Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SERIOUS ISSUES with Triax ST-HD537 Combi - Buyer Beware

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or a compatible TV and Freesat HD box.

My son bought an LG 42LD450 HDTV (only lacking in Saorview certification and OTA updates in compatibility) €460 and a S/H Sky HD box €50, No Sub on Sky box, but it has UK NI EPG via an old obsolete FTV card (no FTV channels) and BBC Red Button. Makes a reasonable combo. You do need a Rev8 or later Sky Remote for virtually any TV that has Irish Compatibility.

Till Soarsat or some other single box real PVR solution we are using PC recording. USB DTT stick on a Win7 laptop and also WinXP based "Media Centre Style" system running DVBViewer with 2 x PCI DVB-S2 cards and a single Dual Tuner USB stick for DVB-T. Core AVC + NVidia GT210 GPU/GFX HDMI 1080p for MPEG4. (I've given up on DVB dream and ProgDVB for now).

We have Multiswitch with four LNB inputs and 16 out, so plan is to get "Freeview HD" boxes for all the TVs eventually, once the issues of Diseqc and "other channels" etc are clear and best model is clearer.

For more than one room with Freesat the Multiswitch and Saorsat I think will be best route, for PVR or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

I rang Electroplus on Wednesday last informing them that I aware through boards.ie that there were serious problems with the Triax 537 and that I understood that fixes were imminent. They informed me that he was in possession of a software fix that morning that would resolve these issues and that he would inform boards.ie of this. I have been keeping in touch with this thread since then and so far nothing has been posted. Does anyone know if this has been posted to a different thread.

While I'm on, does anyone know is there a software update that will make the Edision Argus Mini or Argus VIP2 MHEG5 compatible or if indeed its possible to upgrade thes two boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

I rang Electroplus on Wednesday last informing them that I aware through boards.ie that there were serious problems with the Triax 537 and that I understood that fixes were imminent. They informed me that he was in possession of a software fix that morning that would resolve these issues and that he would inform boards.ie of this. I have been keeping in touch with this thread since then and so far nothing has been posted. Does anyone know if this has been posted to a different thread.

While I'm on, does anyone know is there a software update that will make the Edision Argus Mini or Argus VIP2 MHEG5 compatible or if indeed its possible to upgrade thes two boxes.

I spoke to Electroplus on or around the 15th of February - i was told that triax were just finalizing a software update to fix all of the addressed issues - that was 12 days ago - i emailed triax directly having spoke to one of their engineers on the telephone previously - they explained that they expected a software update by the end of that week - thursday or friday the 16th/17th -

As i RELUCTANTLY dont have this product anymore i am no longer in touch with either the manufacturer or the supplier - but i stand by my criticism of the unit 100% - in my opinion using software version 1.9, the unit is not fully functional, and has a number of serious issues -

Since getting a refund i have kept my eye in general on this mess, and i have to say i find the whole thing shocking - Triax dont even have a page on their website for this unit: no sign of any information coming from them with regards to the very real issues present in the unit -

With regards to MHEG5, as far as im aware the only boxes currently available are walker and the TRIAX 537 - supposedly there is a Triax Terrestrial box due out that will be certified, but who knows!

im speculating but i doubt previously released boxes such as the Edison or the Ferguson, can be software updated to include MHEG5 - i hope im wrong and if i am, i will be the first to buy one of these boxes!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's technically possible. But not on the horizon at all.
    1) While MHEG5 is royalty free there is not yet any working open source MHEG5 engine for PCs or Setbox, only ones you buy.
    2) The setbox software has to be integrated (GUI especially) with the MHEG5 engine, a simple plug-in isn't feasible. This in the case of some products is a complete re-write (look at 527 -> 537 migration difficulty!)
    3) Some boxes might not have enough RAM

Don't hold your breath on existing unsupported product. MHEG5 is more likely on new products.

