Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SERIOUS ISSUES with Triax ST-HD537 Combi - Buyer Beware

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Con_K

I brought the Triax 537 back. got Golden Media box. Still the terrestrial was dropping out as soon as the sat signal was connected to the back of the box. It turned out to be the diplexer was faulty. I replaced it with a new one. Problem prevailed.
    So I've removed the diplexer alltogether (kind of double adapter little junction box that combines the terriestial and sat signal onto one cable, used with a second little box that splits the signal out at the other end).

Hated the Golden Media box interface, looks really amature like a student IT project.

So the fault WAS NOT WITH THE TRIAX 537.

Power City were great and gave me the Triax 537 back. I've changed the wiring so that the connections from dish an aerial are direct into Triax 537. It is now working perfectly for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ejk65

Hi All

Just tried to install a 537 for someone and had similar probs as others have described in this thread.

Does anyone know where I can download latest s/w and/or f/w? I'm sure the box I've been landed with has older versions!

Or maybe someone could attach to a posting?

Thx.

P.S.
    I'm not at all impressed, Triax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 barzer82

Hey Lads,

I had a simular problem, I contacted Power city who put me in contact with a company Electroplus, Electroplus sent me the new Triax software by e mail and also i called over to them and I purchased a Triax Satellite & DTT Combiner and has worked fine to date. the part are not expensive and effective.There phone number is 4196240, Well worth the phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Con_K wrote: »
    I brought the Triax 537 back. got Golden Media box. Still the terrestrial was dropping out as soon as the sat signal was connected to the back of the box. It turned out to be the diplexer was faulty. I replaced it with a new one. Problem prevailed.
    So I've removed the diplexer alltogether (kind of double adapter little junction box that combines the terriestial and sat signal onto one cable, used with a second little box that splits the signal out at the other end).

Hated the Golden Media box interface, looks really amature like a student IT project.

So the fault WAS NOT WITH THE TRIAX 537.

Power City were great and gave me the Triax 537 back. I've changed the wiring so that the connections from dish an aerial are direct into Triax 537. It is now working perfectly for me.

I would point out that my cabling doesnt include a combiner- and i still had massive issues with it

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ejk65

byte wrote: »
    Go to Menu >> Information. Press 1745.

Here you should find a hidden menu to backup channel data to USB, restore from USB, and rearrange channels.

Hi, I tried this but no hidden menu visible. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, if anything! Anyone got any pictures of this process?

Box has s/w ver. 1.6.0 installed, from new.
    I hope to update s/w to latest ver. (3.3.1?) when I get hold of it!
    Maybe then I won't need to get into hidden menu as latest s/w ver allows channel sorting??!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 norbert1

Bought the Traix 537 a few weeks. Had not seen this thread. Can understand frustration of Liamtech. Brought it back twice because of signal problem with 'terrestial' channels. Live with direct view of Three Rock -picked up 95% signal and kept on having to reset and put up with loss of signal. Tried a variety of aerials. Powercity seemed unaware of any issue but kept offering replacements. Despite look of it I went with Golden Media. Working perfectly.

my experience exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That box is now available from Power City for €225.25. It has software version 3.4.1. Would you guys recommend it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

That box is now available from Power City for €225.25. It has software version 3.4.1. Would you guys recommend it now?

I exchanged my original 537 for the updated one last week. I set it up and gave it to a family member as a present as planned last christmas. It appears to be working fine. However it is not possible to rearrange the channels properly. I wanted UTV on channel 3 and when I went through the steps in the menu it accepted my input but when I went to view channel 3 it had disappeared completely. The assistant and I tried it on the one in powercity also and it did the same. Some channels could be rearranged however! I put the channels in favourites instead, in the order I found them though if I had been careful I could have put them in the correct order by working on them in the order I wanted them to finish in. Still not great as favourites is only accessible after scrolling through a few menus every time you want to change channel. I will stick with it until the warranty is nearly up and hope there are further updates which appear to be kept secret or until another brand becomes available with MHEG 5, combi, PIR

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not Certified

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 norbert1

I checked the firmware before returing it and it was 3.4.1. Also, I had no problem rearranging channels on the first triax but had serious problems with the second triax I returned. A bit of a lucky dip?

norbert1 wrote: »
    I checked the firmware before returing it and it was 3.4.1. Also, I had no problem rearranging channels on the first triax but had serious problems with the second triax I returned. A bit of a lucky dip?

I was just checking prices on Powercity and noticed the 537 seems to be gone ?!?!?! Anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

liamtech wrote: »
    I was just checking prices on Powercity and noticed the 537 seems to be gone ?!?!?! Anyone confirm this?
    It's certainly not on their website at the moment. Pretty sure it was earlier in week. No mention of it at tvtrade.ie either. Most confusing as Dave indicated in this thread only two days ago that he believed its problems were "sorted now".
    Perhaps Dave (Digital Satellite TV) might know what's happening.

liamtech: You have done this forum & consumers in general great service not just by drawing attention to the problems associated with the much awaited, much hyped Triax ST-HD 537 but also in your subsequent, tireless pursuit of Triax to resolve the defects with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Given the number of complaints posted here and subsequent returns to Powercity, I'm surprised they stuck with it for so long.

+1 cheers to liamtech

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

+ 2 Cheers to Liamtech. Great work, if a bit frustrating:)

It's certainly not on their website at the moment. Pretty sure it was earlier in week. No mention of it at tvtrade.ie either. Most confusing as Dave indicated in this thread only two days ago that he believed its problems were "sorted now".
    Perhaps Dave (Digital Satellite TV) might know what's happening.

liamtech: You have done this forum & consumers in general great service not just by drawing attention to the problems associated with the much awaited, much hyped Triax ST-HD 537 but also in your subsequent, tireless pursuit of Triax to resolve the defects with it.

