Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

OSI wrote: »
    Yep, don't remember the last taxi I was in that didn't have at least one fault light lit up on the dash. Was in an auto Octavia taxi a few months ago and every time he stopped he had to keep shifting in and out of auto until it found a gear again :rolleyes:

Was in an Avensis taxi last week, car kept cutting out every time he came to a stop in neutral or even coasting in neutral, chap said it was doing this for a few days and really should get to a garage sometime over the next week. :rolleyes:

Blocked fuel filter or lines I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

On Dispatches this coming Monday.
    Britain's diesel scandal, according to the ad it seems to be focused on lorries which are getting around emissions regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Biggest culprit is the 2009 to 2011 bracket avensis for smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

On Dispatches this coming Monday.
    Britain's diesel scandal, according to the ad it seems to be focused on lorries which are getting around emissions regulations.

Scania or Volvo were caught doing a VW back in the 90's.
    However the Dispatches episode seems to point the spotlight at Haulage companies doing it to boost fuel economy regardless of emissions.

Just like every facet of society self regulation is no regulation.
    The EU or somebody needs to step up to the plate on emissions and pollution from vehicles, it's ridiculous what's going on.

Any commercial vehicle and taxi is potentially suspect.

No more so than a private car surely?
    CVRT smoke test is the same as the NCT test iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What you get jayo?

Augeo wrote: »

No more so than a private car surely?
    CVRT smoke test is the same as the NCT test iirc.

Well vehicle owners operating for profit are going to be those most aware of fuel costs and likely to look for an advantage. Hardcore commuters would also fit the bill. Fleet car operators etc.

UK already tightened up it's emissions testing and will probably continue to do so. Not sure now will we follow UK or EU developments in this area.

Should apply across the board anyway commercial and private.

Well vehicle owners operating for profit are going to be those most aware of fuel costs and likely to look for an advantage. Hardcore commuters would also fit the bill. Fleet car operators etc.

UK already tightened up it's emissions testing and will probably continue to do so. Not sure now will we follow UK or EU developments in this area.

What can they do that gives them a fuel cost advantage ?
    It seems (and I might be wrong) that you alluding to something that would be detected in a more stringent emissions test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What you get jayo?

Just heading to pick it up got a 131 520d mate like a big kid.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Just heading to pick it up got a 131 520d mate like a big kid.

Fair play to you, enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »

What can they do that gives them a fuel cost advantage ?
    It seems (and I might be wrong) that you alluding to something that would be detected in a more stringent emissions test?

Mapping/modifying the engine/emissions control features in such a way that it gets better MPG at the expense of clean emissions.

That's what Volvo or Scania did, so I expect it's what will be discussed in the Dispatches episode.

There are research articles discussing emission control strategies and trade-off between best NOx emissions and best fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Have been having a weird issue with the 540 since getting off the ferry. The idle seems to have a mili-second stumble to it every 10-15 seconds and some hesitation on hard acceleration. No issues with regular driving and cruising. Getting a P0011 fault code for Timing Too Advanced on Bank 1, all sensors seem to be reading ok and all cylinders reporting no unrest under load. Looks like she's going back in Monday to see what's up, BMW V8's eh :D

Here's a question,is there anyone here who would refuse to let their other halves drive their cars? I personally know 2 people who won't even let them move it off the driveway let alone out on the open road. My missus drives my car and I drive hers whenever it suits,I have no problem with her driving my car and she's the same about hers.

Here's a question,is there anyone here who would refuse to let their other halves drive their cars? I personally know 2 people who won't even let them move it off the driveway let alone out on the open road. My missus drives my car and I drive hers whenever it suits,I have no problem with her driving my car and she's the same about hers.

Mine won't drive mine as it's got too much power....

Now me thinks I can never have enough power....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I have a problem with her driving mine. She's driven it twice I think and I've been there both times. My issue is that to her it's just a car. A ding/scratch/kerbed wheel is ok because it's a car. She doesn't try and avoid potholes and rides the clutch too. She doesn't get why I'm bothered by these things so it saves an argument for her to just take her own. We're both insured on each others cars and I drive hers quite a bit but she has tended to pick up more than her fair share of battle scars.

To be honest I don't like anyone else driving my car full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd say my missus is a better driver than me. She'd have a canary if she gets a stone chip or a car park ding. I pretty much don't care anymore.

I'd say my missus is a better driver than me. She'd have a canary if she gets a stone chip or a car park ding. I pretty much don't care anymore.

When any of that happens I want to do very bad things to the offender.....

OSI wrote: »
    Pulled into the driveway earlier and started getting out of the car when some total weirdo in a white BMW stopped in front of the house, looked directly at me, revved the nuts off his engine and then drove off again. Are we dating now?

I would say they were so annoyed at the size of yours they will most likely be back.... That or they plan on taking you....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Cycled to the Kebab shop. Thought it'd be handy since it was all downhill all the way. Didn't reckon on cycling back.

Gained a new appreciation for what the engine in the car does.

Moving 20 stone uphil is hard enough.

Wouldnt it be great if we could fuel our cars on kebabs? One bite for me, one for the tank. Bitta chilli sauce and you got flames from the exhaust, lovely jubbly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Can anyone tell me if a dpf removal will affect the nct? ( 2.0 hdi Peugeot, 163)
    Apologies if this has been discussed here at length before.
    Looking to pull the trigger on a 508, swimmer, but rattled by a buddy who says all Volvo and Peugeot dpf’s Give trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not currently checked by the NCT but that will most likely change in the not too distant future given the bad press diesels are getting. And it's not just reserved for certain brands either, if your driving style or usage doesn't suit a modern diesel car then your bound to encounter the same DPF issues no matter which make of car you drive.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not currently checked by the NCT but that will most likely change in the not too distant future given the bad press diesels are getting. And it's not just reserved for certain brands either, if your driving style or usage doesn't suit a modern diesel car then your bound to encounter the same DPF issues no matter which make of car you drive.
    Cool, yea, agreed on the driving style and mileage, just wasn’t sure if the test was an actual co2 test per car/engine or a straight smog/soot test

****ing nervous about pulling the trigger, don’t want big bills, currently driving a petrol Volvo S80 petrol
    Edit: without issue for the last 4 yearrs

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Diesel cars don't undergo a co2 (carbon dioxide) emissions test in the NCT, diesels are tested for CO (carbon monoxide) afaik. In Britain I think they do a visual check of the DPF as part of the MOT at present. I'd say they are not too far off following that here in the NCT.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Diesel cars don't undergo a co2 (carbon dioxide) emissions test in the NCT, diesels are tested for CO (carbon monoxide) afaik. In Britain I think they do a visual check of the DPF as part of the MOT at present. I'd say they are not too far off following that here in the NCT.

Good man bazz, just the information I was looking for ðŸ‘

Saw a lovely 508 for sale on dd and in the information about the car they said dpf removed, got me thinking. Upon further investigation I realised that they give trouble if not looked after, hence the question

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not that I won't let her drive it, but it infuriates me that she feels the need to always have water bottles, napkins, and whatever else inside the car, and leaves them there whether she's in it or not. I keep my car sterile. There is nothing visible in any of the cupholders, pockets, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Saw a 10 D Citroen Xsara pic-my-asso the other day, after looking it up I never realised they assembled them up to 2010 in the UK and are still assembled in Egypt (although I have yet to find prices for a new one)

Also thought no one would be dim enough to buy and import them in 2010 :p

• Advertisement

Not that I won't let her drive it, but it infuriates me that she feels the need to always have water bottles, napkins, and whatever else inside the car, and leaves them there whether she's in it or not. I keep my car sterile. There is nothing visible in any of the cupholders, pockets, etc.

I hate that too,it could only be a quick spin to the shops or a school run yet some people feel the need to bring water bottles and stuff as if they were crossing the Sahara.
    The funny thing about the lads I know that won't let their wives drive their cars both had tips themselves. One wrecked his wife's car as he drive hers rather than bring his own out in the snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement