Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The release of this hardware update probably predates the actual Switch launch.
    Given the disappointment in the chipset being used in the then new console, people were already speculating about the future replacement, particularly in terms of the Nvidia components.
    After that, it's been a regular "prediction" that the replacement Switch was on the way, so it's really only ever been a "when" rather than an "if".
    But I think we can be pretty sure that new hardware and games will be announced in the coming months, probably sooner.
    I think the games that will herald the new console are more tantalizing than the hardware!
    Just hoping it's backwards compatible...

Might even have Netflix and Disney+ !

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

GameStop Is Expecting A Surge Of Customers After Nintendo's E3 Direct

GameStop are doubling their staff next week on the 15th to deal with some sort of demand on the day of Nintendo's Direct. I doubt they'd do that for any software release do chances are that it could be new hardware...

https://www.thegamer.com/gamestop-nintendos-e3-direct-zelda/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Zelda shadow drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Zelda shadow drop.

Great name for a game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What about "The Legend of Zelda: A Link between Past Phantom Wind Mask Awakening Breath"?

• Advertisement

Nintendo Switch Pro gets 7nm Nvidia Orin platform with performance on par with GeForce RTX 3050

https://www.worldstockmarket.net/nintendo-switch-pro-gets-7nm-nvidia-orin-platform-with-performance-on-par-with-geforce-rtx-3050/

As ever, mountains of salt at the standby.

RTX 3050 is a 90 Watt max gpu.

Orin 65 / 70 Watts

Tegra X1 in the switch uses maybe 10 Watts max.

does not compute....

I see 80 watts max for RTX 3050. The article even says that "the GeForce RTX 3050 is 8nm, and the Orion T239 is 7nm, so its power consumption should be slightly lower." Plus Nintendo underclocks components. I'm sure modifications have been made to keep power consumption low. I haven't seen anyone mention this as an issue elsewhere. I wouldn't know though.

sligeach wrote: »
    I see 80 watts max for RTX 3050. The article even says that "the GeForce RTX 3050 is 8nm, and the Orion T239 is 7nm, so its power consumption should be slightly lower." Plus Nintendo underclocks components. I'm sure modifications have been made to keep power consumption low. I haven't seen anyone mention this as an issue elsewhere. I wouldn't know though.

still doesn't add up, at all.

"slightly lower" wouldn't cut it.

unless Nintendo are going for a sub 1 hour battery life with a huge heat pipe and big fan coming out the arse of it.

the normal current switch has a 16 Watt Hour battery.

that means it (total everything including cpu, gpu and screen) could provide 16 watts for one hour, or 4 hours at 4 watts etc.

• Advertisement

"There are different TDP variants of Orin, with a 15 W SKU (customized Orin S) offering the best potential option for a Nintendo Switch Pro."

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alleged-Nintendo-Switch-Pro-customized-SoC-model-number-points-to-a-chip-that-will-destroy-the-Switch-s-Tegra-X1-in-raw-processing-power.545173.0.html

15 W - now that is eminently possible

remains to be seen how much grunt is left after bringing the power wattage down that much

but I also see comments that the SoC die size is 3 times that of the Tegra X1 which might make it unfeasible.

also some say too expensive

time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mr E wrote: »
    GameStop Is Expecting A Surge Of Customers After Nintendo's E3 Direct

GameStop are doubling their staff next week on the 15th to deal with some sort of demand on the day of Nintendo's Direct. I doubt they'd do that for any software release do chances are that it could be new hardware...

https://www.thegamer.com/gamestop-nintendos-e3-direct-zelda/

So this didn't age well. :)
    I wonder if it was even a real thing.

Big rush to order Metroid Dread

I would say that the Tegra Xavier is the favourite to be the SoC in the Switch Pro / 2 / Super / XL / whatever

What would the games look like on the Switch Pro? | Switch VS Switch Pro | Simulated Comparison

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Fwamabl9nPg#

The differences look greater on some games than others and obviously a compressed Youtube video won't show the full impact.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That video is missing the words "on my imaginary version of the Switch Pro" in the title :P (Also "simulated comparison" is an elegant euphemism for "complete work of fiction")

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Fysh wrote: »
    That video is missing the words "on my imaginary version of the Switch Pro" in the title :P (Also "simulated comparison" is an elegant euphemism for "complete work of fiction")

Seems to me that they've most likely just run the games on an emulator, so you can get the higher res and various filters/effects/anti-aliasing, and then downgraded the quality of the footage for the comparison shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭recyclops

is it a third upgrade of the original or is it more powerful this video doesnt really say much about power but more about screen and stand.

or is this an xbox series s still downgrade on a less powerful pro?

Yeah nothing there to tempt me.

• Advertisement

It's the Switch Pro without the Pro aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

If it was more powerful then they would surely have mentioned. Sounds like there is zero difference between this and a regular switch if you're playing connected to a TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No talk of a performance upgrade makes this an easy skip. A new screen is nice and all, but not 300 quid nice. I’m guessing it has the rumoured 4K upscaling given the rumours were right in other respects, but Nintendo doesn’t seem to think it’s even worth mentioning if so :pac:

Edit: nope, no 4K. *Very* easy skip.

Probably phase out the old model so they can be sure everyone pays the new price.
    New screen, better sound, 64GB storage and Ethernet connection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Well, I can see why Nintendo weren't keen to fan the flames of expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The screen size was never an issue for me, the lack of performance was. Without any power bump it's a hard pass for me.

I don't think it even has Bluetooth. The fecking Vita has that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Doodah7

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Probably phase out the old model so they can be sure everyone pays the new price.

No. At the end of the video you can clearly see the current version and the Switch light alongside the new OLED one.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    No. At the end of the video you can clearly see the current version and the Switch light alongside the new OLED one.

I mean you'll be able to buy both for a while but likely stop production on the older model. Maybe not and it'll be a cheaper option

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Won't be bothering with this I don't think, as I said way back when, at start of the thread, not worth it for a better screen (no mention of improved battery life I don't think either)

Edi: although that super wide kick stand was probably what everyone was waiting for....

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

If I can avail of a trade in for my day-one Switch, then I might upgrade. Otherwise it's a pass from me as well.

Advertisement