Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoke Pollution in Urban Areas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

there is government campaigns to reduce speed. campaigns to avoid contact and wear a mask in this covid enviornment.

but there is no government campaign regarding air pollution.

Besides where the pitches train in the GAA, parents drive right up beside the field and have their diesel engines running for the whole hour. if i was to politely ask them to turn off their engine, they would look at me funny.

When im in the shops and the person in front is buying logs for burning, they dont feel any stigma. but people in their house, or neighbours are going to bear the brunt. if i politely asked them not to burn logs, they would look at me funny.

I dont want to get dementia, or have it affect my long term health. But the majority of population dont care. if i really cared, id move to a cleaner country. not sure where that woudl be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Older people do not own A rated home's.

In 2019 80% of homes in Ireland had a BER of C or lower.

No one is going to stop burning cheap solid fuel and invest heavily to replace it with electric heating.

Alot of people don't have the money.

If you force people to move away from solid fuel by increasing it's cost, your just forcing people to live in the cold. And don't tell me they need to put on a jumper. My elderly neighbors always keep on the jumpers and sit in bed when the weather is very cold.

If the government wants people to move away from solid fuel they need to be the one's that do it for them and let people continue on with their current cost of heating.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Regarding using low smoke coal v standard coal. I suppose when you are from rural Ireland, it all depends on the type of coal your local dealer is stocking.

Aye. Theyre a big part of the problem. Its only illegal to sell that coal in the restricted areas, mile outside, sell what you want, so you can drive out of your restricted area, buy your bituminous coal, and drive back in anc burn away.
    As its all imported , they'll soon only be allowed stock low sulphur/smoke fuels

Seems a lot of the smokeless coal ain't that low smoke either
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/smoky-coal-labelled-as-smokeless-to-get-around-ban-says-cpl-1.4109995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Older people do not own A rated home's.

In 2019 80% of homes in Ireland had a BER of C or lower.

No one is going to stop burning cheap solid fuel and invest heavily to replace it with electric heating.

Alot of people don't have the money.

If you force people to move away from solid fuel by increasing it's cost, your just forcing people to live in the cold. And don't tell me they need to put on a jumper. My elderly neighbors always keep on the jumpers and sit in bed when the weather is very cold.

If the government wants people to move away from solid fuel they need to be the one's that do it for them and let people continue on with their current cost of heating.

Solid fuel is not cheap. The SEAI have produced this document to show the cost of heating using the different types of fuel:

https://www.seai.ie/publications/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparison.pdf

If you have a modern well fitted stove and you use kiln dried wood then, yes, you have a fairly cheap source of heat. However, if you're burning coal in an open fire you have a very expensive source of heat. Electric heaters (which you can buy in Argos for €50) would work out cheaper to run. Also, it makes it easier to heat one room at a time if you wanted to do it that way.

An earlier poster made a good point about budgeting - the electricity bill comes in one block at the end of a two month period whereas coal can be bought from week to week. Maybe that could be overcome with level pay billing or with pay as you go electricity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

ercork wrote: »
    Solid fuel is not cheap. The SEAI have produced this document to show the cost of heating using the different types of fuel:

https://www.seai.ie/publications/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparison.pdf

If you have a modern well fitted stove and you use kiln dried wood then, yes, you have a fairly cheap source of heat. However, if you're burning coal in an open fire you have a very expensive source of heat. Electric heaters (which you can buy in Argos for €50) would work out cheaper to run. Also, it makes it easier to heat one room at a time if you wanted to do it that way.

An earlier poster made a good point about budgeting - the electricity bill comes in one block at the end of a two month period whereas coal can be bought from week to week. Maybe that could be overcome with level pay billing or with pay as you go electricity?

Did you read that document and do your calculations. I didn't get out a pen and paper but in the worst option open fire vs electric there's no contest but say you move to open fire with back boiler and your back on top with solid fuel. People who have fire's at home also tend to get firewood from the odd friend who would be cutting down an old tree.

If you don't have a gas line then solid fuel it the best option for the poor.

Before the increase in tax on coal you could buy a 40kg bag of singles coal for €10(2019). It is the worst coal for burning. You give it all the air you can and it will burn and give you heat cheaply. Only people with coal fead stoves and poor people bought it but it was way cheaper then electric. If you don't have money you can burn anything and keep warm if you have no money with electricity you get no heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

If you don't have money you can burn anything and keep warm if you have no money with electricity you get no heat.[/QUOTE]

No truer word has been said on this thread. The Greens think we all live in some cheap fuel utopia, where everyone can afford to heat with electricity. You'll notice that a lot of the stylish modern houses featured in the TV shows about clever designs always have a stove as ultimate back up and always have solar as a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mickster29

Just looking for some solid advice where I might stand legally. Neighbour built a single storey extension (Dublin City). Put in a stove and transports couple of hundred bags of turf to burn in said stove. These people are financially well off and have oil central heating but now use this sparingly. The smoke coming from this flue (burning turf) comes into the rooms upstairs as well as downstairs and is extremely bad. Now I do have asthma and it has gotten worse since they started burning. I have told them that this is a health risk to my family but he doesn't give a toss. I'm living here about 25 years and am seriously thinking of just selling up. He has told me he is not acting illegally and will continue to carry on as before.

see advice above. Get the council and local TDs involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I sort of agree with you. Electric is the way to go in such a scenario. But many old people are afraid of the electric bill. They've no idea how much electricity they are using so they'd have no idea how much their bill will be in two months time. It's easier for them to budget when buying bags of coal. You know exactly how much you are using and how much you are spending.

Regarding using low smoke coal v standard coal. I suppose when you are from rural Ireland, it all depends on the type of coal your local dealer is stocking.

Excellent post.

And yes, that envelope from ESB always elicits heartsink. .

I had an email yesterday from ESb to the effect that no one will be cut off this winter.

Burning low smoke here as, as you rightly say, it depends, and the shop here sells the eggs. Also I am burning very local turf. The stove is a great asset, heating water too.

You do what you need to to keep warm. It is essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Did you read that document and do your calculations. I didn't get out a pen and paper but in the worst option open fire vs electric there's no contest but say you move to open fire with back boiler and your back on top with solid fuel. People who have fire's at home also tend to get firewood from the odd friend who would be cutting down an old tree.

Cost of a unit of heat from coal in an open fire: 19c - 29c
    Cost of a unit of heat from coal in an open fire with back boiler: 12c - 15c
    Cost of a unit of heat from electric heaters: 21c

So you're absolutely spot on that the addition of a back boiler to an open coal fire improves the situation significantly. My post was just meant to point out the electric heating isn't always as expensive as people think and that in some instances it can be a better option - especially when you factor in how easy it is to control and zone. And that's just from an economic point of view, before you factor in the health and air quality issues with coal.

Of course anybody whose only way to avoid freezing to death in the winter is to use coal should continue to burn coal. This goes without saying. But there are plenty of people who choose coal just because they prefer it or are more used to it. I would strongly advise them to look at alternatives. Gas and oil central heating are cheaper and have little or no air quality impact. Of course heat pumps are fantastic but most houses are not of sufficient standard for them unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

A person close to me burns the cheapest coal he can get. I notice that there is always a substantial difference in the smoke on a calm night, even the smell is stronger in my view. Is there a difference in the ordinary coal to the very cheapest coal smoke wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A person close to me burns the cheapest coal he can get. I notice that there is always a substantial difference in the smoke on a calm night, even the smell is stronger in my view. Is there a difference in the ordinary coal to the very cheapest coal smoke wise

Yes. And people in smokeless areas can get dodgy deliveries from beyond the end of the regs (see threads in Bargain Alerts about NI firms doing it for instance) to 'bypass' the rules and get smoky crud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

mickster29 wrote: »
    . Neighbour built a single storey extension (Dublin City). Put in a stove and transports couple of hundred bags of turf to burn in said stove. These people are financially well off and have oil central heating but now use this sparingly. The smoke coming from this flue (burning turf) comes into the rooms upstairs as well as downstairs and is extremely bad..

I live in a small rural village which is located in a small valley. On cold still nights, an inversion often develops so all the smoke from the chimneys sits in the village and does not rise. I've not once ever got a hint of a smell of smoke inside my home during these conditions, despite the fact that I have vents in each room. You must have some weather proofing issues going on if you have smoke entering your home, assuming that your windows are closed of course. If it's very bad, does this mean that you can see the smoke in the rooms?

Whilst I also have asthma, I absolutely love that smell of the burning coal fires on those cold still nights, especially around dusk when half the village are lighting their fires and there's a veritable smog outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Use briquettes myself in an open fire, very clean and good heat out of them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

Use briquettes myself in an open fire, very clean and good heat out of them as well.

They're so so. Colombian or Polish coal are my favourite. Great heat and burn for ages. Lots of smoke until the fire gets going but once it's going I usually don't even need to top up during the evening, once the stove dampeners are closed or almost closed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only good thing about burning turf is the smell. IIRC, it's worst for heat, and in my experience produces the most ash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

One of the biggest issues now is that we should have transitioned a lot more households to natural gas central heating, as it’s both efficient and cheap but also produces no local pollution.

Because of CO2 focus now, gas boilers are frowned upon but at the same time the cost of deep retrofit to use heat pumps is enormous in comparison. So we are probably going to end up creating a fuel poverty trap where you’ll have houses that never had central heating being unable to update to gas and being unable to afford to do the scale of upgrade required to go with heat pumps.

Affordable district heating schemes are perfectly feasible in any urban area. Some of the apartment schemes left people with a bad experience of a very expensive single supplier systems. It’s no more complicated than installing gas mains and could be an alternative, but it comes with downsides if you’ve things like supplier lock in and no market.

I agree though the air quality in many urban areas in Ireland is unacceptably bad. Cork City is often ludicrously bad and that’s supposed to be a smokeless area for a very long time, so obviously Smokey fuel is getting in very easily.

We do need to do something about it as it’s clearly detrimental to human health. There’s a lot of evidence to support that and really it’s not a debatable issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

highdef wrote: »
    They're so so. Colombian or Polish coal are my favourite. Great heat and burn for ages. Lots of smoke until the fire gets going but once it's going I usually don't even need to top up during the evening, once the stove dampeners are closed or almost closed.

Used to get coal myself, great heat out of it all right but was too dirty I thought.

L1011 wrote: »
    Yes. And people in smokeless areas can get dodgy deliveries from beyond the end of the regs (see threads in Bargain Alerts about NI firms doing it for instance) to 'bypass' the rules and get smoky crud.

This coal being bought is local enough. But asking someone else about it said they enquired about it and was told it's great coal for the price but not much heat !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The bad air in Dublin is due to vehicular traffic. The coal ban was a complete success and the capital doesn't suffer from that heavy hanging winter smog from turf and coal burning that smaller towns suffer from.

This is untrue.
    The air quality is 10x worse at night when there are virtually no cars on the roads. It's all outlined in the EPA air quality report.

• Advertisement

No shortage of cars on the road at night, especially on the M50 and the motorways. Plenty of commercial traffic of all sizes, regardless of the pandemic.......I knew a local fuel guy and asked him about his coal supply when the smoky coal ban came into effect in Dublin. He said that the townies swapped with the culchies, bag for bag and normal jogging resumed.

the only good thing about burning turf is the smell. IIRC, it's worst for heat, and in my experience produces the most ash.

I remember when I was younger on a cold windy night you would need a stack beside the range and you would be like a stoker on one of them old steam ships keeping the range fed.

Any time I smell a turf fire now always brings back nice memories not bad ones.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    No shortage of cars on the road at night, especially on the M50 and the motorways. Plenty of commercial traffic of all sizes, regardless of the pandemic.......I knew a local fuel guy and asked him about his coal supply when the smoky coal ban came into effect in Dublin. He said that the townies swapped with the culchies, bag for bag and normal jogging resumed.

And how do you explain the extremely low pollution (relatively) levels during the day then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weather? Inversions more likely to happen at night, for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

salonfire wrote:
    The sale of stoves of stoves should be banned and active night-time enforcement with heavy fines for any household allowing smoke escape their chimney.

So what's your alternative for heating homes?

Weather? Inversions more likely to happen at night, for example?

It's every day, not during freak weather conditions.
    Have a look here at page 22 of the 2019 air quality report and see if it changes your opinion.

http://www.epa.ie/pubs/reports/air/quality/Air%20Quality%20In%20Ireland%202019.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

We have all gas heating installed in my estate.

Some people have converted to solid fuel and you really notice as you walk past these houses, especially when you get that inversion happening in frosty/foggy weather and the smoke hangs in the air.

Plays havoc with my asthma.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So what's your alternative for heating homes?

Hopefully the government would put their money where their mouth is and a full grant to cover conversion costs.

Mimon wrote: »
    We have all gas heating installed in my estate.

Some people have converted to solid fuel and you really notice as you walk past these houses, especially when you get that inversion happening in frosty/foggy weather and the smoke hangs in the air.

Plays havoc with my asthma.

What is the reason for conversion. Is it cost or more heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I mix turf and smokeless coal. And I use the ash as cat litter... In which case turf ash is better than coal ash..

But cost is the real decider. My last turf was a gift ;)

• Advertisement

Coal ash is toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mimon wrote: »
    Hopefully the government would put their money where their mouth is and a full grant to cover conversion costs.

they need to, but will they....

Its not only respiratory health affected, evidence now linking open fires to dementia

https://www.homecare.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1636915/scientists-link-dementia-fires-home

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1201/1181748-air-pollution/
    Air pollution at a 30 year high in Dublin and other towns and cities only a few weeks ago.
    Really sad to see us going backward in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,460 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If the exhaust outlet is as illegal as you say, then he will have to either raise it to an acceptable height or scrap it.

You could've just said stove pipe, Stovepipe :)

You'll notice that a lot of the stylish modern houses featured in the TV shows about clever designs always have a stove as ultimate back up and always have solar as a back up.

All new houses have to have a source of renewable energy, doesn't have to be the main heating source but it has to be there.

Scrap the cap!

air wrote: »
    It's every day, not during freak weather conditions.
    Have a look here at page 22 of the 2019 air quality report and see if it changes your opinion.

http://www.epa.ie/pubs/reports/air/quality/Air%20Quality%20In%20Ireland%202019.pdf
    cheers; part of the issue with tackling this is that stoves and open fires are regularly lumped together (but that report does make the point that open fires are particularly worse for PM emissions); i have seen claims that stoves emit a fifth or a quarter of the amount open fires do. there are houses near us where you'd regularly see a chimney smoking for hours on end, but with a good stove, the smoke would often be close to invisible.
    not that tackling any difference between them from a legislation point of view would be easy.

What is the reason for conversion. Is it cost or more heat

Probably people wanting a real fire vs a gas one. It is nice but in urban areas the health effects are pretty severe.

While I know there is a fuel poverty issue, I think we also need to be aware that there's a lot of installations of stoves and fireplaces that are purely decorative / obsession with open fires that we have in these islands and those will attempt to hide behind a notion of fuel poverty which doesn't impact them.

I know a few people who've gone on absolutely huge rants when anyone suggested they shouldn't burn solid fuel on the edge of the city centre and these are not people who've no central heating or any kind of financial issues around fuel. It's just a choice.

Most other northern European countries also once had fixations on nostalgic open fires or stoves and many of them just moved on to cleaner fuels anyway. Nostalgia can't really be an excuse for inflicting health problems on urban residents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

AutoTuning wrote: »
    Nostalgia can't really be an excuse for inflicting health problems on urban residents.

How do you protect the fuel poverty people though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Where do we stand on eco-logs? The ones made from compressed sawdust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Where do we stand on eco-logs? The ones made from compressed sawdust.

Ever seen the mash of sawdust and newspaper pulp? next to useless

Having no alternative (due to lack of capital to make changes) but to use solid fuel as your source of heat because of obsolete infrastructure in your home - lack of central heating systems, bad insulation etc and where that's driven by inability to get out of that trap, rather than some whacko notion (as some of my elderly relative make).

We'd an experience in my own family where we offered to install gas central heating in an 80+ year old relatives house and she flatly refused saying she likes open fires and she "wouldn't have the gas as it dries the air." It was nothing to do with pride or anything like that. She would rather go around wearing a coat and plugging in 3kW heaters (which cost a bloody fortune to run) than install "the gas".

There is a certain generation here who saw central heating as a ridiculous luxury or have almost victorian attitudes about heat from open fires.

Then you've a modern generation who just like the look of open fires and keep using them for nostalgic reasons.

Neither of those cases are fuel poverty.

What I see in Cork City is smoke rising from places like Mahon and other areas with a lot of relatively poor social housing. You can see smoke coming out of chimney pots and it's not just one or two houses, it's a high %. That to me would look like fuel poverty, not people taking notions.

The other issue that's also coming up is burning domestic waste in fire places due to high waste charges. That also is a backfiring element of waste policy as you've got both unregulated burning, including in urban areas, and illegal dumping which is being driven by high waste charges being levied in an unusual way. Most of Europe does not have a privatised waste market like we do, not even in Tory Britain have they gone that route.

I personally know people who boast about putting a large % of their household waste into a stove.
    So you're potentially getting poorly combusted, half burnt plastics, inks, coatings and all sorts of stuff going into the atmosphere.

We have a big issue with urban air quality.

One other point to remember in Ireland is natural gas arrived on the market here much later than most of Europe and most of Britain (Northern Ireland was even later) It really wasn’t widespread until the late 1980s and even into the 1990s, having arrived in Cork from Kinsale Head in the 1970s. The network took decades to build out. “Town gas” systems like the old Dublin or Cork gas supplies used manufactured gas and it was uneconomic as a fuel for central heating, so was hardly ever used. So our buildings tended to use a lot more solid fuel and pressure jet oil etc much later than most and in much more urban areas than most.

So instead of seeing a rush of natural gas heating in the 1950s we built out housing stock for open fires and oil.

https://www.purpleair.com is a good source of info and you'll see in winter most Irish towns and cities (and those north of the border too) perform very poorly compared to much of Western Europe. We're more in line with poorer parts of Eastern Europe and that applies to areas of the U.K. too.

Pick a still night and you'll get abysmal readings, including in the bigger cities.

Tonight's not particularly bad due to the wet weather.

eco-logs are better suited to stoves rather than open fires.....a lot of European countries have had community gas heating for decades, certainly those with hard winters. I don't think gas heating will be out of service for a long time to come. We've never really had much community heating here. It's very efficient when run right and natural gas has the toxins cleaned out of it at the refinery before it ever gets pumped into a house. While burning it gives off CO2, it's certainly not as bad as coal emissions.

Ever seen the mash of sawdust and newspaper pulp? next to useless

I use them in our closed insert stove that can't take wet wood and they burn really really well. Lots of heat and next to zero cleaning.

it's not our primary heat source, we use it at the weekends during the winter for heating downstairs and general ambience when we're relaxing.

You could start by explaining to them that there are often cheaper alternatives available.
    Grants could be provided for air source heat pumps, insulation or other clean burning heat sources depending on their location.

• Advertisement

air wrote: »
    You could start by explaining to them that there are often cheaper alternatives available.
    Grants could be provided for air source heat pumps, insulation or other clean burning heat sources depending on their location.

Here's one example of how grants are difficult for old people

One old person I know applied for a council grant to get their heating system upgraded. They had oil powered central heating but their burner was absolutely antique. I think it was on Noah's Ark.

The person filled in the forms and applied for the grant. They were refused because they were behind on their property tax. This old person didn't actually realise that property tax was still a thing. There was over €500 owed in property tax and zero chance that the old person would be able to come up with the money to pay the property tax.

Secondly, even if they got the grant, they would have had to make up a shortfall as the grant doesn't cover 100% of the work. They didn't have this money either.

So, the grant system that is in place doesn't suit those who most need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They can defer the property tax so it's taken upon their death, either way the money will be taken from them, making it official that they want it upon their death would make most sense allowing them to avail of grants. There are thresholds for defferal so may or may not suit them.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/housing_taxes_and_reliefs/deferring_local_property_tax.html

They can defer the property tax so it's taken upon their death, either way the money will be taken from them, making it official that they want it upon their death would make most sense allowing them to avail of grants.

The council wouldn't process the grant unless the property tax was up to date. I know this for a fact because I helped the old person fill out the forms.

And yes, the property tax was being deferred. The person I helped out didn't even know that it was being deferred. They genuinely thought that the property tax wasn't a thing any more.

It would make sense to allow certain people to get the grant when their property tax is deferred until death but the Council (where I live) don't seem to want to operate that way.

That's a sly way to punish elders that want to warehouse their property tax until it's sold. What county council is that?

If you want to see some of the comparisons on fuel mix used to heat homes here, take a look at :

https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/13/8/1894/htm

Fuel mix:

https://www.mdpi.com/energies/energies-13-01894/article_deploy/html/images/energies-13-01894-g002.png

Ireland's way out there with Eastern Europe on use of coal, a huge amount of oil and almost no renewable worth talking about compared to most of Europe. The UK is a similar pattern for renewables, but massive amounts of natural gas use.

We're actually a total disgrace on home heating. We've basically made no progress at all on it. There's endless talk and policy papers here and no real action.

The reality is we're probably 40 to 50 years behind Scandinavia on this, particularly on the renewables side.

and in 2015 we'd the second most CO2 intensive space heating, only being pipped a bit by Poland.

https://www.mdpi.com/energies/energies-13-01894/article_deploy/html/images/energies-13-01894-g003.png

Basically, we've crappy air quality because we're burning way more solid fuel than most and also in a more uncontrolled manner than the heavy users of solid fuel (a lot of that would go into district heating in Eastern Europe and be burnt relatively more cleanly in boilers, not open fires.)

Oil isn't particularly wonderful either, particularly with older or badly maintained / tuned boilers and burners, they're ones that produce haze. It's not unusual to be able to smell kerosine / gasoil fumes in Irish housing estates and suburbs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement