Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jail for doing 44km/h over the 120km/h limit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

he went over the speed limit.
    his punishment is just.
    maybe the message will get through, to him anyway.

judging by the amount of people who think it was too harsh, im guessing these are the same 'excellent' drivers who think speed limits should be abolished or are only there for fools to obey.

being employed/unemployed/only driver in family/yawn is no defence. never will be imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

his punishment is just.

judging by the amount of people who think it was too harsh, im guessing these are the same 'excellent' drivers who think speed limits should be abolished or are only there for fools to obey.

being employed/unemployed/only driver in family/yawn is no defence. never will be imo.

That's exactly what I think.

And punishment is not just.
    Doing 164km/h on motorway is hardly a speeding. In most places in Europe there wouldn't even be a fine, or only a small one.

Putting someone to jail for that is about as much ridiculous as putting someone to jail for littering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It's ridiculous. If it were on a dangerous stretch of road maybe. Not a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

his punishment is just.

That's the whole problem, people like you think of Prison as a form of punishment, as a way to make society feel better.

Prison should be used as a method to protect the population from immediate danger and rehabilitation of the offender.

The prisons are full to the point where people are sleeping on the floor:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/the-irish-times-view-on-the-state-of-irish-prisons-a-bleak-picture-1.3544717
    Incarceration should be a penalty of last resort. Only those who pose a serious threat to society should be sent to jail. When they are, however, the State must ensure they obey the rules while protecting them from assault or intimidation.

Driving over the posted speed limit on the motorway with a fully legal car and no intentional threatening later doesn't warrant 2 months incarceration.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

It's ridiculous. If it were on a dangerous stretch of road maybe. Not a motorway.

Exactly its also costing the tax-payer €1,842 per week to jail this chap . Crazy decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

MarkR wrote: »
    Wasn't there a model or rose of tralee or something who got caught doing similar speed, and got off with a warning? Consistancy in sentancing is a joke.

And at around the same time a young fella down munster somewhere driving an integra got 2 years off the road for doing around 170km/h

iirc.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Found her.

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/10/08/speeding-limerick-beauty-queen-praised-for-honesty/

Faster than he was doing, and no ban. I don't even see points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

And at around the same time a young fella down munster somewhere driving an integra got 2 years off the road for doing around 170km/h

iirc.

"Aaaaah the looovely Rose - she just made a little mistake. God love her. We can go easy on her".

"That idiot in an Integra I will knock the smile out of him - give him a hard penalty. Fed up of hearing dem fast Hondas racing up and down the road".

Edit - I wonder how Grainne gets on if.....

1) she was driving her dad's Audi RS4 because....

2) her twin cam drift car was in for repair.

All about the stereotyping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/358271/driving-ban-for-addict-who-reversed-car-at-limerick-gardai-before-high-speed-chase.html?fbclid=IwAR0U3DV1zBK5rbX7nSOUl33HHGsl9VXx1N4qI-4DOXpEe3deSaGIR_Nn5yc#.XEAn0Yn7PeE.facebook

The very same judge today chose not to jail a guy who reversed at Gardai, then took a high speed chase through a built up area in Limerick City Centre. What a joke our judicial system is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

bring back the death penalty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Found her.

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/10/08/speeding-limerick-beauty-queen-praised-for-honesty/

Judge found her honesty refreshing. I feel all warm and fuzzy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Found her.

That judge should be fired..ha can't do his job...justice was not seen to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This highlights the lottery which is the attitudes of different judges. In the case of the guy who's the subject of this thread and who got two months jail, his solicitor said he was offering no excuse as to why he was driving at that speed. Plenty of judges would consider this (no BS excuses) as a positive on the defendant's behalf and give him credit for it. In this case, the judge said that having no excuse for speeding was an 'aggravating factor'.

So remember folks, you were late for an important medical appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Judge found her honesty refreshing. I feel all warm and fuzzy :D

Full 100 percent honesty might have looked like.....

"I sat into a car i wasn't familiar with - i didn't overly care or pay attention to what I was doing. My only interest was my appointment.

I didn't care about the safety implications of how I was driving. I didn't care about the fact the Mercedes had more power then my 1.4 I normally drive."

She sold the judge a dud story and he bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

No jail time only if you have the following.
    More than 50 previous convictions.
    No insurance
    No NCT.
    No licence.
    Drug addict. Win
    Of you go son and don't come back again.
    100euro fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

coylemj wrote: »
    This highlights the lottery which is the attitudes of different judges. In the case of the guy who's the subject of this thread and who got two months jail, his solicitor said he was offering no excuse as to why he was driving at that speed. Plenty of judges would consider this (no BS excuses) as a positive on the defendant's behalf and give him credit for it. In this case, the judge said that having no excuse for speeding was an 'aggravating factor'.

