Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appoint female mods in AH & CA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Can have a new forum for Virtue Signalling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Nosnon wrote: »
    I an of course making a joke. Kinda like this thread.

And there you have it, folks. A thread suggesting more female moderators in his forums is regarded by this AH & CA mod as a "joke."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

And there you have it, folks. A thread suggesting more female moderators in his forums is regarded by this AH & CA mod as a "joke."

It's not that it's a joke, it's that no one agrees with you.

Pretty much everyone is in agreement that a mod should be selected for the quality of their posts, being able to debate a point without getting nasty, etc. Not for what gender they happen to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It was clearly a joke, a woman would prepare hot nutritious meals, not just sandwiches.

Personally, I'd hoover and mop the place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It was clearly a joke, a woman would prepare hot nutritious meals, not just sandwiches.

Personally, I'd hoover and mop the place too.

Can you please mod my house? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Can you please mod my house? :D

Oh, I thought no one would ever ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

We need more women bin collectors, sewer workers and soldiers.

When those representation ratio gaps have narrowed, let's discuss the nice jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Pretty much everyone is in agreement that a mod should be selected for the quality of their posts, being able to debate a point without getting nasty, etc. Not for what gender they happen to be.

I completely agree. I've never suggested that a mod be selected for his or her gender alone.

But are female posters somehow less capable of making quality posts or debating respectfully?

If not, why is the ratio of male to female mods 10 to 0 in AH and 10 to 1 in CA?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Permabear II has left the building.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

It's 10 to 0 in AH and 10 to 1 in CA (with the "1" currently inactive). Even if you reduce that to 14 to 1 overall, accounting for duplicates, that's still an abysmal ratio. Note too that both Cmods for these forums are also male, as well as all currently active admins.
    What quota? I've never mentioned a "quota." In the interests of giving feedback, I stated that I believe it's desirable to have better representation of women on the mod teams for these large forums. The specifics of how to accomplish that is up for debate. The first step is to acknowledge that it's an issue that should be addressed — rather than something that should be ignored or rationalized away.
    I'm still waiting to hear your suggestion as to how to accomplish a more favourable ratio of M:F mods without deliberately choosing mods based on gender.
    I don't. You yourself stated above that 23 percent of mod appointments over the past year have been female, and that's what I was referring to.
    That is not the same thing as 23% of all mod appointments across the entire site being female which is how your previous post came across. Perhaps a case of semantics.
    By your own admission, not a single female poster has been asked to mod AH or CA over the past year, and fewer than 1 in 4 mod appointments across the site as a whole are female.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Holy rage quit Batman

• Subscribers Posts: 41,087 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

#ibelievehim

• Registered Users Posts: 11,879 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Hoboo wrote: »
    We need more women bin collectors, sewer workers and soldiers.

When those representation ratio gaps have narrowed, let's discuss the nice jobs.

Mod in CA, nice?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thank the gods that's over. I was feeling sorry for the office staff for having to entertain this nonsense. Certain individuals really should not be placated with the very attention they clearly, desperately crave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

if this thread has tought me anything its that i now want an account called Wuff Wuff with a dog avatar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

People should also consider that boards probably has more male posters so there'll obviously be more male mods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thank the gods that's over. I was feeling sorry for the office staff for having to entertain this nonsense. Certain individuals really should not be placated with the very attention they clearly, desperately crave.

I'm fully convinced that this thread was started in the worst of faith by someone who would otherwise be happily moaning constantly about feminism and gender quotas.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm fully convinced that this thread was started in the worst of faith by someone who would otherwise be happily moaning constantly about feminism and gender quotas.

Yeah, seemed like a very weird and unlikely crusade for the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

if this thread has tought me anything its that i now want an account called Wuff Wuff with a dog avatar

<sniff><snip>

Mod

Sorry but no barking in this forum for 3 months and 100 posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

He probably thought he could whip up some outrage and when that didn’t happen he quit.

Sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He probably thought he could whip up some outrage and when that didn’t happen he quit.

Sad really.

It's just depressing that someone I would normally respect hugely is now just pushing this poisonous culture war nonsense that we've imported wholesale from the US.

Any misogyny on the site should be clamped down on and hard at that. If the powers that be want to replace me with a female mod then that's their call and I'll fall in line but this just reeks of an attempt to demonise the people who run and maintain this site.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Thank god Permabear III won’t be allowed post in Feedback for 3 months.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Guys, can we stop the chatter about a user who is no longer a member of Boards now please?

Also, Wuff Wuff you need to be a member for 3 months and to have 50 posts to post in Feedback so please don't post back here until you meet these criteria. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Guys, can we stop the chatter about a user who is no longer a member of Boards now please?

Also, Wuff Wuff you need to be a member for 3 months and to have 50 posts to post in Feedback so please don't post back here until you meet these criteria. Thanks.

Jaysus Niamh, that's a bit wuff!!

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I haven't been on this forum too long but this must be the most bizarre thread I've read. It's riveting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    <sniff><snip>

Mod

Sorry but no barking in this forum for 3 months and 100 posts

ah here, Wuff Wuff was my new username idea. Doggone that poster for nicking it on me. I feel hounded now, this is wuff justice.

Just look at the sadness in my eyes

80025233-golden-retriever-puppy-on-floor-sad-dog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,098 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Interesting that we have 2 posters on this thread who have closed their account, one has had their username anonymised and the other hasn't. Is it a box-tick when closing, or what?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Interesting that we have 2 posters on this thread who have closed their account, one has had their username anonymised and the other hasn't. Is it a box-tick when closing, or what?

If uh ou ask for your data to be deleted its annonymised

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

The two largest and most active forums on Boards — After Hours and Current Affairs — are moderated almost exclusively by men.

AH has 10 mods, all of whom are male. CA has 11 mods, only one of whom is female — but she has not been active on Boards for 6 months, so for all intents and purposes, there are no female mods currently active in that forum either. In addition, both Cmods of these forums are also male. I don't know that we have any currently active female admins, either?

Meanwhile, a number of female posters have pointed out a misogynistic undercurrent to these forums that they believe mods don't take seriously.

Whether that's the case or not, it doesn't look good for Boards.ie that its two largest forums have a 20:1 ratio of male to female mods.

If a woman has an issue with sexism on one of these forums, she's told to talk to the (male) mods. If that fails, talk to the (male) Cmods. If that fails, talk to the (male) admins. She might be forgiven for feeling like it's the 1950s all over again.

Simple solution: Create a more equitable environment by appointing more female mods.

Men are capable of dealing with sexism. That's such a sexist viewpoint to both sexes actually to assume that women mods will automatically be better at dealing with sexism. Just because we have the same biological parts doesn't mean we have more in common with someone of the same sex when it comes to values, opinions, prejudices.
    As long as people can fulfil the role of mod, their sex is irrelevant. Sure, on certain topics posters might feel more comfortable with one over the other not for all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

One of them closed the old account so that they could immediately return with a funny new gimmick. The other one [redacted].

Advertisement