Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

You learn something new everyday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

KungPao wrote: »
    Does every question require an answer?

Yes, unless i'm in the wrong

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I was saying Perspex to my boss and he didn't know what I was talking about until he asked did I mean Plexiglas.

All just different names for the same thing.

Poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA), also known as acrylic, or acrylic glass, as well as by the trade names Crylux, Plexiglas acrylic, Acrylite, Astariglas, Lucite, Perclax, and Perspex, among several others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate)#:~:text=Poly(methyl%20methacrylate)%20(PMMA,a%20lightweight%20or%20shatter%2Dresistant

I learnt that its not always possible to contain flatulence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I learned that they open really old, expensive bottles of wine by heating up a special pliers gizmo until it's red hot and clamping it around the neck of the bottle just below the cork, when the glass then gets hot they brush it with cold water and it cracks through. This way they don't have to touch a 50, 60, 100 year old cork and risk it disintegrating into the wine.

I don't have any expensive wine by the way - a mate sent me a youtube video of it:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I'm learning a lot about trading the financial makets lately. Yesterday I learned that you have to read price action even if you're using technical indicators. The indicators on their own aren't good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

minor celebrity can be just as much of a slob in real life zoom call as I can. he looks so suave and polished usually, to see him unshaven and in what looked like check pj shirt was a bit of a surprise....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I've learned the difference between speed and thrash metal.

vriesmays wrote: »

Pro Tip: One is a Keanu Reeves movie, the other is a music sub genre. :cool:

I've learned that there are more crap drivers (fu©k me how did some them actually pass their driving test) than there are competent drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

vriesmays wrote: »
    iamstop wrote: »
    Pro Tip: One is a Keanu Reeves movie, the other is a music sub genre. :cool:

No, no, no.

One is a cheap stimulant and the other is seen as free money by our ethnic recycling brethren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I conducted a 'pot life' or 'working life' test of a metal bonding adhesive in work today and concluded that working life and clamping pressure are indeed both very important for achieving a desired bond of two pieces of galvanized steel.

So, what did you learn today?
    Not new to me but ...!

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/everyday-every-day/

Today I learned about an app called Nextdoor and that people are using it to scam unsuspecting folk.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nicolenguyen/nextdoor-scams

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I conducted a 'pot life' or 'working life' test of a metal bonding adhesive in work today and concluded that working life and clamping pressure are indeed both very important for achieving a desired bond of two pieces of galvanized steel.

So, what did you learn today?

I know where you work....I think

I know where you work....I think

I know you don't. Send me a DM for funzies. :pac:

I realised today that when i'm happy, it annoys some people

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Kylta wrote: »
    I realised today that when i'm happy, it annoys some people

Amen, sista, I realised this week that when I'm succeeding it irritates some people and they want to pull me down and more importantly that that ain't about me.

zanador wrote: »
    Amen, sista, I realised this week that when I'm succeeding it irritates some people and they want to pull me down and more importantly that that ain't about me.

I just learnt that people are under the impression I'm a female

I hadn't ascribed a gender to you I say that to everyone but I'll amen brother ya too. Amens all round

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Tredstone

I learnt a little more about human dynamics and relationships

Now I know more than a little but not a lot

• Advertisement

I learnt that the more you think you know about women, the less you actually know about them

Everyday is an adjective. The title should be "every day". That's something to learn I suppose.

I learned about the Rainbow Gravity theory.
    Basically the theory goes that different wave lengths of light experience different gravity levels and can be seperated out kind of like how a prism diffracts white light into the spectrum. (Dark Side of the Moon album cover anyone?)

What I find most interesting about this theory is that if proved correct, it may disprove the existence of the big bang theory! Maybe Chuck Lorre was wrong!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_gravity_theory

There is a tick-borne disease you can contract that makes you allergic to red meat!

https://www.popsci.com/alpha-gal-tick-borne-disease/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

well, I've just learned you're not.

edit : or maybe i'm just assuming you're not based on this post, and that maybe you are, in fact, a woman.

ablelocks wrote: »
    well, I've just learned you're not.

edit : or maybe i'm just assuming you're not based on this post, and that maybe you are, in fact, a woman.

I'm a man, but you got me thinking, I'd be a fine looking bald woman that looks like a man

I'm a man, but you got me thinking, I'd be a fine looking bald woman that looks like a man

One of the best things about being a middle aged woman and wearing a mask is I don't have to worry about my beard anymore

zanador wrote: »
    One of the best things about being a middle aged woman and wearing a mask is I don't have to worry about my beard anymore

At least your looking on the bright side of things

• Advertisement

At least your looking on the bright side of things

Well it's a bit darker because as noone can recognise me I'm not doing my eyebrows either

Advertisement