Also you ARE taking a risk with ANY uncertified box. This is still a risk with a certified "Freeview HD" box, but the incompatibilities and risk there is mostly understood. The "generic" boxes are really for some very basic mainland Europe services or hobbyists. They are not recommended at all for Ordinary consumers.

2 Months and still no word - so much for their "We'll have this sorted in no time at all - by the end of the week, or the very earliest next week".

Does anyone have any info, official or otherwise about this product - We had high hopes for the ST-HD537 as an MHEG5 combo with possible Saorview certification - has it vanished all together or what?

Also is there ANY chance of other manufacturers bringing out similar products- we all know that FREESAT/SAORVIEW combi box is unlikely, but even an MHEG5 combi box would do the trick-

Is there any light at the end of the horizon, or are we condemned to a life of two PVR DVB RECEIVERS! (OH I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE, WILL SOME BODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

liamtech wrote: »
    2 Months and still no word - so much for their "We'll have this sorted in no time at all - by the end of the week, or the very earliest next week".

Does anyone have any info, official or otherwise about this product - We had high hopes for the ST-HD537 as an MHEG5 combo with possible Saorview certification - has it vanished all together or what?

Also is there ANY chance of other manufacturers bringing out similar products- we all know that FREESAT/SAORVIEW combi box is unlikely, but even an MHEG5 combi box would do the trick-

Is there any light at the end of the horizon, or are we condemned to a life of two PVR DVB RECEIVERS! (OH I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE, WILL SOME BODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! :D)
    will say this,i dont trust triax after this,specialy bringing out a so called certified box and if soarview certified this,they even worse if they passed it,says lots
    correct me me only didderence between this model and 527 is the certified stamp and mpeg5 and the 527 model works

Having followed this forum and others, I am absolutly stressed out at this stage. The whole thing is a complete and complicated mess and I think we would be all doing ourselves a big favour by switching off for 6 months until its all sorted out or we will all end up in the asylum. You know, Sky+ is getting more attractive to me by the day. For a small outlay of under €6 a week you will get everything and more than Freesat or FTA. You can now remotely record using your PC or Mobile Phone. They are upgrading all the time and you can sit back and relax. If you keep your eye on their adds, they are running promotions from time to time to include their usual installation charge as part of the package. In other words, no initial outlay whatsoever, everything supplied FOC. My son availed of that in February.

will say this,i dont trust triax after this,specialy bringing out a so called certified box and if soarview certified this,they even worse if they passed it,says lots
    correct me me only didderence between this model and 527 is the certified stamp and mpeg5 and the 527 model works

The 527 does work, but it is entirely different to the 537 in both design, superficially and internally - unfortunately i didnt open it up as this would have voided the warranty, which i eventually made use of and got a refund:
    Having followed this forum and others, I am absolutly stressed out at this stage. The whole thing is a complete and complicated mess and I think we would be all doing ourselves a big favour by switching off for 6 months until its all sorted out or we will all end up in the asylum. You know, Sky+ is getting more attractive to me by the day. For a small outlay of under €6 a week you will get everything and more than Freesat or FTA. You can now remotely record using your PC or Mobile Phone. They are upgrading all the time and you can sit back and relax. If you keep your eye on their adds, they are running promotions from time to time to include their usual installation charge as part of the package. In other words, no initial outlay whatsoever, everything supplied FOC. My son availed of that in February.

I will never switch over to sky - for me Freesat/FTA_28.2 has many benefits over sky -
    • Free PVR Functionality - and even more with a Freesat+ Box
    • ITV2,3,4, and BBC3+4, and five, available without pesky Sky manual tuning!
    • HD channels available without manual tuning
    • DID I MENTION ITS FREE!!!!

