Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Grenoble losing at home 15-3 to Clermont after 30 minutes. Their defending is just awful. Chouly went past their full back before offloading Nakaitaci for the second try. He didn't go through. He didn't step him. He just changed direction about 5 yards away from him and the full back just fell off him.

If they don't get the finger out, they go into their last two games only 1 point off relegation and they've worse points difference than the two teams beneath them (although they've won more games than Bayonne which is the first method of separation).

And Fofana with the third try. Just went through two tackles from halfway and under the sticks. Farrell on the bench. He can't be any worse than those on the field, hopefully he gets on soon.

Jackman is going to be under serious pressure.

EDIT: And Farrell gets on due to injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Thought Grenoble had got a try back there, but just a penalty......went for the corner and got it over the second time. Clermont still very much in control of this game, so a very serious situation for Jackman and co.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Thought Grenoble had got a try back there, but just a penalty......went for the corner and got it over the second time. Clermont still very much in control of this game, so a very serious situation for Jackman and co.

Important to get the try just before the break but given the way that the French BP system works, Clermont will be eager to keep the foot down and score tries if Grenoble do get another one back.

Jackman is under contract until 2017 but if they're relegated, I can't see him being retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This is a much changed Clermont side as well.

• Advertisement

This is much changed Clermont side as well.

It is but some big strike runners still in the backs and it's in open play where Grenoble are so weak defensively. Fofana and Nakaitaci are p*ssing through them for fun.

Grenoble have Toulouse at home next weekend - can't see them winning that - and then Lyon away - Lyon are gone, so Grenoble should be able to pick up points there - they'll be badly needed.

Nice to see UBB pick up a win today - stops the rot.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Grenoble have Toulouse at home next weekend - can't see them winning that - and then Lyon away - Lyon are gone, so Grenoble should be able to pick up points there - they'll be badly needed.

I'm not so sure. Lyon didn't roll over for La Rochelle today, holding them to a draw. In their last T14 game, I'd say they'll throw the kitchen sink. They've only lost 4 of 12 at home this season, to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Every Grenoble player who drops or knocks on the ball needs to get a % pay-cut.

Abendanon cruises through for another try. Shame as Grenoble were right on the ASM try line before knocking on. Glad Abendanon got it after showing the flair to try and run from his own line got them into Grenoble's half.

All too easy again, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

I enjoy mediocre Top 14 games more than mediocre Rabo games.

Parra on now for Clermont to keep the pressure on.

That's a try for Grenoble.....Clermont bonus point no on now unless they can answer that.

Fofana romps in for an opportunistic try, so bonus point advantage restored.

Ugh. Chris Farrell throws an intercept try to put the nail in the coffin and ensure they're not going to get a losing BP.

Buer wrote: »
    Ugh. Chris Farrell throws an intercept try to put the nail in the coffin and ensure they're not going to get a losing BP.

I don't think they were ever going to get the LBP. Poor performance from Grenoble. It's going to be a right scramble to sty in the Top 14.

Montpellier and Bordeaux are back in contention for a playoff spot now. La Rochelle's draw probably makes them safe (that's a run of 8 matches undefeated) while the other relegation contenders all failed to pick up points.

La Rochelle 52
    Brive 48
    Grenoble 48
    Castres 47
    Bayonne 47
    Lyon 37

W25:
    Grenoble vs Toulouse
    Bordeaux vs Bayonne
    Castres vs Brive
    La Rochelle vs Racing Metro

W26:
    Bayonne vs La Rochelle
    Brive vs Stade Francais
    Lyon vs Grenoble
    Racing Metro vs Castres

Montpellier and Bordeaux are back in contention for a playoff spot now. La Rochelle's draw probably makes them safe (that's a run of 8 matches undefeated) while the other relegation contenders all failed to pick up points.

La Rochelle 52
    Brive 48
    Grenoble 48
    Castres 47
    Bayonne 47
    Lyon 37

W25:
    Grenoble vs Toulouse
    Bordeaux vs Bayonne
    Castres vs Brive
    La Rochelle vs Racing Metro

W26:
    Bayonne vs La Rochelle
    Brive vs Stade Francais
    Lyon vs Grenoble
    Racing Metro vs Castres

Very hard to call. I too would say La Rochelle are safe enough, but Lyon could be joined by any one of Grenoble, Bayonne, Castres and Brive.

Last day will be fascinating, when all matches are played at the same time. I listened to it on the radio in a hire car en route from an airport in France a couple of years ago - they had commentators at every game, and a group in studio, and it was brilliant. I'd love to listen in to that again in two weeks' time on the internet radio, but have no idea which station it would be on. Anyone any ideas?

I can see any of 10th, 11th, 12th or 13th being relegated at this point.

Toulouse are playing for a home semi final and won't be taking that game lightly at all but I don't think Bayonne will get anything in Bordeaux. They might well beat La Rochelle though who could be one of the few sides on the final day who have nothing to play for.

I can see Brive having to rely on bonus points and hoping one of the others loses their last two games.

You'd have to say that Grenoble and Brive are the most likely to lose both their remaining games out of those 4 though.

That Castres v Brive match will be a biggie.

• Advertisement

In the event of a tie, the first differentials are the head-to-head results.

1. The number of points earned
    2. The points differential
    3. The tries differential

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Biarritz look like spending another year in the D2 after today's last round

P_1 wrote: »

All over, they are in ProD2 again next season. Perpignan in the semi-finals.

Racing blowing a huge opportunity at home to Stade Francais. Parisse was red carded in the 18th minute and they're losing 28-19 in the last 10 minutes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

P_1 wrote: »

I've been loosely following their results and it looked like they really struggled away from home, quelle surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I've been loosely following their results and it looked like they really struggled away from home, quelle surprise!

Is Eddie O Sullivan still involved with them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

roundymac wrote: »
    Is Eddie O Sullivan still involved with them?

He's the head coach

So Racing blew that - home quarter final down the tubes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Buer wrote: »
    Racing blowing a huge opportunity at home to Stade Francais. Parisse was red carded in the 18th minute and they're losing 28-19 in the last 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVTil0xZS-0

a terrible decision. One racing player held him back which caused the collision with a player in the air.

• Advertisement

aimee1 wrote: »
    a terrible decision. One racing player held him back which caused the collision with a player in the air.

Hard to tell from that angle but he appears to lift his leg on the way down which does a lot of the damage. It that's the case, he has to go.

Advertisement