Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Project Binky - GT4 in a Mini

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Bit cheeky doing that. Can't wait til the next video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Baaaah. I got excited that the new episode had dropped :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I think I can speak for us all when I say, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Get your kettle on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Only started watching this today:pac: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Given the normal level of Engineering they put in, Are they taking the piss with those arches? Perhaps using them as a template to make others later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

mickdw wrote: »
    Given the normal level of Engineering they put in, Are they taking the piss with those arches? Perhaps using them as a template to make others later.
    Spoiler alert :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

mickdw wrote: »

He said it in the video, they are just to make a mould

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

That's me getting no sleep tonight lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Yet again, completely over engineered to the highest degree. Bravo.

P.T.O hahahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

The way this I'd dragging on, It would make you appreciate how quickly gas money gets stuff done. Celica GT4s will be vintage by the time binky's finished .

• Advertisement

Aye, I get that quality content takes a while to make, and this project isn't their full time work, but 3-4 months between episodes is a bit of a stretch. At least there's a fair length to each episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bigus wrote: »
    The way this I'd dragging on, It would make you appreciate how quickly gas money gets stuff done. Celica GT4s will be vintage by the time binky's finished .

Yes but they have maybe 200 man hours a week on a car... Maybe more. While BO might get about 10-20 on a good week and I would think less on average.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mloc123 wrote: »
    Yes but they have maybe 200 man hours a week on a car... Maybe more. While BO might get about 10-20 on a good week and I would think less on average.
    Plus the quality of the engineering is far beyond the vast majority of what a crowd like Gas Monkey get up to. Their stuff is for the most part off the shelf third party bolt ons with a bit of tweaking and cosmetics. More assembly than engineering. You just can't compare the two on any level the only commonality is they both work on cars.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

The quality of the detail is exquisite, but as a driver I'd be more concerned with the fundamentals of the build and how it may handle. It could turn out be a complete pig for example in pitch and yaw , with dangerous or unmanageable dynamics.
    If I was doing this project I'd have run a rough cobbled together example around a racing circuit/private road to make sure track and wheelbase and weight distribution were fundamentally in the ballpark before getting into fine inconsequential time consuming details like bloody central locking re-engineering. But time will tell ... a long time.

The quality of the detail is exquisite, but as a driver I'd be more concerned with the fundamentals of the build and how it may handle. It could turn out be a complete pig for example in pitch and yaw , with dangerous or unmanageable dynamics.
    If I was doing this project I'd have run a rough cobbled together example around a racing circuit/private road to make sure track and wheelbase and weight distribution were fundamentally in the ballpark before getting into fine inconsequential time consuming details like bloody central locking re-engineering. But time will tell ... a long time.

They build rally cars for a living (I think?) so I would be reasonably confident they know what they are doing here

• Advertisement

You just have to look at the amount of effort to remove the bump steer to realise how serious they want it to handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not much you could do about the wheelbase, and working within the confines of the mini shell, scope for changing the weight distribution is limited to perhaps adding extra to the rear after testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Patww79 wrote: »

Nate

It's like Christmas, can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

OMG that thing they did is class! Can't ruin it for ye but it's flipping great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's fantastic but they really are going to new levels of detail to the point that it will never be finished.

As long as the Patreon donations keep coming in shur!

• Advertisement

Very funny.

Ed China in it too....

Patww79 wrote: »

Yup, 28:30 into it.

And also in at 00:50

Edd had a video on his channel about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss!

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Another great episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

God damn I love this show

I'm useless with cars, engineering, handywork, metalwork, my hands....and yet this is fascinating to watch. Their ability to work around issues and problem solve is brilliant and it's so cool to see them put small pieces of engineering together to build something that is going to be unique and bloody brilliant. I don't understand much of the engineering and I don't bog myself down by feeling stupid about that, but it's just really cool to watch it all unfold.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I really hope they get the car done finally.

It does seem like progress has slowed in the most recent episodes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Best thread on boards

• Advertisement

They're likely to die of old age before it's done :)

Kind of wishing I'd held off till the end so I could watch it all together for the first time.

There getting down to the ****ty little jobs nobody wants to do now and the fun to watch engineering has been finished, plus they become celebrities so they'll spend most of summer out n about at shows and events.

Cardboard fully working heater was class as was finished article.

Ep 18 dropping tonight at 8 according to their twitter.

**** that was quick turn around for them 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

May as well post it so..

Nate

• Advertisement
Advertisement