Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I have noticed that on a lot of newer VAG cars they have a safety feature which is the instrument cluster lights up during the day even though the light are off but then as it gets dark the instrument backlights go off if you don't have your dipped beam switched on basically to help you realise your lights aren't switched on. Now I always thought that it was the auto lights function that was used for this ie the sensors in the lights could tell when it was dusk makes sense my older A4 had this and Leon all had auto lights. However I noticed the parents Mk7 golf has the feature yet has no auto lights so I was trying to figure out how it knows when its getting dark and that you have no lights on or does it just go by the time of day which wouldn't make sense really either.

I know its mad some of the small things I think about when it comes to cars.

Back lights should be on with Drls imo on all cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Augeo wrote: »

Fookin A right. One of the stupidest decisions ever made was that they'd be front only.

Thick cvnts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

CIP4 wrote: »
    I have noticed that on a lot of newer VAG cars they have a safety feature which is the instrument cluster lights up during the day even though the light are off but then as it gets dark the instrument backlights go off if you don't have your dipped beam switched on basically to help you realise your lights aren't switched on. Now I always thought that it was the auto lights function that was used for this ie the sensors in the lights could tell when it was dusk makes sense my older A4 had this and Leon all had auto lights. However I noticed the parents Mk7 golf has the feature yet has no auto lights so I was trying to figure out how it knows when its getting dark and that you have no lights on or does it just go by the time of day which wouldn't make sense really either.

I know its mad some of the small things I think about when it comes to cars.

Mondeo does that too. Infuriating that the sensor is obviously there but they know they can gouge you for a few quid extra.

I think you can code it in on most to have them on all the time with the DRL's our Octavia came that way new never seen it on any other new ones though. Auto lights set to come on early does the trick though. TBH I think all new cars should come with auto lights a standard a bit like the TPMS. Although you would probably still get people turning them off and driving around with no lights on in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Replacing RX8 engines is a service item :D

I think I might've killed it by mistaking water in the oil for normal condensation. Even with a knocking bearing it runs happily...

Grabbing a second hand rotary for it. It's the cheapest option anyway to get it to next year. Current engine's probably survived to repairable condition. No con-rod to go through the block.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mondeo does that too. Infuriating that the sensor is obviously there but they know they can gouge you for a few quid extra.

Was thinking that really does make it stupid if the only difference is the switch and some coding. I suppose if they put too much on the basic spec no one will buy the mid spec. Although auto lights are hardly a big extra to give away on the entry spec model.

OSI wrote: »
    The sensor for that is actually in the dash itself. I coded it out, pissed me off no end going through trees and tunnels and the dash would be all over the place.

Ah ok that makes sense alright. It is annoying at times. Don’t have the issue now anymore as I have virtual cockpit in my B9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I coded in DRL function in the rear lights on mine. It's basically just the normal rear lights but they're always on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Savage fully kitted now so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dartz wrote: »
    After looking at what sort of car was out there on my budget, I decided to just put a replacement engine in the Mazda.

I think it got water into the oil somehow which killed a bearing. Not sure how since the coolant was always full.

Could've done without that, but so it goes.
    LS or Cummins swap? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

ELM327 wrote: »
    LS or Cummins swap? :cool:

Hopefully a D239 swap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

Depends on the car, Mazda's from 09 onwards , and a lot of BMW's use their front and rear lights for DRL's, its in their trip computer settings for turning them on and off

Only fronts as standard for BMWs. The rears have to be specifically coded as DRLs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Only fronts as standard for BMWs. The rears have to be specifically coded as DRLs.

My 3-series (E92) has rears on by default.

I think from 2010 onwards the rears where included from factory, have a 320d E92 2010 and fronts and rears on, and on a lot of F10 5 series i see they have the rears as well, unless it was a factory option to have the rear on or off? :confused:

My 2013 F30 had to be coded before the rears came on as DRLs.

Strange, why they don't have the rears on as standard makes no sense considering when Audi brought them out on the B8 they made a big deal of them being a safety thing

Agreed. They're just as useful on the back as they are on the front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

My 2013 F30 had to be coded before the rears came on as DRLs.

Did you not say this a page ago?

DPolo wrote: »
    Strange, why they don't have the rears on as standard makes no sense considering when Audi brought them out on the B8 they made a big deal of them being a safety thing

The B9 has Pre City Sense which I think is a decent safety feature compared to the likes of DRL's. It really does have the ability to prevent collisions with other other cars or pedestrians if for whatever reason the driver isn't paying attention or doesn't react. Acts like an extra layer of protection. I know its far from an Audi only thing loads of manufactures have although not all have it on the base spec models.

Are you saying rear lights are unnecessary because your car will see the other car if you don’t? :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you saying rear lights are unnecessary because your car will see the other car if you don’t? :)

Ah no the tail lights are important but DRL's as a concept were to have the front lights on all the time to improve how visible the car is to others in reality how much of a difference have they made not a massive amount especially when you consider most are only set up with front lights as said tail lights are off.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Ah no the tail lights are important but DRL's as a concept were to have the front lights on all the time to improve how visible the car is to others in reality how much of a difference have they made not a massive amount especially when you consider most are only set up with front lights as said tail lights are off.

You have to factor human nature in though, there are those that don’t realize that their rear lights don’t come on. back in the day if you had no front lights on people would flash their lights at you, now they won’t get that warning. Also even 15 years ago, most cars would have no dash illumination with the lights off, now the speedo etc lights up all the time.
    It’s easy to just say people should just remember, but it doesn’t really work in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Having lights that are already in every car set to on by default is less expensive than installing a radar system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭blackbox

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Having lights that are already in every car set to on by default is less expensive than installing a radar system.

