Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric hair trimmer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Going bald on top so always got a no 1 at the barber because I didn't think i'd be able to trim my own hair.

Bought a Remington years ago but never used it so when this kicked in I pulled it out of the press and been doing it myself the last few weeks.

Took me a while to get the hang of it but practice makes perfect :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

So do you guys reckon you will keep cutting your own hair or go back to the barbers when they re-open? I think I'll keep using my own clippers. No more waiting around in the barbers and having kids throwing toy cars at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

So do you guys reckon you will keep cutting your own hair or go back to the barbers when they re-open? I think I'll keep using my own clippers. No more waiting around in the barbers and having kids throwing toy cars at me.

Did not know toy cars was an issue. Thanks. Will be mindful in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I'll go back as they need business and can do a better job. The advantage of having your own clippers is you can top up between barber visits or try out new styles. You can always get the barber to fix it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I'll go back as they need business and can do a better job. The advantage of having your own clippers is you can top up between barber visits or try out new styles. You can always get the barber to fix it afterwards.

My barber always jokes that they should charge extra for fixing mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Much as I love my barbers it'll be a while before I feel confident returning.

Can see myself using my own clippers for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Finally got my wife to cut my using hair trimmer don't know who was more nervous me or her, but she don't a good job, granted ive very little hair on top so just back and sides really, so much easier then most, i don't know now if i should bother with the barbers anymore it came out that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I'd been tempted to shave my head for the last few months (going light on top :() so getting a clippers when I did a few weeks ago seemed like the perfect time to try it. I really like it, and will continue doing it, so can't see myself heading back to the barbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think I will go to the barber some of the time and other weeks do it myself, handy way to save a few bob.

At least we can do it ourselves in times like this, not sure how the ladies will manage until the hairdressers open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I enjoy getting my hair cut by a professional so my long term plan is to definitely go back to my regular barber. But if they were to re-open in the next few weeks I don't think I'd feel comfortable going back just yet. If they sold vouchers or something then I'd happily buy some in the mean time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'd go back, not any time soon. Not a fan of the small talk, but no matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

Bought a trimmer with all the coloured attachments about 7 months ago , herself was too nervous doing it. Its fairly fool proof, im thinning a fair bit on top now, so started with a 4 blade. But herself encouraged me to go tighter so the sides blend in better. On the 1 blade now all over. Takes about 4 to 5 mon tops. Best to kneel down, hunch over and keep trimming until to don't hear the cut. Have vaccum to hand and job completed...no evidence. A quick shower and you're feeling fresh.
    Best 30 euros ever :)
    Herself is like a wild meadow now... but bothering her less these days as she sees worse when we hit the supermarket :)

Just practiced what i preach :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

realistically will barbers be open in 2020 ??? I think a home hair cut is inevitable ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Some might be interested in this.

Capital Hair and Beauty and Frank Hackett of Retro barbers in Limerick have created a series of 10 minute Barbering tutorials on YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Just did my own. Clippers 4mm side and scissor top. Took a while but looks ok. Definitely had worse from some Barbour shops in the past..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Anybody on here buy the blade one from jifte(I've never heard of them), cheap at 25 us dollars, don't seem to have much of anything, I think it's only battery powered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I borrowed one off the neighbors as my son wanted his hair cut, watched a couple of university of Youtube videos. Worked out well. So does anywhere have them in stock?, Amazon just seemed to be a load of Dont deliver to Ireland or stuff obviously coming from China. The bigger Irish on line brands didnt seem to have anything, only seem to be sites that dont have great reputations or very long delivery so gain probably Chinese.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I borrowed one off the neighbors as my son wanted his hair cut, watched a couple of university of Youtube videos. Worked out well. So does anywhere have them in stock?, Amazon just seemed to be a load of Dont deliver to Ireland or stuff obviously coming from China. The bigger Irish on line brands didnt seem to have anything, only seem to be sites that dont have great reputations or very long delivery so gain probably Chinese.
    littlewoodsireland still have a few left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

Having a clippers delivered this week: did anyone find any YouTube tutorials in particular any use?

tigger123 wrote: »
    Having a clippers delivered this week: did anyone find any YouTube tutorials in particular any use?

I didn't think a youtube tutorial was going to do anything to improve on my strategy of a #4 all over?

• Advertisement

I managed to find a good tutorial on how to shave my arse.

any clippers recommendations going ???

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I've ordered this https://bit.ly/3fxBMt4 from Mc Cabes Pharmacy as I'm desperate for a hair cut!

I'll let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Link not working for me.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Link not working for me.

Good I hate it when people use bitly links :pac:

I settled on this one in the end, the ones on Littlewoods seemed to be more trimmers or product reviews werent great.

https://www.parfumdreams.ie/Panasonic/Haircare/Hair-Clippers/Hair-Clippers-ER-GP30/index_71924.aspx

I stumbled over this tutorial when I did my son's hair , covers the basics.

https://youtu.be/-ewJDxnYkNU

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

silverharp wrote: »
    I settled on this one in the end, the ones on Littlewoods seemed to be more trimmers or product reviews werent great.

https://www.parfumdreams.ie/Panasonic/Haircare/Hair-Clippers/Hair-Clippers-ER-GP30/index_71924.aspx

I stumbled over this tutorial when I did my son's hair , covers the basics.

https://youtu.be/-ewJDxnYkNU

Any good ? :)

lillielad wrote: »
    Any good ? :)

Ill tell you when it arrives, prob 10 days or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I gave it a shot a few weeks ago but couldnt get the side fade right and ended up with a very noticeable line halfway along my head.

Tried again yesterday but this time I just did a blade 4 all over and it's better.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I gave it a shot a few weeks ago but couldnt get the side fade right and ended up with a very noticeable line halfway along my head.

Tried again yesterday but this time I just did a blade 4 all over and it's better.

In years to come a number 4 all over may come to be call a covid-19 haircut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Schorpio

For anyone still looking to pick up a (reasonably priced) clippers, I just picked up these Braun ones on Amazon - link. In stock (dispatched and sold by Amazon) for £40 at the time of writing.

No idea what they are like, will try to post an update when I get them.

If you can get the Wahl Super Taper it's a professional quality clipper which at €65 in around the same price you're paying for the home clippers.

The Wahl Elite Pro is similar but both are like hen's teeth in the last couple of weeks.

Terrisales was a popular option based upon recommendations in this thread as they're based in Ireland and deliver in 2 days but I think they've been cleaned out of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

All the reasonably priced Wahl clippers have been sold out in Ireland/UK, I've been looking for 2 days. I'm not gonna spend 100+ on hair clippers i'll use while quarantined and I dont have any intention in taking up cutting hair :pac: to get ROI.
    hardybuck wrote: »
    If you can get the Wahl Super Taper it's a professional quality clipper which at €65 in around the same price you're paying for the home clippers.

The Wahl Elite Pro is similar but both are like hen's teeth in the last couple of weeks.

Terrisales was a popular option based upon recommendations in this thread as they're based in Ireland and deliver in 2 days but I think they've been cleaned out of stock.

gazzamc wrote: »
    All the reasonably priced Wahl clippers have been sold out in Ireland/UK, I've been looking for 2 days. I'm not gonna spend 100+ on hair clippers i'll use while quarantined and I dont have any intention in taking up cutting hair :pac: to get ROI.

Yeah products were scarce in the last 2-4 weeks when I was looking, but I think a lot of people must have held out until they realised they weren't opening barbers until mid summer at the earliest. I've got very thick hair so was delighted to get the Super Taper for €65 which I'll certainly get ROI on.

It's frustrating that companies like Argos have an excellent range on their UK website available to buy. They offer a much more limited range in Ireland which have been sold out for probably a couple of months now, and don't allow delivery through Parcel Motel.

I think Ireland seems to be heavily reliant on the UK for electrical goods so this will be a preview for Brexit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Worst happens is you have to do a #3 all over. I think a #4 is too long, and a #3 is easier to do, the shorter you go the easier and quicker I find it. If you do a #1 and its a tiny bit longer in places its less noticeable than a "zero" which is a bit off, but if doing a zero its easy to rub your hand on your head to check if any place is missed.

Its no big deal, its not the 1990s where you might be refused from a pub with a #4 all over (this is no joke youngsters!), no pubs open anyways!. I know a guy who got I think a #2 or #3 all over for a charity shave and I think it was even less than 10 years ago, I was amazed that was still a thing! he has kept it that length ever since too. I think many will once the see the convenience of it, wake up good to go, no visits to the barber, let alone the expense.

Anybody who does a 3 or 4 all over should try to go a blade lower, it will be a blade longer in approx 1 week anyway. You get used to the new look quickly and will really notice how easier it is to do.

Posted this elsewhere
    rubadub wrote: »
    Not all clippers will be the exact same. I have a wahl balding professional clipper and highly recommend it.

I was bored and looking up blades the other day,

for Wahl (and most others) a #1 blade is 1/8" (3.2mm), #2 is 1/4" (6.35mm), #3 is 3/8" all going up 1/8" at a time, I thought there might have been bigger jumps between the higher numbers

Hair is meant to grow 6 inches a year, or just under 1/8" a week. So if you get a #1 it should be a #2 after 1 week. This may be useful for people confined at home who always wanted to see what they would be like with a closer cut, knowing that a #1 would be a #3 in 2 weeks. A change can seem drastic at first but you get used to it fast, I find shaving with a #1 is way easier than say a #3.

My wahl balding is meant to cut to 0.4mm with no blade (zero), while a standard wahl like is 0.8mm.

average growth is 0.43mm per day, so the day after shaving with the balding would be as long as if I had done a zero with a regular wahl. Facial hair grows at the same rate so its like my balding blade gives me the equivalent of 1 days growth after proper razor smooth shave, the standard wahl should be the same as 2 days growth if you had done a wet shave.

I use the wahl balding on my face, and that is the reason I wanted one that went a bit closer. The blades criss cross at twice the speed so it is faster to use. Some review show people cutting themselves with it, which is risk, I have not got a cut in ages.
    The balding wahl only comes with a 0.5 and a 1.5

Also CHECK THE BLADES, some lad in the bargains forum usually got a #6 in the barbers and put on a #2 by mistake, which is also marked 6mm, he scalped himself. But no big deal, I was wondering if he has stuck with it now. I hated the look of a grown out 4 all over, when you get down to a #2 it can never look messed up if you slept on it or whatever.

Check the other amazon sites too.

this one is €67,67 including delivery to Ireland from amazon spain. Says delivery by 19th may, and its usually quicker with amazon. I got something from amazon germany before the estimate just recently. It probably comes with a EU plug, so just change or use an adaptor.

https://www.amazon.es/Wahl-Close-Cut-Pro-Cortapelo/dp/B00V87K4FA/ref=sr_1_26?__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=wahl&qid=1588967564&sr=8-26&swrs=6EF5649604FEAEC61E405A3A2DEC60D6

It is £90 on amazon uk, EUR 121,21 with delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,004 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am selling a set of Remington PG3000 rechargeable hair trimmers.

Used once.

Pm me if anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I recommend the Remington QuickCut for anyone nervous about cutting their own hair.

I've used a few different clippers over the years and found it the easiest of the lot.

I recommend the Remington QuickCut for anyone nervous about cutting their own hair.

I've used a few different clippers over the years and found it the easiest of the lot.

I assume it has different settings ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

As in different comb lengths? Yeah, comes with 9 different combs/guards: (1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 9, 12, 15 mm)

Best checking out the videos on YouTube for a closer look at it. It's called the ShortCut in the States.

Here's the video that made me want one initially:

Here's the reviews on Amazon (where it's currently out of stock):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Remington-Clippers-Lengths-Trimming-Detailing/dp/B012F8MS9A

Got mine in Argos for €35 and so if interested keep an eye out for when they reopen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

As in different comb lengths? Yeah, comes with 9 different combs/guards: (1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 9, 12, 15 mm)

Best checking out the videos on YouTube for a closer look at it. It's called the ShortCut in the States.

Got mine in Argos for €35 and so if interested keep an eye out for when they reopen.

Yeah, I'll second the QuickCut as a really great bit of equipment. I only use it to do a no guard buzz cut if I want a break from razoring the head, but it's so quick and easy to use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I ordered one last Friday, cheapo Wahl thing. The seller on ebay hasn't dispatched yet, granted it's early. I'll keep an eye. I'm a little concerned as their page listings are now blank. The money has come off my card. Hopefully it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

We had a small hairy dog decided to clip him ,got a new dog clippers from Argos . dog went mad when we went near him .they were never taken out for years until Sunday and I asked wife would she try to cut my hair . The whole thing was a great job ,don"t be afraid dog clippers will do just as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In the same grooming vein, any suggestions for a general body trimmer and eyebrow trimmer?

The latter are starting to get a bit wild :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

flossy1 wrote: »
    We had a small hairy dog decided to clip him ,got a new dog clippers from Argos . dog went mad when we went near him .they were never taken out for years until Sunday and I asked wife would she try to cut my hair . The whole thing was a great job ,don"t be afraid dog clippers will do just as well

Hope she clipped your nails and did your glands while she was at it :P

The wahl pet trimmers are just relabelled regular ones (at least some are, the bog standard ones, there are professional kits too which are probably different). I saw a guy on amazon say he sent his back as it was just the same. You can check the spare parts and the blades are the exact same for lots of models.

You should really get clipper oil to maintiain them properly. Learn how to align & clean the blades. I sharpened mine recently and noticed the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

Bought a BaByliss one from power city 20+6 delivery took about a week to come but grand job.

You need to fix those links. ^^

eBay person has done a runner with my money, I think. No dispatch email and it was due to arrive by now. No response to my messages.

Ones on Amazon seem out of stock or don't ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

coldfire1x wrote: »

That Philips 7000 one seems to be over 100 everywhere else Philips.ie 120 Euro Amazon 115 Pounds etc.

Is it priced wrong on Argos possibly.

Just reserved one although it says it only has 4 hair attachments for 9 to 16MM ,can the other ones still be used on the head I wonder ?

it says it only has 4 hair attachments for 9 to 16MM ,can the other ones still be used on the head I wonder ?
    Yes, you could use whatever you want. Most people have no idea about mm hair lengths so they are just give you rough guides on what you would use where.

Each barber "blade" is usually 1/8 of an inch, so 3.175mm. (some sites will round these values and call a blade #1 3mm and a 2 a 6mm, but really most are american brands and so are really in inches, the blade #3 is usually said to be 10mm, a jump of 4mm but its down to rounding, it is really 9.525mm and they round up)

2 stubble combs (1 and 2 mm), 1 adjustable beard comb (3-7 mm), 3 hair combs (9, 12 and 16 mm)

So the 9mm is like a 2.83 blade, i.e. just under a blade #3.

16mm is #5

The 7mm is a #2.2 (if such a thing existed)

The 16mm is not that long. My Wahl came with a #8 which is 1 inch 25.4mm and that looks like you have not have your head shaved, just looks like a short scissor cut.

The wahl homecut is very good value in argos.
    https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&searchTerms=WAHL+HOMECUT&authToken=-1002%252CTb6zd56kFOpztp1WPmC9rktuDxQ%253D

well know quality brand, I was trying to see what they did to make it cheap but it looks like standard blades. Highest blade is a #6, if you want to go higher you can use a comb under the plastic blade to further elongate it.

I would not get a battery one, the battery will wear out and is usually not as powerful as a mains powered one in the first place, some can be used with the cord though which is good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement