Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Snap
    Are people not putting a tank under the feed passage anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Snap

Is that going to be a really high centre roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

7.5m in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Are people not putting a tank under the feed passage anymore?

They don't like them in grant specs. I prefer to avoid them too. Harder agitate and older tank will start to get dangerous. They fail like slats do underneath.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

They don't like them in grant specs. I prefer to avoid them too. Harder agitate and older tank will start to get dangerous. They fail like slats do underneath.

The extra storage for little extra cost
    A collapse passage would be a disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Came across this lady today, is she a Droimeann?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

tanko wrote: »
    English longhorn ?

tanko wrote: »

Looks like an English Longhorn. The cow at the right of the tree in the background really looks like one.
    Where was that?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s at Killeavy castle in Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,140 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Feeding the little fellas.

20200928-171253.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Feeding the little fellas.

Seaweed fertiliser & molasses?

Seaweed fertiliser & molasses?

Drop out the fertilizer and call it foliar feeding and then ..yep.
    And whatever goes onto the soil.

Drop out the fertilizer and call it foliar feeding and then ..yep.
    And whatever goes onto the soil.

How often did you spray your paddocks this year Say?
    You hardly sprayed them after every rotation?

How often did you spray your paddocks this year Say?
    You hardly sprayed them after every rotation?

I have. Yep.

Well I missed a round with that prolonged wet spell around the end of August and the place nearly crashed altogether.
    I had it humming before that.
    I'm back somewhat again.

I have. Yep.

Well I missed a round with that prolonged wet spell around the end of August and the place nearly crashed altogether.
    I had it humming before that.
    I'm back somewhat again.

What do you mean it nearly crashed?

Did you put out any chemical fertiliser on the same paddocks?

What do you mean it nearly crashed?

Did you put out any chemical fertiliser on the same paddocks?

Growth nearly stopped.
    You see I'm foliar feeding so the plant was used to getting fed through the leaf. With no fertilizer going on the soil.
    So for the three months I was foliar spraying this year that's how the plant was getting fed. No bag stuff being spread.
    So when the rain came I reckon a lot of the soil stuff was used up long ago and with the foliar stopped there was nothing there.
    The only paddocks that were able to reasonably grow during that wet spell and time I stopped the foliar were the ones that had biochar in the slurry spread way before that.
    Just before the time out for the fertilizer restrictions I put back on the fert spreader and covered the farm in 18.6.12 and urea. I'm going out now also with burnt lime and the foliar.
    So I'm back somewhat again and set up fairly nicely bar the weather not playing ball.

The soil is getting darker here on farm.
    It mightnt look dark in the pictures but for me I'm calling it a win especially when I'm only this year at feeding microbes.
    (I should take the pictures out of the Sun and in the rain). :p

It's nothing out of the ordinary for farmers in the Midlands and nw but it is for me on this mineral soil.

Anyways.

20201001-112413.jpg

20201001-112239.jpg

This stuff happens faster than the folk with the PhD's let on.

The soil is getting darker here on farm.

You should take a sample and keep it in a flower pot for future reference. Having both sample (before and after a few years) would be a great side by side comparison.

You should take a sample and keep it in a flower pot for future reference. Having both sample (before and after a few years) would be a great side by side comparison.

I wouldn't have the temperment for that.. :p

Ah I can take a sample from my next door neighbour if I ever want to do a comparison.
    Tbh I'm farming on a lot of rented ground so I could be out on my ear out of farming altogether at any stage. So I'm living for the now.

• Advertisement

Growth nearly stopped.
    You see I'm foliar feeding so the plant was used to getting fed through the leaf. With no fertilizer going on the soil.
    So for the three months I was foliar spraying this year that's how the plant was getting fed. No bag stuff being spread.
    So when the rain came I reckon a lot of the soil stuff was used up long ago and with the foliar stopped there was nothing there.
    The only paddocks that were able to reasonably grow during that wet spell and time I stopped the foliar were the ones that had biochar in the slurry spread way before that.
    Just before the time out for the fertilizer restrictions I put back on the fert spreader and covered the farm in 18.6.12 and urea. I'm going out now also with burnt lime and the foliar.
    So I'm back somewhat again and set up fairly nicely bar the weather not playing ball.

I was thinking about this...

I thought the idea was to feed the soil and not the plant... The plant then goes to the soil for its nutrients, and it forms a more symbiotic relationship with the various bugs in the soil?
    If you are feeding the plant, it won’t go to the soil for it’s nutrients it’ll continue to expect them from the foliar spray? This means the plant won’t attract the same level of bugs, and so the soil will be poorer, bug wise...
    I am sure someone with more knowledge could explain that much better - and I might be wrong in my thinking too...

