Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jail for doing 44km/h over the 120km/h limit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounded a bit harsh to me. They'll possibly appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

No previous convictions. Does sound harsh. But he was over the 160k mark. That is like a red rage to a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No previous convictions. Does sound harsh. But he was over the 160k mark. That is like a red rage to a bull.

Yeah but then someone else kills two people when driving illegally and only gets a suspended sentence.

Where the hell is the consistency?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yeah but then someone else kills two people when driving illegally and only gets a suspended sentence.

Where the hell is the consistency?

There isn't any. That's the problem. The courts are a mess and not just with traffic offences.
    It will be reduced on appeal. Probably won't do time. Fine and banned a year
    But it will be a waste of courts time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Jesus, I'd expect the speed to be well over 200 before jail time is even mentioned. That's fúcking ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

no previous convictions for driving offences and that he requires his licence as his partner does not drive.

So he has other previous convictions (non motoring) and he's unemployed.Solicitor wouldnt have specified motoring convitions and would have said he needed it for work if those were the case.

Could be the case that theres no way he could pay a 1000-2000 euro fine, or the car could be a factor. doing 164 in an M5 thats designed to stop at twice that speed is completely different to a lad completely maxing out an old clio.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

For what its worth he'll probably do a whole weekend inside if he's unlucky.

Still a kick in the teeth though. Thought he might even have been uninsured/unlicensed to warrant that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

......So he has other previous convictions (non motoring) and he's unemployed......

That's a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Jesus, I'd expect the speed to be well over 200 before jail time is even mentioned. That's fúcking ridiculous.

Anything over 160kph and it's automatically "dangerous driving" i.e, ye get cuffed, charged, and told when to show up in court.

As long as it was well under 200kph, then with dangerous driving, the ban is mandatory and the jail time is at the judges discretion.
    Now, far more often than not, you get a suit and ye argue for a "careless driving" conviction instead, whereby the ban is at the judges discretion and the jail time isn't really considered. And more often than not, that's what happens, As long as you haven't been caught being naughty before you've been a good lad in the past, regarding records and what not, and you stopped straight away, were very nice to the cauliflower eared pigs arse lovely Gard, etc etc....
    And then you go off on your merry way to paying 3k for insurance for the rest of yer days.

Now, for that not to happen, for him to have gone straight from no convictions to jail, something we're not being told must have been transpired. I'd be inclined to wonder how much lip was dispensed at the side of the road :o

Edit: Just read Eric Cartman's post, Gards might've been tired of him..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only way that happened is he's known to local Gardai and they requested it.

• Advertisement

That's a bit of a stretch.

has no convictions at all and needs the car for work are standard fare in courtrooms, deviating from it is only done when the solicitor wants to be economical with the truth. The only reason they'd swap work for kids as a reason is if one of the kids was disabled, which they would definitely mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

And then you go off on your merry way to paying 3k for insurance for the rest of yer days.

He'd be lucky to get insurance for 3K, after a conviction like that i doubt anyone will insure him for the next ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Why is that speed considered dangerous? Its relatively slow on a well maintained motorway. In my opinion its crazy to even get points for it.

Its one of the reasons I moved to Germany in December to avoid such sillyness. Over here you could be cruising at 200 and be passed like your standing still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I think it's brilliant to see and more of the same is the only thing that will act as a proper deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Anything over 160kph and it's automatically "dangerous driving" i.e, ye get cuffed, charged, and told when to show up in court.

As long as it was well under 200kph, then with dangerous driving, the ban is mandatory and the jail time is at the judges discretion.
    Now, far more often than not, you get a suit and ye argue for a "careless driving" conviction instead, whereby the ban is at the judges discretion and the jail time isn't really considered. And more often than not, that's what happens, As long as you haven't been caught being naughty before you've been a good lad in the past, regarding records and what not, and you stopped straight away, were very nice to the cauliflower eared pigs arse lovely Gard, etc etc....