Well guys i really appreciate your posts, thanks a million. I just wish things had turned out differently with regards to this box -

It must be almost 8 months ago that we first started hearing about it as the only Fully Compatible and "soon to be" Saorview certified Set top box. You see for me it was always the certification part of this that would clinch the market... and reveal the world of free to air satellite and DTT as a viable alternative.... When the possibilities of an Internet Updated EPG via the LAN port were first mentioned it sounded to good to be true... Alas it seems it was...

Since we brought the 537 back, i have literally been "watching this space" for what i thought would be a quick few software fixes... i havent been in touch with Triax in months but i have been waiting for the solution they promised me and others... and although several users have reported error free usage of the unit, it seems the vast majority have had varying degrees of success...

I fail to see why its taking so long...

More than that though - I fail to see why another company hasn't jumped at the prospect having the first Saorview Certified Combi box - i mean literally, 5 minutes on this forum, and you can clearly see people are crying out for a product of this nature....

Seriously i would say this to Walker, MVision, Humax, Technisat, or any company with the proper know how.... The Irish market awaits you and is thirsty for this product... and dont forget that a Combi box with MHEG5 might go down a treat elsewhere... in the UK for one!

Was in a Powercity branch today. Salesman reckons new stocks of the 537 due in this weekend. Purchased the Saorview certified Triax TR 112 STB. Definitely worth your while bartering on price if anybody is interested. ;)

Was in a Powercity branch today. Salesman reckons new stocks of the 537 due in this weekend. Purchased the Saorview certified Triax TR 112 STB. Definitely worth your while bartering on price if anybody is interested. ;)

There is a new Version of Software from Triax 3.8.1,
    The new 3.8.1 software is associated with a minor hardware change
    Power City now have them in stock.

299EURO FOR A COMBO BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if it was 100% error free, that is a total rip-off

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-THD537&pages=1&prod=THD537&brands=TRIAX&image=

i would still have my doubts about it but i await users reports on this "New Model", hopefully it is genuinely a fully functioning model -

Is this STHD537 going to be Saorview Certified?

As far as I am aware it meets the Saorview Spec with it been MHEG5 but just doesnt have the Saorview logo.

• Advertisement

barzer82 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware it meets the Saorview Spec with it been MHEG5 but just doesnt have the Saorview logo.

That has been the case all along with this set top box - the sthd537 is MHEG5 compatible with both satellite and terrestrial, which was very impressive - unfortunately it was just about the only impressive thing this box had -

As regards the Triax sthd537 hardware change, can anyone explain what exact change has been made... :confused:my understanding was that the issues were purely software related.. that being said a hardware issue would explain why a purely software fix wasn't made available sooner... it might also explain the apparent jump in price to what seems an extortionate 299 or 280 with the online discount. in all honesty no combo box let alone the sthd537 is worth that?!?!

Another thing that occurs to me is what happens to all the poor users who bought the "original"
    Triax sthd537? Do they get a free "Upgrade"? My god we are so lucky to have brought the unit back in that case!

Price has just dropped to 225euro... Are Triax actually listening to us in real time?

Price has just dropped to 225euro... Are Triax actually listening to us in real time?

Steady LT, your good but...

When in Powercity branch yesterday and when enquiring about the 537, salesman looked up price on system, quoted €299 but after sighs stated price on new stock was due to come down - surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

So while Triax may not be listening in real time, objective criticism on Boards of this product - patently released without comprehensive testing - has resulted not only (fingers crossed) in bugs being fixed on this product but also in a decent price cut to tempt potential purchasers back. Now take a bow LT & all those who shared their experience and expertise on this thread. Consumers 1 - Manufacturers 0.

Don't neglect your bartering skills either when face to face with salesman. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Its long been my belief that Powercity are lurkers on this part of the forum. Whatever about €225, €299 was definitely a try on.

An MHEG5 engine trying to understand both DTT and Sat data from 2 different sources in the one channel list has always puzzled me. I do not believe the MHEG5 issues will ever go away as a result.

HD Combo boxes are now selling as low as €135 in Ireland. Do not pay any more for one.

Just reading back through thread and should have remembered this one from Kristopherus on 15th May:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Has anyone seen this "new" model, as the picture on the PC website suggests it's different, with a channel number display on front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Yes thought so to byte. It look like the older 527 on the powercity site. I am sure it is nothing like that graphic!

STB wrote: »
    Its long been my belief that Powercity are lurkers on this part of the forum. Whatever about €225, €299 was definitely a try on.

An MHEG5 engine trying to understand both DTT and Sat data from 2 different sources in the one channel list has always puzzled me. I do not believe the MHEG5 issues will ever go away as a result.

HD Combo boxes are now selling as low as €135 in Ireland. Do not pay any more for one.

I Dont actually believe that the sthd537 issues are related to its use of MHEG5 - For my part, when i used the unit the MHEG5 seemed to function perfectly and even worked when the unit had "supposedly" lost the DTT signal. However i could be wrong - as its the only MHEG5 combi box availabe (sadly:( ) i cant be sure one way or another. At this point i reckon your probably right about the combi box prices - the sthd537 is far to expensive even at 225euro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

At this point i reckon your probably right about the combi box prices - the sthd537 is far to expensive even at 225euro
    For a (working) fully certified receiver it might still be a runner even at that price point. If it's not certified I wouldn't be touching it at that price, and if it is I'd be waiting for a few others to make the leap first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mick_ser

From what I have heard the hardware change is something small will know for sure tomorrow.. agree with how troublesome this box has been very disapointing, hopefully this new model will be 100% fully functioning..

Advertisement