Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

You learn something new everyday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

They were battery operated so not much power.
    You wore them on your back all day though. Do it for a few years and you will get negative effects, it's cumulative.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The guy who made the classic track 'Flat Beat' under the guise Mr. Oizo also directed the movie about a killer car tire called 'Rubber'.

Quentin Dupieux (French: [kɑ̃tɛ̃ dypjø], born April 15, 1974), also known by his musical stage name Mr. Oizo ([məsjø wazo]),[1] is a French filmmaker, electronic musician and DJ. Dupieux uses his full name for his filmmaking career, Mr. Oizo being only used for his musical career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Oizo

I just found out that there is now law in Ireland against public drinking! I always thought there was but wikipedia tells me different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_in_public#Republic_of_Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I just found out i've a hole in my pocket

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

India proved there was water on the moon back in 2008.

The founding of Rawkus Records (one of the best indie Hip Hop labels of the 90's and 00's) was bank rolled by James Murdoch, some of media mogul Rupert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawkus_Records

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Kylta wrote: »

Then mend it, dear Kylta, dear Kylta, dear Kylta,
    Then mend it, dear Kylta, dear Kylta, mend it.

iamstop wrote: »
    The founding of Rawkus Records (one of the best indie Hip Hop labels of the 90's and 00's) was bank rolled by James Murdoch, some of media mogul Rupert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawkus_Records

Some son for one son!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I read today that Ryan Giggs is black. Never knew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

What about your bucket?

What about your bucket?

I'll have to change my name to holey, I just found out ive a hole in my sock and shoe.
    The hole in my hole, or the hole in my head don't count. I found the hole in my hole accidently ( I thought my finger went into a chocolate font. It wasn't chocolate, more like a hot curry taste). I always knew the hole in my head. Caused me to investigate the hole in my hole. I really hope this sorts out all my holes

I'll have to change my name to holey, I just found out ive a hole in my sock and shoe.
    The hole in my hole, or the hole in my head don't count. I found the hole in my hole accidently ( I thought my finger went into a chocolate font. It wasn't chocolate, more like a hot curry taste). I always knew the hole in my head. Caused me to investigate the hole in my hole. I really hope this sorts out all my holes

Your story's full of holes!

COVID wrote: »
    Your story's full of holes!

Do you know anybody with a few spare patches

Do you know anybody with a few spare patches

Clarence Carter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

COVID wrote: »
    Clarence Carter!

I know of him and his song Strokin,lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

KungPao wrote: »
    I read today that Ryan Giggs is black. Never knew.

The only real way to know is to ask his brothers ex wife could she go back?

As Michael Jackson said (I may be paraphrasing) "It don't matter if he's black or white, he's a fúcking scumbag regardless"

I found out why it was called a Marathon bar for years before they changed the name to Snickers like it was called in the rest of the world.

https://i.redd.it/hbxj8ydcxtv51.png

:eek:

Prince's dad was an established musician.

Been getting more in to Prince and some of his lesser well known music recently. Didn't really know anything about his up bringing or parents or anything but turns out his dad was a musician too. Makes sense when you think of it.

"Prince’s father was an incredible musician
    Every boy looks up to their father. Prince’s musical career choice was no exception.

His father, John Nelson, led his own band called The Prince Rogers Jazz Trio."

https://www.musicinminnesota.com/20-facts-you-didnt-know-about-prince/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

some people refer to their family on the internet using acronynms :

DH = Husband
    DS = Son
    DD = Daughter
    DC = Children
    DB = Brother
    DF = Father
    DM = Mother
    SIL = Sister-in-law
    FIL = Father-in-law

the D stands for Darling, in case you didn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The famous mask that Michael Myers wears in Halloween is a William Shatner mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

That the word "carnival" derives from "carnal" due to the lusty behaviour of people at carnivals of old - according to someone on Newstalk this morning.

C635

The famous mask that Michael Myers wears in Halloween is a William Shatner mask.

It does look like him now that you mention it - i never would have copped that though!

It's like that thing with sudo creme, everyone knows what it smells like, it smells like sudo creme and nothing else, it's unique....untill someone tells you it smells of lavender and then all you can smell is lavender:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

"Once in a blue moon"
    A blue moon is when there are 2 full moons in the same calendar month. Happened last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Conway635 wrote: »
    That the word "carnival" derives from "carnal" due to the lusty behaviour of people at carnivals of old - according to someone on Newstalk this morning.

C635

I thought it was to do with a blowout before giving up meat for Lenten period to come? Wikipedia seems to think so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

topper75 wrote: »
    I thought it was to do with a blowout before giving up meat for Lenten period to come? Wikipedia seems to think so too.

In that case, what I learned today is not to believe everything you hear on Newstalk :-)

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

The City of London is technically not part of the UK**. The Queen cannot enter with permission from the Lord Mayor that perside over this jurisdiction.

Administratively the City of London is referred to as 'The City of London Corporation'. Food for thought!

** Take this with a pinch of salt folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

iamstop wrote: »
    I found out why it was called a Marathon bar for years before they changed the name to Snickers like it was called in the rest of the world.

https://i.redd.it/hbxj8ydcxtv51.png

:eek:

So why did it become okay for Britain to fall in line with the rest of the world in 1990, I wonder? Was 'knickers' no longer a dirty word?

Anyway, my learning: Friday the 13th is regarded as an unlucky date as that was the date on which the king of France swooped on the Knights Templar.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    "Once in a blue moon"
    A blue moon is when there are 2 full moons in the same calendar month. Happened last month.

Also it's the first time that it has occurred on halloween since 1974....but this is according to newstalk, so.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

So why did it become okay for Britain to fall in line with the rest of the world in 1990, I wonder? Was 'knickers' no longer a dirty word?

Other option might be Snunderpants.

Advertisement