But i can easily see how people can get very browned off with the current set of circumstances - NO RTE Is the main drawback for most people in this country- Everyone on this forum knows the licensing reasons behind RTE's lack of FTA satellite from 28.2 - but try telling that to someone who is not in the know... NIGHTMARE

Personally i dont hold out much hope for saorsat as its a completely different location in the sky - supposedly two dishes and a DISEQ switch may do the trick -

BUT! If your thinking of using a freesat box, then the RTE stations will be in the NON Freesat Manual tuning section of that setup - and i seriously doubt that an EPG beyond Now and next will be possible - Also a second dish is theoretically not allowed - I havent been keeping an eye on Saorsat as i believe it is more trouble than its worth

The answer is obvious to everyone and that is a combi Saorview & Free-to-Air Satellite box - its a completely ludicrous situation given the obvious market gap that no one has released a Proper Working MHEG5 Combi-box - And its the lack of this product that is halting the flow of Customers over to FTA28.2 and Saorview as a real alternative

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Go to Menu >> Information. Press 1745.

Here you should find a hidden menu to backup channel data to USB, restore from USB, and rearrange channels.

think the whole idea about getting rid of sky is cost ,almost 300 euros per year on basic package and then you add 160 euros for licence on top,the amount of people getting rid of sky or upc is mad according too tv installer friends,times are hard,,when you say its only 6 euros per week,sounds like a ad,yes ,maybe cheap that way but again depends how much you watch tv,for me,not as much so ddt/sat setup is better,no costs outside of getting first time,but as they say
    too each there own

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    Go to Menu >> Information. Press 1745.

Here you should find a hidden menu to backup channel data to USB, restore from USB, and rearrange channels.

As i dont have a 537 i cant try that but il take your word for it - But im quite sure this doesnt solve all the other issues this unit has - dropping the DTT signal, Missing recordings, Missing stations (BBC Streams, and STV-HD)

I probably wont ever buy one myself - but i would still like to see a saorview combi box - i mean honestly what is it going to take! 2 months and no word at all

byte

Yeah, it doesn't fix those problems.

The boxes out lately seem to have newer firmware (v 3.3.1), which does tune in STV HD, C4 HD, BBC Streams, etc. I don't know if it addresses DTT signal problems or missed recordings. DTT works whenever I've looked at it, though as I don't own one, I don't pay much attention to it.

For those of you using the older fw, I have compiled a Channel List including BBC Streams, STVHD, etc. Winters tested it for me, and it worked out for him (even the DTT channels worked despite my using Truskmore during the setup, and him using 3Rock).

Unzip attachment and put all the files into the root of a USB pendrive.
    Of course, use at your own risk! If the DTT channels don't work, maybe delete and rescan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yeah, it doesn't fix those problems.

The boxes out lately seem to have newer firmware (v 3.3.1), which does tune in STV HD, C4 HD, BBC Streams, etc. I don't know if it addresses DTT signal problems or missed recordings. DTT works whenever I've looked at it, though as I don't own one, I don't pay much attention to it.

For those of you using the older fw, I have compiled a Channel List including BBC Streams, STVHD, etc. Winters tested it for me, and it worked out for him (even the DTT channels worked despite my using Truskmore during the setup, and him using 3Rock).

Unzip attachment and put all the files into the root of a USB pendrive.
    Of course, use at your own risk! If the DTT channels don't work, maybe delete and rescan.

As byte said, I've been testing this on my ST-HD537 and it has solved most of my channel listing/viewing issues. I now have all the separate BBC Steams and StvHD (etc.) tuned in and working and the hidden menu has allowed me to re-arrange the sat channels to how I want them.

I am still running on v1.6 firmware but have not had any issues with it dropping signal (as others have). I also would not trust it entirely with its PVR functionality, its a sort of a nice to have in order to throw something on to record while watching another or having to leave the room but I would not trust it with scheduling things in advance like I would our Sky+ box. It really didn't take well to LONG recordings. It didn't like me trying to play back 8 hours of 6 Nations recording before. That is a long story...

Winters wrote: »
    As byte said, I've been testing this on my ST-HD537 and it has solved most of my channel listing/viewing issues. I now have all the separate BBC Steams and StvHD (etc.) tuned in and working and the hidden menu has allowed me to re-arrange the sat channels to how I want them.

I am still running on v1.6 firmware but have not had any issues with it dropping signal (as others have). I also would not trust it entirely with its PVR functionality, its a sort of a nice to have in order to throw something on to record while watching another or having to leave the room but I would not trust it with scheduling things in advance like I would our Sky+ box. It really didn't take well to LONG recordings. It didn't like me trying to play back 8 hours of 6 Nations recording before. That is a long story...
    so you dont have any issues with ddt channels with 537 box,sounds like a hit and miss with boxes,think it be better if there where more certified saorview box combos out,more choice etc

Can you confirm if you can record one channell and watch another on the satalite side and likewise on the terristrial side is it possible to record one channel while watching another.

Can you confirm if you can record one channell and watch another on the satalite side and likewise on the terristrial side is it possible to record one channel while watching another.

I have never had an issue of watching a DTT channel while recording another Sat channel (or visa-versa). A problem will occour if you try and watch and record one on the same (SAT or DTT), it pops up a message to tell you if I recall (I'll check once I am home).

so you dont have any issues with ddt channels with 537 box,sounds like a hit and miss with boxes,think it be better if there where more certified saorview box combos out,more choice etc
    I've never had any problems when watching any DTT channels on my 537 box. Could have been loose connection or solder on other boxes possibly?

I have never had an issue of watching a DTT channel while recording another Sat channel (or visa-versa). A problem will occour if you try and watch and record one on the same (SAT or DTT), it pops up a message to tell you if I recall (I'll check once I am home).

I've never had any problems when watching any DTT channels on my 537 box. Could have been loose connection or solder on other boxes possibly?

Many thanks for reply. Yes, I had a feeling that you couldn't watch and record the same channel on the sat side. It would have to be like Sky with two LNB inputs and two tuners. However, with advances in technology you never know what's possible and since you have a 537, it raised my curiosity. On the DTT side, I seem to remember reading a post
    somewhere on boards that this might be possible. If you have the time to put this to the test, I would delighted to hear your findings..

Many thanks for reply. Yes, I had a feeling that you couldn't watch and record the same channel on the sat side. It would have to be like Sky with two LNB inputs and two tuners. However, with advances in technology you never know what's possible and since you have a 537, it raised my curiosity. On the DTT side, I seem to remember reading a post
    somewhere on boards that this might be possible. If you have the time to put this to the test, I would delighted to hear your findings..

As far as I know when I tried it before I could not watch one DTT while recording another. I will give it another go later on. My firmware is still the old original one (v1.6) so if newer ones are coming with updated Firmware I cannot say for sure if this is still the case.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-THD537

Shes back folks! Anyone have any experience of this ST-HD537 - MARK II

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-THD537

Shes back folks! Anyone have any experience of this ST-HD537 - MARK II

First thing that occurs to me, it doesn't display the Saorview Approved stamp. Is this the same machine back on the shelf with a software upgrade addressing the issues you outlined in the initial post on this subject? Did you contact your source in Electroplus to get their explanation? Out of curiosity, I checked the Saorview website to see if this was included in the list and found that it's not.

• Advertisement
    byte

The newer current models have later v3.3.1 software.

Pressing OK button, there also now includes an EDIT option for Blue button. This is for channel swapping etc (similar to using Menu>>Info>>1475 in older version).

The newer current models have later v3.3.1 software.

Pressing OK button, there also now includes an EDIT option for Blue button. This is for channel swapping etc (similar to using Menu>>Info>>1475 in older version).
    Spoke to Electroplus this morning and they tell me that this is the same 537 with a 4th software upgrade. As far as he is concerned, the box is now fully functional and all issues addressed. Love to get a review from someone with these upgrades installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭try

Spoke to Electroplus this morning and they tell me that this is the same 537 with a 4th software upgrade. As far as he is concerned, the box is now fully functional and all issues addressed. Love to get a review from someone with these upgrades installed.

Using for a 2nd tv in kitchen so not bothered about recording, etc.
    No probs withsatellite signal or watching. However it sometimes freezes on saorview then goes again. Occasionally I have to power off then on to get picture. Not fool proof. Seriously considering sending it back.

try wrote: »
    Using for a 2nd tv in kitchen so not bothered about recording, etc.
    No probs withsatellite signal or watching. However it sometimes freezes on saorview then goes again. Occasionally I have to power off then on to get picture. Not fool proof. Seriously considering sending it back.

That sounds suspiciously like the same issue we experienced - The terrestrial signal dropping and requiring the unit to be powered off in order to get it back. I dunno i would probably send it back, given the hassle i had - Where did you buy it? And what firmware are you using

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

I HAVE THE ORIGINAL PIECE OF kIT. WHERE CAN I GET THESE UPGRADES? WILL I NEED THEM ALL OR JUST THE 4TH ONE. I LOOKED ON THE TRIAX SITE YESTERDAY BUT NOTHING. THERE IS ONE UPGRADE IN THIS THREAD, I WONDER IF IT IS THE FINAL 1.

I HAVE THE ORIGINAL PIECE OF kIT. WHERE CAN I GET THESE UPGRADES? WILL I NEED THEM ALL OR JUST THE 4TH ONE. I LOOKED ON THE TRIAX SITE YESTERDAY BUT NOTHING. THERE IS ONE UPGRADE IN THIS THREAD, I WONDER IF IT IS THE FINAL 1.

Get the telephone number here https://www.electroplustrade.ie/ and ask for trades sales. They will be able to advise you.

You will only need the latest update. You install it via the USB key/hdd in the back and when it boots up it finds it and will do the firmware install (takes a few minutes). Once it is done it will reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Con_K

Bought the Triax 537 Monday night(11Apr2011) in Powercity after reading this thread. Hoping it would be OK for me.

I've 2 TVs one with cable direct from aerial and dish, the other with cables running through diplexer(combines sat and aerial signal on to single cable, then splits out signal at destination tv).

Works fine on TV 1 with feed direct from Aerial and Dish. Although I have not watched it there for long.

Other room, (through diplexer) Plugged it all in. First night, it showed the Sat dish channels perfect. But no DTT.
    Next night it showed the DTT and not the Sat dish channels.
    Also froze completely when trying to read my 250Gexternal harddrive.

Afraid of taking on persecution of other user "liamtech". planning to return it and swop for other box tonight.

its not saorview certified yet going by the official site,theres no combo certified yet,hoping walker will do a combo,seems too work ok with non combo version ,i see power city selling them ok but be afraid after liams experience too get one,and now going by your comments, doesn't look like much has changed,was going too pick one up but changed my mind
    does the Triax ST-HD527 do MHEG5 ?

• Advertisement

Con_K wrote: »
    Bought the Triax 537 Monday night(11Apr2011) in Powercity after reading this thread. Hoping it would be OK for me.

I've 2 TVs one with cable direct from aerial and dish, the other with cables running through diplexer(combines sat and aerial signal on to single cable, then splits out signal at destination tv).

Works fine on TV 1 with feed direct from Aerial and Dish. Although I have not watched it there for long.

Other room, (through diplexer) Plugged it all in. First night, it showed the Sat dish channels perfect. But no DTT.
    Next night it showed the DTT and not the Sat dish channels.
    Also froze completely when trying to read my 250Gexternal harddrive.

Afraid of taking on persecution of other user "liamtech". planning to return it and swop for other box tonight.
    did you take it back and change it for another box
    very weird that you cant watch ddt channel while watching another, Ferguson combo an nvision combo can,,weird

Advertisement