Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SERIOUS ISSUES with Triax ST-HD537 Combi - Buyer Beware

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

The Triax STHD537 is now 149Euro on power city - very interesting - anyone have any experience with this "new version" - specifically in relation to the original issues!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

liamtech wrote: »
    The Triax STHD537 is now 149Euro on power city - very interesting - anyone have any experience with this "new version" - specifically in relation to the original issues!

That's pretty decent value, particularly if its running the latest firmware which has been solid enough for me. I'd love to know what the firmware is on it or if it has any changes from my original box.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

Confused. Has latest offering new firmware? Powercity ad makes no mention of new firmware; states Software 3.8.1 From 24th May 2011. Support for this model on Triax website is poor or even non-existent. Correct me please if that's incorrect. Model STHD537 not listed at Software Downloads. (In contrast Saorview TR112 is supported there.). Triax model STHD537 is not even listed as a product of theirs on their webite. See: 'Products'>'Combi Receivers'.
    In Triax's defence at least the product does come with a 2 Year Triax Warranty.
    Keeping in mind this comment from a Boards contributor in the know:
    I meant the new Triax combo. More or less went back to the drawing board for the new model which as I say if everything goes to plan (fingers crossed) might make an appearance in the autumn.
    ... So while I still have this product on my shopping list, I will now await arrival of the 'new' Saorview certified model later in the year. Would be nice if it too is priced in the sub €150.00 bracket and not the extortionate premium that it's elder sibling commanded. Come on Triax, please try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

its the old box with new software, PC rang me. I cant even find a manual so wait etc

gb-

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Has anyone any info on what v. 3.8.1 fixes, over the last version 3.4.1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

byte wrote: »
    Has anyone any info on what v. 3.8.1 fixes, over the last version 3.4.1?

Answer should be here:

http://www.triax.com/Downloads/Software/Settopbox.aspx

... but it isn't. Poor Non-existent online support for this model from a 'premium' brand. Ireland doesn't even appear in drop-down menu on Triax homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    its the old box with new software, PC rang me. I cant even find a manual so wait etc

gb-
    I'm afraid PC havent got a clue.
    I was on to Electroplus who have been extremely helpful with software upgrades. They say that 3.8.1 is a hardware upgrade and that the old box cannot be upgraded and that I should bring it back and change it for the newest version. I emailed Powercity and Triax and neither had the manners to reply. When I went back to Powercity Drogheda they appeared to have no idea that there has been endless problems with the 537 but at least they exchanged it for me or would have given another make if I wanted it. Does anyone know where Electroplus come into the loop? I bet if i quote them to Powercity they will look at me as if I have 2 heads.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I was on to Electroplus who have been extremely helpful with software upgrades. They say that 3.8.1 is a hardware upgrade and that the old box cannot be upgraded and that I should bring it back and change it for the newest version. I emailed Powercity and Triax and neither had the manners to reply. When I went back to Powercity Drogheda they appeared to have no idea that there has been endless problems with the 537 but at least they exchanged it for me or would have given another make if I wanted it. Does anyone know where Electroplus come into the loop? I bet if i quote them to Powercity they will look at me as if I have 2 heads.
    Electroplus are distributors of Triax gear (and apart from their dishes, I'd not consider them a "premium" brand).

I don't know if Electroplus have a shop for consumers?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

byte wrote: »
    Electroplus are distributors of Triax gear (and apart from their dishes, I'd not consider them a "premium" brand).

I don't know if Electroplus have a shop for consumers?

That's good to know, I'll be getting my 3rd box this week. I could ask for my money back on the original and then buy the latest at the new price!

So it was a hardware problem, which cant be fixed via software... To be honest i cant say im surprised at this stage - i had a feeling there was something physical wrong with the sthd537 for one reason: the lack of a software fix within weeks if not days - I genuinely wonder where this leaves early adopters who purchased the box in february - I would assume they can get a refund if they bought it from a shop - indeed several boarders have stated they got a refund -

Im also EXTREMELY curious as to the nature of this hardware fault - If i was to hazard a guess i would say it was the STHD537 continual dropping of the DTT Terrestrial signal that couldnt be fixed via software - the rest of the issues were addressed rather quickly id imagine - i still have high hopes for this unit but to be honest i will more than likely give it a wide birth due to my previous experiences -

As for a saorview certified version, will it be a firmware update for the sthd537 or a "sthd547"?

I will say this, 150euro for the sthd537 is a VERY good price(ASSUMING IT IS WORKING!), Thats a good price for a regular FTA Combi box let alone an MHEG5 DIGITAL AERTEL Compatible box - And i suppose if everything is fixed then there is no reason it cant be certified!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lonewolf2010

Is there any way to get epg on sat through the Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eddieshanahan

Have the Triax problems been sorted with a Firmware Upgrade ......if not what alternate Combo boxes are good alternatives?

Someone suggested MVision 300, or Ferguson Ariva HD

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 spudman

I bought the Triax ST HD537 yesterday from Power City. The box says firmware 3.8.1 however when I plugged it in, the software states it is 3.4.1
    I can't get any DTT channels . Just get a No Signal message. The satellite reception is fine. My regular terrestrial reception is good.
    Anyone else out there have the same problem with the supposedly new release/throw any light on the problem
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Back to Power City with it. And dont leave the shop without plugging the replacement box in and checking the software version there and then. There are so many uncertanties about that box, that any purchaser should thoroughly satisfy themselves that it is actually what it says on the carton.

spudman wrote: »
    I bought the Triax ST HD537 yesterday from Power City. The box says firmware 3.8.1 however when I plugged it in, the software states it is 3.4.1
    I can't get any DTT channels . Just get a No Signal message. The satellite reception is fine. My regular terrestrial reception is good.
    Anyone else out there have the same problem with the supposedly new release/throw any light on the problem
    Thanks

That really is shocking - What the hell are the playing at with this box - supposedly a hardware change has fixed the issues and here they are selling the old version? Come on Triax, get with the program! (and i dont mean RTE1+1, as theres no fair city :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Could it be old stock, even still it's no excuse on the vendor's behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

the more i see this thread about the triax combo,they more i dont trust triax,shocking,there no excuse for coning people,putting the old triax older setup in a box claming on the carton its the new version,someone should complain too euro comsumers,that explains the drop in price

PC told me someone came in and installed the new software and that they had the "old box" working perfectly and on display. Whats the point of selling a duff box?? Is it hard to get money back from PC?

gb--

PC told me someone came in and installed the new software and that they had the "old box" working perfectly and on display. Whats the point of selling a duff box?? Is it hard to get money back from PC?

gb--

Well only a few posts back "bbeeforsalmon" stated that the old box COULDN'T be fixed via a software patch, and only the new hardware revision would ever function normally - IM GENUINELY BEGINNING TO WONDER WHETHER THERE IS A "NEW" TRIAX STHD537 AT ALL - :mad::mad::mad:

Its typical isnt it - If Triax had any sort of cop on they could sort all of this madness out by clarifying this mess on their website - Right now my money is on the following - THERE IS ONLY ONE STHD537 AND IT DOESNT WORK - UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE THATS MY OPINION -

To anyone buying the STHD537 - "Caveat emptor" & "Audentes Fortuna Iuvat" - All i will add to that is HOLD ONTO YOUR RECEIPT!

COME ON TRIAX CLARIFY THIS MESS!!!

A hint, if you buy online from PC you can get a quick discount under the DSG guarantee but really why bother, PC are aiming at the walk in customer!!!

gb-

• Advertisement

gb--

if they installed new software,why did it show older version,any ways,though it was a hardware issue more than a software issue,why put false detaIL on box.to con people into buying the boxes.clever

if they installed new software,why did it show older version,any ways,though it was a hardware issue more than a software issue,why put false detaIL on box.to con people into buying the boxes.clever

Couldnt agree more - I was genuinely hopeful for the STHD537 "MARK II" but at this stage its looking like the same terribly unreliable unit i had 5 months ago...Not to mention its looking more like there is no "MARK II". Right now i wouldnt buy a COAX Plug from Triax, and i wouldnt touch that STHD537 with someone else's Satellite lead!

Seriously TRIAX< POWERCITY and whoever else is involved - we need clarification! Whats going on!

pity golden media combo doesnt have mheg5 on it,be a good buy then,was looking at triax before,wouldnt trust them after this,doesnt matter what they bring out now,the seriously messed up with all this

has anyone here that has this box ,have issues,where it pick up and works with irish ddt channels and freesat channels,just wondering

has anyone here that has this box ,have issues,where it pick up and works with irish ddt channels and freesat channels,just wondering

Aside from my experience, two other guys who had it had similar issues to myself (old version of course).. could you be more specific as to what you want to know keltick night

a friend is looking at this combo and has seen this thread,hes looking for a combo box that does the irish ddt channels and sat channels with mheg5,i dont know of any outside of this combo but i suggested that this box give him grey hair with all the issues,

a friend is looking at this combo and has seen this thread,hes looking for a combo box that does the irish ddt channels and sat channels with mheg5,i dont know of any outside of this combo but i suggested that this box give him grey hair with all the issues,

As far as im aware this is the only MHEG5 combi box available - its an absolute travesty that its the only one, and i cant believe some other company hasnt produced one -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Joe7

liamtech wrote: »
    its an absolute travesty that its the only one...

Absolute travesty?! You've obviously led a very sheltered life.

Joe7 wrote: »
    Absolute travesty?! You've obviously led a very sheltered life.

What i mean is with customers in Ireland Screaming out for a product with these specs how come no one has released one - aside from Triax that is..

It really would do well over here - take a look at boards once a day and you will see someone asking is there an MHEG5 Combi box available, and where can they get one!

As regards my sheltered life, well living in a monastery isnt for everyone i suppose! lol:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Honestly lads MHEG5 WILL NOT stop you watching the stations. MHEG5 will primarily be for aertel like text driven by adverts! People really are buying into the middleware too much.

Look at the thread on the new Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo - €99 from satelitte.ie - discount for boardsies - the very same without the MHEG5. Thats how much a HD Sat/DTT combo SHOULD cost. Will be perfect in the current economic climate.

Advertisement