Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You learn something new everyday.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

A delta is where a river meets a standing body of water. (Could be a lake)
    An estuary is where a river or rivers meet the coast and create a brackish mix of water.

https://keydifferences.com/difference-between-estuary-and-delta.html#:~:text=In%20short%2C%20the%20basic%20difference,it%20joins%20a%20standing%20waterbody.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In 1940, Britain offered a United Ireland if we joined World War II.
    Could have been dodgy. They probably would have built military bases here and then when the war ended said 'ah sure maybe we'll stick around a while'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

In 1940, Britain offered a United Ireland if we joined World War II.
    They also discussed taking back the 26 counties at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They also discussed taking back the 26 counties at the same time.

In short, they couldn't be trusted.

McDonalds tried to buy the rights to the 90s miniseries IT before it was released so they could shelve it.
    It's based on Stephen King's book about an evil clown called Pennywise who kills children.
    McDs were afraid that it might turn people off their mascot Ronald McDonald and hurt their business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

McDonalds tried to buy the rights to the 90s miniseries IT before it was released so they could shelve it.
    It's based on Stephen King's book about an evil clown called Pennywise who kills children.
    McDs were afraid that it might turn people off their mascot Ronald McDonald and hurt their business.

Then there's the ET ripoff made entirely as a vehicle for McDonalds products, Mac and me.

kowloon wrote: »
    Then there's the ET ripoff made entirely as a vehicle for McDonalds products, Mac and me.

Then there was the time they paid rappers to drop the Micky D name in their verses.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/mar/29/business.usa

Sellout much? :(

Their are no weight divisions in Sumo Wrestling.

Their are no weight divisions in Sumo Wrestling.

Heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ever wonder why Africans are called 'daoine gorma' in Irish? Well one theory is that it is because the first Africans Irish people encountered were the Tuareg, either through them sailing here or vice versa, who often wear blue/purple robes. They didn't want to call them dubh because 'an fear dubh' refers to the devil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yeah the fear dubh was beyond the human world.

A Toureg lad wouldn't be much darker than a Spaniard so I have doubts about that other theory. I don't think sub-Saharan lads were up here much back in the day and I don't think many Irish boats were visiting their lands either. Maybe a small number came in the medieval times as crew alright. Many of the sub-S guys have a blueish hue on their skin. To me it is as blue as it is 'black' so I find daoine gorm makes perfect sense.

Jasper from the Simpsons full name is Jasper Beardley.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I learned this week that Trent Reznor ( 9 inch nails) is alive and well ( not as I thought, took his own life years ago) and that despite what I was told as gospel (that Armagh was the smallest county in Ulster ) according to Google it's in fact Monaghan. ( Google includes the section of lough neagh in Amagh)
    I also learned not to trust everything from Google.

Christmas carol The Holly And The Ivy was written by King Henry VIII.

I just learned the word 'Sparge'

moisten by sprinkling with water, especially in brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Christmas carol The Holly And The Ivy was written by King Henry VIII.

Were Holly and Ivy the lesser known Boleyn sisters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Were Holly and Ivy the lesser known Boleyn sisters?

They were, Holly was prickly and Ivy was poisonous. B**ches the two of them

Seamai wrote: »
    They were, Holly was prickly and Ivy was poisonous. B**ches the two of them

Ah here, leaf it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

iamstop wrote: »
    Ah here, leaf it out.

No need to lose the head over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

That the deadliest creature is not a tiger/ hippopotamus/ great white shark . It's mosquitoes
    750 K per annum

• Advertisement

cj maxx wrote: »
    That the deadliest creature is not a tiger/ hippopotamus/ great white shark . It's mosquitoes
    750 K per annum

Deadliest to humans for sure, but deadliest species to all other species is humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

from the irish products thread - turophile means a lover of cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I'd like to point out an error in the title, it should be: "You learn something new every day". Everyday (one word) is an adjective meaning ordinary or commonplace.

I guess you learn something new every day!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Deadliest to humans for sure, but deadliest species to all other species is humans.

land_mammals.png

https://xkcd.com/1338/

A delta is where a river meets a standing body of water. (Could be a lake)
    An estuary is where a river or rivers meet the coast and create a brackish mix of water.

https://keydifferences.com/difference-between-estuary-and-delta.html#:~:text=In%20short%2C%20the%20basic%20difference,it%20joins%20a%20standing%20waterbody.

A delta is the accumulation of sediment as a landform!

Spoiler alert for anyone watching or planning to watch The Ripper on Netflix.
    He only died last month! And from Covid no less! :eek:

Cruelty to animal laws do not apply to chickens in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ocado's name is inspired by the avocado - "Wholesome, fresh and enjoyed worldwide in innovative ways"

Cop and copper were originally a derogatory term for the police. Up until the 60s I think

• Advertisement

Cop and copper were originally a derogatory term for the police. Up until the 60s I think
    The "old bill" is cockney rhyming slang for pig's swill.

Advertisement