Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Sounded like a cracker!

Incredibly entertaining first half, and very gritty second half. Some very poor refereeing decisions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If they don't arrest their slide immediately, Grenoble and Jackman will be in ProD2 next season.

Following Castres' win this evening, they're only one point above the drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

7 way scrap now between Castres, Brive, Bordeaux, Montpellier, La Rochelle, Grenoble and Bayonne to avoid the last relegation spot. Bizarrely Oyonnax are now 6 points clear in a playoff spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    If they don't arrest their slide immediately, Grenoble and Jackman will be in ProD2 next season.

Following Castres' win this evening, they're only one point above the drop.

Grenoble have Clermont and Toulouse at home and finish at Lyon. No banker win there in current form.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Neil Francis reporting that Leporte is leaving Toulon next season

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Neil Francis reporting that Leporte is leaving Toulon next season

He is leaving in summer 2016. It's all confirmed. Diego Dominguez is taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

As expected, Castres and to a lesser extent La Rochelle benefitted from this pre-ERC final GW. Castres 5 pointer will be very controversial. Anyway good for them.

Grenoblke are indeed in big trouble. Brive will have to travel to Castres for the second last GW. I think it'll be between these 3.

Top6 is known. Can't see either MHR or UBB making up 6 pts over Oyonnax in the last 3 games.

This season has turned into a nightmare for Montpellier. We won't be in the play-off and thus in Europe next year for the first time in 4 years. We also stop our continuous progression for the first time since we got promotted in the elite league back in 2003. The future of many of our players is uncertain since they had linked theirs to Galthié's one (e.g. Trinh-Duc, Ouedraogo). This summer will be a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y vital for the club !

It's the third season in a row that Grenoble's season has collapsed after the New Year. It's not a good sign regarding the management/coaching and must be a headwreck for the supporters. For Farrell and Jackman's sake I hope they stay up. Farrell has had a great year there with 14 starts in the Top 14.

It's the third season in a row that Grenoble's season has collapsed after the New Year. It's not a good sign regarding the management/coaching and must be a headwreck for the supporters. For Farrell and Jackman's sake I hope they stay up. Farrell has had a great year there with 14 starts in the Top 14.

An average of 29 points a game conceded (only Treviso and London Welsh have worse records) is what has them where they are. Defence was Jackman's remit when he was on coaching staff; I assume it still is now he's head coach.

I feel sorry for MP who has done a great job as skills coach there. Grenoble are tearing it up with ball in hand but are utterly abysmal without it.

I can see them catching Clermont on the hop the week after the ECC final and that's the only reason I think they'll go into the final week not needing a win to stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

How have Biarritz looked this season? How would Eddie's impact be judged?

• Advertisement

Grenoble's Fijian try-machine winger Alipate Ratini has done his ACL and will miss the rest of the season and the World Cup. Terrible blow for the player and a significant blow to a Grenoble team in a relegation dogfight.

USAP losing at home to Albi is a serious kick in their nuts. Could seriously compromise their hope to go straight back up in Top14...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

iroced wrote: »
    USAP losing at home to Albi is a serious kick in their nuts. Could seriously compromise their hope to go straight back up in Top14...

They lost at by only 1 point too. They are away next week to Agen who are two point ahead of them, tough match. If USAP win they are guaranteed to get through lose and their out as Biarritz have a home game against lowly Dax.

Shame if USAP don't go up given their fan base. I see the rugby league team has picked up some fans there in the past year, do you reckon that's because USAP are now playing in the Pro2?

They lost at by only 1 point too. They are away next week to Agen who are two point ahead of them, tough match. If USAP win they are guaranteed to get through lose and their out as Biarritz have a home game against lowly Dax.

Shame if USAP don't go up given their fan base. I see the rugby league team has picked up some fans there in the past year, do you reckon that's because USAP are now playing in the Pro2?

Terrible terrible stuff from USAP. Looks like last year trauma is going to repeat itself.

Last year they had never been in the relegation zone all season. Just for GW26...
    They also failed to save themselves from 2 tricky last games by missing out on getting a TBP win home to Oyonnax in the third last game. And yet they were comfortably ahead and at the peak of their domination Marty decided to be clever and got a YC which changed the dynamics of the game. They needed 2 tries and honestly with the atmosphere heating up in Aimé-Giral and Oyonnax tiring up, we could really see them coming. That YC was a real anticlimax. And from there (the hour mark) the intensity declined and they "just" secured a 22-12 win. They had lost 22-9 in Oyonnax in the first game. And in the end, USAP went down with the same amount of points than Oyonnax... just on their head-to-head results.

I remember of being astonished by the lack of reactions from the club beforehand. Like they couldn't go down. They were not prepared for worst case scenario and got severely burnt from their lack of anticipation.

It would be absolutely crazy and terrible for the fans if this season was going to end the same way. USAP have been in the TOP5 all season if memory serves me right. And they could be kicked out of it on the very last GW. And as you said it's very much looking like it. Agen have only lost 1 game at home all season and it was during GW2 !!!

There's something so much wrong at the head of the club. Such anti-professionalism. Terrible, terrible stuff for the region and the fans. They really deserve better!

---

This week-end was also marked by the relegation of Dax into Federale 1 (third league). They were playing an 8 pts game away to Narbonne and woe betide the loser! Such a historical rugby place "disappearing"... They'll need to take example on Béziers which experienced the Fédérale 1 "hell" a couple of years ago but eventually managed to climb back up in Pro D2!

---

Oh and about rugby league popualrity in Perpignan, maybe some fans followed more les Dragons Catalans with USAP decline now, but the Pyrénées-Orientales county is a historical rugby league "bastion" in France (like the Aude county with e.g. Carcassonne & Lézignan and the Haute-Garonne county with e.g. Toulouse & Saint-Gaudens). Just as an example, very close from where my missus' from, there's actually a 3k inhabitants village (Palau-del-Vidre) playing in the Elite 1 championship (1st league in France). Such an achievement :) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

There's talk in the midi that Bayonne and Biarritz will merge next year. It could happen as early as August.

Two massive clubs very close to each other merging can't be great for their fans who probably don't get on the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

There's talk in the midi that Bayonne and Biarritz will merge next year. It could happen as early as August.

Two massive clubs very close to each other merging can't be great for their fans who probably don't get on the best.

Wasn't this mooted before? That combination could be a force to be reckoned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I wonder what this will mean for Eddie and if true then it changes the importance of them making the play-offs.

Classic "serpent de mer" (ever-recurring issue) resurfaces when the end of the season approaches.

Hard to distinguish reality from fantasy in all these talkings. Bayonne president publicly said no to the merging. But apparently the issue has been discussed at the federation between Blanco and his friends. Afflelou belied news about his return to business. Fans don't want to hear about it. But Basques people from other places than Bayonne or Biarritz would not spit in this merge's face in the sense that they'd like the idea of having a strong Basque team representing their region/culture/tradition/etc...

Will be a huge weekend in the T14 at both ends of the table.

Match of the weekend will be Racing hosting SF. Whoever wins takes 4th spot and a home QF. With Sexton not playing for a few weeks, he'll surely be back in the side and they'll be pretty pumped up for this game.

Bordeaux hosting Oyonnax to make it very interesting in the fight for 6th spot with Montpellier hosting Bayonne also in a relatively easy fixture, one would think. There could be only 2 points between the 3 of them by the end of the weekend.

It's a huge weekend for Grenoble too. With Bayonne, Brive, La Rochelle and Castres all on the road, they've an opportunity to move clear of relegation as they host Clermont. It all really depends on which Clermont side turn up.

Last few weeks of the T14 are the best weeks of any league in the game due to the number of sides still in contention for the title and relegation. 23 games in and literally every single team still has a chance of either winning the title or being relegated.

I think the top six will stay as is.

Bordeaux and Montpellier are six behind Oyonnax and here are the remaining matches for the three:

Bordeaux: Oyonnax (H), Bayonne (H), Toulouse (A)
    Montpellier: Bayonne (H), Stade F (A), Clermont (H)
    Oyonnax: Bordeaux (A), Lyon (H), Toulon (A)

Oyonnax will beat Lyon at home and I don't think UBB or Montpellier will make up a 10/11 point gap.

There's so little between the teams in the league though (Oyonnax are in the playoffs but 10 points from the relegation places!) that anything could happen. The big teams aren't as strong at home this season either, Clermont have lost twice at SMM for example. There's too many teams in contention for relegation to make any kind of prediction there.

• Advertisement

I think the top six will stay as is.

Bordeaux and Montpellier are six behind Oyonnax and here are the remaining matches for the three:

Bordeaux: Oyonnax (H), Bayonne (H), Toulouse (A)
    Montpellier: Bayonne (H), Stade F (A), Clermont (H)
    Oyonnax: Bordeaux (A), Lyon (H), Toulon (A)

Oyonnax will beat Lyon at home and I don't think UBB or Montpellier will make up a 10/11 point gap.
    Yeah that was my analysis too at the end of last GW. Unfortunately for me :o...

For the top2, Toulouse with Brive at home, Grenoble away and UBB at home could well finish in front of either Clermont or Toulon or both and secure a semi-final. Which would already be some achievement when you put their season into perspective.

Grenoble have Clermont (H), Toulouse (H) and Lyon (A) left. Both home games will be tricky and Lyon will be relegated by then so won't be under pressure. Lyon can go either way as suppose, either the Lyon players will have a chip on the shoulder and want to finish on a high or they will be eyeing the summer holday.

There has to be questions about Landreau, Jackman et al as Grenoble have collapsed in the last half/third of the season for the third year in a row, going from playoff contention to relegation trouble. From an Irish perspective hopefully they stay up, particularly with Chris Farrell starting regularly for them with James Hart and Denis Coulson also in the squad.

Some news out of Clermont, Zac Guildford is leaving this week after terminating his contract early. Personal problems are the issue unfortunately and he's returning to NZ. While he wasn't a first choice player he did start 16 Top14 matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I see Sky are showing Racing v Stade - SS5 red button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Brumbies Jesse Mogg off to Montpellier. Ultimately he's turned out to be a bit disappointing but with the right coaching (hmmm Jake White, not sure) he could be a very good signing.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Brumbies Jesse Mogg off to Montpellier. Ultimately he's turned out to be a bit disappointing but with the right coaching (hmmm Jake White, not sure) he could be a very good signing.

Given he coached Mogg when Mogg played for Australia I think that's a very unfair comment to make.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Given he coached Mogg when Mogg played for Australia I think that's a very unfair comment to make.

From memory you have connections to the Sharks area and by extension Jake White, but when Mogg first burst onto the scene he was a flair player who liked to run. He subsequently became mostly a kicking robot under White at the Brumbies. That's my impression. However, I freely admit I really only watch the Aussie teams these days when their opposition is from across the ditch, and maybe you are more up on the play. For me, Mogg became a Wallaby in spite of White not because of him, helped from memory (but might be wrong there) by Folau not yet being around and Beale being on the outer etc.

I think Mogg could be a really good player, however based on what I have seen of Jake White coached teams over the years, I'm not confident we will see flair Mogg instead of punting Mogg.

Sorry if that seems unfair.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    From memory you have connections to the Sharks area and by extension Jake White, but when Mogg first burst onto the scene he was a flair player who liked to run. He subsequently became mostly a kicking robot under White at the Brumbies. That's my impression. However, I freely admit I really only watch the Aussie teams these days when their opposition is from across the ditch, and maybe you are more up on the play. For me, Mogg became a Wallaby in spite of White not because of him, helped from memory (but might be wrong there) by Folau not yet being around and Beale being on the outer etc.

I think Mogg could be a really good player, however based on what I have seen of Jake White coached teams over the years, I'm not confident we will see flair Mogg instead of punting Mogg.

Sorry if that seems unfair.

I don't have any JW or Sharks connections, but I'm willing to recognise that he is a coach with a consistent track record of significantly improving teams. He was absolutely not a kicking robot under White (most people had their minds made up about the Brumbies style of play without even watching them purely because they were Jake White coached), he was a well rounded player who took the right decisions. He made plenty of good 'flair' plays from 15 under Jake White, but also controlled the game very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Sky have Grenoble v Clermont live on Saturday evening and the Paris derby on Sunday.

CEgLFgUWoAAfTHf.jpg

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    I don't have any JW or Sharks connections, but I'm willing to recognise that he is a coach with a consistent track record of significantly improving teams. He was absolutely not a kicking robot under White (most people had their minds made up about the Brumbies style of play without even watching them purely because they were Jake White coached), he was a well rounded player who took the right decisions. He made plenty of good 'flair' plays from 15 under Jake White, but also controlled the game very well.

He improves results to a certain extent, yes. In his long coaching career he has a 2004 trinations title, and the 2007 RWC. His teams don't play the style of rugby like what I've seen this year from the Canes & Highlanders in 2015, or even from the Waratahs last year or the Reds in 2011. And I still think myself that Mogg has underachieved.

Anyway, this is the French cafe thread, so people can make up their own minds watching Montpellier & Mogg under White's guidance next season.

Advertisement