Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

boggerman1 wrote: »
    How to fcuk can you have no symptoms for the thing and be spreading a thing at the same time.people really have been hoodwinked by this.how many people do people here know have either had the thing or died from it.I’m from a average sized town in Tipperary.i’ve only heard of one person in this parish that had it and no deaths.about 3 other people that I’ve heard off from neighbouring parishes had it as well.

You should look up the story of typhoid Mary for what asymptomatic spread can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

New Home wrote: »
    Face shields on their own are pretty useless:
    Thats kinda common sense, but how are they at protecting the wearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Correct. The rate of growth has slowed markedly since schools reopened. Remember that infections this week arise from contact over the previous 2 weeks, given the incubation period. Thanks for sharing the data.

Thank Spookwoman!
    I know we had an massive influx of testing when Laois, Offaly and Kildare went into lockdown, I think we seen the same when schools opened. Massive panic to get tested. We've probably seen the same with Dublin recently and maybe Donegal next. There's probably a baseline when people will decide to get tested, when schools reopened or a country goes into lockdown, that threshold probably drops.

New Home wrote: »
    Face shields on their own are pretty useless:

visor-plastic-face-shield-not-working-study-florida-atlantic-university-1-2-5f6c42f69606e__700.jpg

Article here. https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/articles/face-shield-study.php
    Thats kinda common sense, but how are they at protecting the wearer?

From direct spitting? Ya know those people who can spit and it's all concentrated in one blob, the rest of us make a mess and sprays everywhere.

Anyway, the HSA advised visors and masks for meat factory workers, if both couldn't be worn they advised a mask over a visor.
    Meat factory owners took that as it was ok to just wear a visor, and low and behold LOKDown was trending!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Wolf359f wrote: »
    rolling 7 day week case totals (courtesy of Spookwoman)
    25/09/2020 2076 - 20% increase
    18/09/2020 1726 - 36% increase
    11/09/2020 1269 - 72% increase
    04/09/2020 736 - 14% increase
    28/08/2020 840 - 7% decrease
    21/08/2020 781 - 46% increase
    14/08/2020 533 - 31% increase
    07/08/2020 406 - 81% increase
    31/07/2020 224

While I like this, I do wonder if there are numbers held back what the effects will be.

• Advertisement

rolling 7 day week case totals (courtesy of Spookwoman)
    25/09/2020 2076 - 20% increase
    18/09/2020 1726 - 36% increase
    11/09/2020 1269 - 72% increase
    04/09/2020 736 - 14% increase
    28/08/2020 840 - 7% decrease
    21/08/2020 781 - 46% increase
    14/08/2020 533 - 31% increase
    07/08/2020 406 - 81% increase
    31/07/2020 224
    While I like this, I do wonder if there are numbers held back what the effects will be.

Numbers are held back all the time, so I wouldn't expect much difference, it's a rolling 7 day stat. On the held back, they are held back until they validate the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

How to fcuk can you have no symptoms for the thing and be spreading a thing at the same time.people really have been hoodwinked by this.how many people do people here know have either had the thing or died from it.I’m from a average sized town in Tipperary.i’ve only heard of one person in this parish that had it and no deaths.about 3 other people that I’ve heard off from neighbouring parishes had it as well.

Because virus is the boogeyman :pac:

It's just like HIV and ya don't have to have unprotected sex, just cough/sneeze etc... and Coronavirus is killing more than HIV this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,624 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

growleaves wrote: »
    You are radically over-estimating the ability to exercise political control over a microbial infection.

The cases increased because a respiratory virus is endemic in the population. Everyone will get it eventually.

There's a difference in outcome between everyone getting it eventually and everyone getting it simultaneously.

One of those outcomes collapses the health service.

Arghus wrote: »
    There's a difference in outcome between everyone getting it eventually and everyone getting it simultaneously.

One of those outcomes collapses the health service.

'A slow burn' the new herd immunity phrase.
    We can't even control the spread, let alone a controlled burn.
    Would take years, I wish these 'cattle ranchers' would give figures and a time frame.

• Advertisement

'A slow burn' the new herd immunity phrase.
    We can't even control the spread, let alone a controlled burn.
    Would take years, I wish these 'cattle ranchers' would give figures and a time frame.

We managed to control the spread during the first wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/International/coronavirus-cases-explode-india-struggles-flatten-curve/story%3fid=73080777

A staggering 380 doctors in India have died of covid, not just healthcare workers but only doctors. In comparison at least 900 healthcare workers in the US have perished, although this figure includes not only doctors but any medical professional so India's is probably far higher than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hmm, whatever, but coming out with this study after a whole heap of worldwide talk about visors being useless smacks of jumping on the bandwagon. Prefer to have heard them saying this in July. (waits for someone to tell me they did ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Anyone who doesn't like covid talk on the late late show, please don't complain, just switch off your TV

You'd say that regardless of the views expressed, or the views expressed are nicely negative?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

growleaves wrote: »
    You are radically over-estimating the ability to exercise political control over a microbial infection.

The cases increased because a respiratory virus is endemic in the population. Everyone will get it eventually.
    Heh, fire away and get it there so. Talk about normalization. Covid is not something I or anyone I know intends on getting and we're acting accordingly (except one of my very good friends, who thinks it's a hoax because he always hated the government that little bit more than the rest of us and resents being controlled).

"Political focus shifts as Government desperately tries to avoid new lockdown" is the headline here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/political-focus-shifts-as-government-desperately-tries-to-avoid-new-lockdown-1.4364923

Personally I think it's a load of boIlocks. They knew weeks ago the ramifications of this. They started their stupid experiment and thought they'd be different, thought they could follow the Swedish model. Now they're backpedalling as fast as they can. It's pathetic that they're so callously gambling with public health.

They were only just about barely elected, so it's fair to say that they give about as much of a sh!t about us as we do about them. It's an entire government based on mistrust and spin. Of course this is playing out the way it has been. The main concern is what will the next blunder be which sends many of us into disaster?

If the economy is so f'd let's just agree to abandon it for the year and focus everything on what we have internally. We have loads going for us. There's huge potential. The main stopping point is parents who probably should have considered that they might have to look after their kids at some point before having them.

But there's even a solution to that. If we had a countrywide lockdown, a proper one for a month and after that we'll do things properly. The month can be used to fix education. Building safely taking place to extend and equip schools and online systems can be set up to facilitate home schooling where appropriate. GAA halls, pubs etc could be leased as overflow (heh) areas and SNAs hired in droves to facilitate this, taking loads of people off the PUP.

So parents will have a choice and schools will be less crowded. Has there even been any research into parents' preferences?? Many would 100% take blended learning if there was an option. It should already have been an option before covid, it will suit many people.

The only reason this isn't being done is because like in every other western English-speaking democracy, it's fashionable to under invest in education. By pure luck are we not all fundamentalist nutters, although there are some days on here when I wonder if we are, given the extremist and firmly-held prejudices some have.

Maybe they're just hoping we're all thick enough to believe that they didn't know this was coming. Maybe they're hoping that our children and grandchildren will be too.

Damned teachers with their holidays and salaries, I hate them so much.

Hmm.

We did, with ~25k cases and ~1.5k deaths over say 4 months (all rough figures)
    Population of 4.8mil, that's 134 waves (based on 70% herd immunity), with 201k deaths (again over estimate) and only takes 44 years of rolling lockdowns.
    Even if serology reports 5x the infection rate and ignoring deaths, it's still close to 9 years for the 'slow burn'
    I forgot to mention, no pubs be open, no spectator sports and no outpatient appointments.
    *totally late night drinking math, so feel free to tear them apart*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/International/coronavirus-cases-explode-india-struggles-flatten-curve/story%3fid=73080777

A staggering 380 doctors in India have died of covid, not just healthcare workers but only doctors. In comparison at least 900 healthcare workers in the US have perished, although this figure includes not only doctors but any medical professional so India's is probably far higher than that

There's close to a million doctors who are all in high risk areas. Not that high really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

GooglePlus wrote: »
    There's close to a million doctors who are all in high risk areas. Not that high really.

There's a million doctors in India? Really? That seems super high but interesting in true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

There's a million doctors in India? Really? That seems super high but interesting in true

1 million registered in 2018, not sure if higher or lower now. Their population growth is insane so probably much more on the rise.

We did, with ~25k cases and ~1.5k deaths over say 4 months (all rough figures)
    Population of 4.8mil, that's 134 waves (based on 70% herd immunity), with 201k deaths (again over estimate) and only takes 44 years of rolling lockdowns.
    Even if serology reports 5x the infection rate and ignoring deaths, it's still close to 9 years for the 'slow burn'
    I forgot to mention, no pubs be open, no spectator sports and no outpatient appointments.
    *totally late night drinking math, so feel free to tear them apart*

I don't think the plan is to do this for 44 years. The plan is to keep it at bay for the Winter and hope to Christ that there's a vaccine or a breakthrough in treatment that'll change the picture.

That's not a great plan, but, unfortunately, it's the best we've got, it's the best anyone has got, aside from letting it rip and loads more people dying - which is a far worse plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

HSE Operations report out

102 Hospitalisations

17 in icu

1 Death in CC

8 Ventilated (-1)

s1ippy wrote: »
    Heh, fire away and get it there so. Talk about normalization. Covid is not something I or anyone I know intends on getting and we're acting accordingly (except one of my very good friends, who thinks it's a hoax because he always hated the government that little bit more than the rest of us and resents being controlled).

"Political focus shifts as Government desperately tries to avoid new lockdown" is the headline here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/political-focus-shifts-as-government-desperately-tries-to-avoid-new-lockdown-1.4364923

Personally I think it's a load of boIlocks. They knew weeks ago the ramifications of this. They started their stupid experiment and thought they'd be different, thought they could follow the Swedish model. Now they're backpedalling as fast as they can. It's pathetic that they're so callously gambling with public health.

They were only just about barely elected, so it's fair to say that they give about as much of a sh!t about us as we do about them. It's an entire government based on mistrust and spin. Of course this is playing out the way it has been. The main concern is what will the next blunder be which sends many of us into disaster?

If the economy is so f'd let's just agree to abandon it for the year and focus everything on what we have internally. We have loads going for us. There's huge potential. The main stopping point is parents who probably should have considered that they might have to look after their kids at some point before having them.

But there's even a solution to that. If we had a countrywide lockdown, a proper one for a month and after that we'll do things properly. The month can be used to fix education. Building safely taking place to extend and equip schools and online systems can be set up to facilitate home schooling where appropriate. GAA halls, pubs etc could be leased as overflow (heh) areas and SNAs hired in droves to facilitate this, taking loads of people off the PUP.

So parents will have a choice and schools will be less crowded. Has there even been any research into parents' preferences?? Many would 100% take blended learning if there was an option. It should already have been an option before covid, it will suit many people.

The only reason this isn't being done is because like in every other western English-speaking democracy, it's fashionable to under invest in education. By pure luck are we not all fundamentalist nutters, although there are some days on here when I wonder if we are, given the extremist and firmly-held prejudices some have.

Maybe they're just hoping we're all thick enough to believe that they didn't know this was coming. Maybe they're hoping that our children and grandchildren will be too.

Damned teachers with their holidays and salaries, I hate them so much.

Hmm.
    That's assuming no people cross the border or fly home. We cannot expect to have a national lockdown and reopen and things go differently.
    I'm sure there's plenty of places to teach (we taught Irish in forests at one time), but a lack of teachers. And no, you can't just hire some junkie off the street to teach civics!

I don't think the plan is to do this for 44 years. The plan is to keep it at bay for the Winter and hope to Christ that there's a vaccine or a breakthrough in treatment that'll change the picture.

That's not a great plan, but, unfortunately, it's the best we've got, it's the best anyone has got, aside from letting it rip and loads more people dying - which is a far worse plan.

So instead of a herd immunity plan, you mean bunker down (no lockdown) just take **** seriously until early next year and we'll reassess? Maybe some heafty fines for serious breaches, make an example of people?
    Come the new year, reassess and see how the vaccine candidates goe?
    I can live with that.... many can't, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

spookwoman wrote: »

102 Hospitalisations

17 in icu

1 Death in CC

8 Ventilated (-1)

Scary numbers, we're not heading in the right direction at all

spookwoman wrote: »

102 Hospitalisations

17 in icu

1 Death in CC

8 Ventilated (-1)
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    Scary numbers, we're not heading in the right direction at all
    It's the direction some chose was right (for them)
    We sure as sh1t can't blame the government this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

They have ~0.85 doctors per 1000 people, we have 3.3 per 1000.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.MED.PHYS.ZS?view=map

That's assuming no people cross the border or fly home. We cannot expect to have a national lockdown and reopen and things go differently.
    I'm sure there's plenty of places to teach (we taught Irish in forests at one time), but a lack of teachers. And no, you can't just hire some junkie off the street to teach civics!
    There are absolutely loads of qualified teachers on insecure contracts. I left the profession recently for various reasons, if they were doing it properly I'd have secured employment in teaching again to help out. Just out of my phone right now I could get you the number of twenty five teachers living within a 10km radius of Cork City on insecure contacts who would leap at the opportunity to earn for the year, especially if it was safe.

s1ippy wrote: »
    There are absolutely loads of qualified teachers on insecure contracts. I left the profession recently for various reasons, if they were doing it properly I'd have secured employment in teaching again to help out. Just out of my phone right now I could get you the number of twenty five teachers living within a 10km radius of Cork City on insecure contacts who would leap at the opportunity to earn for the year, especially if it was safe.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's an insecure contract?
    Almost sounds like a zero hours one, meaning they are working, but not guaranteed hours, or reduced hours, like subbing for a day here and there?
    If so, there's no reason why extending schools to non schools buildings with qualified staff shouldn't be considered.
    A practical solution to a life altering situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Fvcking hell, mary mcaleese was from the ghetto, 11 kids in the family. That priest sounded like a prick. Some woman.

Edit: She was really through the wars. What a woman. Glad I tuned in tonight. I only tuned in because of fauci

I wonder if the health message is being lost on you in the same way you misinterpreted the Late Late show segment with Mary McAleese?

Mary McAleese was the eldest of nine children. Her mother suffered 11 miscarriages.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Excuse my ignorance, but what's an insecure contract?
    Almost sounds like a zero hours one, meaning they are working, but not guaranteed hours, or reduced hours, like subbing for a day here and there?
    If so, there's no reason why extending schools to non schools buildings with qualified staff shouldn't be considered.
    A practical solution to a life altering situation.
    Exactly as you mentioned. I'm not sure how it works in secondary school exactly as it's more complicated, but when I qualified as a primary teacher, my first five years of work were spent waking up every morning at 7 to get ready to maybe go to work. I would have done anything for a permanent contract or even just a fixed-term.

Only thing stopping them overhauling the education sector for the better is greed and malice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement