Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

druss wrote: »
    If I can avail of a trade in for my day-one Switch, then I might upgrade. Otherwise it's a pass from me as well.

Yes, this all the way. Will be keeping an eye on Gamestop over the next few weeks to see what they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Doesn't look like a major difference but I only have a Lite so might end up picking one up around Christmas. Hopefully the battery life will be better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

If I can get it on a trade-in deal I'll consider it. Birthday's coming up so might as well take advantage. Even then I can't see this being a worthy purchase if the "upgrades" are superficial, all for an extra 50 quid? Even if you don't own a Switch currently, there is little reason to get this unless you have to have an LAN port, 2cm-larger screen, wide kickstand, "better" audio - I dunno, seems useless to me.

Then again why were we all expecting a "pro" model in the first place? Who started that rumour?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This new model seems like a complete waste of time and I think we can forget about a Switch Pro at this stage. I was looking forward to the upgraded Switch with extra power so that it can run games like Age Of Calamity properly without tanking frame rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

The only way this makes any sense is if it just replaces the current model Switch. It really can't be seen as justifiable upgrade for anyone who owns one currently.

Anyone with a day 1 or early switch would also be far better off selling privately, rather than trading. Those early Switch models are pretty sought after as they're easily moddable, as opposed to the patched units which require a very scarce mod chip.

Overall pretty disappointed with this new release, we're committed to at least 2 or 3 years of games on this antiquated SoC (late 2014/early 2015 Tegra X1)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I expected this kind of upgrade for ages, and I think I specifically mentioned the screen size as the major change, along with the battery improvement.
    Anyone watching the evolution of the Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, DS and 3DS should have expected this kind of subtle but significant change in the system.
    However, I would imagine that this is the final Switch hardware and the replacement is probably going to be announced before the years end, with the new LoZ title as a Christmas 2022 launch title

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I expected this kind of upgrade for ages, and I think I specifically mentioned the screen size as the major change, along with the battery improvement.
    Anyone watching the evolution of the Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, DS and 3DS should have expected this kind of subtle but significant change in the system.
    However, I would imagine that this is the final Switch hardware and the replacement is probably going to be announced before the years end, with the new LoZ title as a Christmas 2022 launch title

I hope you’re right and they don’t treat it like a handheld and keep it around for 8 years.. it’s barely chugging along performance-wise

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I assume that there's a lot of "actually this is why I'm not wrong" nonsense out of the rumour-peddlers who were banging on about the Pro being a significantly more powerful upgrade but the only winning game is not to play when it comes to those muppets.

I won't be upgrading either, because while the larger screen real estate might be nice for handheld mode I already find the Switch a bit too large for comfortable handheld play.

Nice of them to include a LAN socket in the new dock, though I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they later announce that you need a special Nintendo RJ45 patch lead for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

No talk of a performance upgrade makes this an easy skip. A new screen is nice and all, but not 300 quid nice. I’m guessing it has the rumoured 4K upscaling given the rumours were right in other respects, but Nintendo doesn’t seem to think it’s even worth mentioning if so :pac:

Edit: nope, no 4K. *Very* easy skip.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1412400798282174467?s=21

As someone said on reddit "You can enjoy your 15fps of bigger Oled screen now!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Then again why were we all expecting a "pro" model in the first place? Who started that rumour?

Sligeach, he's been saying since 2017 😂

• Advertisement

Feels more aimed at those who haven’t yet bought into Switch than intended as an upgrade for existing owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Bright side is I don't have to think about spending money on the new model anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It feels like the transition from the GBA:SP to the AGS101, which had a much better screen.
    It's a technical step up from the original but ultimately the same device.
    Either way, developers and consumers are howling for a genuinely new device to replace the Switch, I still imagine we'll see it next year.
    This OLED device is just a stopgap, and I will buy one regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

364€ in smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nintendo have confirmed that the joycons are the same. Missed opportunity.

Mr E wrote: »
    Nintendo have confirmed that the joycons are the same. Missed opportunity.

giphy.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    364€ in smyths

That's a ridiculous price. €35 dearer for a 4 year old piece of tech. Consoles generally tend to drop in price over time. Not the Switch though.

Nintendo are still charging €70 for 4 year old games also!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭sekiro

I think there is a significant portion of the gaming community that is obsessed with hype more than actual games and tech.

There are folk out there who will say things like "I bought a Switch for Metroid and F-Zero, where are they?"

Just the same as there are folk who started discussing "Switch Pro" near enough as soon as the Switch released in 2017.

File it under "Bloodborne for PC" and other things that people are more interested in "reacting" to than actually playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hopefully their next system is backwards compatible. But considering the success the Switch has had for selling mainly old rope I don't think it will be. Can't see the new Zelda & Bayonetta 3 running well on this line of models, certainly not at 60fps. But I can see them kicking that Zelda game down the road to the new Nintendo console anyway. Did it for Wii & Switch so why not again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Switch OLED reportedly costs only around $10 more to manufacture

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/switch-oled-reportedly-costs-only-around-10-more-to-manufacture/

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭feargantae

GameStop have a trade in deal. Normal Switch + 2 games from a list + €64.99 for the OLED Switch. Linky. Maybe im wrong but seems an okay deal!

As a digital only player im tryna work out which 2 games on that list are cheapest to get right now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Old switch is €330, OLED is €365

So you're giving them two games worth €100-120 plus another €65.

You're giving them an extra €150

Seems like a rip-off to me

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kujaultima

Does anyone else know of any other trade in deals? Gamestops is a joke.

I have the first model switch and I missed the €30 trade in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That was a good deal. 30 quid for brand new machine, joycons, guarantee. I switched from grey joycons, one of my huge regrets in life 🙂, to the neon red/blue 😊.

Not switching to the oled model as I rarely play in handheld mode and much prefer the pro controller and big screen experience.

Going to wait for next gen Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not the best deal out there but some of the listed games can be picked up second hand for cheap so maybe if you had the very first gen switch it's worth it but I'm gonna pass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If I was to sell the Switch I have now, looking on adverts I would get between €200 - €250. 2 Games on that list, maybe another €60 - €80. It doesn't seem a great offer to me. Could be worth €330 + €65 🤯

Gamestop France have a similar but more expensive offer - https://www.micromania.fr/trade-in-nintendo-switch-oled.html

Trade in a console from that list. But, saying that, the current version of the Switch can be found for new for €250 in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi all, looking to pre order Switch OLED but it seems like I missed out on Smyths and GameStop pre order window.

Is it going to be as difficult to get as was PS5 last year?

I need it only for Christmas so still bit of time. Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Preordered with GameStop for delivery on 22n of October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

World's first Switch OLED unboxing.

The guy looks like a Japanese Elton John, Alan Carr or Austin Powers.

Advertisement