Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jail for doing 44km/h over the 120km/h limit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Tiguan Joe wrote: »
    Probably a dumb question but is it possible to limit the speed on all cars to the max speed limit (120kph) before they are even sold so that even if you want to go over speed limit you can't ?
    Why are cars in Ireland capable of speeds so much over the limit.

How do you imagine Irish person driving such car abroad, and being stuck at 120km/h in places where limits are higher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't live near motorway but anytime I'm driving from West into Dublin, sitting at 120 would have me overtaken constantly and consistently.

+1

Any time I'm on a motorway outside Dublin I'm right on the speed limit and by far most other cars around me are overtaking me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

deceit wrote: »
    Why is that speed considered dangerous? Its relatively slow on a well maintained motorway. In my opinion its crazy to even get points for it.

Its one of the reasons I moved to Germany in December to avoid such sillyness. Over here you could be cruising at 200 and be passed like your standing still.

Keep your eyes open over there, I got a fine for doing 26kph in a 20 zone, near Frankfurt, a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

CiniO wrote: »
    How do you imagine Irish person driving such car abroad, and being stuck at 120km/h in places where limits are higher?

Hardly worth worrying about such a small handful of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/358043/jail-sentence-for-man-caught-speeding-on-limerick-motorway.html

28 year old man clocked driving at 164km/h on the motorway gets a two year disqualification, fined €400 and a two month prison sentence.

Step aside Judge Zaidan we are now entering the era of Judge Marian O'Leary.

Personally I think a fcpn and 3 points would have been plenty.
    Warning to others, nothing else, won't do any jail time

• Advertisement

Warning to others, nothing else, won't do any jail time

That's the problem. If it doesn't stick then it's just an invitation to do whatever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Patww79 wrote: »

So by that logic, the small handful of folk who will do 120 in a 30 aren't worth worrying about either?

So by that logic, the small handful of folk who will do 120 in a 30 aren't worth worrying about either?

You're talking about one group of people who will be going 4x the speed limit here vs ones that will be in an Irish car in a specific part of a specific other country. I think one is worth bothering about and one isn't, so no it's not the same logic.

You're talking about one group of people who will be going 4x the speed limit here vs ones that will be in an Irish car in a specific part of a specific other country. I think one is worth bothering about and one isn't, so no it's not the same logic.

I respectfully disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Mike9832 wrote: »
    What car was it?

Somebody mentioned an M5 in an earlier post. How does a 28 year old (allegedly with previous convictions of some type) afford to buy/run/insure an M5?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Homer wrote: »
    Somebody mentioned an M5 in an earlier post. How does a 28 year old (allegedly with previous convictions of some type) afford to buy/run/insure an M5?!

No, that was a comparison saying those speeds would be less dangerous in an m5 than amd old clio because of stopping power

No, that was a comparison saying those speeds would be less dangerous in an m5 than amd old clio because of stopping power

Majority of cars have very similar stopping power.

While acceleration 0-150km/h will be crazy faster in M5 than an old Clio, but stopping from 150km/h to 0 will not differ that much. (assuming Clio's brakes are in good shape, but that's why we have NCT).

Why?
    Do you sacrifice rights of small group of people for prosperity of majority?
    That sounds very far from democracy and freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

If all of the information in that story is correct the bloody Judge deserves to go to Jail. :mad:

Why?
    Do you sacrifice rights of small group of people for prosperity of majority?
    That sounds very far from democracy and freedom.

For people outside the state? I'd be looking after closer to home first.

And remember, you're wailing democracy and freedom because someone with an Irish car wouldn't be able to do over 120km/h in a small selection of countries that allows you to go higher. Hardly a humanitarian issue is it?

For people outside the state? I'd be looking after closer to home first.

And remember, you're wailing democracy and freedom because someone with an Irish car wouldn't be able to do over 120km/h in a small selection of countries that allows you to go higher. Hardly a humanitarian issue is it?

No. Not humanitarian issue, but simply limiting your rights.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

While acceleration 0-150km/h will be crazy faster in M5 than an old Clio, but stopping from 150km/h to 0 will not differ that much. (assuming Clio's brakes are in good shape, but that's why we have NCT).
    An old Clio will be significantly lighter too which has an impact on stopping distances.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Anything over 160kph and it's automatically "dangerous driving" i.e, ye get cuffed, charged, and told when to show up in court.

