Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

aimee1 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVTil0xZS-0

a terrible decision. One racing player held him back which caused the collision with a player in the air.

Well, the Ulster fans will be glad to see someone else getting a red...

But that looks harsh. Parisse seems to have his eyes on the ball the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Buer wrote: »
    Hard to tell from that angle but he appears to lift his leg on the way down which does a lot of the damage. It that's the case, he has to go.

i think being dragged back as he jumped might have caused that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

aimee1 wrote: »
    i think being dragged back as he jumped might have caused that though.

It might have but I'm not sure to that extent where his leg comes up that high/far when his other leg is on the ground. Parisse for all his good points has a slight petulant streak in him that has raised its head once or twice.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the disciplinary judge the red card sufficient and no further suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Neoulous

All over, they are in ProD2 again next season. Perpignan in the semi-finals.

What a stressful team they are to support! Couldn't do the job at home to Albi last week and had to pull an extraordinary game today in Agen. We were behind all the game. Came back twice but both times to offer easy penalties to Agen and the lead back. But we finished better than them and a 48m last min penalty gave us the win. From out of top 5 (with Biarritz losing in the last min) to third place and a home semi vs... Agen. Phew...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Neoulous wrote: »
    What a stressful team they are to support! Couldn't do the job at home to Albi last week and had to pull an extraordinary game today in Agen. We were behind all the game. Came back twice but both time to offer easy penalties to Agen and the lead back. But we finished better than them and a 48m plast min penalty gave us the win. From out of top 5 to second place and a home semi vs... Agen. Phew...

Unbelievable last couple of games. After losing to Albi at home I thought they lost their chance as playing Agen at home was a tough ask. Now a home semi which will be huge. They are a side that should never have been relegated. Really hope they go up although if they do out of the two promoted sides I can only see Pau with all their new signings staying up. That side La Rochelle went up via the playoffs and after looking doomed for most of the season aren't that far off the playoff positions it's that tight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Unbelievable last couple of games. After losing to Albi at home I thought they lost their chance as playing Agen at home was a tough ask. Now a home semi which will be huge. They are a side that should never have been relegated. Really hope they go up although if they do out of the two promoted sides I can only see Pau with all their new signings staying up. That side La Rochelle went up via the playoffs and after looking doomed for most of the season aren't that far off the playoff positions it's that tight!

I'd love Perppignan to go back up - it's where they should be.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I'd love Perppignan to go back up - it's where they should be.

Yeah we should have never been relegated in the first place. But no one at the club seemed to realise how our situation was getting worse and worse last year :rolleyes:...

Now we have this home semi so we don't have the right to bottle it. We have to go to Ernest-Wallon and play Mont-de-Marsan or Albi for a top14 spot.

But I'm not yet reassured about how our club is managed...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Neoulous wrote: »
    Yeah we should have never been relegated in the first place. But no one at the club seemed to realise how our situation was getting worse and worse last year :rolleyes:...

Now we have this home semi so we don't have the right to bottle it. We have to go to Ernest-Wallon and play Mont-de-Marsan or Albi for a top14 spot.

But I'm not yet reassured about how our club is managed...
    Losing your first choice 10 and your top tryscorer to injury was what screwed Perpignan IMO.

Losing your first choice 10 and your top tryscorer to injury was what screwed Perpignan IMO.
    That's true. But can't explain alone how we went from playing HCup to getting relegated in a couple of months.

The real issue for USAP is the (in)competence of our head. The way they managed our 2 finals in a row with the long-awaited Brennus was catastrophic. Brunel actually said it tacitly. I remember, before our second final, how much he was repeting that this was a key game to mark the history of our club. No one followed his footsteps at the head of the club :eek: :rolleyes:... And in the end we lost it to Clermont and it looked like we didn't care... We almost looked blasé :rolleyes:...

And last year, I actually know it from a young player (who played a couple of games this year but mainly for the "espoirs" team) who's studying with me this year, no one realised that we could go down... until it actually happened. Such unprofessionalism is not acceptable. We can complain all we want about our lack of cash power now but if we don't rearrange the head structure of the club and become more professional, we'll go nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭nc6000

Will Nicolas Mas return if USAP get back to the Top14?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

nc6000 wrote: »
    Will Nicolas Mas return if USAP get back to the Top14?
    I can't see this happening. And I think it'll be a mistake from USAP. They have to continue building a new squad with a mid to long term plan.

The only thing I could see him do if he wants is get in their staff and coach the forwards.

Montpellier and Bordeaux are back in contention for a playoff spot now. La Rochelle's draw probably makes them safe (that's a run of 8 matches undefeated) while the other relegation contenders all failed to pick up points.

La Rochelle 52
    Brive 48
    Grenoble 48
    Castres 47
    Bayonne 47
    Lyon 37

W25:
    Grenoble vs Toulouse
    Bordeaux vs Bayonne
    Castres vs Brive
    La Rochelle vs Racing Metro

W26:
    Bayonne vs La Rochelle
    Brive vs Stade Francais
    Lyon vs Grenoble
    Racing Metro vs Castres

Unless Lyon don't give a damn about their last game at home (which I doubt) I think Grenoble will join them in ProD2.

Castres will beat Brive. I can even see them getting the TBP.
    Brive should beat SF on the last GW since the latter (home to Montpellier next week and I can't see us getting anything there) will have nothing to play for and will have all their focus on their 1/4f (particularly since it has been 6 years they haven't made it to the top6 :eek: !!!).
    Bayonne should beat La Rochelle.
    And I can see La Rochelle beating Racing.

---

And for the top6.

Oyonnax 58
    Racing 58
    Montpellier 55
    Bordeaux 55

W25:
    Oyonnax vs Lyon
    Stade Français vs Montpellier
    Bordeaux vs Bayonne

W26:
    Toulon vs Oyonnax
    Racing Metro vs Castres
    Montpellier vs Clermont
    Toulouse vs Bordeaux

I see Oyonnax beating Lyon which will see them through.
    Racing could well lose in La Rochelle. And Bordeaux should beat Bayonne. Montpellier will lose in Paris. SF will look to secure their home 1/4f.
    So it'll be between Racing & Bordeaux and on the last game I can't really see Racing losing home to Castres even if Castres play for their survival. And I can't see Bordeaux winning away to Toulouse. So top6 should not change.

Actually, now that I remember the discussion we had on the ERC topic about Toulon winning thanks to their big money, Racing is a perfect example to demonstrate it's not that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

iroced wrote: »
    Unless Lyon don't give a damn about their last game at home (which I doubt) I think Grenoble will join them in ProD2.

Castres will beat Brive. I can even see them getting the TBP.
    Brive should beat SF on the last GW since the latter (home to Montpellier next week and I can't see us getting anything there) will have nothing to play for and will have all their focus on their 1/4f (particularly since it has been 6 years they haven't made it to the top6 :eek: !!!).
    Bayonne should beat La Rochelle.
    And I can see La Rochelle beating Racing.

---

And for the top6.

Oyonnax 58
    Racing 58
    Montpellier 55
    Bordeaux 55

W25:
    Oyonnax vs Lyon
    Stade Français vs Montpellier
    Bordeaux vs Bayonne

W26:
    Toulon vs Oyonnax
    Racing Metro vs Castres
    Montpellier vs Clermont
    Toulouse vs Bordeaux

I see Oyonnax beating Lyon which will see them through.
    Racing could well lose in La Rochelle. And Bordeaux should beat Bayonne. Montpellier will lose in Paris. SF will look to secure their home 1/4f.
    So it'll be between Racing & Bordeaux and on the last game I can't really see Racing losing home to Castres even if Castres play for their survival. And I can't see Bordeaux winning away to Toulouse. So top6 should not change.

Actually, now that I remember the discussion we had on the ERC topic about Toulon winning thanks to their big money, Racing is a perfect example to demonstrate it's not that simple.

Isn't it some acheivement by Oyonnax to get in to the top 6? Small town, small club, and as I recall, they barely hung on to stay up in the top 14 on last day of last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Michalak has broken his hand so is out of the run in as well as a doubt for the RWC squad now too (which he may not have been involved in anyway).

Buer wrote: »
    Michalak has broken his hand so is out of the run in as well as a doubt for the RWC squad now too (which he may not have been involved in anyway).
    I'm not sure he would have getting much pitch time for Toulon in any case. Since his poor performance against Leinster Giteau is now preferred at 10 with Mermoz or JMH at 12.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Isn't it some acheivement by Oyonnax to get in to the top 6? Small town, small club, and as I recall, they barely hung on to stay up in the top 14 on last day of last season.
    In fairness, if USAP was better managed, they should have gone down last season. But for 3 pts better in their H2H result they sent the catalans down.

And no this is not "some" achievement, this is a "huuuge" achievement to make a top6 finish :p. Incredible season from them. The only team they haven't beaten (yet, they play in Toulon on GW26, who knows :p...) this year is Toulon, the triple European Champion. They have 2 home defeats only (to both ERC finalists) but managed to beat Clermont in Marcel Michelin :eek:. They love Paris :D, beat both clubs twice :eek:! Fantastic stuff from them and a lesson to many top14 sides.

Toulouse have won their last five including away to Toulon (Marseille) and Stade Francais.
    Grenoble have lost their last four and three of those were at home.

There's only one winner if form means anything and Lyon away is a lottery as has been suggested here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Biarritz and Bayonne potential merger hitting the news again. Will it go happen this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Biarritz and Bayonne potential merger hitting the news again. Will it go happen this time?

It's been more or less confirmed. Fans from both sides not happy. Management will give the example of Bordeaux and Begles merging but not sure if that'll work. Also EOS will be out of a job, he's not wanted in the new set up. Can't say I'm suprised as he didn't even get Biarritz in the playoffs which should be a sackable offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Sexton on the bench for Racing this weekend. Dropped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Toulouse have won their last five including away to Toulon (Marseille) and Stade Francais.
    Grenoble have lost their last four and three of those were at home.

There's only one winner if form means anything and Lyon away is a lottery as has been suggested here.

i really think Toulouse can sneak ahead of clermont and claim 2nd spot and automatic semi with the last 2 games they have, which would be amazing considering the season they've had.

Oyonnax 15 points and two tries ahead at half-time, they are on their way to a BP win. This will put them 8 points clear of Montpellier and Bordeaux who aren't likely to win their remaining two matches.

Oyonnax - Lyon: 28-10 FT. 3 tries to 1.

Lyon denied them the TBP in the last 10 min. Oyonnax were close to claim it back but Tonga Huia could not control the ball in the try area.

Anyway they're 7 pts clear off Montpellier that are away to SF tomorrow and UBB that will be away to Toulouse in the last game. So, for me, it's official, Oyonnax are in the playoff and in the next ERC! Bravo!

Two Toulouse forwards gift Grenoble a try. One passed from the base, the other failed to catch the ball and it fell to Nigel Hunt to walk it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Ahahahahahah the streaker, check him out. That was gas

Edit: Wearing ballstranglers and a cape, he high-fived a player, sidestepped security, swan dived in under posts, and flipped a security guard over his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

This game is great craic and I'm not talking about the streaker :p

Very surprised at the (current) outcome of the Grenoble-Toulouse game. Grenoble leading 19-3 with less than a half hour to go.

In the meantime, Castres is on its way to the TBP (they need one more try) home to Brive at HT while Bayonne is losing 10-6 in Bordeaux and La Rochelle leading 15-13 vs Racing.

Jeez... it'll be very close again. The second relegation spot is bound to be decided in the end of the last GW :eek:!

Grenoble 22-6 up with 15 to go. Win is wrapped up and two more tries would give them a priceless BP.

If La Rochelle win today they would have a small chance of making the playoffs! What a mad league.

All over in Stade des Alpes. Grenoble won 32-11 (2 tries to 1) and are safe. Toulouse will certainly have to play a (home) quarter final now.

• Advertisement

Two late Bayonne tries deny Bordeaux a try bonus. That's why I prefer the French rule, you are made to defend your try bonus for 80 minutes. Wins for Grenoble and Castres (BP) have made them pretty much safe.

It looks like it will be down to Brive or Bayonne next week. Brive (48) host Stade Francais and Bayonne (47) host La Rochelle.

Advertisement