Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SERIOUS ISSUES with Triax ST-HD537 Combi - Buyer Beware

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

STB wrote: »
    Honestly lads MHEG5 WILL NOT stop you watching the stations. MHEG5 will primarily be for aertel like text driven by adverts! People really are buying into the middleware too much.

Look at the thread on the new Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo - €99 from satelitte.ie - discount for boardsies - the very same without the MHEG5. Thats how much a HD Sat/DTT combo SHOULD cost. Will be perfect in the current economic climate.

I know you can still watch the channels but i like the interactivity - BBC Red button is savage, and once Digital Aertel starts to improve i would say it will be equally excellent - if the STHD537 had worked, it provided both these interactive services in one box - it was the one thing i liked about the STHD537 - That said i will probably get a Ferguson 120 combo as i cant resist the price!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

liamtech wrote: »
    if the STHD537 had worked, it provided both these interactive services in one box - it was the one thing i liked about the STHD537 - That said i will probably get a Ferguson 120 combo as i cant resist the price!

if......

It might be also what killed it in the first place.

if......

It might be also what killed it in the first place.

I don't know for sure but i reckon the MHEG5 had nothing to do with it - The interactive features worked perfect on all stations on the STHD537 including the Ocean Finance station, and all the BBC stations - the interactive streams didnt work obviously, and they were not even added when you did a scan - BUt the BBC digital Teletext worked and that would have been good enough for me -IF i could have added the BBC Streams manually

The main problem that they seem unable to address is the DTT signal vanishing from it and needing the box to be turned off and on to get it back - That is what killed the box - as far as i can see they solved the manually tuning of the stations and gave the ability to change the order of the stations too - but from what i can see from recent posts on this thread the DTT signal vanishing is still an issue for many users- The general feel of the menu system is also poor and not at all as customizable as most FTA boxes i have seen available - one generic station menu - most FTA units allow you to create unique sets of stations - i always prefer to have separate sections for Entertainment, Movies, News, Music, and HD Stations etc. That is IMPOSSIBLE with this box

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Because of the small size of the Irish market and the high cost of certification.

What i mean is with customers in Ireland Screaming out for a product with these specs how come no one has released one - aside from Triax that is..

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

This box is a truly appalling piece of kit. It should never have been released onto the Irish market. Cumbersome set up, inflexiblity when trying to customise the channel order, mixing the radio channels into the middle of the tv channels, limited favourites capacity when you try to get around this, inability to do a mutiple selected channel delete or order, displaying 'no services' when a manual DTT scan is performed. It might not have MHEG5 but an MVision Combo HD300 is way more flexible when it comes to channel installation, editing and customisation. Also, after a manual DTT scan you need to put box into standby then fire up again to get any DTT channels. This Triax combo is only fit for the skip and I would never install one for anyone, let alone hang on to it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

so this box is a bad buy as i have been looking at this in power city for 145 and another for 199, GOLDEN MEDIA HD SATELLITE & DTT COMBI BOX it is called is there anyway to get a snapshot as to what way the stations are listed on the triax

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

jamescc wrote: »
    ...is there anyway to get a snapshot as to what way the stations are listed on the triax

You might find what you're looking for in one of Dave's (tvtrade.ie) videos of the Triax ST-HD 537 here:

http://www.tvtrade.ie/triax-st-hd-537-satellite-combo-box.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

You might find what you're looking for in one of Dave's (tvtrade.ie) videos of the Triax ST-HD 537 here:

http://www.tvtrade.ie/triax-st-hd-537-satellite-combo-box.html
    whats the difference between what tvtrade selling same box and powercity outside it costing more at tvtrade.ie {extra 20 euros}

whats the difference between what tvtrade selling same box and powercity outside it costing more at tvtrade.ie {extra 20 euros}

thanks never copped the difference i think it is the same box just not programmed

Originally Posted by Galway: This box is a truly appalling piece of kit. It should never have been released onto the Irish market. Cumbersome set up, inflexiblity when trying to customise the channel order, mixing the radio channels into the middle of the tv channels, limited favourites capacity when you try to get around this, inability to do a mutiple selected channel delete or order, displaying 'no services' when a manual DTT scan is performed. It might not have MHEG5 but an MVision Combo HD300 is way more flexible when it comes to channel installation, editing and customisation. Also, after a manual DTT scan you need to put box into standby then fire up again to get any DTT channels. This Triax combo is only fit for the skip and I would never install one for anyone, let alone hang on to it myself.

Couldn't agree more Galway!

To be honest i worry about anyone putting there faith in this box - It obviously still has severe short comings - and OBVIOUSLY a software update isnt the solution - VERY disappointing - as regards the price its a hell of a lot cheaper than it was in february - but if its not working then it might as well be 50 euro for all the use it has!

The thing is i was recently in a friends house, looking at the ST-HD527 in use - No MHEG5 obviously but aside from that its a JOY to use -

-Fully Customizable Channel listings
    -Manual Channel editing
    -Different Favorites categories
    -Time shifting
    -Easy to use albeit basic UI

HOW did triax go from a competent, fully functional NON MHEG5 FTA combi unit, to a horrific UI, No customization, and barely functional yet FULLY MHEG COMPLIANT DTT/DVB-S box!

• Advertisement

To be honest i worry about anyone putting there faith in this box - It obviously still has severe short comings - and OBVIOUSLY a software update isnt the solution - VERY disappointing - as regards the price its a hell of a lot cheaper than it was in february - but if its not working then it might as well be 50 euro for all the use it has!

The thing is i was recently in a friends house, looking at the ST-HD527 in use - No MHEG5 obviously but aside from that its a JOY to use -

-Fully Customizable Channel listings
    -Manual Channel editing
    -Different Favorites categories
    -Time shifting
    -Easy to use albeit basic UI

HOW did triax go from a competent, fully functional FTA combi unit, to a horrific UI, No customization, and barely functional yet FULLY MHEG COMPLIANT DTT/DVB-S box!

Explain ? The new one vs the original one. What differences ? box appearence, UI, MHEG5 etc.

Explain ? The new one vs the original one. What differences ? box appearence, UI, MHEG5 etc.

Il get my friend to post some pics - I must point out the st-HD527 doesnt seem to be available anymore - its been replaced by the 537:eek:

-The installation of the 527 is EXTREMELY BASIC looking - It just scans both DTT and DVB-S2 and adds the channels as it gets them -

-The menus are Extremely plain - like a regular FTA box - BUT unlike its cousin the 537, its fully customizable - you can put the channels in any order you wish!

-Manual editing of stations and specific scanning of transponders and specific DTT Channels is a doddle! Literally you select the frequency you wish a hey presto it will scan only that - And unlike the STHD537 it will add LITERALLY any station like transmission on said transponder/frequency - it picks up the Freesat EPG but obviously doesn't display anything - its just picked up as a "Channel"!

- Recording works perfectly and scheduling works perfectly too - the DTT 7 DAY EPG is easy schedule - setting timers on Satellite channels is obviously difficult but if you use radio times for the schedule it works fine!

-Foremost for me is the fact that the DTT signal has not once "vanished" as it did on the STHD537!

Its an inferior specification, with a FAR superior functionality! - If it was 150Euro i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it! Whats more as some probably know the ST-HD527 is shipped in a box that states it is MHEG5 compatible - there are more than a few users i dare say, that suspect this box could be fully saorview compliant if Triax released firmware - Of course their busy selling the STHD537 - good luck to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

talked too staff teckie at eletroplus and was told it was fixed ,said the problem with ddt channels was fixed and other problems too,so im confused,maybe im wrong but the triax combo that powercity sells ,is it new one or old ones with new software,maybe getting from tvtrade is better bet as you know cant be old ones,just my though ,but still a big chance too take just for mheg5

talked too staff teckie at eletroplus and was told it was fixed ,said the problem with ddt channels was fixed and other problems too,so im confused,maybe im wrong but the triax combo that powercity sells ,is it new one or old ones with new software,maybe getting from tvtrade is better bet as you know cant be old ones,just my though ,but still a big chance too take just for mheg5

Genuinely KELTICKNIGHTT, until proven otherwise i would seriously doubt there is an "old" & "New" version of this unit - thats my honest opinion - can anyone explain the differences of these units - from what Galway the new seems just as bad as the old!

@liamtech

When you said original vs new I presumed you were talking about the 537. I am aware of the 527 (MHEG5 wasnt enabled)

I was asking about the diiference between the new and old 537!

@liamtech

When you said original vs new I presumed you were talking about the 537. I am aware of the 527 (MHEG5 wasnt enabled)

I was asking about the diiference between the new and old 537!

Sorry STB! didn't realize!

i went tonight and got the triax 537.from power-city for 150 euro. it took me about two hours to set it up .
    rtejr does not show up , probably due to it being off air, will try tomorrow. but so far it is working well. even set up my pen-usb stick and am now able to record.
    i do know that allot of people were having problems with it , so here is tipping wood , that i do not

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

i went tonight and got the triax 537...

Quite a few people on here will be interested in your review of this 'newer version' (?) STB combi. Appreciating it will take time please ascertain if bugs highlighted by liamtech have been fixed. Also from Menu>Settings include:
    H/W Version __________________
    S/W Version __________________
    F/W Version __________________
    Build Date ____________________
    Model Number _________________ (Presumably TR ST-HD 537)

Thanks in advance & Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

i went tonight and got the triax 537.from power-city for 150 euro. it took me about two hours to set it up .
    rtejr does not show up , probably due to it being off air, will try tomorrow. but so far it is working well. even set up my pen-usb stick and am now able to record.
    i do know that allot of people were having problems with it , so here is tipping wood , that i do not

Poor you, you've bought a pig in a poke. TWO hours to set up.. that says it all, a rubbish inflexible, poorly designed STB combo.

Quite a few people on here will be interested in your review of this 'newer version' (?) STB combi. Appreciating it will take time please ascertain if bugs highlighted by liamtech have been fixed. Also from Menu>Settings include:
    H/W Version __________________
    S/W Version __________________
    F/W Version __________________
    Build Date ____________________
    Model Number _________________ (Presumably TR ST-HD 537)

Thanks in advance & Good Luck!

right i hope i can get this right i will try to attach a file some pages of the manual:H/W Version:v1.1
    S/W Version:v3.8.1
    F/W Version:cant see it so not sure
    Build Date:again can't see it
    Model Number:triax st-hd 537

it seems to be working fine , and it took my two hours, just removing unwanted stations that i did not want, also it was removing the old boxes as well it works ok so far . the only down side to it is if you are recording something of the aerial you cannot watch another station of the aerial at the same time you have to go to sat. you get the epg for terrestrial as the weeks TV guide but it gives nothing on the sat. now when you press the info button it gives nothing on the terrestrial. you get the information on the sat.

it would have been nice if it was a universal remote that did the TV too.

apart from that it does what it says on the box and there is digital teletext that is main reason why i got it

i have explained this the best i can any questions

James

i may have attached a file twice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cligster

Been lurking for a few months and thought now I should really say thanks to all here for the info in this thread - really a BIG help and saved quite a bit of hassle by not buying too early (although fingers still crossed!).

Anyway, bought a 537 from PowerCity on 27th May. The box (packaging) has a label on it which says '3.8.1'. Interestingly, there are a couple of small scratches on the side of the unit beside a screw - looks just like somebody manually unscrewed the unit's casing in a bit of a hurry - maybe the 'hardware upgrade' is reprogramming a chip which can't be done through USB? Techies, is this possible/likely?

Here's the details from the menu (no other version numbers, firmware details, etc. present);
    Model No: ST-HD537
    Hardware Ver: V1.1
    Software Ver: V3.8.1

Here's my own opinion on the unit - just points that come to mind in no particular order;
    ->The unit is physically nice and small, with buttons and sockets in all the right places (don't like boxes with USB on front only).
    ->No digital display on the box - would like to know channel number or name without pressing info each time.
    ->When using info button no program details present for DTT, Sat program details OK (fixable software bug? I hope!)
    ->Can tune manually, add transponders manually, etc. with no serious problems.
    ->Can renumber any stations after tuning, when you get used to it it's just as easy as the usual 'swap and delete' way of doing things that seems more common. However, the unit doesn't like you mixing DTT and SAT channels. I've found, if you leave the DTT channels with their original numbering (1-8 for TV, 200+ for Radio) then SAT channels can be renumbered without trouble, otherwise the channels will be reset to the original tuning order when you restart the unit. (Bear in mind. I'm 'old-school'! Rather than using favorites I prefer to renumber the channels I want in one list and delete the rubbish. I haven't tried using the favorites lists.)
    ->TV and Radio stations are in the one list.
    ->No problem with 'no DTT signal' etc. so far. (Although, the only other combo box in the house with HD, a Ferguson Arriva HD Combo, does drop the DTT signal mysteriously, but VERY seldom - maybe only once a week in daily use.)
    ->Recording using the EPG seems OK. However, it has failed once - the second day of use. I'm only STARTING to trust it now!!!
    ->Can't record old-style with a timer for a specified period. This is something that I, personally, really don't like, but wouldn't bother many others, I think.
    ->Can't save program database to/from USB without this secret-codes-in-the-menu nonsense. And when you do save to USB there are numerous files created - backups work best when they're as simple as possible.
    ->Zero product info/support on the Triax website is a little worrying.
    ->Digital Aertel and BBC Red Button services work fine.

I'm no tech expert, but we've had satellite TV in the house since the very first Astra analog service in the 80s - 14 channels and no SkyTV if I remember right :) . In the last few years we've had the best use out of some M-Vision combo receivers (not HD), but even those can be a bit flaky at times. Overall, I'm happy to keep and use the Triax unit. I would love to buy and/or recommend another couple but just don't trust it or Triax enough at this stage.

i have noticed since my last reply that when recording with the sat end of it that you can record one station while watching another sat station at the same time . can't be said for terrestrial stations

Thanks cligster and welcome to boards - You'll find many experienced users on this forum (many more experienced than myself i might add!)

So down to business! The Triax STHD537 was to be the answer to the conundrum of a FULLY Saorview compatible Combo Box - And it still might be just that:

The main issues as i saw them:
    • Dropping DTT Signal - This literally occurred 10 times a day and could only be fixed by turning the unit off and on again - STATUS: SOLVED (Or so it would appear - i suppose only time will tell)
    • Unable to tune certain Satellite stations including but not limited to STV-HD (10936V listed as 3855) and the BBC Streams (12441V listed as stream 1, stream 2 etc) - These were the ones we missed as STVHD movies are decent and the quality of STV-HD is brilliant - Not to mention different sports shown on the streams - STATUS: TO BE CONFIRMED (Perhaps cligster could confirm this) - i recall someone a while back saying these were added ok - but with all the different "VERSIONS" of the box flying around, who knows
    • Channels Renumbering and customization: This was a nightmare for early adopters as the channels appeared in a remarkably un helpfull sequence - STATUS: SOLVED (Pretty much confirmed at this stage)
    • UNABLE TO RECORD 1 DTT & WATCH ANOTHER ON THE SAME MUX - STATUS: ISSUE STILL PRESENT (It may be simply a design flaw - several other Combi's have the same weakness)
    • UNSTABLE Signal Strength Indicator - This is not a serious issue unless a user intends the use the ST-HD537 to Realign their aerial - For more information see very first post on this thread - STATUS: UNKNOWN
    • INFORMATION UNAVAILABLE ON CERTAIN STATIONS (MAINLY DTT) - STATUS - Issue still present
    • FAILURE OF DTT SCHEDULED RECORDINGS - Massively annoying in the beginning- "The scheduled recording failed etc" - STATUS: TO BE CONFIRMED -cligster has stated that it missed a recording, but could be an isolated incident - Time will tell
    • EXTREMELY BELIGERENT USER INTERFACE - STATUS: Well i have never had a box that took 2 hours to set up (Well actually one comes to mind - the STHD537!!!) - Not very User friendly!

Well at least we're making progress - With the price reduction this could become a popular product but ONLY if the issues are ironed out! I congratulate you folks on talking a chance with the STHD537 - But with several issues still present i think it remains a case of "Caveat emptor"!

Thanks cligster and welcome to boards - You'll find many experienced users on this forum (many more experienced than myself i might add!)

Thanks!

(and I hope I get this quote thing right...)
    • Dropping DTT Signal - This literally occurred 10 times a day and could only be fixed by turning the unit off and on again - STATUS: SOLVED (Or so it would appear - i suppose only time will tell)

Yes - solved.
    • Unable to tune certain Satellite stations including but not limited to STV-HD (10936V listed as 3855) and the BBC Streams (12441V listed as stream 1, stream 2 etc) - These were the ones we missed as STVHD movies are decent and the quality of STV-HD is brilliant - Not to mention different sports shown on the streams - STATUS: TO BE CONFIRMED (Perhaps cligster could confirm this) - i recall someone a while back saying these were added ok - but with all the different "VERSIONS" of the box flying around, who knows

AFAIK no problems. Any HD channels expected (including Channel4HD) and the BBC streams (I take it you mean the ones that actually deliver the BBC Red Button 'programs') are all tuned in automatically at initial setup.
    • Channels Renumbering and customization: This was a nightmare for early adopters as the channels appeared in a remarkably un helpfull sequence - STATUS: SOLVED (Pretty much confirmed at this stage)

Sort of solved - I've never had an STB that wasn't a pain in this regard. I'd say it's not really any worse than other boxes I've used, with the exception of seperating DTT and SAT as I outlined earlier.
    • UNABLE TO RECORD 1 DTT & WATCH ANOTHER ON THE SAME MUX - STATUS: ISSUE STILL PRESENT (It may be simply a design flaw - several other Combi's have the same weakness)

If recording DTT, can watch only SAT programs. Not other DTT even though on same MUX.
    If recording SAT, can watch DTT programs or other SAT programs on same transponder only.
    So SAT as expected, shame about DTT though.
    (EDIT: Obviously, you can also watch the channel you're recording, whilst recording it!)
    • UNSTABLE Signal Strength Indicator - This is not a serious issue unless a user intends the use the ST-HD537 to Realign their aerial - For more information see very first post on this thread - STATUS: UNKNOWN

I can't say it looks wrong! But it's not something I would notice/depend on in any STB, really.
    • INFORMATION UNAVAILABLE ON CERTAIN STATIONS (MAINLY DTT) - STATUS - Issue still present

Yes - Issue still present (SAT program details and EPG's now and next all OK as expected, DTT 7-day EPG OK, but DTT program details not present).
    • FAILURE OF DTT SCHEDULED RECORDINGS - Massively annoying in the beginning- "The scheduled recording failed etc" - STATUS: TO BE CONFIRMED -cligster has stated that it missed a recording, but could be an isolated incident - Time will tell

Yes - Time will tell
    • EXTREMELY BELIGERENT USER INTERFACE - STATUS: Well i have never had a box that took 2 hours to set up (Well actually one comes to mind - the STHD537!!!) - Not very User friendly!

Hmmm! Yes, I think! The UI is not that nice, but I can't think of one I've used for quite a few years that I would call really nice. Think this is the hardest to describe fairly. Maybe those vids on tvtrade.ie will give the best flavour of what to expect.

Well at least we're making progress - With the price reduction this could become a popular product but ONLY if the issues are ironed out! I congratulate you folks on talking a chance with the STHD537 - But with several issues still present i think it remains a case of "Caveat emptor"!

Yes - progress
    Yes - Caveat emptor

BTW for anyone asking, the websites that seem relevant to this are;

www.triax.co.uk
    www.powercity.ie
    www.tvtrade.ie

Are there any others?

what would you make of this.
    on the powercity web site it says that the triax st-hd 537 has a 2 year guarantee.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-THD537&pages=1&prod=THD537&brands=TRIAX&image=

but reading the manual of the box, it says that there is a 12 month manufactures guarantee .

question is. Is there a difference? who is right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's reports coming in that the DTT program information isn't being read successfully by the Ferguson combi box (being sold for less than €100 online) either. A funny coincidence.

ye just been reading that am having the same problem with the triax not sure about the sound being out of wack do

one thing that i do not like about this box . there is no way of knowing that the box is recording ie. a red light on the the front of the box.

• Advertisement

one thing that i do not like about this box . there is no way of knowing that the box is recording ie. a red light on the the front of the box.

Yes, good point jamescc. I forgot that one.

As to whether it's 12 or 24 month warranty, sorry, I don't know. (Although I would not want to be arguing the case with PowerCity/Triax in month 13 if something did go bang!)

Advertisement