Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Appoint female mods in AH & CA

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's where you should have done the "they could have changed their name for the low low price of €5" plug :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's where you should have done the "they could have changed their name for the low low price of €5" plug :)
    I guess that places a value on 3 months of being able to post in Feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The two largest and most active forums on Boards — After Hours and Current Affairs — are moderated almost exclusively by men.

AH has 10 mods, all of whom are male. CA has 11 mods, only one of whom is female — but she has not been active on Boards for 6 months, so for all intents and purposes, there are no female mods currently active in that forum either. In addition, both Cmods of these forums are also male. I don't know that we have any currently active female admins, either?

Meanwhile, a number of female posters have pointed out a misogynistic undercurrent to these forums that they believe mods don't take seriously.

Whether that's the case or not, it doesn't look good for Boards.ie that its two largest forums have a 20:1 ratio of male to female mods.

If a woman has an issue with sexism on one of these forums, she's told to talk to the (male) mods. If that fails, talk to the (male) Cmods. If that fails, talk to the (male) admins. She might be forgiven for feeling like it's the 1950s all over again.

Simple solution: Create a more equitable environment by appointing more female mods.
    I agree.

There have been female mods in the past who've stepped down or closed their accounts.

I know women who were mods. Some of them found the atmosphere less than supportive. They too felt it was sexist. I am not saying that is why they left. But it's noticeable.

I wouldn't like to be a female mod here. You have an issue you are not addressing. Its a boys club.

And i say boys rather than men.

The gender distribution of mods is incidental and not by design.
    Why is that relevant?

Answer its not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Why is that relevant?

Answer its not.
    Niamh was simply replying to a question - that the lower number of female moderators here is not a deliberate policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Why is that relevant?

Answer its not.

If people are complaining about one gender being picked as mods over another then it couldn't be any more relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

This is it wrote: »
    If people are complaining about one gender being picked as mods over another then it couldn't be any more relevant.

Yeah but the poster that raised the issue was being all white knighty about it. They have since closed their account.

If it was a genuine issue, there would be plenty of posters giving actual solid examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Yeah but the poster that raised the issue was being all white knighty about it. They have since closed their account.

If it was a genuine issue, there would be plenty of posters giving actual solid examples.

I don't believe it's an issue, I'm simply pointing out that what Niamh said was absolutely relevant to the discussion.

Not that long ago, there were at least 3 female mods, and possibly 4, I can't remember if there was a crossover. Times move on, mods move on.

It's a nightmare to get anyone decent to mod a difficult forum, never mind purposely leaving out female posters for consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

He then casually announced, all incidentally of course, that he would happily mod CA.

If I were a cynical person I might think that white knighting wasn't the only intention ...

• Advertisement

If I were a cynical person I might think that white knighting wasn't the only intention ...

It never is :D

one wonders what yed do if a woman was made mod and then had radically opposing views on the topics on which ye presume her gender would dictate to her.

be great craic if nothing else.

one wonders what yed do if a woman was made mod and then had radically opposing views on the topics on which ye presume her gender would dictate to her.

be great craic if nothing else.

There have been a few female posters that fit that description over the years.... It's a mercy they weren't mods. Not because of their views but the way they expressed their views.

The power would have been too much for them :D

Advertisement