So, ultimately, are you just replacing one fertiliser with another?
    I am not sure what the benefit is, if you are saying growth crashes when the grass doesn’t get its hit of foliar spray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Not normal Fox behaviour? Must have been sick

I was thinking about this...

I thought the idea was to feed the soil and not the plant... The plant then goes to the soil for its nutrients, and it forms a more symbiotic relationship with the various bugs in the soil?
    If you are feeding the plant, it won’t go to the soil for it’s nutrients it’ll continue to expect them from the foliar spray? This means the plant won’t attract the same level of bugs, and so the soil will be poorer, bug wise...
    I am sure someone with more knowledge could explain that much better - and I might be wrong in my thinking too...

So, ultimately, are you just replacing one fertiliser with another?
    I am not sure what the benefit is, if you are saying growth crashes when the grass doesn’t get its hit of foliar spray?

I was reading this evening about biomagnetism and health for soil and plants.
    The author reckons 5 pounds of sugar is needed per acre per week to get soil flushed from all nitrogen fertilizer, all cides of all sorts, etc.
    If you get to a brix of 14 in a plant, the plant and soil should be self sustaining.
    But you can go to far feeding bacteria in the soil that it could harm plants growing in it. But you'll build your carbon and flush your soil.
    By the same token putting nitrogen fertilizer on the soil. Releases a sodium influence and stresses the plant which then causes it to search for nutrients to feed itself but it's only a false feed with the plant having a low brix.
    Where I'm on that journey and can one grow large amounts of grass at 14 with low inputs...or does the plant get too lazy with a high brix ..??

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

The fox, (if it survived) should have learned a hard lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The fox, (if it survived) should have learned a hard lesson.

Nah I'd say it was killed. It got a right few digs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭893bet

Good lesson to show how dangerous cows are when they feel their calves under threat.

893bet wrote: »
    Good lesson to show how dangerous cows are when they feel their calves under threat.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I bet the first cow to attack was the matriarch, the head Mama.
    Had a very similar thing happen here a few years back. Young guy walking tru the fields with dog. Head Mama here went the length of field to get dog. Only he let go of the dog leash, he would have got full force of cow. I was shocked as she was a very quiet cow. I could rub her in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Exactly what I was thinking. I bet the first cow to attack was the matriarch, the head Mama.
    Had a very similar thing happen here a few years back. Young guy walking tru the fields with dog. Head Mama here went the length of field to get dog. Only he let go of the dog leash, he would have got full force of cow. I was shocked as she was a very quiet cow. I could rub her in the field.

I have seen that too and there have been some cases in the UK of people being killed by herds of cattle when walking dogs past them. Once an attack starts some sort of real herd instinct kick on where many cattle join in. Even a person lying down in a field of cattle is dangerous as they will come over and may not recognise you as a human or like to see a person in that position and attack you.

I was reading this evening about biomagnetism and health for soil and plants.
    The author reckons 5 pounds of sugar is needed per acre per week to get soil flushed from all nitrogen fertilizer, all cides of all sorts, etc.
    If you get to a brix of 14 in a plant, the plant and soil should be self sustaining.
    But you can go to far feeding bacteria in the soil that it could harm plants growing in it. But you'll build your carbon and flush your soil.
    By the same token putting nitrogen fertilizer on the soil. Releases a sodium influence and stresses the plant which then causes it to search for nutrients to feed itself but it's only a false feed with the plant having a low brix.
    Where I'm on that journey and can one grow large amounts of grass at 14 with low inputs...or does the plant get too lazy with a high brix ..??

So you’re planning to use the brix meter to monitor the grass ‘health’

The higher the better?

Will you continue with the same level of seaweed fertilser with molasses, or will you concentrate more on molasses and monitor results via brix?

Where you get the brix meter in the end?

• Advertisement

So you’re planning to use the brix meter to monitor the grass ‘health’

The higher the better?

Will you continue with the same level of seaweed fertilser with molasses, or will you concentrate more on molasses and monitor results via brix?

Where you get the brix meter in the end?

This message never showed up on the touch site it only showed up on the full site.

To all that I don't know I'll work off everything from grass growth to animal performance to clean out and how parasite loads look. Basically what I'm doing already by eye. But I'll use it as a tool to see a figure and what happens with the above by that figure.

Got it through the conglomerate but at least you can depend on ..Amazon.

Advertisement