Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Feck all tbh. The sky Q box is the only item wired and downloads are certainly rapid, everything else is wireless and works no differently from when I had 65/20 fttc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Well a week after turning down their derisory offer there has not been a call back with a better offer. So I signed up to Sky today. They can do the install in 2 weeks time so there will be no down time which is good. I have a lot of recorded shows to watch between now and then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I rang Virgin Media recently to discuss my renewal, I was pleasantly surprised when they offered 9 months half price without much resistance.

Then I had a look at their new customer offer and realised that it still works out €130 cheaper for the exact same service over the lifespan of the contract even when factoring in the 9 months half price. It's €230 when you factor in the one for all voucher. It's nearly 20% cheaper for new customers. That's a huge difference.

It's very frustrating. The loyalty rep couldn't move any further. Advised me that I could get in trouble for switching into my partners name. 🙄

I'm still weighing up my options. I'm tempted to just go with Sky Stream and leave this yearly rigmarole behind me. First year I have had the option of going with Sky.

Virgin Media really need to sort out their shafting of their current customers year in, year out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I was in the exact same boat as yourself and fully planned putting the service in my wife’s name.

The VM service was due to expire next Wednesday (as I had cancelled) and I got a call this week querying why I was cancelling- I ended up with €35 PM for 12 months and doubled the speed from 250 to 500mb. No voucher but I’ll accept that.

Cancel- but hang in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

I’ve never received a call back after cancelling, maybe because I don’t entertain their retention offers. They can’t match the new customer offers so no point wasting time. We just signup every year as a new customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

They offered me better than the new customer offers on a PM basis- €35 PM

I didn’t get the €100 voucher though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I emailed cancel@virginmedia.ie on the 24th of September and last night I got a text & email saying my account has been set to close and they will be in touch to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭archfi

I sent my cancel email on 18th Sept and nothing back yet. I'll give it till end of week and if nothing back confirming end date, then contact them on X.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

It's under my wife's name and she didn't get an email response either (sent on 28th) so she just called.

They really pushed hard for us not to cancel. Best they would offer was 35e for 6months for 500mb or 40e for 9 months for 1gb.

My wife had to hang up in the end because the woman just wouldn't stop trying to get us to stay saying about other providers in my area are slow (they are) and our usage is so high (it is)...etc.

She is ringing again to say just cancel the thing and stop asking all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭bren2001

Send an email to cancel if you don't want the back and forth. Or just say you're moving to another country. Ends the discussion immediately.

• Advertisement

Who are going with? Or are you changing to your name as a new customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

She just had 2nd call. Told them she heard it all and just to cancel it.

They said they don't do email cancellations but that's not true as I did it last year and some people are getting responses (just very delayed).

My plan is to sign up again under my name in a few weeks unless they offer something like the new customer deals to the wife.

I'm also thinking of considering using 5g (Three @ 20e a month) as I am very near the mast so I get great speeds with that. I have a 5g modem and tested it, in the right spot I can get about 700 down 90 up. It obviously wouldn't be as stable as VM but I don't do any gaming/things that would be a problem. I don't have any other fast options here, just 20mb phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭EarWig

I've been getting by on 4g without any problems, including watching the rugby WC in 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Can I check something?

If I cancel the account, which is under my wife's name, can I start as a new customer under my name?

Nothing else would change, ie same package etc.

Is it that simple?

New boxes so you lose all recorded content etc.

For BB you'll get a new router, a tip that was on here is to change the SSID and password to match your old router, as was said already if you have TV you'll get a new 360 box.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Has anyone feedback on Sky, Eir etc when they've moved from VM. Has broadband been a lot slower or inconsistent? I'm living in suburbia so would be interested to hear as looking to move. Believe VM is only fibre option available to me at moment.

The update here is that 2 weeks after cancelling with VM their cancellation team called me and offered me same terms as a new customer for a year. I said no. Am done with this messing every year.

It really does warrant a court case.

"Virgin Media should not use technical obstacles to prevent customers switching provider, court hears"

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/10/10/virgin-media-should-not-use-technical-obstacles-to-prevent-customers-switching-provider-court-hears/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

It doesn't warrant anything of the sort!!

Most of us here use the process to crack a better deal for ourselves. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Is there a wait time for this, or can you sign up new the day cancelled service ends ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

You can sign up several days in advance of the end of contract to avoid loss of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭andyred

My mother is an 80 year old widower living off a pension. I set up VM phone, tv and broadband for her a couple of years ago but the account is in my name and I pay her bill. Obviously I got a new customer discount at the time so it was a decent deal but its now risen to the guts of 150 euro a month. Its a ridiculous price when new customer offers are half of this.

The issue I have is my mother uses the home phone for hours upon hours every week and she has had the same phone number for 50 years. Is there a way I can cancel my contract, which ends in November anyway, and maybe sign up again in her name as a new customer? If I did this though is it possible to keep the same home telephone number? Would be hell if she lost that number.

Any help is appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I see that Sky and VM have signed a wholesale agreement. It might provide more options for negotiation at contract renewal!

https://www.skygroup.sky/article/-sky-ireland-and-virgin-media-ireland-announce-landmark-wholesale-deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Same cancelled last week been with them 20 years, got text today saying if interested in half price for 6 months call them. Not done so have been looking at Sky the €49 a month deal especially as now don't need a dish. Did you go through with SKY how is it, is the broadband as good?

The broadband with sky is just fine for us. Good for movie streaming etc. The modem they give is a bit weak but we connect it to a t link router which solves that. Renaming your new WiFi to same as the old one saves having to reconnect all your devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Duit

Does anybody know how will this work? They got on a similar agreement with Vodafone last year but If we check our address on VF or Sky webpage we only get up to 100 mb/sec which it's their standard product (no siro, installed at our address)

I can only get Virgin fibre in my house. When the Vodafone deal was announced I was delighted thinking I could switch to them. Nope....they still only offer me a 5g modem.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. In 3 or 4 years nearly everyone will have fibre connections other than VM. At some point their excessive pricing must break.

I don't see VM permitting competitors to offer lower priced products to the customers that they have a monopolistic hold over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Duit

That's ridiculous... Why do they announce something that they don't deliver?

Advertisement