Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DerKaiserVon

Hey guys,

I'm planning to visit and explore as a tourist with a rented car. I'm gonna be in Galway on thursday, and then in the next days plan to visit Limerick and Killarney. Will it be a total chaos to drive in the snow, in case there is any? I'm panicking a little here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hey guys,

I'm planning to visit and explore as a tourist with a rented car. I'm gonna be in Galway on thursday, and then in the next days plan to visit Limerick and Killarney. Will it be a total chaos to drive in the snow, in case there is any? I'm panicking a little here.

You'll be fine. Western half of the country not effected that much really. A few showers and a dusting. Certainly no chaos :)

Hope you have a great time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hey guys,

No, you'll be fine. It will be cold though, make sure you have your woollies. :)

Thanks y'all, that's really reassuring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Hoping the streamers miss wicklow this time again, was raging last time but I'm over the snow now, had my fix!

• Advertisement

2013Lara wrote: »
    Hoping the streamers miss wicklow this time again, was raging last time but I'm over the snow now, had my fix!

Not sure that's going to work out for you.:pac:

Where are you flying into?

@pilly: DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi all,

I didn’t expect to be here again so soon after the last time!

Before the thread gets crazy - I’m flying back from London on Sunday afternoon to Dublin.

What are my chances of getting back? Should I make alternative arrangements?

I know it’s a how long is a piece of string type question but you lads are certainly a lot more knowledgeable than me in terms of helping to plan for this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheDuchess

Hi all, supposed to be driving from Limerick to Kilkenny Sunday around 1 or 2pm and back Monday afternoon. Should I be looking at cancelling? or will it be ok roads wise to drive?

• Advertisement

@pilly: DUB

I've just noticed you said Thursday so your flight will be fine.

Have a great holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

@kermit how we looking in north Dublin this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yet another cold snap, the seasons have really shifted ...

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    @kermit how we looking in north Dublin this time around

Disruptive snowfall potential.

TheDuchess wrote: »
    Hi all, supposed to be driving from Limerick to Kilkenny Sunday around 1 or 2pm and back Monday afternoon. Should I be looking at cancelling? or will it be ok roads wise to drive?

No. You'll should be fine. Keep up to date with the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm going to be very selfish and say 'Bring it On!!'.

I can't moan about Bray not getting Snow last time because Bray got tonnes of it. However, my corner of Bray didn't do so well. ie. The Seafront area got 5cm from the Tuesday overnight Streamers, nothing on Wednesday and after 30 hours of continuous snow Thursday/Friday still only had 5cm and it was a slushy mess. The reason being the gale force winds and high seas meant that a certain distance from the Sea and below a certain elevation close to sea level in Bray got Natures own de-icer (Salty Sea Spray) spread along with the Snow which meant it melted as fast as it fell so we never really broke the 2-3 inches barrier and it was wet and slushy underfoot.

I also had an ingrown toenail for the duration and couldn't even really go out for a walk and enjoy what we did get. My Big Toe is sorted now, so if the Weather Gods could deliver a very localised 6-12 inches of snow to the Seafront and Bray Head area with some Blue Skies afterwards for some lovely photographs, that'd be great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There will be some scatter if its starts snowing heavily during the parade on Saturday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheDuchess

No. You'll should be fine. Keep up to date with the forecast.

Thanks for response - really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

it should be dry and reasonably sunny too so good conditions to see the scenery from the warmth of car , enjoy.

I'll update the forecast in the OP later today with more concise regional information but I have to keep it streamlined at the same time. No one wants to read a thesis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Kermit-the-Frog-Takes-the-ALS-Ice-Bucket-Challenge.gif

Kermit on localized weather forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'll update the forecast in the OP later today with more concise regional information but I have to keep it streamlined at the same time. No one wants to read a thesis.
    If it uses the words "snow", "streamer", "disruptive", "accumulation", "significant" many times, I'd read a trilogy. Repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

What will it be like in Athlone on Saturday at 3.40pm? Church Street area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

What will it be like in Athlone on Saturday at 3.40pm? Church Street area.

Cold and a lot of green on view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Cold and a lot of green on view.
    And probably blue legs if the parade is on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Cold event moving quicker, could be starting earlier. Rain showers 17th AM, sleet and snow on hills, turning to snow, covering east coast and inland maybe has far as Westmeath. Later on 17th the initial band of precip will track south westwards and spill over Munster, though the amount of precip is always going to be questionable.

Light to moderate snow showers on 18th in all Leinster/Munster. A lot of cloud cover too so it could be slow thaw and sticking on roads. I would imagine again accumulations may vary wildly, if I were a betting man, about 10cm on east coasts/near inland, more on higher ground, 3-5cm elsewhere by Sunday night. Monday looks cold and dry, but sunny, so likely expecting it all to thaw rapidly. Could all change though.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The uppers look cold alright. However, unlike the last cold spell, the beast, Met Éireann are not on board for disruption, as yet. Forecast today ‘snow amounts likely to be small’.

Let’s see how it pans out. On a personal note, I’ve had my fill ha ha. The sooner it comes and goes the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Met Éireann are not on board for disruption, as yet. Forecast today ‘snow amounts likely to be small’.

Wonder why ME are not on board... Did they get too much slating the last time, or are they expecting a downgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

The uppers look cold alright. However, unlike the last cold spell, the beast, Met Éireann are not on board for disruption, as yet. Forecast today ‘snow amounts likely to be small’.

Let’s see how it pans out. On a personal note, I’ve had my fill ha ha. The sooner it comes and goes the better.

Well for one we aren't looking at a repeat of Emma and also Met eireann only really forecast the heavy midweek streamers as they were happening /just after the fact.

On top of this last time every model was in absolute agreement at +96hrs out, this time at that time frame half the models had the core of the cold going into France with higher pressure over us, now that it's under +72 hours they all pretty much agree on the cold pool hitting us. There has been a correction northwards. Met eireann were pretty accurate last time and will always throw caution to the wind forecasting any significant convective snow in advance and rightly so in my opionion. Although they tend to understate the amounts until the snow is actually falling.

Heavy falls can be localised and even very localised under a shower/streamer setup and so say you have 3cm, somewhere less than 5 miles away could have 15+, it's just the way the dice rolls. North wicklow and South Dublin usually do very well out of these setups for example but in the last spell North Dublin and into Kildare /West south Dublin faired better under the mid week streamer snow. This will be much the same in terms of how localised anything heavy may or may not be.

I can see 5-10cm widely enough on eastern coastal counties (some inland Leinster also) with falls of 15cm+ in localised spots. More over any land with decent elevation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

As much as I'd love another blast, it's going to be very bad if it hits out Kildare direction.

Quite large stretches of road around Athgoe, Straffan and Newcastle still effectively 1-way traffic as of this morning due to accumulations of snow remaining, despite the rain and relatively warm temperatures so far this week, it just isn't melting at any great rate.

There's quite a lot of the white stuff still lying about in fields and ditches, even in open and sunshine exposed areas.

Wouldn't take much to quickly cover-in and accumulate again and with the slow melt rate any disruptive snowfall this weekend is unlikely to be gone by the Tuesday morning commute.

Advertisement