Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My spin today...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

That bike is the nuts. Every time you post a pic I'm off daydreaming thinking "What if I had a bike like that..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Possedion wrote: »
    took crappy spill on the metro section this am... those double bumps. cracked my helmet. glad had full face bell super.

While it's a super fun trail, the speeds you can hit on Metro make any crash a big one! Glad you're ok at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

took crappy spill on the metro section this am... those double bumps. cracked my helmet. glad had full face bell super.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are ok.

I am fairly new to mountain biking my self and always feel like I am going to crash when i hit them fast.

What is the correct technique? Are they supposed to be jumped?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

coach22 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you are ok.

I am fairly new to mountain biking my self and always feel like I am going to crash when i hit them fast.

If you're carrying speed into them they're always easier to double if you can. Otherwise less speed and soak them up. The crashes usually occur when lads barrel into them with no intention of jumping and get bucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭covey123

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Christ I hate these things out on the trails I'd almost prefer the lad with the head phones in. I was out on a spin recently with a lad that had one and played gangster rap for an hour we all pulled the pin early as our heads were melted.

Gotta play the same game,pull up beside him and blast out some death metal.... better still,Grime!!if that doesn't clear him there is no hope for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Night run in The GAP. Nice and dry, reds and blacks running great. Blues a bit gravelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

Hate those double bumps, I'm not quite brave/fast enough to double them so just ruin the trail for me, should have been equivalent table tops so I could work up to them

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

xxyyzz wrote: »
    A fun little loop I rode on my lunch break today

iiHBWAz.jpg
    YrdNye5.jpg

Where is your office ? "I want to work there "
    Rides like that on the doorstep.:D:D:D:D:D

saccades wrote: »
    Hate those double bumps, I'm not quite brave/fast enough to double them so just ruin the trail for me, should have been equivalent table tops so I could work up to them

What speed are you hitting them at? I'd run Metro 1 in about 4.45 and just roll over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

coach22 wrote: »

Just make sure your weight isn't too far over the front, pull up on the bars, and launch off the first one and your back wheel should touch the top of the second one, try do that from the center right of the bumps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Christ I hate these things out on the trails I'd almost prefer the lad with the head phones in. I was out on a spin recently with a lad that had one and played gangster rap for an hour we all pulled the pin early as our heads were melted.

A young lad in his teens? Back in January I met 2 guys coming down the walking trail by the Ticknock Halt ruin and the noise of the stuff one of them was playing from a speaker attached to his handle bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

Big Nasty wrote: »
    What speed are you hitting them at? I'd run Metro 1 in about 4.45 and just roll over them.

Dunno, it's a step up in speed from being able to roll to being able make the jump that I'm not comfortable with.

Wouldn't worry about casing if they were equivalent table tops.

It's not the end of the world but I really liked the old metro 1 and think the new version is a bit ****e compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

saccades wrote: »
    Dunno, it's a step up in speed from being able to roll to being able make the jump that I'm not comfortable with.

Wouldn't worry about casing if they were equivalent table tops.

It's not the end of the world but I really liked the old metro 1 and think the new version is a bit ****e compared.

Agree thoroughly. Loved the old one. The new one is far less fun IMO. Maybe it will wear down a bit and develop a few features over time.

Was up the GAP yesterday. Got there very late, 4.30pm so no time for uplifts which finished at 5. Just got the pedal-up pass and got about 5/6 runs in. The pedal up is grand - about 10 mins from the bottom. Love that Sacred Stones trail - short but a lot of fun.

From the main drop up point - there's a blue then left into a red - love that red. Some very fast jumps.

All trails riding very well up except a fair bit of wear on one section of the red - Byrner - which caught me out a bit.

They've put in a few jumps along the top - the bit that goes from main drop off point over to the other black/red trails. Pretty good fun but there's a small gap jump over rocks that I didn't have the cojones to do yesterday. Have to get it next time I'm up before it becomes built up into a thing in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

steamsey wrote: »
    Was up the GAP yesterday. Got there very late, 4.30pm so no time for uplifts which finished at 5. Just got the pedal-up pass and got about 5/6 runs in. The pedal up is grand - about 10 mins from the bottom. Love that Sacred Stones trail - short but a lot of fun.

From the main drop up point - there's a blue then left into a red - love that red. Some very fast jumps.

Easy rider feeding left into Witches Cauldron, dropping you out to the left and just below Sacred Stones. You can get some ridiculous speeds up on Easy rider & Witches Cauldron; can't wait to get back for a visit in June \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭prunudo

Lemming wrote: »
    Easy rider feeding left into Witches Cauldron, dropping you out to the left and just below Sacred Stones. You can get some ridiculous speeds up on Easy rider & Witches Cauldron; can't wait to get back for a visit in June \m/

Probably my favourite 3 trails up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

jvan wrote: »
    Probably my favourite 3 trails up there.

Not sure if I could name favourites; I'd be naming half the trails on the mountain for different reasons :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Gerry

I would agree that those are the three best. The first red after the blue has brilliant jumps and is a fairly natural trail for a bike park. Sacred stone is addictive. You can always pedal up and hit it again and then get the next uplift.

Has Ticknock had some work done to some sections since mid winter? I was up there this week and I thought that some sections and turns had some gravel added since I was last there. Either that or my front end control has gone to crap as I had a couple of little slips on some bends.

Exposed hardcore is loose due to the dry weather.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was thinking it might be something to do with that, it certainly doesn't help in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Been hitting up Tracton a lot lately. Hard not to these days with the weather. Was down there 3 times this week and I'm seeing a nice improvement in my riding. I can ride around the brown and white in ballyhoura fairly comfortably but the short sharp climbs around tracton are testing me. My gearing isnt helping but last night I found myself climbing sections where previously id be hiking the bike. My descending into tight switchbacks has improved also where previously id have to awkwardly stop and shuffle the bike around. The trails down there are in good condition at the moment thanks to the dry weather so the rooty sections are no big deal.

Euroskeptic closed today. Signage saying due to forestry activity. Didn't check it out - I followed the diversion which is back to just before aerials. Waste of time climbing Tom's until this is re-open. Also seems to be a foot race happening soon - signs going up around the place so might be some closure etc over the weekend.

I think I remember reading something about tree felling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I think I remember reading something about tree felling

I think there is felling going on during the week but not at weekends

Euroskeptic closed today. Signage saying due to forestry activity. Didn't check it out - I followed the diversion which is back to just before aerials. Waste of time climbing Tom's until this is re-open. Also seems to be a foot race happening soon - signs going up around the place so might be some closure etc over the weekend.

Is it back open again, thinking of heading that way over the weekend?

jvan wrote: »
    Is it back open again, thinking of heading that way over the weekend?

Officially no but I rode it twice during the week without issue or obstruction. This was after 6pm, well after the forestry workers had finished.

Officially no but I rode it twice during the week without issue or obstruction. This was after 6pm, well after the forestry workers had finished.

Officially still closed yesterday.

Officially still closed yesterday.

Yeah, was up there yesterday, looks like some of the enduro stages took a bit of a hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gnarbarian

Sorry for posting here but didn't really want to start a new thread...
    Thinking of heading to the Gap over Easter but I was wondering if anyone can help me on a couple questions...
    When renting out bikes do you need to call in advance first and how long in advance? 24hrs?
    Also I would be happy to pedal up instead of using the uplift service but I was wondering how much of a climb is it to the top? I need to know because I will be accompanied by 2 newbies..
    Thanks.

Advertisement