Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Tyler better not get injured staying away from everyone.... Garryowen need him now...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Tyler better not get injured staying away from everyone.... Garryowen need him now...

AIL season cancelled?

More a commentary on how inhured he gets, walking to the kitchen...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Supporters club been running poll on best team of pro era
    15 Zebo
    14 Dougie
    13 Tipoki
    12 Mafi
    11 Earls
    10 ROG
    9 Stringer
    8 Axel
    7 David Wallace
    6 POM
    5 POC
    4 DOC
    3 John Hayes
    2 Fla
    1 Claw

Bench votes still to come.

• Advertisement

Worth pointing out there were no votes for 7,8 or 10. Not saying there should have been, though would have been interesting to see the vote breakdown for 8.

Caranica wrote: »
    Worth pointing out there were no votes for 7,8 or 10. Not saying there should have been, though would have been interesting to see the vote breakdown for 8.
    meant to add that. Would have been interesting to see that breakdown all right

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Three Red Kings with a really nice gesture at the moment:

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/status/1247253243559923716

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Does that mean Wallace, Foley and ROG were put into the team automatically?

I understand that status afforded to Foley given the circumstances but, on the basis of best team of the professional era, there's absolutely a discussion to be had regarding Leamy in the 8 jersey. I expect Foley would still get the nod but the bloke who replaced him at 8 for both province and country is probably worth having in the mix. Quinlan was MOTM in the 2008 final but I recall Leamy being absolutely brilliant that day.

Leamy was an absolute pig of a player. I'd say teams hated facing him given his aggression levels. Weird to see him in the Leinster set up these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Buer wrote: »

I understand that status afforded to Foley given the circumstances but, on the basis of best team of the professional era, there's absolutely a discussion to be had regarding Leamy in the 8 jersey. I expect Foley would still get the nod but the bloke who replaced him at 8 for both province and country is probably worth having in the mix. Quinlan was MOTM in the 2008 final but I recall Leamy being absolutely brilliant that day.

Leamy was an absolute pig of a player. I'd say teams hated facing him given his aggression levels. Weird to see him in the Leinster set up these days.

Leamy was in the mix for six...POM win by a landslide... couldn't have him in for 3 positions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In fairness it's a bit of fun twitter poll being run by the supporters club. It's not a definitive list.

In fairness it's a bit of fun twitter poll being run by the supporters club. It's not a definitive list.

No definitive list would have Zebo at 15. I think there was a lot of heart over head voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

No definitive list would have Zebo at 15. I think there was a lot of heart over head voting.

While Zebo isn't an all time great, I'm struggling to think of someone better. Warwick, Hurley, Crotty, Payne... All grand players but no standout. Even Christian Cullen couldn't make an impact from the Munster 15 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Scandalous that Brian Lima isnt in that team

While Zebo isn't an all time great, I'm struggling to think of someone better. Warwick, Hurley, Crotty, Payne... All grand players but no standout. Even Christian Cullen couldn't make an impact from the Munster 15 shirt.

Felix Jones deserves a shout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebo has to be in any all time XV. With Earls and Howlett certs on the wing Zebo goes to 15 though his appearances there for Munster were rare.

Zebo has to be in any all time XV. With Earls and Howlett certs on the wing Zebo goes to 15 though his appearances there for Munster were rare.

Agreed, he's our top try scorer, tho Earls is getting close. I love a stat so had a quick look at Zebo's 144 total appearances:
    - 78 starts at 11
    - 48 starts at 15
    - 18 appearances off the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

aloooof wrote: »
    Felix Jones deserves a shout too.

"I approve of this post"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,748 ✭✭✭✭phog

or maybe the fact he's one of our top try scorers?

phog wrote: »
    or maybe the fact he's one of our top try scorers?

Full back isn't primarily about try scoring though. It's about defence, particularly under high balls.

• Advertisement

Leamy has to be in our all time back row... he was an utter animal and absolutely mental....

Full back isn't primarily about try scoring though. It's about defence, particularly under high balls.

Again, who cares? It's a bit of fun internet poll. No need to be going into analysis mode.

I don't think Zebo had any issues under the high ball. General defence, he wasn't exceptional but he wasn't a notably poor defender either. He would be a very notable absentee if he wasn't in the team.

I'm surprised how quickly Shaun Payne appears to have been dismissed. Incredibly committed and consistent performer for Munster.

Jones was probably the best out and out full back though. His profile probably suffered by being purely a fullback and therefore not really getting a look in for Ireland as much as he deserved (with injury obviously playing a massive part too).

Again, who cares? It's a bit of fun internet poll. No need to be going into analysis mode.

Indeed. If someone wants to go into detail, they should go to some sort of discussion forum and even then would have to seek out a section or even a thread dedicated to Munster.

Indeed. If someone wants to go into detail, they should go to some sort of discussion forum and even then would have to seek out a section or even a thread dedicated to Munster.

Well if you want to discuss something that has meaning then fair enough. But how fans vote in an internet poll?

And nobody has forgotten about Shaun Payne. He came second to Zebo in said poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Leamy has to be in our all time back row... he was an utter animal and absolutely mental....

Yeah, think he'd be ahead of Foley at 8 and O'Mahony at 6. He played pretty well in one of those tests down in NZ in 2006.

Suppose O'Mahony captained the Lions, but he got dumped after the first test like Ben Te'o. Just too many holes in his game.

And in that description lies his biggest strength and greatest weakness. If he didn't have someone keeping him on his leash, he'd lose the head. In his younger days, he carried out some borderline GBH on the pitch. I think it was against Old Belvedere in the AIL when he copped a month suspension for kneeing a prone player in the face which wasn't his first suspension. He had previously missed the U21 RWC due to a suspension in the AIL also. This was the turn of the century when you'd need to do something pretty bad to cop a ban in the Celtic League let alone the AIL!

Fortunately, with Munster and Ireland, he had guys like Foley and POC in his ear. Along with Kidney they managed to harness that aggression into fantastic performances. Even that couldn't do the trick always though! One of the funniest moments was when a referee called POC and Leamy over and, when Leamy started mouthing off, the referee asked him if he wanted to lose 10m. Leamy instantly blurted out "Yes!". I don't think I'll ever forget the expression on POC's face as the referee marched them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

And in that description lies his biggest strength and greatest weakness. If he didn't have someone keeping him on his leash, he'd lose the head. In his younger days, he carried out some borderline GBH on the pitch. I think it was against Old Belvedere in the AIL when he copped a month suspension for kneeing a prone player in the face which wasn't his first suspension. He had previously missed the U21 RWC due to a suspension in the AIL also. This was the turn of the century when you'd need to do something pretty bad to cop a ban in the Celtic League let alone the AIL!

Fortunately, with Munster and Ireland, he had guys like Foley and POC in his ear. Along with Kidney they managed to harness that aggression into fantastic performances. Even that couldn't do the trick always though! One of the funniest moments was when a referee called POC and Leamy over and, when Leamy started mouthing off, the referee asked him if he wanted to lose 10m. Leamy instantly blurted out "Yes!". I don't think I'll ever forget the expression on POC's face as the referee marched them back.

I happened to be reading his wikipedia page recently. There are numerous references to him being cited or banned after "incidents" without any explanation of what these incidents were.

• Advertisement

and hasn't changed since becoming a coach from what I've seen between cashel, garryowen and elsewhere

Advertisement