And it's easy to prevent people from driving with their parking lights on. Back in the 70s I had a Fiat Uno and the only way to switch on the parking lights was to remove the key (while pressing a little button).

Depends on the car, Mazda's from 09 onwards , and a lot of BMW's use their front and rear lights for DRL's, its in their trip computer settings for turning them on and off

My opinion is that back lights should be on with DRLs on all cars, by DRLs I meant the fronts :)

My opinion is that back lights should be on with DRLs on all cars, by DRLs I meant the fronts :)

Bit of an add-on to that, the 09 Mazda6 I had you couldn't turn off the dipped beam headlights, they were permanently on as DRL's, same as the Volvo's used to do, dunno how the tiny DRL bulbs on something like a newer golf or passat pass as safety equipment :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Bit of an add-on to that, the 09 Mazda6 I had you couldn't turn off the dipped beam headlights, they were permanently on as DRL's, same as the Volvo's used to do, dunno how the tiny DRL bulbs on something like a newer golf or passat pass as safety equipment :confused:

You could add a relay i believe to stop the Mazda's constant dipped beam.

But I'm not sure where you're getting at the the VW comment, DRL's are not to help you see, just to let others see you.

morritty wrote: »
    You could add a relay i believe to stop the Mazda's constant dipped beam.

But I'm not sure where you're getting at the the VW comment, DRL's are not to help you see, just to let others see you.

As in they're not particularly noticable, on the Passat's or something like a Merc E-class they're hidden in the front fog lights, not much brighter than a parking light, a permanent dipped beam would be cheaper and easier for manufacturers?

IIRC for the Mazda you could swap the relay for the one from a model with auto headlights to turn them off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

As in they're not particularly noticable, on the Passat's or something like a Merc E-class they're hidden in the front fog lights, not much brighter than a parking light, a permanent dipped beam would be cheaper and easier for manufacturers?

IIRC for the Mazda you could swap the relay for the one from a model with auto headlights to turn them off?

I've the same set up in my Superb, to be honest its bright enough for what it needs to be. Same bayonet type bulb as a reverse light.

Correct, Auto light relay fixed it, an expensive fix though. Never really bothered me with my old 6.

blackbox wrote: »
    And it's easy to prevent people from driving with their parking lights on. Back in the 70s I had a Fiat Uno and the only way to switch on the parking lights was to remove the key (while pressing a little button).
    Mk2 Punto did this, not sure if the Grande Punto does too. Very handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My dad's 89 sunny had DRLs fitted not standard but were fitted by 1st owner.

He use to be flashed all the time as back in the 90's people never used their lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

...in hindsight, putting an engine into the boot of the car was a bad idea.

Anyway, it's one thing to buy an engine that 'ran when parked' and quite another to buy one that's still hot from the last time it ran. And can be turned over by hand.

vintagevrs wrote: »

I wasn’t saying that the radar is a better alternative to DRLs wasn’t really comparing them. Just meant that as safety features go they have come on a lot in the last few years.

Dartz wrote: »
    ...in hindsight, putting an engine into the boot of the car was a bad idea.

Anyway, it's one thing to buy an engine that 'ran when parked' and quite another to buy one that's still hot from the last time it ran. And can be turned over by hand.

You bought a scrap engine and it's in the boot of your car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

****ing furious!!! Steped out outisde to see stuff from my glove box scattered across my car. Passenger door closed, drivers open and alarm did not even go off when I opened the car. Nothing is taken. Thats second time this year!!!

Nothing damaged, no forced entry. Nothing taken as I dont keep anything in the car anymore. Wtf?! Looks like no other car touched, again!

We sow a group of young fellas skulking around near my car last evening, but didn't see them do anything.

At this point I dont even know wtf to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

****ing scumbags how are they opening the car?

Might sound stupid, does the car have keyless entry?

Might sound stupid, does the car have keyless entry?

Nope. Normal key. Only central locking and alarm. Both factory.

I am so pissed. I cant put security cameras outside as its a bungalow type house. They will just nick that too. Maybe some camera through the window would do, but motion sensors dont work then.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    A lot of the newer ones work off the video feed for motion detection so will work fine through a window.

Any recommendations? Something decent, but not costing as much as second car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I am so pissed. I cant put security cameras outside as its a bungalow type house. They will just nick that too. Maybe some camera through the window would do, but motion sensors dont work then.

Maybe a dash cam pointed inside the car? Lots of taxis have these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Maybe a dash cam pointed inside the car? Lots of taxis have these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have one of these pointing out the windows of the house:

https://www.gearbest.com/ip-cameras/pp_693217.html

Good quality camera, although nightvision doesn't work when pointing through a window, as the IR light just reflects back. I would look into getting an outdoor camera though, even on a bungalow you can mount it high up the wall and it will be screwed in place. A cheap option would be:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Wireless-Weatherproof-Surveillance-Detection/dp/B0776V3CG5/ref=sr_1_20

You can reduce the harsh look of that by polishing it but there seems to be paint removed so it won't polish out completely.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I've a Xiaomi Yi looking out the upstairs window and it's very good for motion detection (you set the detection area). Not too expensive either and €20 a year uploads all the clips to their cloud (a week at a time before overwriting).

Edit - this one. I got it from Amazon but I don't see them on it now. There's a 1080p version too.

Is it reputable website? Can I order from there?

I have to say, I am lost with all those cameras. Amazon has a few, but I dont even know what to look for.
    All I need is to put it down near the window and record stuff. Preferably with motion sensor. IRones wont work as mentioned here.

That logitech looks perfect, but its 400$++ and I am not sure if its available in europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I got a bit of good news today, waiting almost 5 months for an outcome but finally received a settlement for damage caused to the car due to hitting a pothole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement