Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Social welfare shouldn't be spent on alcohol

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

steddyeddy wrote: »
    So do you think Norris has been value for money?
    The whole political system is not a value for money, so he also is not. My point was that he is relatively a much better value for money than jobseekers as he is at least contributing something to society.

Wouldn't it be much better to choose where your money goes, instead of it being decided by politicians who you don't seem to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

A horrible pompous fat little bastard of a man.

Aah! Don't sugar-coat it Mak. Tell us what you really think.

See some kids going around with the shoes falling off their feet, clothes either dirty or too small on them, and mammy out every Saturday night. After a hard week of being a full time mum to little angles.
    Disgust you so it would

I'd say they're very cute though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Originally Posted by LexieOnRale
    See some kids going around with the shoes falling off their feet, clothes either dirty or too small on them, and mammy out every Saturday night. After a hard week of being a full time mum to little angles.
    Disgust you so it would
    I'd say they're very cute though. :pac:

perhaps, but possibly a bit obtuse too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

kjl wrote: »
    I really hate comments like this. Norris works, he gets up everyday and goes to his job. He doesn't wake up at 12, have a **** and then get pissed.

He pays his taxes and contributes to society. If the people on the dole can afford to spend most of their money on drink, then why should I, who works hard everyday and pays my way, give them any more money than they need.

If some people on the dole choose to spend most of their money on drink, while the remainder struggle to get by, then it goes without saying that those who spend most of their money on drink are choosing to do without some necessities to feed their drinking habit.

€188 per week is not a huge amount of money to live on every week.

I don't drink, and I couldn't live on it.

So, clearly, the issue is not the amount of dole that people are paid, it's the fact that some people on the dole are alcoholics.

I'm assuming that you don't have an issue with someone on welfare having a drink, or two, just those who spend most of their money on drink?

Norris is just being a windbag, spouting nonsense before he puts his brain in gear - unsurprisingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Mario95 wrote: »
    The whole political system is not a value for money, so he also is not. My point was that he is relatively a much better value for money than jobseekers as he is at least contributing something to society.

Wouldn't it be much better to choose where your money goes, instead of it being decided by politicians who you don't seem to like.

Jesus not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

There speaks the simple kindness, humanity, and generosity of a man/woman who has seen (been in?) the trap, and wouldn't wish it on any human being.

Fair play chief.

Nice to see something in this thread that would restore your faith in the Irish people.
    Jeez thanks - didn't think it was that major, just seems like commonsense to me!
    Luckily I have never been unemployed for longer than a matter of weeks - and it was nice for a while to have a break, but then it started to get real tedious. I was ok for money, it was just the monotony that started to get to me.

I would say it's an issue if they're spending most of their dole on a rake of cheap booze to get wasted as much as possible. A little bit of that would be disagreement with whiling away the time getting pissed instead of trying to look for work, but it would be more due to the fact that it's just not a healthy, happy way to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

In response to the RTE recent investigation into corruption,Norris said

"I am horrified by the revelations," .

He then criticised RTÉ for "entrapping people and inviting them to engage in criminal activity"

Which he described as "disgraceful"

So it appears he was horrified by the conduct of these yoo ha's,but twas RTE who fooled them into filling there pockets,with filthy lucre.

Only gob****es would take this man as being a rational voice on all things fair and just.

And he gets paid for all of this,by us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Does the good senator have something to fear regarding such corruption entrapment?
    You would think polititions being prepared to partake of such illegal activity would be more concerning than how they got caught

gladrags wrote: »
    In response to the RTE recent investigation into corruption,Norris said

"I am horrified by the revelations," .

He then criticised RTÉ for "entrapping people and inviting them to engage in criminal activity"

Which he described as "disgraceful"

So it appears he was horrified by the conduct of these yoo ha's,but twas RTE who fooled them into filling there pockets,with filthy lucre.

Only gob****es would take this man as being a rational voice on all things fair and just.

And he gets paid for all of this,by us.

Azalea wrote: »
    Jeez thanks - didn't think it was that major, just seems like commonsense to me!
    Luckily I have never been unemployed for longer than a matter of weeks - and it was nice for a while to have a break, but then it started to get real tedious. I was ok for money, it was just the monotony that started to get to me.

I would say it's an issue if they're spending most of their dole on a rake of cheap booze to get wasted as much as possible. A little bit of that would be disagreement with whiling away the time getting pissed instead of trying to look for work, but it would be more due to the fact that it's just not a healthy, happy way to live.

We have a mate who's been un-employed for a while now. He won't come out for a pint because he doesn't want to be in a situation where he can't buy his round. Heart-breaking. We'd quite happily cover him. But the worst thing, is seeing his faith in himself ebbing away.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

melissak wrote: »
    I don't know, just thought if they were on methadone they w
    would be registered in the system as an addiction and on a program to get off it. Long-term heroin addicts aren't likely to get a job, who would employ them?

thats a seperate matter and plenty of people, we only think of the zombies we see floating around but in reality most people addicted to drugs continue their lives including those that are on long term heroin treatment such as methadone.

Of course long term heroin addiction results in physical giveaways but theres still jobs for them out there, probable not in your average customer service but who better to assist in treatment than a former addict? (as an example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Very true. Even current addicts that regret becoming addicted would have a lot to offer on drugs programs.
    esforum wrote: »
    thats a seperate matter and plenty of people, we only think of the zombies we see floating around but in reality most people addicted to drugs continue their lives including those that are on long term heroin treatment such as methadone.

Of course long term heroin addiction results in physical giveaways but theres still jobs for them out there, probable not in your average customer service but who better to assist in treatment than a former addict? (as an example)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Chris.

Mario95 wrote: »
    He is at least contributing something to the society, doing some work. As you can see from the poll, about half of the population agrees with him. He is representing the 50% of taxpayers who support his idea(s), its his job as a politician.

How do the jobseekers contribute to the society? Why should the taxpayers pay for their alcohol?

There's a very small percentage of the social welfare spend going to people who have never done a days work in their lives. I don't have any problem with it tbh. Having been on jobseekers for a year of my life I can tell you its no joke, no way for anyone to live a happy life, It's a soul destroying existence.

Now Norris on the other hand I have a problem with. An unelected official spouting hateful bulls##t like this is unacceptable. Was this same man not campaigning for equality a while back? Or is just equality when it's suits himself which he's looking for?

Absolutely nobody has the right to tell anyone how to live their life or how to spend their money be it social welfare or not. I can guarantee you 90% of money wasted in this country is not being wasted at the bottom. People need to have a no tolerance approach to any sort of divide and conquer tactics from elected or unelected officials. They are their to serve us not tell us where we should be pointing blame or how people should live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Welfare should partly be in tokens that can only be spent in supermarkets (no alcohol) ... I'll be shot here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Welfare should partly be in tokens that can only be spent in supermarkets (no alcohol) ... I'll be shot here.
    Buy groceries using tokens for friend, friend gives you cash equivalent - you buy whatever you like with cash.

Giving people tokens is no different to giving out cash, it doesn't stop people spending the money on whatever they like - it doesn't even make it harder really either, as circumventing it is so easy.

Unemployed people should not be allowed to purchase alcohol because a burglar had an expensive car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

We must remember that Norris himself stated in a newspaper interview after his monumental presidential failure that he has spent most of his time while in trinity and a senator travelling the world first class all the way, going to all the best places and being treated like a king, eating like a lord at all the best restaurants and sleeping in the best hotels and all at the taxpayers expense!

The pompus little prick was bragging about how much was spent on him.

Unemployed people should not be allowed to purchase alcohol because a burglar had an expensive car?
    Keep it civil please

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

David Norris says he doesn't want his "tax dollars" to be spent on drink!

http://www.thejournal.ie/david-norri...m_source=email

He seems to forget that it's our tax dollars which pay him.

well you have those that have paid into the system, why should they be told how they can spend their money? Then you have the legions of wasters bleeding the system dry, never having done anything but suck the state dry.

Why dont we start that debate, about billions being given to these parasites? before we start a debate about adults, many who have contributed a lot to this state, being banned from buying alcohol with their weekly welfare payments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

removed

Your original post is the one that is irrelevant, unless you think the guy bought his expensive car with money from the dole (which, if you read your own link, you don't think).

snip

I've been reading it from the start.
    I don't see what an unemployed burglar has to do with the thread.

I've been reading it from the start.
    I don't see what an unemployed burglar has to do with the thread.

Really? there was nothing in this thread concerning criminals claiming welfare despite not spending a solitary minute looking for a job? Nothing at all???

Really? there was nothing in this thread concerning criminals claiming welfare despite not spending a solitary minute looking for a job? Nothing at all???

Nothing that supports David Norris's remark that welfare recipients shouldn't buy alcohol? Or would you admit that article has nothing to do with the topic of discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,866 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

David Norris is a cretin who just likes the sound of his own voice and his picture in a newspaper. He must be really floundering for something to stick his mug onto now that his presidential campaign and gay marriage has been boxed off... It's not Nazi Germany and you cannot dictate and indeed police how and on what people spend their money regardless as to where they got it from. He should be reminded that there are far more pressing causes in this state that he could use his ire, notoriety and position to influence then bothering himself with this. At the end of the day if people want to drink they will, on the other hand if they want to better themselves they will. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Norris is one to talk about people living off the state, This is the same fella who got a handsome payoff retiring from Trinity on the grounds of ill health, ill but still capable of being in the senate and claiming a nice big salary for that with expenses, The man also claimed disability benefit as well, David Norris has got more money from the taxpayer then any of those unfortunate enough to be unemployed, Guys a pompous arsehole and a hypocrite.

Nothing that supports David Norris's remark that welfare recipients shouldn't buy alcohol? Or would you admit that article has nothing to do with the topic of discussion?

oh whatever, i have posted enough in this thread now. Im not covering old ground again everytime someone new enters the debate

oh whatever, i have posted enough in this thread now. Im not covering old ground again everytime someone new enters the debate

Because you were dragging the thread off topic. I've read all your posts, I've read every post. I skipped over the off topic stuff. You cannot surely say that an unemployed burglar (against all the employed ones) is good enough proof to say that David Norris is right and limits should be put on what unemployed people should be allowed to buy, which, let's look at the title, is what this thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Folks please stop snipping at each other and get back on topic. Thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement