Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My spin today...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭prunudo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Another Coillte factory site, now looking like after a nuke went off.... Should be fun in the wind/rain with no trees there anymore..

Yeah, shame to see, be nice if they started building bike trails in forests that lasted longer than 40 years. But then, Coillte are in the buisness of making money from felling trees not building recreational facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Have they kept the Ticknock trail in reasonable condition after the felling in that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Yeah the felling was all on private land on the side of the hill facing Dun Laoghaire / Killiney so official Ticknock trails not affected. In fact, around the the same time as the felling, they did new works on the existing trails (subject of debate whether this is an improvement or not) and have now added a new trail that joins Metro to the Biking.ie hut (that new final section to the hut got a name yet??).

So short answer is yes - Ticknock offical trails are fine

The unofficial trails did not fare so good and I'd say we lost about 2/3 really nice trails - hopefully not forever though! Ticknock still a great place to ride, just needs a bit of work, this winter should be telling if the old trails are resurrected or new ones emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The final bit to the hut is called "Home Run", if that's the section you're talking about. edit; nope, I'm talking about Ballinastoe.

I was in a place in the midlands during the summer where I'd go running every time I was staying there. I came across a few unoffical MTB trails when I'd be running off road and last time I was there this year there was some tree felling. The felled trees were stacked across the MTB trails more or less obliterating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

jvan wrote: »
    Coillte are in the buisness of making money from felling trees not building recreational facilities.

Which is an outdated and misguided policy that they have when attracting tourists should be the main aim and recreational users with facilities for them. Though I guess they have to fight local residents also who will object to any facilities being built to accommodate recreation.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    The felled trees were stacked across the MTB trails more or less obliterating them.

It's also Coillte policy to remove any unofficial trails from there forests, the main attitude is "Well we built you some trails, now be happy with your lot"

It's a bit like councils building cycle paths, and then it being made illegal to cycle on the road, even if the road is better and more direct etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

They're a semi-state body so there is unfortunately no incentive for them to go and do anything innovative and groundbreaking to make more profit. Maintaining the status quo is what they are all about and selling cheap sh*tty pine that's good for nothing more than fence posts and pallets. Sadly the state has entrusted them to be responsible for outdoor recreation on forest land but given them zero incentive to get off their collective holes to do anything about it. The new trail centre in the Slieve Blooms is a result of 10 years of lobbying from local businesses and politicians.

A number of years ago they created an offroad cycling strategy document where they laid out a plan to create a number of national and regional trail centres and work with clubs to show how they can create trails on Coillte land that would be acceptable to them. They then proceeded to use that document as a stick to beat down any potential projects that were suggested to them.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It's also Coillte policy to remove any unofficial trails from there forests, the main attitude is "Well we built you some trails, now be happy with your lot"

It's a bit like councils building cycle paths, and then it being made illegal to cycle on the road, even if the road is better and more direct etc.

That might be their policy, but thankfully they are not implementing it. Ticknock, Djouce & Ballinastoe being examples of it not being implemented.

They could be a lot worse in relation to MTB, and other outdoor pursuits

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Sadly the state has entrusted them to be responsible for outdoor recreation on forest land but given them zero incentive to get off their collective holes to do anything about it.

A number of years ago they created an offroad cycling strategy document

Yea there needs to be a separation from growing and harvesting pine into a greater use, the demand for facilities and outdoor recreation definitely exceeds the small profits they can make selling tress for paper mache.

That was a complete joke from what I recall also, was more like a Coillte Dictat.

steamsey wrote: »
    That might be their policy, but thankfully they are not implementing it. Ticknock, Djouce & Ballinastoe being examples of it not being implemented.

Are you sure about that?

Ticknock used to have a fine network of unofficial trails, the majority of which are now destroyed by felling and being blocked off during the construction of the official trails.

Djouce, for the most part remains intact, I reckon that the current crop of MTB'ers are doing a good enough job of cutting Strava lines all over the original trails as it is.

Ballinastoe is currently going through harvesting so any trails in that area will be gone. Not that there was a massive network of trails after the trail center was constructed anyways.

• Advertisement

I'd say that if their policy is to remove unofficial trails, then they are doing an awful job!

The felling on Ticknock this year that ruined a lot of the old trails was on private land as we all know

I've not seen Coillte ruin too many of the Ticknock trails at all - a few casualties maybe but nothing that looks like a policy being implemented

I'd say that if their policy is to remove unofficial trails, then they are doing an awful job!
    The felling on Ticknock this year that ruined a lot of the old trails was on private land as we all know
    I've not seen Coillte ruin too many of the Ticknock trails at all - a few casualties maybe but nothing that looks like a policy being implemented

There's not much left really, apart from the few used in the Enduro races, which are now almost unrideable due to overuse and the weather..

Along the side of the lower metro they blocked up unofficial trails.

Was up Ticknock today earlier in the cracking weather. Did Tom's climb and the Euroservices lads were out working on it - as Tenzor had said. They were digging a trench to the right of the trail for water run off. Euroservices was fine - one or two bits filled in but nothing that would catch you out - they've obviously been working on it too but not much. Then went up and did Euroskeptic, then back up to it and jumped off it onto Bacon n Cabbage which was pretty slippery - nearly came off. Is not in bad nick but will need a break over the winter.

Then did lower Metro which is continuing to bed in nicely and then over to Dream Track which is riding really well and is clearly being well looked after so cheers to whoever is looking after it! Eyed up the gap jump as usual and pedalled on! Then was messing around right at the bottom of the trail and went back to do a tiny little jump which I usually overshoot so this time I was too slow, rear wheel landed square on the far lip, and I destroyed my rim. DING. €150 for a crappy little jump and no bike for a while.....might dig out the old XC bike for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Anyway, managed to get a few hours over the weekend to head to the Ballyhoura's. I did the Brown loop followed by the Green (sucker for punishment or I didn't think of the cut on the White until I was almost finished the Brown).

Any sheltered north facing slope still had frost on the ground. Any open ground was a little bit wet from the frost (melted or not). Anything under trees was generally dry. Its much smoother Inn the way down and most of the horrid stuff on the "unnecessarily rocky road" is gone under a new surface. The big loose stones to the log wasn't too bad even. It had been months since I was there last.

As the surface has improved so much, I'm thinking a night spin up there is next. Yes I'm a bit soft when it comes to the really gnarly stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ianobrien wrote:
    As the surface has improved so much, I'm thinking a night spin up there is next. Yes I'm a bit soft when it comes to the really gnarly stuff.....

We all start somewhere, must take a trip there soon, it's been a couple of year's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Was down in Kilkenny for the weekend and went to Knockdrinna Woods near Knocktopher. I'd only been there once before, but any of the trails I did before have been almost totally destroyed by felling. Only a few sections intact. Shame as it was a nice little spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

ianobrien wrote: »
    Anyway, managed to get a few hours over the weekend to head to the Ballyhoura's. I did the Brown loop followed by the Green (sucker for punishment or I didn't think of the cut on the White until I was almost finished the Brown).
    Try the Purple next time. Its the Brown + Tech 1 & 2, plus a couple of small bits of White. About 27km all-in. ;)

Any sheltered north facing slope still had frost on the ground. Any open ground was a little bit wet from the frost (melted or not). Anything under trees was generally dry. Its much smoother Inn the way down and most of the horrid stuff on the "unnecessarily rocky road" is gone under a new surface. The big loose stones to the log wasn't too bad even. It had been months since I was there last.

What a difference a week makes. I did the Brown again today. The amount of leaf litter was massive compared to last week. Then to top of off, the leaf litter was wet making it quare slippy when the wet leaves were on rocks (and usually in the braking zone. Its mainly on the areas closest to the car park. The areas that were dry under the trees last week were slightly wet today but mainly had plenty of grip. Grip was a bit variable on the wet rocks......

Anyway, enjoyed myself, even if I got a few wobbles on the way down. I didn't come off, so it was a good day.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Try the Purple next time. Its the Brown + Tech 1 & 2, plus a couple of small bits of White. About 27km all-in. ;)

I'm thinking of that for next weekend I'll report back........

Did it yesterday with a friend. Both hired the full suspension Trek electric bikes (hadn't been out for 2 weeks, and fighting a head-cold so knew I wouldn't have been able for the climbing). Very wet in a lot of places, but great fun. Being a dumbass I was checking the weather so never thought what way the ground might be even if its wasn't raining so got pretty wet & muddy. Tech loops had a blanket of pine needles making navigation a little more difficult in spots as they don't seem to be used that often, and plenty of leaves everywhere, but nothing too hairy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Captingoogle

Went to the Ballyhouras today first time in a cycling capacity. I used to frequent years ago on motorcycles. Found the downhill sections as much fun if not not more than a motocrosser until probably 2k from the end of the trail I hit a rut and my left hand left the bars and i ended up in a tree🙈

Great morning other than that 😁

That looks sore.

I was up Ticknock yesterday just before the rain came down. Stuck to official trails as it was so wet on the ground and want to try to leave the natural trails alone when it's that bad. The new bottom loop was a lot wetter than expected - there was a massive puddle at the start of it - thought being so new it would drain better. But the grip on it was great - its bedded in nicely now and the wet seems to have really helped grip. Still prefer the old one but able to enjoy the new one now at least. Absolutely jammed up there again yesterday - great to see but parking is close to becoming an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I was there around the same time yesterday, and was hard to find a parking spot. Absoutely packed with walkers and bikers.

I actually thought the trails were good considering the rain we got. Also saw the massive puddle at the start of metro, but I was in Ballinastoe on Saturday and that was just a series of lakes. Ticknock fared much better in my opinion.

That looks sore.

I was up Ticknock yesterday just before the rain came down. Stuck to official trails as it was so wet on the ground and want to try to leave the natural trails alone when it's that bad. The new bottom loop was a lot wetter than expected - there was a massive puddle at the start of it - thought being so new it would drain better. But the grip on it was great - its bedded in nicely now and the wet seems to have really helped grip. Still prefer the old one but able to enjoy the new one now at least. Absolutely jammed up there again yesterday - great to see but parking is close to becoming an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There won't be a dry ride in sight until April now! :eek:

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I was there around the same time yesterday, and was hard to find a parking spot. Absoutely packed with walkers and bikers.

I actually thought the trails were good considering the rain we got. Also saw the massive puddle at the start of metro, but I was in Ballinastoe on Saturday and that was just a series of lakes. Ticknock fared much better in my opinion.

I always had in my head that B-Stoe drained pretty well - obviously not anymore. I'd imagine that Djouce was a mud fest.

I've never seen Ticknock so busy as it has been this year - I wonder how it's gotten so popular so quickly. The amount of mountain bikers was nuts - and a lot of newbies too which is great to see. One lad in cotton tracksuit bottoms - I'd say he'll only make that mistake once. And a fair few kids with dads. I'd say the biking.ie hut is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Huge increase in the amount of women biking the last 12 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭prunudo

I believe Ballinastoe was pretty quiet yesterday, plenty of parking to be had mid morning.
    Might use this change in weather to explore Ticknock, have wanted to go up before but have never been.

Reporting back, I chickened out. I went but wasn't feeling great so only did the Green a few times. The logic was that if I I had enough, I wasn't too far from home. It was fair wet and sloppy in places, good fun.

My right knee is sore though. It didn't like the pounding from the downhill sections.....

Would the Tech loops be doable on a hardtail? I've a Trek Procaliber (more of a XC bike) or would it be better to hire a FS bike for it?

Would the Tech loops be doable on a hardtail? I've a Trek Procaliber (more of a XC bike) or would it be better to hire a FS bike for it?
    2 of the lads I ride with swear by their hard-tails in Ballyhoura. I ride one too.

Tech loops are obviously easier with a FS with the amount of jumps and rock gardens, but if you're not trying to set records then a hardtail is well able for the terrain too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATZiZmYAZC1hMTNhLWEyODYtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADExjABojGhUakrPsLk6iCwAcAwYhBGabtDU25ohVMsjwW%2FwAAAgEMAAAAwYhBGabtDU25ohVMsjwW%2FwAB%2BrQgJwAAAAESABAA1fqTEhretUCQ6bXfitdZ0Q%3D%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20181112.03&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=oFngPPg75k2QOa4DiNx7thBTp7-FTdYYznmP3uyR7CVNR5DofdpNapRWwzGgcX_5FSDGPacFwqg.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.eyJ2ZXIiOiJFeGNoYW5nZS5DYWxsYmFjay5WMSIsImFwcGN0eHNlbmRlciI6Ik93YURvd25sb2FkQDg0ZGY5ZTdmLWU5ZjYtNDBhZi1iNDM1LWFhYWFhYWFhYWFhYSIsImFwcGN0eCI6IntcIm1zZXhjaHByb3RcIjpcIm93YVwiLFwicHJpbWFyeXNpZFwiOlwiUy0xLTI4MjctNDQyMzY1LTI3MDQ5NzQ0NzBcIixcInB1aWRcIjpcIjE4OTk5NDU5MTI4Njk1MTBcIixcIm9pZFwiOlwiMDAwNmJmZmQtYTEzYS1hMjg2LTAwMDAtMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAwXCIsXCJzY29wZVwiOlwiT3dhRG93bmxvYWRcIn0iLCJuYmYiOjE1NDI1NjY0NjUsImV4cCI6MTU0MjU2NzA2NSwiaXNzIjoiMDAwMDAwMDItMDAwMC0wZmYxLWNlMDAtMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAwQDg0ZGY5ZTdmLWU5ZjYtNDBhZi1iNDM1LWFhYWFhYWFhYWFhYSIsImF1ZCI6IjAwMDAwMDAyLTAwMDAtMGZmMS1jZTAwLTAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMC9hdHRhY2htZW50Lm91dGxvb2subGl2ZS5uZXRAODRkZjllN2YtZTlmNi00MGFmLWI0MzUtYWFhYWFhYWFhYWFhIn0.YyzCkpnitRKvrwZw22dV1exaiP6CNkg4vRoIp0K-j-3oME0S3Hd9NQjSEml_hD-8txaQZD4u21lbQV15ZbxfbheDjyrCujkzIPRrkTzs0auwkCSSPYb5eko3Q0QEe7_bb_4j-mRl79ZCneonIPb2fooIsHWgx7x8sPYhYeVTQTleC369qKfVDoGFnmx5xV0Qdz2eqXox4EmoVX_Yksv1E8R4yE6-pd07-BtLQquHUaqHgzzRHXBRQkXH9rTfDz3heX5kcOu2pj010M57AF2eavOK0dQjG70Dds7bAgrnN8QVyXhe1AE6jNOqcwwqOYjOr-WPX6ZssER8SZewoOxhDw&animation=true

From the famous log at Ballyhoura today. Only did the brown loop to get a feel for the bike but very happy with it. Successful day out, and apologies for the huge poor image. I must figure out how to resize my images :pac:

Advertisement