Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SERIOUS ISSUES with Triax ST-HD537 Combi - Buyer Beware

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

Hiya Folks:

I have decided to outline the issues of this unit in a series of pictures - thus allowing users to see the problems more clearly:

ISSUE ONE - MISSING STATIONS & BBC STREAMS
    dsc03841hn.jpg

This image shows an attempt to add STV-HD by manually scanning 10936V - As you can see it identifies one Service but does not add it - without further information one can only assume this is STV-HD-

dsc03843n.jpg

This image again shows an attempt to add missing channels in this case the BBC Streams - Notice in this picture they are not even detected - the only instance i have seen where this occurs is in certain freesat boxes

ISSUE TWO - NO CUSTOMIZATION OF THE EPG WHAT SO EVER
    dsc03859o.jpg

This is the bext possible layout achievable with the triax ST-HD537 for Satellite stations - No way exist of changing the EPG channel ordering what so ever - If one move channels into a favourites section the result is as follows:

dsc03844x.jpg

The channels retain their allotted EPG number and again appear entirely out of sequence - no method exist in this software revision of the 537 to change this:

ISSUE THREE - FAILED RECORDING'S VIA SCHEDULING

dsc03846y.jpg

Although you can only take my word for it, i have a fit for purpose UHF aerial, that despite the very very occasional signal glitch (which we all suffer from, damned interference) works perfectly well for my Philips MPEG4 TV (32pfl5604h). IN the event of the aforementioned glitch a slight pixelization occurs for a split second but then vanishes - Therefore the 537's claim that there is no signal to record is totally impossible in my opinion - furthermore the box periodically looses the Terrestrial signal all together for no apparent reason- the signal comes back only after the box is switched off, then on again:

vlcsnap2011020620h44m27.jpg

And yet it should be made clear that the MHEG5 features of this unit work splendidly - there is real potential here if these issues can be sorted - in a decent time frame -

Here are photographs of the interactive sections of the BBC, RTE and even the ocean Finance Red Button station!

dsc03864i.jpg
    dsc03851jq.jpg
    dsc03854t.jpg

Also this snipet from the DTT section of the menu which seems to allow you to choose DVB-T or DVB-T2 - something this box isnt ment to be compatible with - incidently i always have this set to DVB-T to rule out any link to the DTT issues
    dsc03840i.jpg

more to come

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Well it looks like serious software and hardware issues. Signal drop should not stop a recording!

Which is a pity if some of the MHEG5 functionality (text) was working for sat. Does the BBC Sport multiscreen work on 3001 ?

The dvb-t2 option doesnt surprise me. I wonder did they even change the dvb-t2 tuner. The software option could be just that. They are built on the Freeview HD chassis series.

I would love to see the inside of this box but that would void your warranty as they normally have a seal.

Give it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

Give it back and get the HD527! Its 50quid cheaper and it works!

STB wrote: »
    Well it looks like serious software and hardware issues. Signal drop should not stop a recording!

Which is a pity if some of the MHEG5 functionality (text) was working for sat.

The dvb-t2 option doesnt surprise me. I wonder did they even change the dvb-t2 tuner. The software option could be just that. They are built on the Freeview HD chassis series.

I would love to see the inside of this box but that would void your warranty as they normally have a seal.

Give it back.

It may come to that - but im going to inquire tomorrow about whether any fixes are in the pipeline - At least if they are aware of these issues and acknowledge their presence -

I would say the units are not physically faulty but purely software - I would say the DTT tuner drops the signal due to some sort of minor interference that other tuners ignore - im speculating i know, but hey im in glasses half full mode!

As to the absence of certain satellite channels - we know that official freesat boxes (and sat4free) ignore the interactive bbc streams as individual channels - as far as im aware most freesat boxes wont tune these in as separates - and at least some Freesat boxes dont tune STV-HD in either - i know the BUSH/Goodmans units fall into this category -

There is also the fact that its not possible to change the channel numbering sequence on freesat boxes either..

i know you might not agree but i cant help seeing these similarities as an indication of a possible freesat/sat4free firmware upgrade in the future -

Regardless im gonna try and get answers tomorrow and if none are forthcoming, or there are no fixes in sight... i will reluctantly consider a refund.

liamtech wrote: »
    As to the absence of certain satellite channels - we know that official freesat boxes (and sat4free) ignore the interactive bbc streams as individual channels - as far as im aware most freesat boxes wont tune these in as separates - and at least some Freesat boxes dont tune STV-HD in either - i know the BUSH/Goodmans units fall into this category -

There is also the fact that its not possible to change the channel numbering sequence on freesat boxes either..

i know you might not agree but i cant help seeing these similarities as an indication of a possible freesat/sat4free firmware upgrade in the future -

Regardless im gonna try and get answers tomorrow and if none are forthcoming, or there are no fixes in sight... i will reluctantly consider a refund.

These boxes are in no way similar to freesat/sat 4 free boxes. They are meant to behave like normal combo boxes. You scan in terrestrial mode and this saves to the terrestrial tuner mode. In the Dvb-S2 Sat mode when you scan you are pulling the down all the stations broadcasting on 28.2. You then create a favorites folder and choose what you want from sat and terrestrial scans and in the order you want your stations in, creating a DTT and Sat single list effectively.

The additional MHEG5 engine being on board for both sat and dtt will not give full freesat functionality ! I am surprised that the text is even showing.

The EPG data for Freesat on Freesat boxes is compressed via Huffman tables and broadcast on a single transponder 11427 H, S/R 27500000 with specific PIDs. (the epg data on the triax box will pull it from the individual transponders ie now/next).

This Triax box has an MHEG5 engine, but not the freesat software. Two very important and two very different things to remember.

The only boxes that pull down the Freesat EPG over the air are linux boxes using Enigma2 and a specifically written epg grabber.

Getting other Freesat functionality out of this boxes remote will require someone of David Cutts know how.

By the way on the recording problem - I have plenty of these combo boxes and have never seen a recording stop due to signal drop! Signals dont just drop altogether anyhow.

• Advertisement

These boxes are in no way similar to freesat/sat 4 free boxes. They are meant to behave like normal combo boxes. You scan in terrestrial mode and this saves to the terrestrial tuner mode. In the Dvb-S2 Sat mode when you scan you are pulling the down all the stations broadcasting on 28.2. You then create a favorites folder and choose what you want from sat and terrestrial scans and in the order you want your stations in, creating a DTT and Sat single list effectively.

The additional MHEG5 engine being on board for both sat and dtt will not give full freesat functionality ! I am surprised that the text is even showing.

The EPG data for Freesat on Freesat boxes is compressed via Huffman tables and broadcast on a single transponder 11427 H, S/R 27500000 with specific PIDs. (the epg data on the triax box will pull it from the individual transponders ie now/next).

This Triax box has an MHEG5 engine, but not the freesat software. Two very important and two very different things to remember.

The only boxes that pull down the Freesat EPG over the air are linux boxes using Enigma2 and a specifically written epg grabber.

Getting other Freesat functionality out of this boxes remote will require someone of David Cutts know how.

By the way on the recording problem - I have plenty of these combo boxes and have never seen a recording stop due to signal drop! Signals dont just drop altogether anyhow.

I genuinely understand your point of view - all i can say is that as someone who has used the goodmans box, this triax seems fairly similar -

In general it does not behave like a FTA box at all - That being said these are obviously firmware issues, and therefore your probably right - perhaps its wish full thinking -

I suppose the absence of the bbc Streams may be an MHEG5 related issue - perhaps the fact that they obviously are related to the BBC interactive service means the box may be skipping them because it expects them to be available via a red button service

The above speculation may fit for the BBC Streams but i cant understand why it doesnt pick up STV-HD on 10936V - This channel is FTA and should be easily viewable on any FTA HD receiver -

Which combo boxes have you used STB, and which would you recommend to the general non tech savvy population; - I and many on this forum had high hopes for the 537 as a universal solution for UK SAT and irish DTT stations - fully MHEG5, combined menus, etc. Is there anything else out there, or even on the horizon? For the general public it would need to be:

- Simple to use
    - A doddle to set up
    - Offer the same functionality of UPC & Sky

Sadly this box does not tick the boxes!

I genuinely understand your point of view - all i can say is that as someone who has used the goodmans box, this triax seems fairly similar -

In general it does not behave like a FTA box at all - That being said these are obviously firmware issues, and therefore your probably right - perhaps its wish full thinking -

I suppose the absence of the bbc Streams may be an MHEG5 related issue - perhaps the fact that they obviously are related to the BBC interactive service means the box may be skipping them because it expects them to be available via a red button service

The above speculation may fit for the BBC Streams but i cant understand why it doesnt pick up STV-HD on 10936V - This channel is FTA and should be easily viewable on any FTA HD receiver -

Which combo boxes have you used STB, and which would you recommend to the general non tech savvy population; - I and many on this forum had high hopes for the 537 as a universal solution for UK SAT and irish DTT stations - fully MHEG5, combined menus, etc. Is there anything else out there, or even on the horizon? For the general public it would need to be:

- Simple to use
    - A doddle to set up
    - Offer the same functionality of UPC & Sky

Sadly this box does not tick the boxes!

I have used an MVision HD 200 and 300 for both DTT and Sat. I have tested a Ferguson Ariva HD Combo likewise.

I use a Clarketech 5000c and Technomate 6900, both do sat and dtt combined. I am testing another box at the moment, its linux based.

This Triax box would meet the spec of Saorview if they get the software right (if it is with Terracomfor compliance testing it may fail anyhow). I am a little intrigued by the MHEG5 engines use on the UK Satellite stations. It has never come up before simply because there have been no satellite boxes with MHEG5 (there are now via the Openbox S9) so there hasnt been much discussion or people attempting to mod the Freesat functionality.

Example: You are wondering why the BBC interactive Sport Screens arent being tuned in. Are you sure ? (12441 V) I notice that when the MHEG5 function is opened on the BBC station you had above for text that 3001 is the multiscreen call function via text for the multiscreens - does this work ?

What box would I recommend. Well for just now/next functionality on satellite and DTT stations in one list, any of the combo boxes in the sticky above. They are as low now as €150.

The Linux combo boxes offer more options to grab the 7 day epg and wifi functionality etc, but they are about €100 more and are not for your granny's use.

I have used an MVision HD 200 and 300 for both DTT and Sat. I have tested a Ferguson Ariva HD Combo likewise.

I use a Clarketech 5000c and Technomate 6900, both do sat and dtt combined. I am testing another box at the moment, its linux based.

This Triax box would meet the spec of Saorview if they get the software right (if it is with Terracomfor compliance testing it may fail anyhow). I am a little intrigued by the MHEG5 engines use on the UK Satellite stations. It has never come up before simply because there have been no satellite boxes with MHEG5 (there are now via the Openbox S9) so there hasnt been much discussion or people attempting to mod the Freesat functionality.

Example: You are wondering why the BBC interactive Sport Screens arent being tuned in. Are you sure ? (12441 V) I notice that when the MHEG5 function is opened on the BBC station you had above for text that 3001 is the multiscreen call function via text for the multiscreens - does this work ?

What box would I recommend. Well for just now/next functionality on satellite and DTT stations in one list, any of the combo boxes in the sticky above. They are as low now as €150.

The Linux combo boxes offer more options to grab the 7 day epg and wifi functionality etc, but they are about €100 more and are not for your granny's use.

Hi STB,

I should have stated in my original post that the Sports Multi Screen option page 3001 doesnt work at all on the 537 -i have tried this box in two houses on two seperate satellite dishes so no joy there -

Are he openboxes fully MHEG compliant - Im very curious about these now but as you said there not for the regular user

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

While MHEG5 is free to implement, the only current free "engine" to run it isn't very developed yet. That's why DVBviewer for instance licenced "ready made" MHEG5 engine used on most Freeview boxes.

There may be a subtle issue on Freesat more to do with the non-standard EPG that Freesat uses and not really an MHEG5 issue to do with any MHEG5 application referencing streams.

I think it's unlikely that any linux box with the "free" implementation of MHEG5 is yet very compliant or stable yet. When the free Linux engine is stable and complete I'd expect to see it ported to most boxes and most PC applications on Linux and Windows.

Freesat compatibility is a lot more bits & pieces than MHEG5, due to having to be compatible with the same channels carried for Sky and the way Sky's proprietary EPG works, so Freesat was stuck with now & next on the DVB EPG.

Sky & Freesat are sharing the same data for Video, Audio, "now & next DVB data", Subtitles and EBU teletext.

A non-freesat box could as a minimum use one of the NIT on a default transponder so at least you never had to manually add a transponder change. The way list of channels vs transponders works so no manual scan is needed is different for Sky & Freesat and both are proprietary and can only be used by either Licensed Sky box or Licensed Freesat box.

The actual MHEG5 profile needed for Saorview, Freeview and Freesat is the same.

Sky & Freesat use different methods for full EPG, from different data, and both are proprietary and only legitimately available by either Licensed Sky box or Licensed Freesat box. Even if Saorview/Saorsat adds an MHEG5 EPG, this will likely still use the non-proprietary DVB EIT EPG available on any generic box that implements DVB fully. The reason to do so is extra features and possibly PVR control. Both Sky & Freesat have different proprietary methods for Series link. Sky PVR control is entirely proprietary. Freesat PVR scheduling apart from Series link must also be proprietary as the EPG is.

Any non-MHEG5 pvr will use proprietary software and GUI to allow scheduling from DVB EPG or manual entry. Any MHEG5 PVR, in addition to this would allow an MHEG5 EPG application (optionally using now & next to correct schedule and also optionally DVB EIT as underlying data) to schedule recordings. Any non-Freeview, non-Freesat PVR without MHEG5 application can only "guess" at series link.

We don't know which series link method RTE will use. But if it's a plain Saorview certified box the only way is via an MHEG5 application other than firmware updates.

Hi Folks - Ive been on to powercity and Electroplus - Both were very polite and professional - I am expecting a telephone call from Triax today to discuss the issues - I will update as soon as i can - if anyone else has anything they would like me to ask let me know

• Advertisement

I have spoken with a representative of Triax -

I have outlined the various issues with this set top box and have been assured that Triax are working to resolve these issues at the moment - The representative was extremely professional.

He confirmed they are aware of the issues we have mentioned including the channel ordering. He also confirmed that they are aware the unit should technically be able to watch a DTT while recording another DTT - He confirmed there should be software updates in the pipeline -

The video below shows an example of how the 537 seems to loose the Terrestrial signal for no apparent reason -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0jXLMSAqts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0jXLMSAqts

I would really hope that the issues are solved fast so we can enjoy all the features the unit has to offer - has anyone else noticed any other issues they want to bring up - if so perhaps they could post them here - i sent a link of this thread to the engineer to assist in the fix

I imagine Teracom has put a flea in their ear and that Triax Engineering was well aware of this. Just guessing, but I don't imagine they are great speaking terms with who ever decided to "release" the box to distribution!

watty wrote: »
    I imagine Teracom has put a flea in their ear and that Triax Engineering was well aware of this. Just guessing, but I don't imagine they are great speaking terms with who ever decided to "release" the box to distribution!

Id have to agree with you, its gobsmacking that anyone would release this box in its current condition - obvious issues with the epg wouldn't require detailed tests to pinpoint, and should have been clear - as to the other issues, they all should have been detected and dealt with - I didn't go into any details on the subject of questioning there decision to release the unit in my phone call today - i thought it best to keep a positive outlook - Being the only MHEG 5 Combo box being considered for certification, i think its important to get the issues sorted promptly, especially with regards to ease of use - With Power City not even listing the unit on their site, it runs the risk of being sidelined altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

Those HD537 boxes are terrible, a neighbour of mine got one last week and set it up today. I have to agree with Liamtech the menu system, DTT reception and lack of ability to sort the channels to suit your choice is poor show.

Its a pity as it had potential with the MHEG5 option.

Triax pull up your socks!:(

The neighbour is bringing it back, and going for the working HD527!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

billyboy01 wrote: »
    Those HD537 boxes are terrible, a neighbour of mine got one last week and set it up today. I have to agree with Liamtech the menu system, DTT reception and lack of ability to sort the channels to suit your choice is poor show.

Its a pity as it had potential with the MHEG5 option.

Triax pull up your socks!:(

The neighbour is bringing it back, and going for the working HD527!

wonder is there a way too put the mheg5 on the hd527 box

yes. but then again no.

Pay Triax a lot of money to port the software engine they have probably licenced for the 537. But till Triax debug their "port", the 527 would likely be as broken as the 537 is today.

If it was simple every cheap Linux box would have MHEG5 as there is no royalty.

There is a free linux MHEG5 engine, but it doesn't work well yet or people would be using it.
    see this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70421638&postcount=1

The solution is to wait for the 537 to be debugged. It's unlikely the 527 will ever have MHEG5. But sometimes I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

yes. but then again no.

Pay Triax a lot of money to port the software engine they have probably licenced for the 537. But till Triax debug their "port", the 527 would likely be as broken as the 537 is today.

There is a free linux MHEG5 engine, but it doesn't work well yet or people would be using it.
    see this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70421638&postcount=1

The solution is to wait for the 537 to be debugged. It's unlikely the 527 will ever have MHEG5. But sometimes I'm wrong.

can it be used on a linux box ?

yes. but then again no.

if we put aside the MHEG5 issue at the moment, i would state that the 537's basic issues are not fully functional - tonight i tried to record a terrestrial station while watching a satellite station - FAIL:

I also tried to record the leadership debate on TV3 while watching it - the signal dropped on the 537 (as discussed earlier, the signal is not actually dropping, rather its being lost by the 537 - the TV using RF out is not loosing signal). This destroyed 1 hour of perfect recording, as once a failure occurs in any recording the 537 wont play that recording at all.

Realistically people are not willing to wait - they want products that work now, and dont require fixing and i cant blame them - im content to give triax a little while longer, but then il be getting a refund - and certification or no certification, i wont buy another triax product ever again.

As to the 527, i have seen it in action - if your not interested in digital teletext, interactive services, and possible backround video streams then the 527 is fit for purpose - its HD, MPEG 4 and a combi box - whats more having seen the 527 in action i can state that it doesnt have any of the issues associated with the 537 - scheduling works, it tunes all the channels, and it is analogue teletext compatible - however any upgrade for the 527 would surely effect the 537 sales - i would say the current 527 firmware is the final release -

I emailed Triax again tonight to voice my severe frustration surrounding the 537 and essentially stating that a solution must be released ASAP - we will just have to wait and see -

One thing i would say with 100% confidence, and im sure Watty will agree, is the following:

A fully operating 537, with all of the bugs removed, customizable EPG, and the ability to record 1 DTT while watching another would be FAR SUPERIOR to the 527 -

can it be used on a linux box ?

Can what be used?

There are currently only two options.
    An open source implementation of client Engine, free and legal as there is no Royalty for MHEG5. But it doesn't actually work yet.

A commercial engine. There is one widely used by Set-box makers and is likely the one in any PC software that has MHEG5 (very few programs do). I don't know what MS are using in Windows 7. That no way simply plugs into an existing Linux box. You have to re-do the box software to suit the MHEG5 engine and also "port" the engine. Not a Home DIY activity. You also have to sign NDAs, commit to licensing etc. Not feasible for a one-off. You need to be PC application development team (like MS win7 or DVBviewer) or Set-box developer like Triax.

Ask yourself why is the 537 software so different to the 527 even apart from the MHEG5? Because a whole frame work is needed to run the MHEG5 engine and also the GUI has to be consistent and integrate the MHEG5 engine GUI.

Obviously either the box was rushed out or it's more work than Triax thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

im useng epg and multi epg for sat and irish dd,and not connected too web,i downloaded the addons too do it from a support forum of the box im using,i will have option of wifi when i get the wifi dongle from online shop when they have in stock,the box i use like others allow me too play content i recorded too didderent external drive like movies etc outside of the external hard drive i use for PVR

Many thanks for both your recent replys. Can you tell me what type of box you are using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have had this box almost two weeks now. Picked it up in Power City when they got them in. There are some major basic flaws with it alright, although nothing that Triax cannot solve with a proper software&firmware update.

I don't seem to have encountered as many issues as liamtech has had with his. I have yet to be unable to tune in channels, although I need to find time to give it a go on STV HD which I have not tried yet. I was able to tune in the BBCi streams separately. I've deleted them when I was trying to reorganise and have yet to re-add them but its on my 'todo list'

My biggest gripes so far is the complete lack of basic organisation abilities to the EPG. I cannot' reorder my channels or favourites. Even the favourites list is useless as you cannot access it from the onscreen Guide, you need to go into the Main Menu to view the favourites list.

Recording is an sketchy at best; I have had no problem recording a show when I have been watching it or recording a show on sat while watching DTT etc.
    The problem seems to be more for scheduled recordings; I set a show 24hrs in advance on RTE2 and when I returned after work I noticed the Recording icon had disappeared and it never recorded (I did manually set it to record once it started). I don't know if it looses its recording if its put into standby or that it just couldn't be bothered. Without a proper EPG for FTA Sat channels (via the [currently useless] ethernet connection etc.) the ability to record is somewhat pointless beyond DTT channels.

Again these issues are really software based, if Triax can get their **** sorted out then it would be a really good box. I am delighted with the picture quality and audio, it is really just its software that is a let down, particularly for me with basic epg/channel organisation. I am tempted to erase all my sat channels and manually tune each one I want back in to see if I can get them organised better, tedious but it MIGHT just work.

Winters wrote: »
    I have had this box almost two weeks now. Picked it up in Power City when they got them in. There are some major basic flaws with it alright, although nothing that Triax cannot solve with a proper software&firmware update.

I don't seem to have encountered as many issues as liamtech has had with his. I have yet to be unable to tune in channels, although I need to find time to give it a go on STV HD which I have not tried yet. I was able to tune in the BBCi streams separately. I've deleted them when I was trying to reorganise and have yet to re-add them but its on my 'todo list'

My biggest gripes so far is the complete lack of basic organisation abilities to the EPG. I cannot' reorder my channels or favourites. Even the favourites list is useless as you cannot access it from the onscreen Guide, you need to go into the Main Menu to view the favourites list.

Recording is an sketchy at best; I have had no problem recording a show when I have been watching it or recording a show on sat while watching DTT etc.
    The problem seems to be more for scheduled recordings; I set a show 24hrs in advance on RTE2 and when I returned after work I noticed the Recording icon had disappeared and it never recorded (I did manually set it to record once it started). I don't know if it looses its recording if its put into standby or that it just couldn't be bothered. Without a proper EPG for FTA Sat channels (via the [currently useless] ethernet connection etc.) the ability to record is somewhat pointless beyond DTT channels.

Again these issues are really software based, if Triax can get their **** sorted out then it would be a really good box. I am delighted with the picture quality and audio, it is really just its software that is a let down, particularly for me with basic epg/channel organisation. I am tempted to erase all my sat channels and manually tune each one I want back in to see if I can get them organised better, tedious but it MIGHT just work.

I agree with many of your points, but i have to be honest, i dont see how you possibly tuned in the BBC Streams - there are two sets of streams -

-One located on 11954H - these two streams are useless as they are 6 screens in one with multiple audio channels- these do show up on the triax ST-HD537

-The other is located on 12441 V - these are highly useful BBC Sports streams which show alternative sporting events and behind the scenes commentary - THESE ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO TUNE ON THE ST-HD537 - I have tried to tune them in 2 different houses - thats two separate Satellite dishes - whats more i checked using my Ross HD Box in each of the aforementioned house - it tuned them no problem what so ever - STV HD is in the exact same boat -

As to everything else you seem to be having the same issues scheduling as me- id be curious to know have you noticed your DTT signal vanishing yet - Again having tried it in two separate houses, two separate aerials, i can safely say its a major issue.

Incidentally if im wrong and you did tune the BBC Sports streams (12441 V) independently i will genuinely take my hat off to you-

Can you both post which serial numbers and firmware versions?
    Then HW/SW variations can be examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

-The other is located on 12441 V - these are highly useful BBC Sports streams which show alternative sporting events and behind the scenes commentary - THESE ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO TUNE ON THE ST-HD537 - I have tried to tune them in 2 different houses - thats two separate Satellite dishes - whats more i checked using my Ross HD Box in each of the aforementioned house - it tuned them no problem what so ever - STV HD is in the exact same boat -

I did definitely have the 6 split screen tuned in at one point. I will need to tune in the others and also try STV HD.
    As to everything else you seem to be having the same issues scheduling as me- id be curious to know have you noticed your DTT signal vanishing yet - Again having tried it in two separate houses, two separate aerials, i can safely say its a major issue.
    I have not had any issues with the DTT signal vanishing (yet anyway). I have had 3e, rte2 and rtenews on quite a bit and have not noticed any loss or drop in signal.
    Incidentally if im wrong and you did tune the BBC Sports streams (12441 V) independently i will genuinely take my hat off to you-
    I will be giving this a go again. I know I did have several 'Stream 1,2,3 etc.' in my EPG at one stage but cannot remember if they actually worked or not.

@watty,
    I will check the FW,SW etc. versions when I get home later on. I had written them down to keep track of it (I have automatic updates turned on).

I am hoping they fix the software issues and push out an update soon. For the moment the box is providing me with all that I wanted it to do (Irish DTT channels and better signal on UK (BBC/C4's [Don't care much for ITV]) but its EPG/Channel Listing and some naggaling PVR problems are somewhat frustrating.

I would be willing to bet that you will be unable to tune the Independent streams on the 537 - I have to say im seriously resisting the urge to advise getting a refund or exchange the unit for a 527 - At least it works...

I'm using Firmware Version 1.9: Which i received from Electroplus.

Are there any other actually stores in Dublin which actually sell FTA Satellite and DTT equipment - I can only think of maplin and they're currently out of stock -

What alternatives are readily available in the stores.

Winters wrote: »

In relation to recording aspect of this box, can you confirm if it can record one channel while watching another on the DTT side. I thought you required two cable feeds and also two DTT tuners to achieve this. Liamtech, in an earlier post, reffered to a discussion with Triax and they have said, this should be possible.......it would be nice to know this for sure as I am anxiously waiting to buy one of these as soon as they sort ou the problems. While you're at it, can you confirm if this is also possible on the SAT side. I understand that the SKY, box has two cable feeds and two SAT tuners to achieve this.

In relation to recording aspect of this box, can you confirm if it can record one channel while watching another on the DTT side. I thought you required two cable feeds and also two DTT tuners to achieve this. Liamtech, in an earlier post, reffered to a discussion with Triax and they have said, this should be possible.......it would be nice to know this for sure as I am anxiously waiting to buy one of these as soon as they sort out the problems. While you're at it, can you confirm if this is also possible on the SAT side. I understand that the SKY, box has two cable feeds and two SAT tuners to achieve this.

It should be possible to watch one DTT station and record another as long as the channels in question are transmitting on the same multiplex - As currently there is only one multiplex in Ireland, it should be possible with the current channel line up -

It is not possible to watch one satellite station and record another on the triax unless the station is on the same transponder - i have checked this a few times -

It should be possible to watch one DTT station and record another as long as the channels in question are transmitting on the same multiplex - As currently there is only one multiplex in Ireland, it should be possible with the current channel line up -

It is not possible to watch one satellite station and record another on the triax unless the station is on the same transponder - i have checked this a few times -

Many thanks for that. I can now put these issues to bed and wait for the remaining issues with this box to be resolved before buying.

Many thanks for that. I can now put these issues to bed and wait for the remaining issues with this box to be resolved before buying.
    please bare in mind that the triax doesn't allow the dtt function- currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I would be willing to bet that you will be unable to tune the Independent streams on the 537 - I have to say im seriously resisting the urge to advise getting a refund or exchange the unit for a 527 - At least it works...

I'm using Firmware Version 1.9: Which i received from Electroplus.

Are there any other actually stores in Dublin which actually sell FTA Satellite and DTT equipment - I can only think of maplin and they're currently out of stock -

What alternatives are readily available in the stores.

I got the Ferguson ariva HD combo and I find it a good reciever, 7 day EPG on Terrestrial and now and next on satellite.
    Easy to sort out channel list in any order and easy to sort out favourites.
    No problem tuning STV HD and BBCi Streams.
    Remote control also works TV
    You can attach external hard drive for recording.
    Mpeg 4 reciever.
    You can find some good reviews on the above reciever in Foreign satellite Thread.

They can be bought along with other FTA satellite and DTT equipment in either satellite.ie or freesat.ie shop in Farview.

No Mheg 5

Advertisement