Baloney, I got done at 172kph on the motorway, and the guard was quite angry cause it took him ages to catch up to me, but it was still just a fine and points.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I know someone who got caught doing 166kph on an N road. He got a good bollocking and 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Melodeon

In fairness, the stopping power of performance cars (BMW M series, Audi RS, etc) is startling when compared to 'regular'cars.
    While the raw acceleration has uninitiated passengers squeaking with joy, they're gasping with fright as the negative G has them hanging out of their seat belt during a full-blooded 'emergency' stop.
    Those fat sticky tyres and brake discs like dustbin lids DO make a difference :D

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    An old Clio will be significantly lighter too which has an impact on stopping distances.

No it doesn't really.

Lighter weight means less friction between tyres and road so worse stopping distance. But at the same time, as car is lighter, it's less weight to stop, so better stopping distance.
    Generally this simple physics equalizes stopping distance for most cars.

It works bit the way you said but opposite on larger scale though. F.e. trucks and buses having longer stopping distance than cars. And cars having longer stopping distance than motorbikes.

Assuming braking system is fully operational in good condition, the biggest factor is probably tyres.
    I could bet big money that old clio will stop sooner from 150km/h on good tyres, then M5 on crap chineese ditchfinders.

Baloney, I got done at 172kph on the motorway, and the guard was quite angry cause it took him ages to catch up to me, but it was still just a fine and points.

So we're making progress then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I'd love to see some sort of evidence that the stopping distance of a BMW M5 and an "old Clio" from 150-0 would be comparable!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Why is that speed considered dangerous? Its relatively slow on a well maintained motorway. In my opinion its crazy to even get points for it.

We don't have proper motorways, and i will go out on a limb and say no one in this country has been taught how to drive on one.
    Its one of the reasons I moved to Germany in December to avoid such sillyness. Over here you could be cruising at 200 and be passed like your standing still.

You moved to Germany so you could drive faster!??? what an odd reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

I love brining my old 90s Japanese car to Mexico and going past 180.

In all seriousness the talk of restricting cars to 120 is so silly and would destroy the car market so it will never happen, I do think the 120 speed limit on some Irish motor ways could easily be pushed up to 140. I do agree it depends on the car and situation too you have to take in all the factors to fully understand why they would threaten jail time

I'd love to see some sort of evidence that the stopping distance of a BMW M5 and an "old Clio" from 150-0 would be comparable!

https://arachnoid.com/braking_physics/index.html

Here's explanation of braking physics.

I'm not saying that old clio and new M5 will have exactly same braking distance.
    Adequately balanced car with perfectly working braking system will brake faster than just basic car.
    Difference won't be big though.

Why sport cars have huge ventilated discs and sports pads is for heat resistance during long time braking.

F.e. in a clio you might stop from 150km/h to 0 and brakes will be roasting hot. Accelerate again to 150 and brake again, and your braking force will be already much affected. Do it again, you might not brake at all.

While the M5 you might be doing a circuit of 20km, and brake from 150 to 50 in front of every bend, and brakes should not overheat.

Could be an 'old' clio 197, or a clio v6 maybe? with performance oriented brakes

In any case the latter wouldn't make it off the sliproad without crashing into the barriers on the side of it - so it's stopping distance would be irrelevant.

I'm going to wager that an m5 on ditchfinders would take longer to stop on a dry road on a warm day than a clio 197 on semi slicks would.

In short - there's too many variables for anyone to say conclusively.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Wasn't there a model or rose of tralee or something who got caught doing similar speed, and got off with a warning? Consistancy in sentancing is a joke.

MarkR wrote: »
    Wasn't there a model or rose of tralee or something who got caught doing similar speed, and got off with a warning? Consistancy in sentancing is a joke.

Yeah but she was late for something and didn't realise how fast she was going, totally different set of circumstances

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭creedp

Tiguan Joe wrote: »
    Probably a dumb question but is it possible to limit the speed on all cars to the max speed limit (120kph) before they are even sold so that even if you want to go over speed limit you can't ?
    Why are cars in Ireland capable of speeds so much over the limit.

Why would you only limit them to 120kmh? Even if you did they could still break the national roads speed limits by 20%. Is that not dangerous too? So I think cars should be limited to 100kmh. Oh wait then they could still exceed the rural road speed limit by 25% Is that dangerous? How may people die on rural roads? Where do most accidents occur? Wow this is difficult!!

Advertisement