Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SERIOUS ISSUES with Triax ST-HD537 Combi - Buyer Beware

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have had this box almost two weeks now. Picked it up in Power City when they got them in. There are some major basic flaws with it alright, although nothing that Triax cannot solve with a proper software&firmware update.

I don't seem to have encountered as many issues as liamtech has had with his. I have yet to be unable to tune in channels, although I need to find time to give it a go on STV HD which I have not tried yet. I was able to tune in the BBCi streams separately. I've deleted them when I was trying to reorganise and have yet to re-add them but its on my 'todo list'

My biggest gripes so far is the complete lack of basic organisation abilities to the EPG. I cannot' reorder my channels or favourites. Even the favourites list is useless as you cannot access it from the onscreen Guide, you need to go into the Main Menu to view the favourites list.

Recording is an sketchy at best; I have had no problem recording a show when I have been watching it or recording a show on sat while watching DTT etc.
    The problem seems to be more for scheduled recordings; I set a show 24hrs in advance on RTE2 and when I returned after work I noticed the Recording icon had disappeared and it never recorded (I did manually set it to record once it started). I don't know if it looses its recording if its put into standby or that it just couldn't be bothered. Without a proper EPG for FTA Sat channels (via the [currently useless] ethernet connection etc.) the ability to record is somewhat pointless beyond DTT channels.

Again these issues are really software based, if Triax can get their **** sorted out then it would be a really good box. I am delighted with the picture quality and audio, it is really just its software that is a let down, particularly for me with basic epg/channel organisation. I am tempted to erase all my sat channels and manually tune each one I want back in to see if I can get them organised better, tedious but it MIGHT just work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭liamtech

Winters wrote: »
    I have had this box almost two weeks now. Picked it up in Power City when they got them in. There are some major basic flaws with it alright, although nothing that Triax cannot solve with a proper software&firmware update.

I don't seem to have encountered as many issues as liamtech has had with his. I have yet to be unable to tune in channels, although I need to find time to give it a go on STV HD which I have not tried yet. I was able to tune in the BBCi streams separately. I've deleted them when I was trying to reorganise and have yet to re-add them but its on my 'todo list'

My biggest gripes so far is the complete lack of basic organisation abilities to the EPG. I cannot' reorder my channels or favourites. Even the favourites list is useless as you cannot access it from the onscreen Guide, you need to go into the Main Menu to view the favourites list.

Recording is an sketchy at best; I have had no problem recording a show when I have been watching it or recording a show on sat while watching DTT etc.
    The problem seems to be more for scheduled recordings; I set a show 24hrs in advance on RTE2 and when I returned after work I noticed the Recording icon had disappeared and it never recorded (I did manually set it to record once it started). I don't know if it looses its recording if its put into standby or that it just couldn't be bothered. Without a proper EPG for FTA Sat channels (via the [currently useless] ethernet connection etc.) the ability to record is somewhat pointless beyond DTT channels.

Again these issues are really software based, if Triax can get their **** sorted out then it would be a really good box. I am delighted with the picture quality and audio, it is really just its software that is a let down, particularly for me with basic epg/channel organisation. I am tempted to erase all my sat channels and manually tune each one I want back in to see if I can get them organised better, tedious but it MIGHT just work.

I agree with many of your points, but i have to be honest, i dont see how you possibly tuned in the BBC Streams - there are two sets of streams -

-One located on 11954H - these two streams are useless as they are 6 screens in one with multiple audio channels- these do show up on the triax ST-HD537

-The other is located on 12441 V - these are highly useful BBC Sports streams which show alternative sporting events and behind the scenes commentary - THESE ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO TUNE ON THE ST-HD537 - I have tried to tune them in 2 different houses - thats two separate Satellite dishes - whats more i checked using my Ross HD Box in each of the aforementioned house - it tuned them no problem what so ever - STV HD is in the exact same boat -

As to everything else you seem to be having the same issues scheduling as me- id be curious to know have you noticed your DTT signal vanishing yet - Again having tried it in two separate houses, two separate aerials, i can safely say its a major issue.

Incidentally if im wrong and you did tune the BBC Sports streams (12441 V) independently i will genuinely take my hat off to you-

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Can you both post which serial numbers and firmware versions?
    Then HW/SW variations can be examined.

liamtech wrote: »
    -The other is located on 12441 V - these are highly useful BBC Sports streams which show alternative sporting events and behind the scenes commentary - THESE ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO TUNE ON THE ST-HD537 - I have tried to tune them in 2 different houses - thats two separate Satellite dishes - whats more i checked using my Ross HD Box in each of the aforementioned house - it tuned them no problem what so ever - STV HD is in the exact same boat -

I did definitely have the 6 split screen tuned in at one point. I will need to tune in the others and also try STV HD.
    As to everything else you seem to be having the same issues scheduling as me- id be curious to know have you noticed your DTT signal vanishing yet - Again having tried it in two separate houses, two separate aerials, i can safely say its a major issue.
    I have not had any issues with the DTT signal vanishing (yet anyway). I have had 3e, rte2 and rtenews on quite a bit and have not noticed any loss or drop in signal.
    Incidentally if im wrong and you did tune the BBC Sports streams (12441 V) independently i will genuinely take my hat off to you-
    I will be giving this a go again. I know I did have several 'Stream 1,2,3 etc.' in my EPG at one stage but cannot remember if they actually worked or not.

@watty,
    I will check the FW,SW etc. versions when I get home later on. I had written them down to keep track of it (I have automatic updates turned on).

I am hoping they fix the software issues and push out an update soon. For the moment the box is providing me with all that I wanted it to do (Irish DTT channels and better signal on UK (BBC/C4's [Don't care much for ITV]) but its EPG/Channel Listing and some naggaling PVR problems are somewhat frustrating.

I would be willing to bet that you will be unable to tune the Independent streams on the 537 - I have to say im seriously resisting the urge to advise getting a refund or exchange the unit for a 527 - At least it works...

I'm using Firmware Version 1.9: Which i received from Electroplus.

Are there any other actually stores in Dublin which actually sell FTA Satellite and DTT equipment - I can only think of maplin and they're currently out of stock -

What alternatives are readily available in the stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

In relation to recording aspect of this box, can you confirm if it can record one channel while watching another on the DTT side. I thought you required two cable feeds and also two DTT tuners to achieve this. Liamtech, in an earlier post, reffered to a discussion with Triax and they have said, this should be possible.......it would be nice to know this for sure as I am anxiously waiting to buy one of these as soon as they sort ou the problems. While you're at it, can you confirm if this is also possible on the SAT side. I understand that the SKY, box has two cable feeds and two SAT tuners to achieve this.

In relation to recording aspect of this box, can you confirm if it can record one channel while watching another on the DTT side. I thought you required two cable feeds and also two DTT tuners to achieve this. Liamtech, in an earlier post, reffered to a discussion with Triax and they have said, this should be possible.......it would be nice to know this for sure as I am anxiously waiting to buy one of these as soon as they sort out the problems. While you're at it, can you confirm if this is also possible on the SAT side. I understand that the SKY, box has two cable feeds and two SAT tuners to achieve this.

It should be possible to watch one DTT station and record another as long as the channels in question are transmitting on the same multiplex - As currently there is only one multiplex in Ireland, it should be possible with the current channel line up -

It is not possible to watch one satellite station and record another on the triax unless the station is on the same transponder - i have checked this a few times -

It should be possible to watch one DTT station and record another as long as the channels in question are transmitting on the same multiplex - As currently there is only one multiplex in Ireland, it should be possible with the current channel line up -

It is not possible to watch one satellite station and record another on the triax unless the station is on the same transponder - i have checked this a few times -

Many thanks for that. I can now put these issues to bed and wait for the remaining issues with this box to be resolved before buying.

Many thanks for that. I can now put these issues to bed and wait for the remaining issues with this box to be resolved before buying.
    please bare in mind that the triax doesn't allow the dtt function- currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I would be willing to bet that you will be unable to tune the Independent streams on the 537 - I have to say im seriously resisting the urge to advise getting a refund or exchange the unit for a 527 - At least it works...

I'm using Firmware Version 1.9: Which i received from Electroplus.

Are there any other actually stores in Dublin which actually sell FTA Satellite and DTT equipment - I can only think of maplin and they're currently out of stock -

What alternatives are readily available in the stores.

I got the Ferguson ariva HD combo and I find it a good reciever, 7 day EPG on Terrestrial and now and next on satellite.
    Easy to sort out channel list in any order and easy to sort out favourites.
    No problem tuning STV HD and BBCi Streams.
    Remote control also works TV
    You can attach external hard drive for recording.
    Mpeg 4 reciever.
    You can find some good reviews on the above reciever in Foreign satellite Thread.

They can be bought along with other FTA satellite and DTT equipment in either satellite.ie or freesat.ie shop in Farview.

No Mheg 5

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I got the Ferguson ariva HD combo and I find it a good reciever, 7 day EPG on Terrestrial and now and next on satellite.
    Easy to sort out channel list in any order and easy to sort out favourites.
    No problem tuning STV HD and BBCi Streams.
    Remote control also works TV
    You can attach external hard drive for recording.
    Mpeg 4 reciever.
    You can find some good reviews on the above reciever in Foreign satellite Thread.

They can be bought along with other FTA satellite and DTT equipment in either satellite.ie or freesat.ie shop in Farview.

Better still, you could try http://www.tvtrade.ie/ They have everything from a needle to an anchor in satalite equipment. And even better still, they tell you how to install everything they sell with an endless selection of videos.

Thanks applewoodgo,
    They seem to be very good, however liamtech asked about stores in Dublin (not saying Dublin is any better as I live in Co. Wexford)

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have had dealings with both satellite.ie and Freesat.ie and I have found both bussinness to be very honest and extremely helpful with good after sales help.

During one of the supposed signal drops on the 537 im using i accidentally pressed the Teletext button -

dsc03867new.jpg

To my amazement the box seems able to receive DTT teletext despite having no DTT signal - amazing :confused:

Obviously this just reinforces the fact its a software glitch - but i have to admit its becoming a real pain having anything to do with this box - iv disconnected it for now and im using a basic no whistles ross box (retrieved) for Freesat channels and the built in tuner for DTT.

IN all honesty im gonna give Triax another week at most - after that its refund time and possible ordering an Mvision or something - shame really but triax only have themselves to blame - i for one wont buy a coax plug off them ever again...

Definitely looking at the Edison and the Ferguson - at this stage we dont care about MHEG5

For my ST-HD 537 I have the following:
    Hardware Version: 1.1,
    Software Version: 1.6.0

I still haven't been able to reproduce any of the signal dropping that others have experienced, mine seem's stable. With RTE2 at the moment I am getting 75% signal strength and about 70% quality apparently..

Just tried STV-HD. It is saying 1 service found but nothing added, can't seem to get into that one at all. I can only pick up two of the BBCi streams with are the 6 mix ones (T7 STRM-0/1) , it seems to, like STV-HD find them but not add them. Maybe a software issue of some description? I had thought I had them before but I must have been mistaken when I saw the 6 mix screens.

I will be sending off Triax an email (the one in the manual does not work, well I sent one before asking about channel editing and got a bounce back) asking about these issues. The BBC Streams I wanted, particularly for the extended F1 coverage later on.

• Advertisement

For my ST-HD 537 I have the following:
    Hardware Version: 1.1,
    Software Version: 1.6.0

I still haven't been able to reproduce any of the signal dropping that others have experienced, mine seem's stable. With RTE2 at the moment I am getting 75% signal strength and about 70% quality apparently..

Just tried STV-HD. It is saying 1 service found but nothing added, can't seem to get into that one at all. I can only pick up two of the BBCi streams with are the 6 mix ones (T7 STRM-0/1) , it seems to, like STV-HD find them but not add them. Maybe a software issue of some description? I had thought I had them before but I must have been mistaken when I saw the 6 mix screens.

I will be sending off Triax an email (the one in the manual does not work, well I sent one before asking about channel editing and got a bounce back) asking about these issues. The BBC Streams I wanted, particularly for the extended F1 coverage later on.

Personally i would go straight to the juggler and contact Powercity (assuming thats where you bought it) - they will most likely get in touch with a supplier and then put you in touch with triax - i tried to contact triax directly by phone and email to no avail -

I agree with you on the BBC Streams - there great - for F1, tennis, and during the world cup they were a life saver for matches being shown simultaneously -

- curious about your DTT reception issues or lack there of in this case - all i can say is i have perfect signal on both my TV's, both digital - so its definitely the box - i mean the teletext works when this box is supposedly not receiving signal - (see picture)

PI agree with you on the BBC Streams - there great - for F1, tennis, and during the world cup they were a life saver for matches being shown simultaneously

I don't see why it would not be able to pick them up and display them unless there is some sort of software lockout even? But that would seem a bit of an odd thing to do, then again with the lack of channel ordering it would not surprise me with the software on it.
    curious about your DTT reception issues or lack there of in this case - all i can say is i have perfect signal on both my TV's, both digital - so its definitely the box - i mean the teletext works when this box is supposedly not receiving signal - (see picture)
    I will keep an eye on it over the weekend and see what happens, but so far I have yet to see any of the DTT reception issues you have. Does it come back at after it goes blank or do you know if its a period of time that you have to watch it before it drops?

I don't see why it would not be able to pick them up and display them unless there is some sort of software lockout even? But that would seem a bit of an odd thing to do, then again with the lack of channel ordering it would not surprise me with the software on it.

I will keep an eye on it over the weekend and see what happens, but so far I have yet to see any of the DTT reception issues you have. Does it come back at after it goes blank or do you know if its a period of time that you have to watch it before it drops?

it only comes back after a restart - literally every time it goes it must be restarted -

I would restate also that certain freesat boxes also have difficulty displaying both STV-HD and BBC ISTREAMS -

I have to say im in a pickle over this box - truly tempted to jack it in and get my money back tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

it only comes back after a restart - literally every time it goes it must be restarted -

I would restate also that certain freesat boxes also have difficulty displaying both STV-HD and BBC ISTREAMS -

I have to say im in a pickle over this box - truly tempted to jack it in and get my money back tomorrow

would you get the older triax combo sh hd 527

would you get the older triax combo sh hd 527

considering its cheaper- i probably would but to be honest i dont have great faith in triax period - i have seen the 527 in use and its a good unit but, again - Triax!

Also i expect there will be no more software upgrades for the 527, which means we will never be able to watch one DTT while recording another . .

one thing is for certain i have never been as surprised and let down by a single product as the ST-HD537 - shocking actually

• Advertisement

considering its cheaper- i probably would but to be honest i dont have great faith in triax period - i have seen the 527 in use and its a good unit but, again - Triax!

Also i expect there will be no more software upgrades for the 527, which means we will never be able to watch one DTT while recording another . .

one thing is for certain i have never been as surprised and let down by a single product as the ST-HD537 - shocking actually

i have a qbox mini,which im happy with
    was also looking at ferguson combo and edison vip2 combo

the fact that this unit cant get STV-HD and C4-HD indicates a definite link between this box and freesat - the goodmans/grundig/bush boxes cant receive these stations apparently as a result of them having a place on the freesat line-up but not actually added yet - also the menu of this triax box is practically identical to the goodmans freesat+ box -

the fact that this unit cant get STV-HD and C4-HD indicates a definite link between this box and freesat - the goodmans/grundig/bush boxes cant receive these stations apparently as a result of them having a place on the freesat line-up but not actually added yet - also the menu of this triax box is practically identical to the goodmans freesat+ box -

I note from an earlier post that you may have given up on the Triax 537 and also MHEG5. I f this is the case, why not try Dave at http://www.tvtrade.ie/ They have everything that would ever want in Satalite equipment and better still the have video tutorials for installing their equipment. Have a look at the Edision Argus Mini and also the Edision Vip. These are incredible value and both are PVR ready.

Only if you value Sat + DTT in one box over compatibility. They are not real PVRs either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I note from an earlier post that you may have given up on the Triax 537 and also MHEG5. I f this is the case, why not try Dave at http://www.tvtrade.ie/ They have everything that would ever want in Satalite equipment and better still the have video tutorials for installing their equipment. Have a look at the Edision Argus Mini and also the Edision Vip. These are incredible value and both are PVR ready.

Hi Ronan/Dave..... You know what would be better, if one of the guys there openly joined the community.

we dont miss a trick here. :)

There was no charge for the sourcing/consultancy by the way. Great resource this boards.ie ;)

edison are abit over priced for what they are,are better boxs for the money,but then again,you can get edison cheaper over seas too

STB wrote: »
    Hi Ronan/Dave..... You know what would be better, if one of the guys there openly joined the community.

we dont miss a trick here. :)

There was no charge for the sourcing/consultancy by the way. Great
    resource this boards.ie ;)

Hope you are not suggesting I work for tv trade, because I am most certainly not. I am a newbie to boards with a total of 8 posts, and all of them within this thread. I have been looking forward to the launch of Saorview for a long time now and started looking on the Internet for compatible STB's. It was during this search that I came across their site. They seem to offer great value for money with a broad range of satalite products. However, they don't as yet offer a Saorview compatible box. When I read the thread from liamtech regarding the Triax 537, I have been eagerly awaiting, like liamtech, the good news from Triax to announce that the problem is fixed. His patience seems to have run out, and who could blame him for all the trouble he had. He intimated that he might be prepared to give up on MHEG5 and look for another box. Since this forum is about helping each other out, I decided to make him aware of this company, who in my estimation, offer a wide range of products at fair prices, and the icing on the cake for me, and I'm sure many others, is their video tutorials for setting up and installing everything. Finally, if I have offended anybody, then I apologise. On the other-hand, if I have helped anyone, then its my pleasure.

friend show me the hd 527 ,the older model,not had ,specialy as you can get it at powercity for 179 euros,think there be more soarview combo boxes out over next few months,

Hope you are not suggesting I work for tv trade, because I am most certainly not. I am a newbie to boards with a total of 8 posts, and all of them within this thread. I have been looking forward to the launch of Saorview for a long time now and started looking on the Internet for compatible STB's. It was during this search that I came across their site. They seem to offer great value for money with a broad range of satalite products. However, they don't as yet offer a Saorview compatible box. When I read the thread from liamtech regarding the Triax 537, I have been eagerly awaiting, like liamtech, the good news from Triax to announce that the problem is fixed. His patience seems to have run out, and who could blame him for all the trouble he had. He intimated that he might be prepared to give up on MHEG5 and look for another box. Since this forum is about helping each other out, I decided to make him aware of this company, who in my estimation, offer a wide range of products at fair prices, and the icing on the cake for me, and I'm sure many others, is their video tutorials for setting up and installing everything. Finally, if I have offended anybody, then I apologies. On the other-hand, if I have helped anyone, then its my pleasure.

Im still willing to wait for a fix if one is forthcoming or at least in the pipeline - i do appreciate your point of view applewoodgo - i suppose i am just hoping that the functionality increases in this case -

at the moment this unit doesn't have even basic FTA Functionality, but ive been in touch with electroplus and they are genuinely looking into it - again i have to mention how professional these guys have been with regards to the 537 - there genuinely testing and looking into each issue as reported -

However at this stage i can report the following:

- NO STV HD or BBC STREAMS - a general inability to locate various FTA Stations including the now apparently temporary C4HD on eurobird - this box lacks basic FTA capability

- I am still experiencing issues with the signal dropping out - this only occurs on terrestrial - while we all experience the occasional glitch on DTT, i have never seen, or heard tell of a tuner that looses the DTT signal and yet miraculously maintains the DTT Digital Teletext... :confused: - Realistically and theoretically this could be purely an issue related to my own personal set-up - But in all honesty i have two MPEG4 TV's, and i live 9 miles from three Rock - i have checked and an un-amplified pair of rabbits ears will work for me, if they are placed near the back of the house!:eek:

- Scheduling DTT recordings is completely hit and miss

- Genuinely HORRIFIC EPG System
    - this at least is possibly fixable by the guys in electroplus, which i will be confirming with them tomorrow -

SO therefore with only VERY BASIC FTA Functionality this box is still not what it should be - again very disappointing -

I hope to get answers in the next day or two - il hopefully be hearing back from ELectroplus tomorrow and perhaps from triax -

if a solution is not forth coming, and by solution i mean a complete one, then this box could be dead in the water - If someone whos relatively familiar with the technology of FTA sat and DTT cant get it working, what hope has Joe Public -

At that stage i will pull out and get a refund - with genuine reluctance and disappointment:(

If however a solution is available then this may very well be the most popular combo box in ireland withing a few weeks - FULL FTA DTT AND SAT with FULL MHEG5 would be EXTREMELY POPULAR - This could be the box that brings Saorview and FREESAT/FTA SAT to the masses - !

COME ON TRIAX, GET THE FINGER OUT!

deleted duplication

• Advertisement

The C4 HD is encrypted. Not due to be FTA yet.

watty wrote: »
    The C4 HD is encrypted. Not due to be FTA yet.

True Watty - but it was there on friday and saturday - my point is that the 537 doesnt work like a FTA box - it should be possible for me to tine in any unencrypted video channel on 28.2 - it just isnt possible with the 537 - it adds most obviously but by no means all - the STV-HD station should be available - and it isnt using this triax -

And yet the proceeding 527 works fine with this station -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

And yet the proceeding 527 works fine with this station -

Different box altogether. Different chassis, build and probably OEM. Echostar perhaps.

outside the soarview cert and inactive ,theres no difference between 537 and 527,im i right or wrong

outside the soarview cert and inactive ,theres no difference between 537 and 527,im i right or wrong

I gotta say no - the 527 is completely different to the 537:

Firstly the 527 has the ability to function as a true Free To Air set top box - it scans the satellite and shows up every single unencrypted station - streams, channels, open feeds etc - Th 537 doesn't have this ability:

As far as im aware the 527 has no issue with DTT Signal - in the short time i used it, the 527 never lost signal or missed a scheduled recording -

AT the most basic level, the 527 has a completely different feel, menu system and look to the 537 - perhaps someone can post some pictures of he menu for your consideration

so is the feel and features in 537 better outside the several issues you have

so is the feel and features in 537 better outside the several issues you have

Without the issues this box would probably be among the best available - the section for looking at and recording is nifty(assuming what you recorded actually recorded:mad:)

it would be a really good box - of only they had released it at the end of march with all issues ironed out:(

Without the issues this box would probably be among the best available - the section for looking at and recording is nifty(assuming what you recorded actually recorded:mad:)

it would be a really good box - of only they had released it at the end of march with all issues ironed out:(

did you get any insurance that there will be a fix,update or firmware too sort out issues ,as they have put these boxes out in market place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

Any update on issues resolution??

• Advertisement

HI Folks -

To be honest, i threw the towel in on this one - i gave the box about three weeks, troubleshooted the issues as best i could and gave detailed reports of the units issues to all parties. we got a refund which was the main thing -

Very dissapointed in general - despite the very professional handling of the issues by powercity and Electroplus, a solution failed to present itself - When i last heard of from triax they told me they were expecting an update any day, and i hope for all parties sake it happens soon -

I suppose what is most annoying about this whole thing is the fact that the unit would have been the first TRUE SAORVIEW Combo box - i would be fairly nervous of what effect these issues have on peoples decision to go FTA - For a very decent line-up in free TV the only way to go is Saorview in conjunction with FTA satellite or Freesat - this box would/should have provided that combination in one box, on one remote, in one channel list:

A saorview/freesat alternative to sky and UPC has a real chance of gaining popularity, but only if the right technology is available -

I think it was watty that previously stated that if you want both services with full interactivity, you need two boxes - I am inclined to agree with this - for now anyway -

Or a compatible TV and Freesat HD box.

My son bought an LG 42LD450 HDTV (only lacking in Saorview certification and OTA updates in compatibility) €460 and a S/H Sky HD box €50, No Sub on Sky box, but it has UK NI EPG via an old obsolete FTV card (no FTV channels) and BBC Red Button. Makes a reasonable combo. You do need a Rev8 or later Sky Remote for virtually any TV that has Irish Compatibility.

Till Soarsat or some other single box real PVR solution we are using PC recording. USB DTT stick on a Win7 laptop and also WinXP based "Media Centre Style" system running DVBViewer with 2 x PCI DVB-S2 cards and a single Dual Tuner USB stick for DVB-T. Core AVC + NVidia GT210 GPU/GFX HDMI 1080p for MPEG4. (I've given up on DVB dream and ProgDVB for now).

We have Multiswitch with four LNB inputs and 16 out, so plan is to get "Freeview HD" boxes for all the TVs eventually, once the issues of Diseqc and "other channels" etc are clear and best model is clearer.

For more than one room with Freesat the Multiswitch and Saorsat I think will be best route, for PVR or not.

I rang Electroplus on Wednesday last informing them that I aware through boards.ie that there were serious problems with the Triax 537 and that I understood that fixes were imminent. They informed me that he was in possession of a software fix that morning that would resolve these issues and that he would inform boards.ie of this. I have been keeping in touch with this thread since then and so far nothing has been posted. Does anyone know if this has been posted to a different thread.

While I'm on, does anyone know is there a software update that will make the Edision Argus Mini or Argus VIP2 MHEG5 compatible or if indeed its possible to upgrade thes two boxes.

I rang Electroplus on Wednesday last informing them that I aware through boards.ie that there were serious problems with the Triax 537 and that I understood that fixes were imminent. They informed me that he was in possession of a software fix that morning that would resolve these issues and that he would inform boards.ie of this. I have been keeping in touch with this thread since then and so far nothing has been posted. Does anyone know if this has been posted to a different thread.

While I'm on, does anyone know is there a software update that will make the Edision Argus Mini or Argus VIP2 MHEG5 compatible or if indeed its possible to upgrade thes two boxes.

I spoke to Electroplus on or around the 15th of February - i was told that triax were just finalizing a software update to fix all of the addressed issues - that was 12 days ago - i emailed triax directly having spoke to one of their engineers on the telephone previously - they explained that they expected a software update by the end of that week - thursday or friday the 16th/17th -

As i RELUCTANTLY dont have this product anymore i am no longer in touch with either the manufacturer or the supplier - but i stand by my criticism of the unit 100% - in my opinion using software version 1.9, the unit is not fully functional, and has a number of serious issues -

Since getting a refund i have kept my eye in general on this mess, and i have to say i find the whole thing shocking - Triax dont even have a page on their website for this unit: no sign of any information coming from them with regards to the very real issues present in the unit -

With regards to MHEG5, as far as im aware the only boxes currently available are walker and the TRIAX 537 - supposedly there is a Triax Terrestrial box due out that will be certified, but who knows!

im speculating but i doubt previously released boxes such as the Edison or the Ferguson, can be software updated to include MHEG5 - i hope im wrong and if i am, i will be the first to buy one of these boxes!

It's technically possible. But not on the horizon at all.
    1) While MHEG5 is royalty free there is not yet any working open source MHEG5 engine for PCs or Setbox, only ones you buy.
    2) The setbox software has to be integrated (GUI especially) with the MHEG5 engine, a simple plug-in isn't feasible. This in the case of some products is a complete re-write (look at 527 -> 537 migration difficulty!)
    3) Some boxes might not have enough RAM

Don't hold your breath on existing unsupported product. MHEG5 is more likely on new products.

Also you ARE taking a risk with ANY uncertified box. This is still a risk with a certified "Freeview HD" box, but the incompatibilities and risk there is mostly understood. The "generic" boxes are really for some very basic mainland Europe services or hobbyists. They are not recommended at all for Ordinary consumers.

2 Months and still no word - so much for their "We'll have this sorted in no time at all - by the end of the week, or the very earliest next week".

Does anyone have any info, official or otherwise about this product - We had high hopes for the ST-HD537 as an MHEG5 combo with possible Saorview certification - has it vanished all together or what?

Also is there ANY chance of other manufacturers bringing out similar products- we all know that FREESAT/SAORVIEW combi box is unlikely, but even an MHEG5 combi box would do the trick-

Is there any light at the end of the horizon, or are we condemned to a life of two PVR DVB RECEIVERS! (OH I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE, WILL SOME BODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! :D)

• Advertisement

2 Months and still no word - so much for their "We'll have this sorted in no time at all - by the end of the week, or the very earliest next week".

Does anyone have any info, official or otherwise about this product - We had high hopes for the ST-HD537 as an MHEG5 combo with possible Saorview certification - has it vanished all together or what?

Also is there ANY chance of other manufacturers bringing out similar products- we all know that FREESAT/SAORVIEW combi box is unlikely, but even an MHEG5 combi box would do the trick-

Is there any light at the end of the horizon, or are we condemned to a life of two PVR DVB RECEIVERS! (OH I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE, WILL SOME BODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! :D)
    will say this,i dont trust triax after this,specialy bringing out a so called certified box and if soarview certified this,they even worse if they passed it,says lots
    correct me me only didderence between this model and 527 is the certified stamp and mpeg5 and the 527 model works

Having followed this forum and others, I am absolutly stressed out at this stage. The whole thing is a complete and complicated mess and I think we would be all doing ourselves a big favour by switching off for 6 months until its all sorted out or we will all end up in the asylum. You know, Sky+ is getting more attractive to me by the day. For a small outlay of under €6 a week you will get everything and more than Freesat or FTA. You can now remotely record using your PC or Mobile Phone. They are upgrading all the time and you can sit back and relax. If you keep your eye on their adds, they are running promotions from time to time to include their usual installation charge as part of the package. In other words, no initial outlay whatsoever, everything supplied FOC. My son availed of that in February.

will say this,i dont trust triax after this,specialy bringing out a so called certified box and if soarview certified this,they even worse if they passed it,says lots
    correct me me only didderence between this model and 527 is the certified stamp and mpeg5 and the 527 model works

The 527 does work, but it is entirely different to the 537 in both design, superficially and internally - unfortunately i didnt open it up as this would have voided the warranty, which i eventually made use of and got a refund:
    Having followed this forum and others, I am absolutly stressed out at this stage. The whole thing is a complete and complicated mess and I think we would be all doing ourselves a big favour by switching off for 6 months until its all sorted out or we will all end up in the asylum. You know, Sky+ is getting more attractive to me by the day. For a small outlay of under €6 a week you will get everything and more than Freesat or FTA. You can now remotely record using your PC or Mobile Phone. They are upgrading all the time and you can sit back and relax. If you keep your eye on their adds, they are running promotions from time to time to include their usual installation charge as part of the package. In other words, no initial outlay whatsoever, everything supplied FOC. My son availed of that in February.

I will never switch over to sky - for me Freesat/FTA_28.2 has many benefits over sky -
    • Free PVR Functionality - and even more with a Freesat+ Box
    • ITV2,3,4, and BBC3+4, and five, available without pesky Sky manual tuning!
    • HD channels available without manual tuning
    • DID I MENTION ITS FREE!!!!

But i can easily see how people can get very browned off with the current set of circumstances - NO RTE Is the main drawback for most people in this country- Everyone on this forum knows the licensing reasons behind RTE's lack of FTA satellite from 28.2 - but try telling that to someone who is not in the know... NIGHTMARE

Personally i dont hold out much hope for saorsat as its a completely different location in the sky - supposedly two dishes and a DISEQ switch may do the trick -

BUT! If your thinking of using a freesat box, then the RTE stations will be in the NON Freesat Manual tuning section of that setup - and i seriously doubt that an EPG beyond Now and next will be possible - Also a second dish is theoretically not allowed - I havent been keeping an eye on Saorsat as i believe it is more trouble than its worth

The answer is obvious to everyone and that is a combi Saorview & Free-to-Air Satellite box - its a completely ludicrous situation given the obvious market gap that no one has released a Proper Working MHEG5 Combi-box - And its the lack of this product that is halting the flow of Customers over to FTA28.2 and Saorview as a real alternative

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Go to Menu >> Information. Press 1745.

Here you should find a hidden menu to backup channel data to USB, restore from USB, and rearrange channels.

think the whole idea about getting rid of sky is cost ,almost 300 euros per year on basic package and then you add 160 euros for licence on top,the amount of people getting rid of sky or upc is mad according too tv installer friends,times are hard,,when you say its only 6 euros per week,sounds like a ad,yes ,maybe cheap that way but again depends how much you watch tv,for me,not as much so ddt/sat setup is better,no costs outside of getting first time,but as they say
    too each there own

• Advertisement
Advertisement