Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Zappi installed today, Ioniq coming on Monday.
    Unit smaller than expected. Easy install not much to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Installed this yesterday will hopefully get electrician out to connect and sign off for €100 :)
    Quick q so I can test.
    I have night mode but it's not smart. Am I right in thinking Eco mode + timed boost set to my leave time is the optimal setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

deegs wrote: »
    Installed this yesterday will hopefully get electrician out to connect and sign off for €100 :)
    Quick q so I can test.
    I have night mode but it's not smart. Am I right in thinking Eco mode + timed boost set to my leave time is the optimal setup?

I haven't used it but it sounds like that will do what you want.

The Outlander has a small enough battery so I just leave it on eco mode and set the cars timer to kick in at midnight, the thinking being that a low charge rate will keep battery temps down and extend the life. No idea if it will work or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭spakman

I had my Zappi installed today and I had it on Fast charge mode to begin with and was getting 7KW which I was quite happy with.
    Then I decided to try to set it to only charge during night meter hours, so I switched to ECO mode and set the Boost Timer for 23:00 to 08:00.
    The strange thing is that the Zappi is saying it's delivering 1.2KW to the car and this is coming from the solar panels, nothing from the grid.
    Why is this strange? a) It's pitch black outside, b) I don't have PV solar panels, they heat the water!!

Any idea what this means??

Edit - Photo of zappi display attached.

Could your sensor be connected to the wrong terminal inside the Zappi?

Does it show the same on Fast charge?

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    Could your sensor be connected to the wrong terminal inside the Zappi?

Does it show the same on Fast charge?

That sounds plausible alright. Ill check it at 11pm when the boost should kick in, so it should be expecting to draw from the grid then.

spakman wrote: »
    That sounds plausible alright. Ill check it at 11pm when the boost should kick in, so it should be expecting to draw from the grid then.

IIRC, smart boost will kick in in time for it to complete charge at 8AM, or whatever you set it to. I’d go out and flick it to fast and see what happens.

IIRC, smart boost will kick in in time for it to complete charge at 8AM, or whatever you set it to. I’d go out and flick it to fast and see what happens.

Yep, looks like that's the problem alright. Nearly 7KW, but still showing as solar, not from grid!
    I'm not bothered about it if it's just the display, but I'd imagine this could screw up how the Zappi decides how and when to charge?

It’s pretty straightforward. You need to move the cables from the CT2 terminal to CT1. Make sure to turn the unit off completely before you open it.

470465.jpeg

Or get the installer back if you’re not 100% sure what you’re doing.

Yep, looks like that's the problem alright. Nearly 7KW, but still showing as solar, not from grid!
    I'm not bothered about it if it's just the display, but I'd imagine this could screw up how the Zappi decides how and when to charge?

Looks like the clamp is wired to point 2 (generation) instead of 1 (house).

House figure,top right should be showing something if you have a few lights or TV on 0.3 kw or something like that.

Edit,what stimpson said above...

• Advertisement

It’s pretty straightforward. You need to move the cables from the CT2 terminal to CT1. Make sure to turn the unit off completely before you open it.

Or get the installer back if you’re not 100% sure what you’re doing.

Thanks a million - am going to get the installer out to fix it, I'm paying them enough!

Thanks a million - am going to get the installer out to fix it, I'm paying them enough!

That's a poor error for someone you're paying well. There's only 2cables to wire up if you don't have any generation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭daheff

question- I had somebody quote me including needing an RCBO, isolator. What are these and why do i need them (apologies for the stupid question)?

Ok..I know what they are...but do I need an isolator? and what would people think are a reasonable cost for electrical materials (ex vat).

I estimate I need 1-2 m of cabling (fuse box is on the other side of the external wall to where I need to put in the socket.

I ask as I was given a quote today of around 1250 ex vat, and 10% of that was for Electrical materials.....which i think is a bit high. Power unit was an ABL home charger.

From looking at the Electric Ireland site, I think I could get similar installed for around 750 Eur ish. So this quote was taking the p*ss right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Loopy quote, pre the grants I got mine installed for around €700 including a priority switch

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I’m a bit outside my comfort zone here, but the Zappi needs neither Priority switch nor RCBO. My spark was a bit iffy about it. After a long discussion he wanted to install a priority switch at cost so I rang the Zappi support line. He had a long chat with the lad in support and was happy to fit without RCBO or priority switch. The fact that it has an integral RCD and that we tested the current limiting with the electric shower were what swung it. Total cost to fit was €170, although he was doing other work here at the time.

Got mine done yesterday.
    Zappi €600 (bought myself)
    15m 6mm power cable, 20m cat6 data cable, rcbo, €80 (bought myself)
    I drilled the holes, cut out the walls and fitted conduit.
    Electrician connected, signed off, installed rcbo and tested in 2 hours for €100

Total 180 after grant

Serious rip off republic with these charger installs.....
    Go with a local spark and educate them.... Don't waste your money on the most expensive in Ireland....

Fair play to you, but i know nothing about electrics so wouldn't dream of messing with them. Doesn't leave much choice but to go with the price they're asking for unfortunately 😪

Can somebody educate me on what the Harvi would be needed for? I had somebody tell me i need one. I thought Zappi had the monitoring tech inside it?

My fuse box is a standard 63a & i have 20a fridge freezer rcbo/10a rcbo + the rest of the usual rcbos

daheff wrote: »
    Can somebody educate me on what the Harvi would be needed for? I had somebody tell me i need one. I thought Zappi had the monitoring tech inside it?

My fuse box is a standard 62a & i have 20a fridge freezer rcbo/10a rcbo + the rest of the usual rcbos

A CT clamp comes in the box,this monitors energy use in the house, wire has to be pulled from fuse board to the zappi (along with the power).
    The harvi is an optional wireless version of the CT clamp.

A CT clamp comes in the box,this monitors energy use in the house, wire has to be pulled from fuse board to the zappi (along with the power).
    The harvi is an optional wireless version of the CT clamp.

So i dont need the harvi?

Just want to be sure im not getting told i need something i dont!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fair play to you, but i know nothing about electrics so wouldn't dream of messing with them.

Deegs didn't mess with the electrics. And if he hadn't done anything himself, the install would have cost him another 100 max. Still far cheaper than getting one of the "established" charge point installers out. His point is that any electrician can do this job, it is not difficult. Most people are being ripped off because they don't know any better than calling an established installer.

Right on unkel.
    Personally I wanted the 15m of wiring to leave no noticable trace internally. I also wanted the zappi to appear to 'hover' with no visible cabling external etc. So I was happy to think about this and solve the situation myself.
    So I chipped and drilled and layed the cable. I could have just routed the cable any number of ways... however an electrician would do it one way, the way he knows best and is price efficient for you. My way was prob not price efficient but aesthetically pleasing, and as a designer by trade that was important to me.
    I also gave the opportunity to for a local spark to GRT some experience at a low learning curve and hopefully he can help the next person... I'd thoroughly reccomend him to anyone in the cork area. Out of 8 electricians my wife contacted he was the only one to reply. Too complex or too small a job for the other east cork electricians.

But again to reiterate... I just drilled and chiseled holes and stuck the wires thru them. Anyone with 0% diy skills can do that and it's even good to learn. The electrician said this was the really time consuming part and was happy to just connect and test and play around with the charger etc.

So i dont need the harvi?

Just want to be sure im not getting told i need something i dont!

If you have no generation (solar panels) you need either the clamp OR the harvi, the clamp is included (free) and you have to pull the bigger cable through anyway so very easy to pull the small clamp cable as well.
    Obviously easier to install the harvi but you have to pay extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

We just picked up a 24kw 6.6kwh Leaf a few weeks ago and I'm thinking of doing a semi DIY job and getting a local electrician to connect as you did. I can do all the drilling and running if the cables and I'm lucky in that the cable run is all pretty much through a garage so having a visible wire/conduit tucked up in a corner won't be an issue. From the bit of reading I've done so far, I'll be going for a tethered zappi. It will be an approx 12m run from the fuse board to the charging point. Would a 6mm cable suffice here or would 10mm be preferable? Regular 63a board. Any other advice or tips welcome.
    Thanks

It should be noted that you can extend the clamp cable if you like. There is no real need for a harvi unless you’re miles from the fuse box.

As for cable size, I’d talk to the spark. 12 metres is a long run.

Would a 6mm cable suffice here or would 10mm be preferable?

6mm2 would suffice, but for the sake of a few euro, I would go 10mm2. Who knows we might have 11kW chargers in a few years time and your 6mm2 would have to be replaced then.

deegs wrote: »
    I also gave the opportunity to for a local spark to GRT some experience at a low learning curve and hopefully he can help the next person... I'd thoroughly reccomend him to anyone in the cork area. Out of 8 electricians my wife contacted he was the only one to reply.

That electrician deserves more installs. I knew who I would call if I lived around your area and needed a charger installed! He would probably take on PV installs too (even if he hasn't done any before)

If you have no generation (solar panels) you need either the clamp OR the harvi, the clamp is included (free) and you have to pull the bigger cable through anyway so very easy to pull the small clamp cable as well.
    Obviously easier to install the harvi but you have to pay extra for it.

i do have pv panels (small ~1.3kw)... so in that case i take it i do need harvi?

fuse box is on the inside of the wall where i want the charger to go

i do have pv panels (small ~1.3kw)... so in that case i take it i do need harvi?

fuse box is on the inside of the wall where i want the charger to go

You can use a second CT clamp on the feed coming from your PV assuming it’s coming into the fuse box it would be handy enough. They sell individual clamps on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭denismc

question- I had somebody quote me including needing an RCBO, isolator. What are these and why do i need them (apologies for the stupid question)?

Ok..I know what they are...but do I need an isolator? and what would people think are a reasonable cost for electrical materials (ex vat).

I estimate I need 1-2 m of cabling (fuse box is on the other side of the external wall to where I need to put in the socket.

I ask as I was given a quote today of around 1250 ex vat, and 10% of that was for Electrical materials.....which i think is a bit high. Power unit was an ABL home charger.

From looking at the Electric Ireland site, I think I could get similar installed for around 750 Eur ish. So this quote was taking the p*ss right?

You will definitely need the RCB, the isolator is optional but as they only cost about 35 euro its worth having.
    I bought my own charger for about 600 euro and install is costing me 500 euro.
    Any electrician should be able to do the install for about 200 but I found it very hard to get any electrician to even give me a quote so I ended up going with Nigel Daly.
    You know there is 600 euro grant available for this installation?

Advertisement