

Some insane rain showing for Cork on rain predictive radar on met.ie

Any thoughts on thunderstorm potential with this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thurs and Fri have there own rough weather conditions to contend with. LP parked off the W, which seems to deepen before filling slowly, sending in fronts and short waves. Again this is not tied down, the models are all showing different scenarios with some severe wind close shaves, so will need to keep a close eye on it , ICON goes on to show very strong winds on Thurs in the SW.

FT23aol.gif

4QENFy9.gif

pL3m541.gif

9IoW7rt.png

Any thoughts on thunderstorm potential with this?

Weds into Thurs could have some Thundery bursts, good lapse rates in the SW perhaps and most importantly Deep Layer Shear and frontal forcing not to mention Low level shear.

Thurs post front looks very unstable and could be a fair scattering of thunderstorms just about anywhere. Again decent enough preliminary lapse rates and tons of DLS with part of the Jet over us. Perhaps some funnels or weak tornadoes but these are rare.

EPykmDy.png

lV9cNZQ.png

90Z03St.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1295809982789804034?s=20

Looks like the higher res models have the East coast getting the brunt of it! Nothing finalised yet

Very interesting, cheers Meteorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Glasnevin are going to be up all night with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

With the leaves still on trees could cause problems with trees and lines going down

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

pad199207 wrote: »
    ‪Earlier on today aparantly a woman rang the bbc and said she heard a hurricane was on the way...‬

Hope michael fish didn't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oh fk you 2020.
    When is the locust plague due?

leahyl wrote: »

Well 2020 itself has been a bit of ****storm anyway and honestly I burnt out whereas normally I'd be all over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

in a weird way something 2 take our minds of covid.
    pure fkable though putting stuff in sheds again

Sorry lads so is this a Wednesday evening/Thursday morning job with the storm and from what meteorite58 is saying that unsettled Thursday and Friday on the back end of the big storm. Do I have that generally right ? Btw thanks for the savants in here who make sense of the charts I'm just not great at it.

With rain run off and big seas coastal flooding probably going to be a problem.

anim_tdi7.gif

nww3uk-0-66_dpg4.png

https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/cork-city-tide-times-20200821

ctc4dy8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Sorry lads so is this a Wednesday evening/Thursday morning job with the storm and from what meteorite58 is saying that unsettled Thursday and Friday on the back end of the big storm. Do I have that generally right ? Btw thanks for the savants in here who make sense of the charts I'm just not great at it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114347872&postcount=40

https://www.met.ie/warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'll believe it if I see it. Let us keep in mind that over the course of last winter and spring, the ECM in particular always overegged wind speeds during 'explosive storm' potential and not by an insignificant degree.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not a hope is there going to be 200km/h gusts. Max I am going to say is 110 at the coasts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement