Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Sure, all the neighbors will be laughing at you......empty fields and the grass growing up over the ditches!!!

Feck the neighbours. May as well give something to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,154 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

farmer near me killed 2 year old Continental bullocks, they were R+ he got 3.6/kg the end of the week before last, they killed 350ish DW he averaged less than 1350/head. He bought them last spring for 700 euro after fees and transport. No margin there. For all the processors guff cow and bull kill is not dropping to any great extent neither is the kill in general. I say they are operating a two price system again. Any lad feeding cattle over the winter without a contract is an idiot I am sorry to say. I might get caught with a few that are gone by Christmas but feeding out into March and April or even late February costs are just too high to gamble. You would over winter those cattle for 100-120 euro on silage along and the grass will do the work then.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

farmer near me killed 2 year old Continental bullocks, they were R+ he got 3.6/kg the end of the week before last, they killed 350ish DW he averaged less than 1350/head. He bought them last spring for 700 euro after fees and transport. No margin there. For all the processors guff cow and bull kill is not dropping to any great extent neither is the kill in general. I say they are operating a two price system again. Any lad feeding cattle over the winter without a contract is an idiot I am sorry to say. I might get caught with a few that are gone by Christmas but feeding out into March and April or even late February costs are just too high to gamble. You would over winter those cattle for 100-120 euro on silage along and the grass will do the work then.

They must have been only runners at that money last spring and were too small to finish out of the shed this winter. I’d imagine they were ideal cattle to turn out to grass this spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Cavanjack wrote: »
    They must have been only runners at that money last spring and were too small to finish out of the shed this winter. I’d imagine they were ideal cattle to turn out to grass this spring.

They would have been well fit later in year. Weight pays. Minerals and good silage for winter and grass until July and a grain to flesh them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

. He bought them last spring for 700 euro after fees and transport. No margin there. .

€650 gross profit in one year. Must be a high cost system if they didn’t leave something. Practically doubled his money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Dunedin wrote: »
    €650 gross profit in one year. Must be a high cost system if they didn’t leave something. Practically doubled his money.

Maybe if they were bought in the backend and killed late in the year. The cost of fattening those cattle in the shed would have been high. Bass will put better figures on it than I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Dunedin wrote: »

Guess they were driven hard over winter to do what they did.

Must have been light last spring for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Maybe if they were bought in the backend and killed late in the year. The cost of fattening those cattle in the shed would have been high. Bass will put better figures on it than I would.

It’s about as good as it gets in any given year. 3.00 a day for for housed finishing €450. €100 for grazing, €50 for buying selling and dosing. Nothing for fixed costs, or mortality. It’s an expensive hobby is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Anyone get base price quotes for heifers ? does 3.40 sound like a piss take ?

Jjameson wrote: »
    It’s about as good as it gets in any given year. 3.00 a day for for housed finishing €450. €100 for grazing, €50 for buying selling and dosing. Nothing for fixed costs, or mortality. It’s an expensive hobby is all.

Finishing indoors is self flagellation.

• Advertisement

They were not runners they were March/April calves I think he bought them late January last year. They were not fancy Continental cattle a mixture of Salers and LM. Only saw them before slaughter and there is still a few to go. Would have been flaking cattle to go to grass this year and slaughter in July IMO.

50 euro got them to grass last year, I always cost grass at 100 for a season, vet and dosing transport to factory and slaughter fees 55euro, mortality 20euro, I know none died but you have to factor it in for when it will happen. He was feeding arable bales would you cost them at 35-40/ bale they are on it since early/mid November did they eat 100euro worth of them. He was.paying 280/ton for ration in bags, they got a shake at the back end outside and started.on 3kgs , they were build up to 5/day fairly fast about 180euro at that costing and 60euro for misc

That brings total costs to 550-580 euro. Ya there's a small margin of 70-100 euro. Could yhey have done better maybe maybe not. Could be have cut any costs, maybe he could have saved 20 euro on ration if on bulk or maybe nut was not good enough. But he did not overpay for them and neither he nor the man that bred them had anything out if them. If they were better cattle and cost 180 more would they slaughter that much heavier to make a higher margin a higher grade might add 20euro but you need 45kgs DW to break even on the rest of the cost.

Hard to see a lot of continental bullock tipping the 400kgs DW out if a shed at 2 years of age. Looking at agriland quotes processor's seem to be opening a two tier price system again. Smaller producer being hit hard but bigger lads getting 20c/kg more. And maybe ever higher depending on how many cattle smaller lads are supplying.
    Kill has not substantially dropped in any group of cattle last week yes kill is down about 2k but is that a seasonal drop from now to mid/June.

Normally I start feeding in 10-14days time, this year it can wait until May at least. Feeding for sub 4/kg base I'd stupid for a 3.5/kg base is just not on.

With Tesco's and the UK supermarkets have dropped there priced being paid for the UK market or we are bing ridden again. With factories can they extract more from the market if not we might as well close up shop.

At present price if it continue out into the summer I need to drop my store price by snother 100/head in the autumn. That means store Friesian will need to be a euro/kg to put it in context. It beginning to look like you cannot buy stores cheap enough and that is not the answer.

Except for COVID I say we should close the factories....maybe we should close them anyway. There is nothing to be lost by doing it at this stage

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

restive wrote: »
    Just got quoted 3.85 base underage Angus Bullock's. Kepak athleague.

wow.. I need to sit down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭epfff

oneten wrote: »
    Anyone get base price quotes for heifers ? does 3.40 sound like a piss take ?

Where can that be got?
    Id say 330 more tlikely he quote for Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Robson99

Are lads going to wake up and smell the coffee now ??
    Factories have been acting the bolix the last few weeks with the sheep men... now it's the beef mans turn. We are coming to the end of the shed cattle. Now is the time to leave them in the field for the summer and let them go to ****...
    Anyone see or hear from the IFA or BPM or are they both in quarantine ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Your right. memories of stock being in the fields for weeks last autumn and what happened for more weeks after are to recent for it to happen again.

They were not runners they were March/April calves I think he bought them late January last year. They were not fancy Continental cattle a mixture of Salers and LM. Only saw them before slaughter and there is still a few to go. Would have been flaking cattle to go to grass this year and slaughter in July IMO.

50 euro got them to grass last year, I always cost grass at 100 for a season, vet and dosing transport to factory and slaughter fees 55euro, mortality 20euro, I know none died but you have to factor it in for when it will happen. He was feeding arable bales would you cost them at 35-40/ bale they are on it since early/mid November did they eat 100euro worth of them. He was.paying 280/ton for ration in bags, they got a shake at the back end outside and started.on 3kgs , they were build up to 5/day fairly fast about 180euro at that costing and 60euro for misc

That brings total costs to 550-580 euro. Ya there's a small margin of 70-100 euro. Could yhey have done better maybe maybe not. Could be have cut any costs, maybe he could have saved 20 euro on ration if on bulk or maybe nut was not good enough. But he did not overpay for them and neither he nor the man that bred them had anything out if them. If they were better cattle and cost 180 more would they slaughter that much heavier to make a higher margin a higher grade might add 20euro but you need 45kgs DW to break even on the rest of the cost.

Hard to see a lot of continental bullock tipping the 400kgs DW out if a shed at 2 years of age. Looking at agriland quotes processor's seem to be opening a two tier price system again. Smaller producer being hit hard but bigger lads getting 20c/kg more. And maybe ever higher depending on how many cattle smaller lads are supplying.
    Kill has not substantially dropped in any group of cattle last week yes kill is down about 2k but is that a seasonal drop from now to mid/June.

Normally I start feeding in 10-14days time, this year it can wait until May at least. Feeding for sub 4/kg base I'd stupid for a 3.5/kg base is just not on.

With Tesco's and the UK supermarkets have dropped there priced being paid for the UK market or we are bing ridden again. With factories can they extract more from the market if not we might as well close up shop.

At present price if it continue out into the summer I need to drop my store price by snother 100/head in the autumn. That means store Friesian will need to be a euro/kg to put it in context. It beginning to look like you cannot buy stores cheap enough and that is not the answer.

Except for COVID I say we should close the factories....maybe we should close them anyway. There is nothing to be lost by doing it at this stage

I’d be Very disappointed with continental bullocks killing less than 400kg at 24 months. They must have done very little last summer at grass.
    I Bought 6 hungry plain Simmental bullocks last March for €750 in the yard @320kg and straight to grass.
    Killed them the first week in March. 405kg average r- and r=. They Averaged €1580 and ate about €220 of meal and average quality silage. These were plain cattle. If I had a u grade Charolais I’d expect more from them.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I’d be Very disappointed with continental bullocks killing less than 400kg at 24 months. They must have done very little last summer at grass.
    I Bought 6 hungry plain Simmental bullocks last March for €750 in the yard @320kg and straight to grass.
    Killed them the first week in March. 405kg average r- and r=. They Averaged €1580 and ate about €220 of meal and average quality silage. These were plain cattle. If I had a u grade Charolais I’d expect more from them.

were they on adlib

Slava Ukrainii

were they on adlib

No but they would have been eating 10kg for the last 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

epfff wrote: »
    Where can that be got?
    Id say 330 more tlikely he quote for Tuesday.

nenagh , but that was on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Theheff wrote: »
    Not saying lads should be selling there cattle for half nothing but if the factories are cutting the arse then you cannot expect guys to pay top dollar. I have bigger cattle to kill in the next few weeks that I fed all winter & more than lightly they will leave no profit. Guys are looking for crazy money for plain stock. I dont want to be shot for saying this but handy dairy stock would want to be at €1.50 /kg in the current climate.
    1.20 more like it to be very realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

The UK media, political classes, farmer groups and consumers giving hell to the English supermarkets for importing Polish beef. So much so they can't get rid of the beef off the shelves and have discounted by almost a third.

A very bad own goal scored by all companies involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

kk.man wrote: »
    The UK media, political classes, farmer groups and consumers giving hell to the English supermarkets for importing Polish beef. So much so they can't get rid of the beef off the shelves and have discounted by almost a third.

A very bad own goal scored by all companies involved.

Wouldn't happen here

Reggie. wrote: »
    Wouldn't happen here

Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

richie123 wrote: »
    1.20 more like it to be very realistic.
    Yes you might be right. I would imagine it would take a fare angus heifer to leave €1000 after her in the factory today. If lads are expecting €650 for 300 to 350 kgs cattle & keep the animal for up to 12 months to get fit to kill. Thats not good business but I am sure lads will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    Nothing

I wonder why they aren't throwing out the Irish stuff, It shouldn't be there either.
    Same thing really

wrangler wrote: »
    I wonder why they aren't throwing out the Irish stuff, It shouldn't be there either.
    Same thing really

You do have a point but in fairness to the British consumer they have a certain loyalty to the Irish product. They will buy their own first and Irish second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭straight

Same thing really

British isles sure

Same thing really

They obviously don't see it as such, lifetime on the shelf, history etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭straight

straight wrote: »
    British isles sure

I saw an article on Facebook, I think it was from the ,<mod snip while we check the source?>. They were blaming the beef protests for the reason there is polish meat on our shelves. It's like blaming the rape victim for wearing a short skirt. Fair maddening **** they wrote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

straight wrote: »
    I saw an article on Facebook, I think it was from the farmers journal. They were blaming the beef protests for the reason there is polish meat on our shelves. It's like blaming the rape victim for wearing a short skirt. Fair maddening **** they wrote.

Yea, the dealer claimed it was payback time for the protests.
    However it's common knowledge that the British catering trade is supplied from poland and with the reduction in demand there the meat would've had to go to the supermarkets.........probably at a good price rather than sending it back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement