Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In terms of the Rugby UK Met have this warning for greater London...

"Yellow warning of snow

Updated 15 March at 11:48 GMT

From00:05 GMT on Sat 17 MarchTo23:55 GMT on Sat 17 March

A band of rain will turn more widely to snow early Saturday morning followed by scattered snow showers through the remainder of the day. These showers may become more prolonged, particularly during the evening. Any melting of lying snow will lead to an ice risk on untreated surfaces on Saturday morning and night.

Travel delays on roads with some stranded vehicles and passengers, along with delayed or cancelled rail and air travel is possible. Some rural communities could become cut off and power cuts may occur. Some injuries from slips and falls are possible on icy surfaces."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

All in all it looks like a short lived but decent convective setup.  Flow also looks more NE compared to the pre-Emma convective event so south East Dublin and parts of Wicklow shouldn't fall under that irritating Anglesey shadow. Definitely expecting accumulations over 5cm in some spots. Best action should be in the early hours of Sunday with a probable thaw after 10am Sunday. Only thing working against us is the wind which may gust over 35kts but overall a short but sweet event and honestly am quite annoyed that I will be missing this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Lordy I didn't open this thread for a day thinking this was all over and now were right back on track, weather moves fast!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

In terms of the Rugby UK Met have this warning for greater London...

"Yellow warning of snow

Updated 15 March at 11:48 GMT

From00:05 GMT on Sat 17 MarchTo23:55 GMT on Sat 17 March

A band of rain will turn more widely to snow early Saturday morning followed by scattered snow showers through the remainder of the day. These showers may become more prolonged, particularly during the evening. Any melting of lying snow will lead to an ice risk on untreated surfaces on Saturday morning and night.

Travel delays on roads with some stranded vehicles and passengers, along with delayed or cancelled rail and air travel is possible. Some rural communities could become cut off and power cuts may occur. Some injuries from slips and falls are possible on icy surfaces."

So no risk of the rugby match being called off then. Surely the forecast in the last paragraph of the above quote justifies at least an orange (or amber) warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Yet again what about the rest of the country midlands and west?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

What about Cork? Any risk of snow or ice? Cancel travel plans for Saturday/Sunday?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Yet again what about the rest of the country midlands and west?

West, maybe a very slight dusting, if anything. Midlands could see up to 5cm in places over Sat night into Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

patneve2 wrote: »
    All in all it looks like a short lived but decent convective setup.  Flow also looks more NE compared to the pre-Emma convective event so south East Dublin and parts of Wicklow shouldn't fall under that irritating Anglesey shadow. Definitely expecting accumulations over 5cm in some spots. Best action should be in the early hours of Sunday with a probable thaw after 10am Sunday. Only thing working against us is the wind which may gust over 35kts but overall a short but sweet event and honestly am quite annoyed that I will be missing this one!

Do you really think there will be a thaw after 10am Sunday? I have my doubts, temps aren’t to get above 3c on Sunday in the east. Maybe a slight thaw but won’t be much IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its 14c in Sligo today

These high temperatures often come before a giant fall.

Northeast only showing as 5c on meteociel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Kamili wrote: »
    Wonder why ME are not on board... Did they get too much slating the last time, or are they expecting a downgrade?

They were slated last time?? I don't recall that. And if they were why were they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

esposito wrote: »
    patneve2 wrote: »

Do you really think there will be a thaw after 10am Sunday? I have my doubts, temps aren’t to get above 3c on Sunday in the east. Maybe a slight thaw but won’t be much IMO.
    Maybe not a complete thaw but a partial one for sure...even if it stays cloudy. 3 degrees is v different in mid march compared to 3 degrees in mid january

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Looks like Met are putting up a yellow warning.
    Banner up but no text yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

No warning. Forgot to refresh from this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They were slated last time?? I don't recall that. And if they were why were they?
    They took a bit of grief early on Wednesday before the warning had actually came into timeframe. Usual "it's not happening in my back yard, this very second/ at 4 on the dot".

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

I'm booked in to do a 7hr hillwalk in west Donegal on Saturday. Can anyone advise what kind of windchill I could expect? I'm assuming it will stay dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I'm booked in to do a 7hr hillwalk in west Donegal on Saturday. Can anyone advise what kind of windchill I could expect? I'm assuming it will stay dry!

Should stay dry alright, I would say -5c windchill in the am - heading towards sub -10c in the afternoon, lower the higher up you are obviously. The actual temperature will be in and around 0c, maybe a bit below in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Only walking weather for the hardy and experienced, should be a stunning day for it though. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Talk to me about the Cork snow shield, is it ( hopefully) still down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

This site is generally good for windchill forecasts in the mountains;

I picked Errigal.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Errigal/forecasts/749

Saturday looks like -10 windchill at peak. Errigal is rather exposed though.

ICON has potential for arrival of snow showers during the parade -

icon-0-48.png?15-12

icon-1-48.png?15-12

• Advertisement

GFS similar-

48-7UK.GIF?15-12

I love the way upgrades are the norm in 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I love the way upgrades are the norm in 2018!

Yeh next winter which will probably be another average winter will be a real shocker when we get back to normality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Dublin parade might well see the white stuff :)

prectypeuktopo.png

UKMO is excellent too :) -10c 850s in for parade time...very similar to the ICON run, would be nice to see the frames between +48 and +72hrs

UW48-7.GIF?15-17

UW72-21.GIF?15-16

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Don't know why people are happy about snow during the parade.

Think of the children guys. :):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Yeah, kids hate snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

pilly wrote: »

I'd have been jumping for joy as a child if the likes of that happened :D

Beverly Hills, California

pilly wrote: »

I agree this could be a serious issue now. Also cant believe how little the weather is being mentioned in the context of the rugby. even if match isnt called off or something you have to think it will be a huge factor. Think people are a bit uniformed about this and met.ie should at least have an advisory out by now (unless other resources they have show a different picture).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I'd have been jumping for joy as a child if the likes of that happened :D

Not if the parade was cancelled and you'd been standing there in the freezing cold for hours waiting for it you wouldn't. :P

When I was a kid I was a participant in the parade, on a float, was so excited at the thoughts of it, by the end of it I was nearly blue with the cold. :D

Advertisement