Now, for that not to happen, for him to have gone straight from no convictions to jail, something we're not being told must have been transpired. I'd be inclined to wonder how much lip was dispensed at the side of the road :o

Edit: Just read Eric Cartman's post, Gards might've been tired of him..

There's no speed threshold as to what constitutes dangerous driving

People detected on motorways at 160/180 have received FCPNs

Google and look up s53 of the RTA 1961 for definition of what is considered dangerous driving. It's an objective test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

deceit wrote: »
    Why is that speed considered dangerous? Its relatively slow on a well maintained motorway. In my opinion its crazy to even get points for it.

Its one of the reasons I moved to Germany in December to avoid such sillyness. Over here you could be cruising at 200 and be passed like your standing still.

You need to take into account that they would be going approx 33% faster than the rest of traffic. The issue isnt solely the risk to themselves, but to others who arent going to be anticipating that speed. Only yesterday i was goong to overtake someone at 80, on a road rated at 80, for someone to come up behind me very quickly at a speed greatly exceeding 80. They weren't there when I started and had to pull out of the overtake halfway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

Relatively low compared to what?

Using the fact that you can legally drive really fast as one of your reasons to emigrate sounds extremely childish to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Something to do with the speed limit being 120kph. I take it you can drive at 200kph an ANY stretch of road in Germany, and that they have no speed limits of any kind whatsoever ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Well you'd better be aware of all the other laws that they have. Starts at a €5 fine in most cities for placing your parking ticket on the side of the dashboard that's away from the footpath. I lived there for years, and there's feck all places left where you can hit 200kmh + for more than 4 or 5 km without getting stuck behind someone or hitting a 120/100/80/80 when it's wet sign.

And the Germans love to get their man, and they take don't do excuses.

Enjoy. (I loved it there BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The Jap. imports were decades ahead :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tiguan Joe

Probably a dumb question but is it possible to limit the speed on all cars to the max speed limit (120kph) before they are even sold so that even if you want to go over speed limit you can't ?
    Why are cars in Ireland capable of speeds so much over the limit.

Tiguan Joe wrote: »
    Probably a dumb question but is it possible to limit the speed on all cars to the max speed limit (120kph) before they are even sold so that even if you want to go over speed limit you can't ?

because manufacturers are free to do it, you can use a car not on public roads, we have to leave some personal responsibility and you may need to go over 120 to overtake or avoid an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

What car was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This is madness.
    Limit was 120. Majority doing near 140 typically so this driver while clearly well over the limit was not at a crazy speed.
    Perhaps there was more to this? Zig zagging through traffic at that speed or driving an unfit car or something but to think that someone could go to jail for doing 100 mph on a quite motorway in a good car is frightening and beyond what I thought even Ross was trying to bring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Tiguan Joe wrote: »

Of course you can, it's 2019, there's little robots on Mars and the Moon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

mickdw wrote: »
    Majority doing near 140 typically so this driver while clearly well over the limit was not at a crazy speed.

No they're not

swarlb wrote: »
    Something to do with the speed limit being 120kph. I take it you can drive at 200kph an ANY stretch of road in Germany, and that they have no speed limits of any kind whatsoever ??

Even on autobahns the recommended maximum speed is modestly low ...... in normal cars most folk don't go over 160kph.....lots of the network isn't totally straight too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Weepsie wrote: »
    Majority doing near 140 typically so this driver while clearly well over the limit was not at a crazy speed.

No they're not

I don't live near motorway but anytime I'm driving from West into Dublin, sitting at 120 would have me overtaken constantly and consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

that may have been in past - before all this noise about the speeding penalties changes ?!?

- not sure if its just me, but actually I had a feel ppl are driving slower this beginning of the year ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I don't live near motorway but anytime I'm driving from West into Dublin, sitting at 120 would have me overtaken constantly and consistently.

Anytime I'm doing a long drive on any motorway in Ireland, doing 110-115, I'm doing the majority of the overtaking, with an occasional person overtaking me. The M1 would be the exception to that.

Anedoctal evidence goes both ways I guess.

Advertisement