So remember folks, you were late for an important medical appointment.

If someone was detected speeding and prosecuted and they were on the way to a medical appointment for example and they had the appointment letter in Court to show the Judge that could look more favourable than a person with no reason for their speeding other than they were

It doesn't excuse the behaviour however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

McCrack wrote: »
    If someone was detected speeding and prosecuted and they were on the way to a medical appointment for example and they had the appointment letter in Court to show the Judge that could look more favourable than a person with no reason for their speeding other than they were

It doesn't excuse the behaviour however.

I'd kinda hope that that would get them in deeper hot water, to be honest!
    It's not as if it was suddenly sprung upon them as a terrible surprise and they had no time to plan getting there in time.

A medical 'emergency', however...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

CiniO wrote: »
    That's exactly what I think.

And punishment is not just.
    Doing 164km/h on motorway is hardly a speeding. In most places in Europe there wouldn't even be a fine, or only a small one.

Putting someone to jail for that is about as much ridiculous as putting someone to jail for littering.

We are not in 'most places in Europe'... we are in Ireland. The speed limit is 120kph. So anything in excess of that is 'speeding'.
    There have been people jailed for 'littering'. It simply depends on what you constitute as littering (or indeed speeding).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Found her.

And also praised for "honesty"!!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Anytime I'm doing a long drive on any motorway in Ireland, doing 110-115, I'm doing the majority of the overtaking, with an occasional person overtaking me. The M1 would be the exception to that.

Anedoctal evidence goes both ways I guess.

Just no. I've driven the M4/M6 Galway-Dublin-Galway about 4 times in the last week and I set my CC at (GPS corrected m'lud) 125kph.

I am being constantly overtaken, by a little, by a lot, but overtaken nevertheless. I would wager that most of those folk think 120 on sign equates to 130+indicated lolz.....

Those Smiths analogue speedo's are woefully inaccurate :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

McCrack wrote: »

Never mind the substance of the excuse, my point is that some judges look favourably on a defendant who, in effect, throws his hands up and offers no excuse.

That might sound counter-intuitive but judges have to sit there all day listening to BS excuses for all sorts of offences. In many cases, this will involve a defendant perjuring himself in the witness box so sometimes they will give credit to a defendant who simply admits his guilt and offers no rubbish excuse.

But in this case, it backfired. Hence my point that it's a lottery and all depends on which judge is on the bench on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How can judge take law into her own hands, the law is he law. He deserved points and the max fine of 1000 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Considering the scumbags that get suspended sentences for violent assaults after 50 previous convictions I'd say this is very harsh on the face of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Does anyone know approx what year the old limit set as 70mph?

Edit, 1992.
    With the advances in cars, that could easily be raised to 160kph.

How can judge take law into her own hands, the law is he law. He deserved points and the max fine of 1000 !

He was convicted of dangerous driving where the max. penalty is much higher than for exceding the speed limit.

Though there didn't appear to be any evidence that that there was an immediate danger to the public. Other judges have thrown out a summons for dangerous driving where the only evidence was that the defendant was exceeding the speed limit.

Peatys wrote: »

Edit, 1992.

But there hasn't been much in the way of 'advances' to the nut holding the steering wheel. If anything, people are in better insulated cars with their mp3 players wired up to the radio and they are less attuned to what is going on outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

CiniO wrote: »
    Majority of cars have very similar stopping power.

While acceleration 0-150km/h will be crazy faster in M5 than an old Clio, but stopping from 150km/h to 0 will not differ that much. (assuming Clio's brakes are in good shape, but that's why we have NCT).

You are right to a point, all cars for sale now have ABS brakes, which makes a huge difference. Still the best cars brake from 100km/h to standstill in about 30m, the worst cars in about 50m

As per cartman's comparison, the M5 would be close to 30m, an old Clio without ABS could very easily be more than double that. The difference between the two could be no accident at all in the M5 and a fatal accident in the Clio

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    mickdw wrote: »
    I don't live near motorway but anytime I'm driving from West into Dublin, sitting at 120 would have me overtaken constantly and consistently.

Anytime I'm doing a long drive on any motorway in Ireland, doing 110-115, I'm doing the majority of the overtaking, with an occasional person overtaking me. The M1 would be the exception to that.

Anedoctal evidence goes both ways I guess.
    I guess it does however if we are to go with your evidence, it would appear that there is no speeding issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

On the old v new cars, my thoughts are thats why road deaths have come down. The safety devices built into modern cars keep you alive.(alive but in what shape is a different matter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Peatys wrote: »

Edit, 1992.

The energy involved goes up really quickly though as speed increases

Advertisement