Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appoint female mods in AH & CA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They are chosen usually from the regular posters in a forum. So someone who already has an interest in the forum and it's subject and has made good contributions, is able to get along with others even while disagreeing with their opinion for example is a good choice.
    Usually Cmods will submit a list to Admins of who they think is suitable for a forum that needs a mod replacement. When approved, the person/people are asked if they would like to take it on or not.

If not, back to square one :)

Thanks but it poses another question for me.
    The Christianity forum seems to have mods parachuted in who had no previous engagement with the forum and who openly expressed their disbelief of God while long term posters were left wondering whats going on a times.. the only one I can remember on the forum who was a Christian mod was PDN.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

anewme wrote: »
    I do agree that a balance would be beneficial.

I still think it would be hard enough on the CA one, do many female posters engage with and enjoy that forum?

Niamh, if people are willing - can they put themselves forward as a mod?

It's not recommended no, it's not an application process, we choose who we think would be suitable and then ask if they are willing.

Thanks but it poses another question for me.
    The Christianity forum seems to have mods parachuted in who had no previous engagement with the forum and who openly expressed their disbelief of God while long term posters were left wondering whats going on a times.. the only one I can remember on the forum who was a Christian mod was PDN.

I don't want to start discussing other forums when this thread is for feedback re female mods in CA and AH but if there are no obvious and/or willing candidates from the regular posters of a forum, sometimes we'll look for mods of other forums to help out or come on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It's not recommended no, it's not an application process, we choose who we think would be suitable and then ask if they are willing.

That's why I believe finding a CA female mod would be a bit of a chicken and egg scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

anewme wrote: »
    It's one that requires an awful lot of work. For me, I'd call CA almost a no go area.

It would be a “nightmare” for anyone, male or female. But, you would have to say that they are doing a “bang up job” in there.

It’s actually the AH crowd who are letting the side down. Not moving threads over into that cesspit is causing far too many of the creatures spitting their “venom” all over the place.
    The CA/AH mod who posted above you has 2,842 posts since he signed up 7 years ago, and with all due respect to him, I'd hardly regard him as a noted contributor to either of these forums. I rarely come across a post from him that is not a mod instruction — and I can say the same thing about some other mods.

You say that like it’s a bad thing. I, personally, think mods should be afforded the anonymity of a “mod account” that they use when they are “on the clock”.

Some threads can get incredibly painful when you get the forum mods trying desperately, and failing miserably, to be funny. Would be great if they just “popped up” when their services are required.
    Then why mention the abuse that mods have to deal with in trying to explain why there are so few female mods?

Sorry, you and others can try to explain this away, or claim it doesn't matter — but a male to female gender ratio of 20:1 in the moderating teams of the site's two largest forums really doesn't present a good image for Boards in the year 2020. I'm not calling for gender quotas, but I believe these forums could both benefit from greater female representation at the moderating table.

You’ll have to forgive me if I have some reservations around this little “crusade” of yours, Prof. Would you, of all people, not be “threatened” by more female moderators?

Would they not target the more “rambunctious” young male posters and single them out for infractions all while leaving the young female posters focus diligently on their dainty little postings?

Here you are, calling for “change”, when in previous posts, in other forums, you seem to be all about preserving the old ways from being abused. It strikes me that this is at odds with these other opinions you hold so, you can see why someone, such as myself, might be a little sceptical of your “motives”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,716 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TBH I would not "inflict" CA on anyone. It's still in it's early days, but I would question who in their right mind (Male or female) would want to do it? (and I knows that questions my own "mind")

I've been a mod since it was created, but it requires a complete detachment from some of the topics to retain any sanity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

So there is no female mods because they cant handle the "abuse" mods get if any, get real. It's pure sexism and Male privilege to keep only Male mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Beasty wrote: »
    TBH I would not "inflict" CA on anyone. It's still in it's early days, but I would question who in their right mind (Male or female) would want to do it?

I honestly don't understand why people have such an issue with Current Affairs. I'd have no problem with modding that forum, personally.

However, the rhetoric here sounds like saying we're going to spare the poor women the horrors of war but send the men to the front lines. This may not be the intent, but people are coming across as saying that we shouldn't expect female mods of CA because what woman would take the abuse.

No one has said that women cannot mod the forums or that they should be protected over and above male mods, you are making that up and I'd thank you to stop deliberately misinterpreting posts.

I said it can be difficult to find mods (gender not mentioned).
    Contrary to popular belief, finding mods for incredibly busy forums where you are going to get abuse for over and/or under-moderating is very difficult.

I'm not "deliberately misinterpreting" anything. You are the one who introduced abuse into a discussion about why there are so few female mods in these forums.

It may well be difficult to find mods of either gender — but that doesn't explain the enormous gender disparity in the mods who are found. When the ratio is 20 male mods to 1 female across these two forums, it's reasonable to ask why there is such a huge disparity, and to suggest that it be addressed.

If women genuinely aren't interested in modding these forums, that's one thing. If they aren't getting the opportunity in the first place, that's another entirely. By your own admission, not a single female poster has been asked to mod AH or CA over the past year, and fewer than 1 in 4 mod appointments across the site as a whole are female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the only one I can remember on the forum who was a Christian mod was PDN.

Fanny Cradock and Benny_cake

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,716 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was not bringing gender into my prior post

Beasty wrote: »
    I was not bringing gender into my prior post

Well, gender is the topic of the thread. :)

Why, in your view, are there so few female mods in AH and CA — and what, if anything, do you think should be done about it?

I'm not "deliberately misinterpreting" anything. You are the one who introduced abuse into a discussion about why there are so few female mods in these forums.
    I did and it was in the context of how few mods had been offered a modship in AH & CA over the period of a year. It was not specific to why women are not in those positions but meant as a comment on why only 3 people were offered in the period of a year.
    It may well be difficult to find mods of either gender — but that doesn't explain the enormous gender disparity in the mods who are found. When the ratio is 20 male mods to 1 female across these two forums, it's reasonable to ask why there is such a huge disparity, and to suggest that it be addressed.
    It is 15 male mods to one female mod across those two forums, there is a crossover of 5 mods due to what I have mentioned before - initally some mods moving across to CA when it was separated from AH.
    Aside from choosing female users because they are female to fulfil this quota which I think we've agreed is not ideal, what is your suggestion for addressing this disparity?
    If women genuinely aren't interested in modding these forums, that's one thing. If they aren't getting the opportunity in the first place, that's another entirely. By your own admission, not a single female poster has been asked to mod AH or CA over the past year, and fewer than 1 in 4 mod appointments across the site as a whole are female.
    Not a single female poster and only 3 male posters. It's hardly overwhelming. There is no reason why we wouldn't ask a female user who fits the criteria and I'm sure it will occur in the future as it has in the past (in AH). Currently the most prolific posters in CA are all male and that probably reflects a general trend of mostly male users on the forum.
    fewer than 1 in 4 mod appointments across the site as a whole are female.
    How do you know the genders of mods across the site? I don't even know that, it's not information that we know or that is recorded anywhere.

It is 14 male mods to one female mod across those two forums, there is a crossover of 6 mods due to what I have mentioned before - initally some mods moving across to CA when it was separated from AH.

It's 10 to 0 in AH and 10 to 1 in CA (with the "1" currently inactive). Even if you reduce that to 14 to 1 overall, accounting for duplicates, that's still an abysmal ratio. Note too that both Cmods for these forums are also male, as well as all currently active admins.
    Aside from choosing female users because they are female to fulfil this quota which I think we've agreed is not ideal, what is your suggestion for addressing this disparity?

What quota? I've never mentioned a "quota." In the interests of giving feedback, I stated that I believe it's desirable to have better representation of women on the mod teams for these large forums. The specifics of how to accomplish that is up for debate. The first step is to acknowledge that it's an issue that should be addressed — rather than something that should be ignored or rationalized away.
    How do you know the genders of mods across the site?

I don't. You yourself stated above that 23 percent of mod appointments over the past year have been female, and that's what I was referring to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As a female mod who nodded the forum formerly known as the politics cafe, I have to say that at least 50% of the time posters assumed I was male

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Stheno wrote: »
    As a female mod who nodded the forum formerly known as the politics cafe, I have to say that at least 50% of the time posters assumed I was male

Were you treated any differently by that 50%, compared to the other half who were aware that you're a woman?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Were you treated any differently by that 50%, compared to the other half who were aware that you're a woman?

Not that I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Stheno wrote: »
    Not that I noticed.

And do you think having a woman mod the forum made a difference?

I'm just curious because I don't see the need for both genders to be represented, but others do, so I'm clearly missing something.

And do you think having a woman mod the forum made a difference?

I'm just curious because I don't see the need for both genders to be represented, but others do, so I'm clearly missing something.

No to be honest I never felt it made a difference

Now bear in mind I work on a team of 40 and am one of two women in that team so th as t may skew my perspective

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Op, may I suggest you come down from the very white and rather high horse you are on?

A man who takes it upon himself to try to rectify an issue on behalf of women, the vast majority of whom don't see it is an issue, is far more sexist than having all male moderators.

If woman had a significant issue with this, women are all very capable of raising the issue without any assistance.

The forum is used by mostly male user, so it's not surprising mods are more likely to be male.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

In all the years I have been on here I have never wondered nor cared about the gender of a mod.

Well, gender is the topic of the thread. :)

Why, in your view, are there so few female mods in AH and CA — and what, if anything, do you think should be done about it?

Speaking for CA I don't think anything needs to be done about it. I am not seeing anything in the forum warranting gender-specific modding. I mod there while not posting particularly regularly in a "regular" sense.

Having said that, outside of Cycling over 80% of posts I have made on the have been in relation to modding, cmodding and my admin responsibilities. I feel with CA being detached from the discussions is probably an advantage, but I'm not sure there are many more mod candidates out there who would want to moderate without extensive experience in the forum. It was a bit easier for those of us actively modding from the outset. However trying to keep on top of the likes of Gangland shootings. the election and coronavirus does require quite a commitment.

I think it's a difficult forum (probably the most difficult across the site) to moderate and any new mods may struggle to get their heads round things in there (which is also why Admins have had much higher modding profiles in the forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I see both sides and speaking just about AH and CA.

I definitely see the positives in having a female mod on AH as that forum has balanced posters for the most part and a different perspective is good and creates a barometer. How do we know if it would improve or not, if there is nothing to measure it against. I don't think that's casting anything negative against the mods that are there, it's just a different perspective.

Secondly, that other CA is poison, I feel for anyone modding it. Its all hate and trolls and American pua crap. It should be just consigned to the fires of hell.it adds no value really snd most people just see it s forum for those with a special set of challenges.

As someone else has said, there is a challenge with the hate threads being raised in AH and left there too long so the hateful posters skulk in and spread hate.

For example, why do women, why are women, at the moment we have "why do women wear feminist t-shirts" by a poster with 11 posts to their name. The reason these threads are raised in AH is to get to get at women , because women can and do post there. There would be no point in them raising these crappy women bashing posts in CA because there are little to none women there and they would be just left bitching to themselves. It is up to people to report these threads and posters. If you had a very harsh mod on CA, let's be honest, that forum would be pretty bare as the quality is very low. That's a reflection on posters, not mods. What actually is the standard of that forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

AH has 10 mods, all of whom are male. CA has 11 mods, only one of whom is female — but she has not been active on Boards for 6 months, so for all intents and purposes, there are no female mods currently active in that forum either. In addition, both Cmods of these forums are also male..

How do you know what sex, or gender, the mods are?

How do you know what sex, or gender, the mods are?
    No one can say for certain but there are definitely clues in posting patterns that can give a pretty good idea

Having said that there are a number of mods who I really have no idea of whether they are male or female, and I have no reason to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I honestly don't understand why people have such an issue with Current Affairs. I'd have no problem with modding that forum, personally.

Thats pretty clear. The whole thread reads like you pitching for a non existant mod vacancy.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thats pretty clear. The whole thread reads like you pitching for a non existant mod vacancy.

Drat. Rumbled again... I thought if I started a thread to suggest more female mods, they wouldn't notice that I was really pitching myself for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If it helps at all I happen to identify as a hermaphrodite dog and if I were to be made a mod I will change my username to Wuff Wuff and happily dole out misogyny and misandry to both genders in perfectly equal measure. Then everyone can be happy.

Problem solved, Wuff, Wuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

We most definitely do need a female mod in AH. The samiches the last one made are starting to run out and the place is very dusty.

I an of course making a joke. Kinda like this thread.

Advertisement